• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
are we really banning PS2 because the transformations are stupid,not because theyre unfair?i really dont wanna think were banning it on baised oponions.
Stupid as in they inhibit gameplay. All of them slow down the match.

Air: Keeps people in the air even longer than they already are.
Electric: Pushes you away and off of the stage constantly.
Ice: Traction makes it even harder to approach opponents; occasional ice slip.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Stupid as in they inhibit gameplay. All of them slow down the match.
None of them legitimately get in the way of gameplay as bad as one like Warioware does.

Air: Keeps people in the air even longer than they already are.
This is reason to CP the stage, as characters with stronger airgames will benefit from it. I'd also like to note that I've never died from G&W's u-air when jumping, and I play Olimar (who is pretty floaty).

Electric: Pushes you away and off of the stage constantly.
Good reason to CP the stage, as characters who can produce "items" like Diddy, Dedede, and Zero Suit Samus (if it appears early enough in the match) have to use different strategies if they wish to continue using their items due to the stage pushing them off if they aren't paying attention. There's even a decent amount of platforms to fight on if you don't want to land on the conveyer belts (though you could also land on them on purpose if you want to move in their direction faster for whatever reason).

Ice: Traction makes it even harder to approach opponents; occasional ice slip.
It forces you to change up strategy, which again, makes it CP-worthy. Also note a couple characters (like the IC's) aren't affected by the ice. I also recall Mic saying that ice and low gravity on stages were a reason to CP, not ban, but if he did it was quite some time ago...

Browny

Smash Hater
PS2 is the most annoying stage in the game which doesnt have stage hazards fly out of nowhere to KO you (ie, flatzone 2, 75m, mario bros, warioware)

you have any idea how long certain characters can stall in the air on the stage... get sonic to double spring up, its like a 30 second fall. and electricity one... dont even bother using a single dsmash on that stage while near the edge. and it completely destroys set combos. whinge all you want about brawl having no combos, but it actually does, and completely ruins sonic, lucario, luigi, mario, kirby and other characters with really good low % combos

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
OK...im back...it's been a while since i was a part here...eh...

PS2 is the most annoying stage ever...they are fine though...exept for electric, i still have a grudge about it...eh...we could always use another stage...CP
WAIT air...nah. BANNED!!

Moving stages:
One person: Like this actually exists
Realistic: Easy, moving borders KO easily. Don't be fooled, it does disrupt camping, and Rainbow cruise is legal. Rumble falls and Mushroomy Kingdom have other reasons.
when i was on here last, i thought we were making r.falls=cp...

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
PS2 is the most annoying stage in the game which doesnt have stage hazards fly out of nowhere to KO you (ie, flatzone 2, 75m, mario bros, warioware)

you have any idea how long certain characters can stall in the air on the stage... get sonic to double spring up, its like a 30 second fall. and electricity one... dont even bother using a single dsmash on that stage while near the edge. and it completely destroys set combos. whinge all you want about brawl having no combos, but it actually does, and completely ruins sonic, lucario, luigi, mario, kirby and other characters with really good low % combos
If they had good low % combos then it'd work out for them since the stage is neutral at the beginning of the match, giving them time to work their magic, then it switches giving the otehr opponent the benefit, or making it a more even fight. Sounds ok for me?

AlexX

Smash Ace
Final Destination is highly annoying against good projectile spammers. That doesn't mean it should be banned.

you have any idea how long certain characters can stall in the air on the stage... get sonic to double spring up, its like a 30 second fall.
People with good airgames can deal with it easily (or anyone of the person who tries to stall idles after their 3rd jump), not to mention it's only temporary.

and electricity one...dont even bother using a single dsmash on that stage while near the edge. and it completely destroys set combos.
There's platforms to perform them on, both in the middle and on the side.

whinge all you want about brawl having no combos, but it actually does, and completely ruins sonic, lucario, luigi, mario, kirby and other characters with really good low % combos
Yes, completely ignore that the stage is normal most of the time. Do the combos at that time if one of the transformations is really that annoying.

WAIT air...nah. BANNED!!
Yes, let's not give people with strong airgames a counterpick option (although not exactly a reliable one... as I said, with only 2 transformations appearing during an average game, it may not even appear).

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Pokemon Stadium 2 is a fair stage for counterpicks. It is neutral most of the time, allowing regular Brawling to take place. Then when it transforms, you change your strategy a little. Maybe. And when characters use the air to stall--you can use it too. Yea you may not reach as far up, but wait a few seconds and tey'll be within reach. Plus if they use their special some of them are vulnerable. If they aren't vulnerable, more power to them. Besides, the transformations don't last too long, and as I and the above poster already mentioned, for the combo-happy characters, take advantage at the start of the match and combo em' before it transforms, or just do it when it transforms, sure it may be harder to combo on the ice, but it is for your opponent as well, and the ice climbers... well they were given the ability of walking easily on ice. yea that's their advantage. But hey! Link has the advantage of blocking projectiles with his shield. that's just as "un-fair" as the ic's walking normally on ice.
Pokemon Stadium 2 should be counte-pickable

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Skyworld.
Also, no johns.

dont even bother using a single dsmash on that stage while near the edge.
Okay. Your point?

and it completely destroys set combos.
Okay. Your point?

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
if my las post didn't close discussion on port town,hopefully this quote will,it doesn't matter how predictable the cars are,it can still not only be abused,it 1 hit KO's.
does frigate orpheon not OHKO when it turns? what about halberd?
I've hit others/been hit much more often on these stages then on aero dive, b/c aero dive's cars are very vertical and low to the ground, while halberd's large and follow you.

Oracle

Smash Master
IMO ps2 should be banned. The electric stage distracts from gameplay by pushing you away from each other and the air stage promotes stalling for someone like sonic or peach, to the point where a DK could never get him. The ice stage is annoying, but the only thing that adversely affects gameplay is the tripping.

AlexX

Smash Ace
IMO ps2 should be banned. The electric stage distracts from gameplay by pushing you away from each other
There's 3 platforms and the transformation is temporary. Also, they could push you toward the enemy just as easily as away, so you can take advantage of the faster movement.

and the air stage promotes stalling for someone like sonic or peach, to the point where a DK could never get him.
Floaty characters aren't the only ones who are sent up really high, ones with high jump power like Sonic could end up accidentally killing themselves, and the stage form is only temporary.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
AlexX makes some good points. Pokemon Stadium 2 is definitely looking counter-pick.

Also, still no takers to defend the banning of aero dive.
Habaker, being ignored basically means no one can think up any good arguments against you. You're winning. :]

But, personally I'll take you up on it, because Aero Drive just doesn't seem legal to me...

As actual proof here's a video: Port Town Aero Drive is Silly. At around 45 secondsish, the cars appear quite abruptly - I see no warning or sign or anything. That would be a big problem.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
...there's a HUGE track in the background of that particular section. The section actually gave the players 10 seconds or so of warning.
Hmm, I guess I didn't notice. :p I will blame it on the crappy video quality, yes.

But, Arturito's video is clearly warning-less. Pretend I first offered up that one. No warning for a KO hazard? Sounds like a ban...

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Habaker, being ignored basically means no one can think up any good arguments against you. You're winning. :]
You expect us to care about each and every challenge to the list 170 pages in? We've dealt with most of them and people can just go through the thread.

So, we ignore people because they're introducing nothing new to the discussion rather than rehashing the entire stage debate again.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
how about this one then at 2:27 I didn't see the cars in the back track or any other kind of warning.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ojeRtj9GyUY
I actually watched that video awhile ago, and I noticed something about that particular section of Port Town that I later tested out to make sure it was true. The first three cars that drive by on that particular section are the warning. They don't have hitboxes. It's the shortest warning you get in any section of that stage.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
As actual proof here's a video: Port Town Aero Drive is Silly. At around 45 secondsish, the cars appear quite abruptly - I see no warning or sign or anything. That would be a big problem.
The second car death is the one with barely any warning, not the first one.

...there's a HUGE track in the background of that particular section. The section actually gave the players 10 seconds or so of warning.
Yeah.
I doubt he was paying attention, though, which is why he didn't just go on a platform.

how about this one then at 2:27 I didn't see the cars in the back track or any other kind of warning.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ojeRtj9GyUY
The side cars have no barely any warning whatsoever, and kill earlier than the background cars by around 10% or so.

I will blame it on the crappy video quality, yes.
>________>

Side note: Why can't F-Zero stages ever have ledges? -_-

Oracle

Smash Master
There's 3 platforms and the transformation is temporary. Also, they could push you toward the enemy just as easily as away, so you can take advantage of the faster movement.
But it distracts from the gameplay, because it limits the amount of space you can be on before the treadmills push you off of the stage. They can't push you into your opponent, because they always run towards the stage edges.
Floaty characters aren't the only ones who are sent up really high, ones with high jump power like Sonic could end up accidentally killing themselves, and the stage form is only temporary.
Sonic probably would know when to stop so he didn't kill himself, and the temporary-ness doesn't matter. It still distracts from gameplay.

AlexX

Smash Ace
But it distracts from the gameplay, because it limits the amount of space you can be on before the treadmills push you off of the stage. They can't push you into your opponent, because they always run towards the stage edges.
But what if your opponent is at the edge? There's plenty of reasons for them to be there, such as the opponent wanting to attack from the edge directly or you send them flying, but don't manage to kill them. It requires a change of strategy, which is what makes it CP-worthy.

Sonic probably would know when to stop so he didn't kill himself, and the temporary-ness doesn't matter. It still distracts from gameplay.
If being temporary is meaningless then we should ban pokemon stadium 1 in both Brawl and Melee because the rock and fire formations have walls, from which Fox (and Falco in Melee and Wolf in Brawl) can wallshine off of indefinitely.

Besides, in order for Sonic to be that high up he has to use his spring, and after that he can only do his low-priority A moves or try to airdodge if you were to go after him while he's in the air (latter of which is more punishable if you can predict it). He could try his d-air to reach the ground faster to jump again, but when that happens you can tell where he's going to land and go up from, so you can still get him at that time.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
but he CAN stall with it,in fact,anyone with a high vert recovery can stall,yoshi can also spam his upB for a near infinite stall until the wind transformation ends-ban
I thought stalling was banned, not stages. Just because Sonic can Homing Attack Stall underneath Smashville does not mean that it is banned. Jigglypuff can jump for an extremely long time underneath Smashville, but that doesn't mean you ban Smashville. You ban stalling.

I do hate the changed gravity. But I think it just greatly favors aerial-based characters. If it favors certain characters, it's counterpick.

And Yoshi's Egg Throw only boosts him up four times. So he might be able to stay up until the stage changes, but not infinite.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
it wastes a good chunk of a match...
I'll take you up on it, because Aero Drive just doesn't seem legal to me...

hm...i'd say to just memotize the 2 places where the cars come without warning, and just stay on high ground.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
hm...i'd say to just memotize the 2 places where the cars come without warning, and just stay on high ground.
Any semi-intelligent person will hit you into the cars. There's one platform, and it's too small to hold two characters at once, which means someone is going to get killed by either the cars or being forced to walk into Snake/DDD/Bowser's FSmash after they ftilt you off.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
>________>
Ah! Sorry sorry! I didn't notice it was your video. I thought it was just some random Youtuber's. ... Don't hate me.

I thought stalling was banned, not stages. Just because Sonic can Homing Attack Stall underneath Smashville does not mean that it is banned. Jigglypuff can jump for an extremely long time underneath Smashville, but that doesn't mean you ban Smashville. You ban stalling.
Stalling was never banned, but only certain stages that encourage it are. I mean, you could stall on any stage really, but those that lend themselves to the act are expressively banned.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Yea i thought stalling was banned too? at least in melee? Czu I remember people saying if you do this or that it was considered stalling and you'd lose a stock or something...??

Pieman0920

Smash Master
*looks at that Port Town video*

What the? The cars have a huge warning. The background shows the things coming from a mile away. Heck, before the Ike got killed, I was thinking to myself "Jump you idiot jump! They are going to show up right now!" but alas the player didn't see them in the background.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
*looks at that Port Town video*

What the? The cars have a huge warning. The background shows the things coming from a mile away. Heck, before the Ike got killed, I was thinking to myself "Jump you idiot jump! They are going to show up right now!" but alas the player didn't see them in the background.
so...are all of you ready to look out for the cars and finally make this a cp?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
*Hack* NO!!! Not CP, worse than Mute city, Walk offs are there, ledges aren't, cars are more like the icing to make this a complete ban.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
*Hack* NO!!! Not CP, worse than Mute city, Walk offs are there, ledges aren't, cars are more like the icing to make this a complete ban.
Walk-offs are banned for chaingrabbing like D3's right? Well if the cars are there, wouldn't that potentially stop chaingrabbing??
And the mian platform is grabable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom