• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
Any semi-intelligent person will hit you into the cars. There's one platform, and it's too small to hold two characters at once, which means someone is going to get killed by either the cars or being forced to walk into Snake/DDD/Bowser's FSmash after they ftilt you off.
As to this, i've played on the transformation you're talking about (the sideways one) with four people, all fighting well, with no hits.
Also, although i doubt it is consistant, my friend was goofing off and found it easy to avoid the cars by spaming spot dodge.

being hit into hazards is quite possible on halberd and frigate orpheon, deffinatly more on halberd than on aero dive.

But yeah, it seems that most of the points brought up have been shot down.
I say we move this to CP

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Walk-offs are banned for chaingrabbing like D3's right? Well if the cars are there, wouldn't that potentially stop chaingrabbing??
And the mian platform is grabable?
No, walk offs are not banned because someone can chain grab someone to death (Dedede is only the best example, I'm pretty sure Falco can do that to). In full reality, most characters can use a walk off to KO someone at lower percentages than normal. Here is an example, Squirtle, who is naturally weak, will take a normally long time to KO someone like, oh I don't know, Bowser. Squirtle gets some hits in (50-100% range, way below Squirtle's KO range [which is in the hundreds]). Bowser, Short range, needs to get close to Squirtle. Knowing this, Squirtle goes near the boundary and waits for Bowser to come. Bowser comes in, and with most attacks, he is in close enough for Squirtle to Roll behind him. Squirtle grabs and Dthrows Bowser. If you know Squirtle, you know that his Dthrow can KO normally at around 130%, but due to the close proximity to the boundary, around half of that is enough for a KO. My scenario is more complex than the typical one. The simplest one is camp, wait, grab, Bthrow, KO.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
No, walk offs are not banned because someone can chain grab someone to death (Dedede is only the best example, I'm pretty sure Falco can do that to). In full reality, most characters can use a walk off to KO someone at lower percentages than normal. Here is an example, Squirtle, who is naturally weak, will take a normally long time to KO someone like, oh I don't know, Bowser. Squirtle gets some hits in (50-100% range, way below Squirtle's KO range [which is in the hundreds]). Bowser, Short range, needs to get close to Squirtle. Knowing this, Squirtle goes near the boundary and waits for Bowser to come. Bowser comes in, and with most attacks, he is in close enough for Squirtle to Roll behind him. Squirtle grabs and Dthrows Bowser. If you know Squirtle, you know that his Dthrow can KO normally at around 130%, but due to the close proximity to the boundary, around half of that is enough for a KO. My scenario is more complex than the typical one. The simplest one is camp, wait, grab, Bthrow, KO.
But the cars on Aero Dive still inturrupt this. And the stops don't last long, so the other cahracter could possibly camp as well/ use attacks like fire blast (charizard), inhale (kirby/dedede), waddle dee throw (dedede), bowser's breath...(bowser)..., and etc. to keep the opponent from getting behind them and throwing. I was mainly going off your example to give mine. but still, the walk-offs in Aero Dive are partially avoidable.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
As to this, i've played on the transformation you're talking about (the sideways one) with four people, all fighting well, with no hits.
Also, although i doubt it is consistant, my friend was goofing off and found it easy to avoid the cars by spaming spot dodge.

being hit into hazards is quite possible on halberd and frigate orpheon, deffinatly more on halberd than on aero dive.

But yeah, it seems that most of the points brought up have been shot down.
I say we move this to CP
...?

No.

First off, get some stage knowledge, no hazards on Orpheon. As well, the hazards on Halberd all give you several seconds of warning before they go off, and you know exactly what they're going to do (Unless the claw mindgames you, lol).

As easy as a hazard is to avoid in certain cases, if making one mistake avoiding THE STAGE causes you to lose a stock, that's more than enough reason to ban the stage.

As I recall, only two hazards on legal stages kill at least occasionally: Upward spikes on Pictochat, and the Venus Fly trap on Pictochat.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The sideways section has barely any warning for the incoming cars - incoming cars with the potential to KO, might I remind you. Something that powerful and that surprising can't be given legal status.

You're going to need a better argument than "it's never happened to me."

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Has barely any warning.. it still has one... And you should be anticipating the cars anyways.. Although that might be used as an argument against the stage, if you are worryng more about it than the match (anticipating).....?

edit: but how is the stage not fair? I mean your opponent has just a much of a chance of getting K.O.'d as you do right? And if it's a characer with a lot of jumps like Meta Knight/Jiggs/etc., then when they are floating around in the air, you have the platform to yourself...

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
because the KO potential is too high,and you can easily knock you opponent into the cars,if the cars were as weak(or weaker)than the ones on oh say...mario circuit,it wouldn't be so bad

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Has barely any warning.. it still has one... And you should be anticipating the cars anyways.. Although that might be used as an argument against the stage, if you are worryng more about it than the match (anticipating).....?

edit: but how is the stage not fair? I mean your opponent has just a much of a chance of getting K.O.'d as you do right? And if it's a characer with a lot of jumps like Meta Knight/Jiggs/etc., then when they are floating around in the air, you have the platform to yourself...
Being fair to certain characters has nothing to do with what stages we do or do not ban. The only reasons we ban stages is to eliminate unfair tactics, or if the stage interferes with actual fighting. Port Town Aero Drive would fall under the "interfering" category.

The stage offers you ONE SECOND of zooming cars as a warning. While it is a warning, it is by no means an adequate warning. Thus it interferes with the prime fighting. And thus it is banned.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Can't the cars also be seen in the background prior to their passing as well?
I don't know muh about this stage I've played it like 3 times so that's why i may not be as knowledgable

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
The various sections of Port Town have varying lengths of warning. Some parts have nearly 10 seconds (the one with a HUUUUGE track in the background, and the one that looks like steps) while others give a mere 1 second (the section with 3 platforms and the road going up on the left) (and yes, that section does have warning in the form of the first three cars lacking hitboxes, although it's the shortest warning you get on the stage) .

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Isn't that good enough to make it a ban? Other things with high knock back Like in halberd probably have a good 10 second warnings. Even if you notice the cars coming at that moment if your in the middle of a move like a grab or auto canceling a aerial you won't have time to move.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A summary with the current (and pretty much done) list anyone? Popular at-the-moment discussion stages in orange.

Singles:
Battlefield Recommended: Random Starter
Final Destination Recommended: Random Starter
Lylat Cruise Recommended: Random Starter
Smashville Recommended: Random Starter
Yoshi's Island Brawl Recommended: Random Starter

Brinstar Recommended:Counterpick
Castle Siege Recommended: Counterpick
Delfino Plaza Recommended: Counterpick
Distant Planet Recommended: Counterpick
Frigate Orpheon Recommended: Counterpick
Green GreensRecommended: Counterpick
Halberd Recommended: Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion Recommended: Counterpick
Onett Recommended: Counterpick
PictoChat Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium Recommended: Counterpick
Rainbow Cruise Recommended: Counterpick
Hanenbow Recommended: Counterpick
Jungle Japes Recommended: Counterpick
Yoshi's Island Melee Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium 2 Recommended: Counterpick

Pirate Ship Recommended: Banned
Norfair Recommended: Banned
75 m Recommended: Banned
Big Blue Recommended: Banned
Bridge of Eldin Recommended: Banned
Corneria Recommended: Banned
Flat Zone 2 Recommended: Banned
Green Hill Zone Recommended: Banned
Rumble Falls Recommended: Banned
Mario Bros. Recommended: Banned
Mario Circuit Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 Recommended: Banned
New Pork City Recommended: Banned
Port Town Aero Dive Recommended: Banned
Shadow Moses Island Recommended: Banned
Skyworld Recommended: Banned
Spear Pillar Recommended: Banned
Summit Recommended: Banned
Temple Recommended: Banned
WarioWare, Inc. Recommended: Banned

Doubles:
Battlefield Recommended: Random Starter
Final Destination Recommended: Random Starter
Lylat Cruise Recommended: Random Starter
Smashville Recommended: Random Starter
Yoshi's Island Brawl Recommended: Random Starter
Delfino Plaza Recommended: Random Starter

Brinstar Recommended: Counterpick
Castle Siege Recommended: Counterpick
Corneria Recommended: Counterpick
Distant Planet Recommended: Counterpick
Frigate Orpheon Recommended: Counterpick
Green Greens Recommended: Counterpick
Halberd Recommended: Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion Recommended: Counterpick
Norfair Recommended: Counterpick
Onett Recommended: Counterpick
PictoChat Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium Recommended: Counterpick
Rainbow Cruise Recommended: Counterpick
Hanenbow Recommended: Counterpick
Yoshi's Island Melee Recommended:Counterpick

Pirate Ship Recommended: Banned
Pokemon Stadium 2 Recommended: Banned
Jungle Japes Recommended: Banned
75 m Recommended: Banned
Big Blue Recommended: Banned
Bridge of Eldin Recommended: Banned
Flat Zone 2 Recommended: Banned
Green Hill Zone Recommended: Banned
Rumble Falls Recommended: Banned
Mario Bros. Recommended: Banned
Mario Circuit Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 Recommended: Banned
New Pork City Recommended: Banned
Port Town Aero Dive Recommended: Banned
Shadow Moses Island Recommended: Banned
Skyworld Recommended: Banned
Spear Pillar Recommended: Banned
Summit Recommended: Banned
Temple Recommended: Banned
WarioWare, Inc. Recommended: Banned

Pokemon Stadium 2 as a new counter-pick due to an overall lack of unfair tactic abuse, or interference with fighting.

Arguments against:
- Possible stalling on the windy section.
- Changes in terrain work against fighting.

Answers against arguments:
- Stalling, an unfair tactic, can only happen on this specific transformation - which not only has a possibility of never appearing for the duration of the match, but is still temporary, e.g walls and chain-grabbing on Pokemon Stadium 1.
- The changes in terrain on ANY stage "detract from fighting", e.g Rainbow Cruise.

Port Town Aero Drive as a continued banned stage due to sections of track that provide KO hazards with below-adequate warning.

Arguments for:
- Hazards should be known beforehand.
- Hazards are not difficult to avoid, possibly more so than other stages.

Answers against arguments:
- Hazards with the potential to KO cannot be given the benefit of the doubt - especially hazards with as little warning as these do.
- Other stages give decent warning in comparison to how much damage they could potentially cause. One second for a KO hazard is not legal.

Sound good?

AlexX

Smash Ace
I don't think the problems with PS2 constitute a ban. As stated in the post, Rainbow Cruise has both walls and walk-offs, yet it's legal both here and in Melee, and Pokemon Stadium 1 has two transformations with walls, yet it is still legal and was even a starter stage in Melee.

I'd love to argue that Port Town is a CP, but when even Ike gets KO'd before hitting even 50% from the cars, I have problems trying to consider it legal... Shame they aren't as weak as the ones in Melee's Mute City.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Outside Norfair and Both Pokemon stadiums, I don't care about the rest of the list (PS1 & 2 are legal, Norfair is not). To think Port Town is legal is a showing of how much common sense people don't have.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I don't agree with Hanenbow or Jungle Japes, but otherwise that's a pretty functional list.

... Something tells me the SBR's list is going to be really different from these, though >_<

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
First off, get some stage knowledge, no hazards on Orpheon. As well, the hazards on Halberd all give you several seconds of warning before they go off, and you know exactly what they're going to do (Unless the claw mindgames you, lol).

As easy as a hazard is to avoid in certain cases, if making one mistake avoiding THE STAGE causes you to lose a stock, that's more than enough reason to ban the stage.

As I recall, only two hazards on legal stages kill at least occasionally: Upward spikes on Pictochat, and the Venus Fly trap on Pictochat.
No hazards on Orpheon?
avoidable as it is, i consider an instantly killing stage flip to be hazard, wouldn't you?

We hold tournaments to find the best smash bros player there, and stages are a part of the game. Sure, you ban stages that allow you to "cheat" (stalling, infinites, cave of life, walkoffs, etc) and stages that pick winners at random (warioware, etc.).

But Aero Dive is neither.
About the cars, the point people seem to be missing is this: On the few parts of the stage that have little or no warning, you can figure out if the cars are going to come or not judging by what has previously happened on the level.
The cars are not random in any way, they run the aero dive ciruit at a constant, predictable rate. If by some chance you lose track of their location, stay away from "car areas" until you see them again. It isnt hard at all.

As for Halberd, i'd call it much more unpredictable than aero dive. On port town, the cars do the same thing every time, in the same location. Halberd follows you, never in the same place twice. And should you get mindgamed by the claw, which happens on occasion, the stage does cause you to lose a stock because you slipped up.

I thought you said we should ban stages that do that?

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
habaker, the claw on Halberd doesn't kill until high percents, when you are clinging to life anyway. The cars kill at really low percents. Distant Planet has the monster, but you have to be an idiot to get into that thing. It's position makes it hard for you opponent to hit you into its mouth. On the other hand, it's really easy to use the (ridiculously strong) cars in Port Town.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
No hazards on Orpheon?
avoidable as it is, i consider an instantly killing stage flip to be hazard, wouldn't you?

We hold tournaments to find the best smash bros player there, and stages are a part of the game. Sure, you ban stages that allow you to "cheat" (stalling, infinites, cave of life, walkoffs, etc) and stages that pick winners at random (warioware, etc.).

But Aero Dive is neither.
About the cars, the point people seem to be missing is this: On the few parts of the stage that have little or no warning, you can figure out if the cars are going to come or not judging by what has previously happened on the level.
The cars are not random in any way, they run the aero dive ciruit at a constant, predictable rate. If by some chance you lose track of their location, stay away from "car areas" until you see them again. It isnt hard at all.

As for Halberd, i'd call it much more unpredictable than aero dive. On port town, the cars do the same thing every time, in the same location. Halberd follows you, never in the same place twice. And should you get mindgamed by the claw, which happens on occasion, the stage does cause you to lose a stock because you slipped up.

I thought you said we should ban stages that do that?
The claw didn't kill ZSS at 100% when I was halfway towards the stage ceiling.

Port Town kills people at low percents. Period. End of story. It's not like the cars come every three minutes or something, either; they come by quite often. Your argument of predictability can also be used against you, by the way: Since it's predictable, both players will spend time trying to get an auto-KO by hitting their opponents into the cars.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
... Something tells me the SBR's list is going to be really different from these, though >_<
I dunno, I think we've come pretty close - give or take one or two stages. As long as everything on the list was backed up with logic and reason I think we got it.

peeup

Smash Lord
The only thing wrong with Port Town Aero Drive isn't just the cars, but also the fact that you dont need to be able to actually reach the stage to live, all you have to do is get somewhat close to it, so that the road bounces you back up. With that and the cars, I think it deserves a definate ban.

Pokemon Stadium 2 can be annoying at times, but nothing really that makes it unfair in any way. The flying stage favors characters with better arials or characters that can stall in the air, but that transformation may not even happen, and when it does, its temporary. Ice stage is annoying, and so are the stupid conveyor belts on electric (would be so much better if they were going toward the center, then it would demote camping), but its still a nuetral stage in my mind. My interpretation of nuetral and counter-pick (forgive me if I'm wrong) was that a stage is counter-pick if it favored a certain character/group of characters, not if it was complicated. PS2 is complicated, but it only favors a group of characters for a brief amount of time, so I think it deserves to be nuetral. (Granted, Sonic on the ice stage isn't fun at all ;-D)

AlexX

Smash Ace
The only thing wrong with Port Town Aero Drive isn't just the cars, but also the fact that you dont need to be able to actually reach the stage to live, all you have to do is get somewhat close to it, so that the road bounces you back up. With that and the cars, I think it deserves a definate ban.
The thing is, Mute City was the same way and it was a CP. The main difference is that Port Town's cars kill considerably easier than before, making it hard to argue that they don't make a significant difference in a fight.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
How on earth did Pirate Ship get banned? In 1 vs 1 the hazards don't seem so bad at all.
$50 MM my toon link vs your anything on Pirate Ship.

PS: I've never played Toon Link before.

After I win the $50, you'll see why it's banned.

In all seriousness, it's not the hazards, it's the water. Toon Link and GamenWatch pretty much have auto-wins on this stage due to the properties of their attacks and the water.

AlexX

Smash Ace

In all seriousness, it's not the hazards, it's the water. Toon Link and GamenWatch pretty much have auto-wins on this stage due to the properties of their attacks and the water.
Do you happen to have a video about this?

People keep telling me my Ike can never catch a Fox that runs on Hanenbow, but I can intercept his running just fine in practice.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Do you happen to have a video about this?

People keep telling me my Ike can never catch a Fox that runs on Hanenbow, but I can intercept his running just fine in practice.
I don't have one of Toon Link, but when I'm on lunch break I'll dig up the one with Game n Watch.

CPs are supposed to give characters an advantage. There isn't much you can do vs a good GnW or T.Link on this stage, thus making those two characters far too viable.

For doubles the level is fine, but for singles? It's a stage that encourages camping and stalling even before you throw in the way those two abuse it.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
For doubles the level is fine, but for singles? It's a stage that encourages camping and stalling even before you throw in the way those two abuse it.
i think that works, but wuya bout' ptad on dbles...no? i think anyone is smart enough (to) in singles, PAY ATTENTION TO THE CARS! if you are dumn enough to stand in the middle of the road at a high precent and get killed by the cars, then you dont deserve to live (on the game XD)

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I don't have one of Toon Link, but when I'm on lunch break I'll dig up the one with Game n Watch.

CPs are supposed to give characters an advantage. There isn't much you can do vs a good GnW or T.Link on this stage, thus making those two characters far too viable.

This sounds suspicious. A stage can't be banned simply because this or that character is "too good" on it. But the stalling thing is legitimate - I'm eager to see this video...

i think that works, but wuya bout' ptad on dbles...no? i think anyone is smart enough (to) in singles, PAY ATTENTION TO THE CARS! if you are dumn enough to stand in the middle of the road at a high precent and get killed by the cars, then you dont deserve to live (on the game XD)
We're talking about Pirate Ship. =_=

fkacyan

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ik86pzFk-4

I'll try to get a video of Toon Link doing his version of it soonish.

EDIT: Two things:

1) Banning a stage because one character has a gross advantage is perfectly legit. D3 + Walls = D3 autowin.
2) That G&W really needs to work on his water camping. But even with that, the falco can't spike him through the water until about 100%, before which he lags into the water and starts getting daired.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Thiocyanide said:
I'll try to get a video of Toon Link doing his version of it soonish.

EDIT: Two things:

1) Banning a stage because one character has a gross advantage is perfectly legit. D3 + Walls = D3 autowin.
No it isn't.
And its far from an autowin.
Don't get grabbed put simply.
Otherwise the same argument could have been made for wobbling, the current IC infinite.

It isn't that the stage gives one character a gross advantage over the others.
Stages weren't just banned on the premise that one character had an infinite on the others on that one stage.
It was when many characters were doing the same thing to the others.
Where it would devolve to, who got pushed up against the wall first.

We already know DDD can infinite someone against a wall but that isn't the issue since if it was only him, you just play defensively and avoid being grabbed.
its the fac thtat Ike, MK, Falco and several other characters can do the same.
So it isn't as if you have 1 player playing keep away its when you have both players fighting to see who gets pressed against the wall.

Though I do agree DDD's infinite is rather gay.

In the video why didn't Falco just stay and watch G&W water camp? As long as he was a stock or percentage hiher than G&W he would have won the match right?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Hmm, that would definitely count as stalling. And if more than one character can take advantage of the water like that, than it seems like a ban.

Also, Thio, we don't ban stages for characters - we ban stages for abusive tactics. Dedede isn't the only character who can infinite chain-grab, is he?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Hmm, that would definitely count as stalling. And if more than one character can take advantage of the water like that, than it seems like a ban.

Also, Thio, we don't ban stages for characters - we ban stages for abusive tactics. Dedede isn't the only character who can infinite chain-grab, is he?
I'm pretty sure he is, actually, though some characters also have jab crap they can do on a wall.

However, D3 can pretty easily shieldgrab you on a lot of levels with walls, and if that happens more often than not you lose a stock.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman

I mean, they might have a slight advantage, but they're in no way auto-wins. I wouldn't even CP this stage because it would just help characters with a below-average recovery. Ness would be a better character to use as an example, he can't get gimped easily and his spike dominates here.

Regardless, there's no way the water gives enough of an advantage to ban it. You can make an argument for the stage hazards (which I think are trivial but whatever), but not the water.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure he is, actually, though some characters also have jab crap they can do on a wall.
Ike, Falco, and etc. can also infinite grab against a wall, and I think Fox and Wolf can wallshine as well. There's a number of abuses a wall has, although interestingly it's not enough to make Rainbow Cruise banned...

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Regardless, there's no way the water gives enough of an advantage to ban it. You can make an argument for the stage hazards (which I think are trivial but whatever), but not the water.
It's not that the water gives an advantage, it's that it allows for easy stalling. Stages that promote stalling are banned.

Ike, Falco, and etc. can also infinite grab against a wall, and I think Fox and Wolf can wallshine as well. There's a number of abuses a wall has,
Walls themselves are banned to eliminate abusive tactics - not because of Dedede. I can't think of any stages banned simply because of one character...

although interestingly it's not enough to make Rainbow Cruise banned...
Rainbow Cruise is moving so the walls aren't permanent and thus infinites are not possible. Like Delfino Plaza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom