• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
Port Town kills people at low percents. Period. End of story. It's not like the cars come every three minutes or something, either; they come by quite often. Your argument of predictability can also be used against you, by the way: Since it's predictable, both players will spend time trying to get an auto-KO by hitting their opponents into the cars.
Who are you to define low % KOs as a ban?
You can avoid the cars easily, and with the exception of one transformation, its rather hard to be killed by them.
You can't ban a stage because you're bad at it, the hazard is avoidable and consistant, so avoid it and stop whining.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
You can avoid the cars easily, and with the exception of one transformation, its rather hard to be killed by them.
You can't ban a stage because you're bad at it, the hazard is avoidable and consistant, so avoid it and stop whining.
they can easily be used for a cheap KO,their consistency makes it worse because it makes setting up an easy KO easier

anyone can be good at a stage,my IC's d-grab to f-air into car will beat you every time;)

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
they can easily be used for a cheap KO,their consistency makes it worse because it makes setting up an easy KO easier

anyone can be good at a stage,my IC's d-grab to f-air into car will beat you every time;)

well, go ahead and do it.
Its a CP, after all, offering advantages to certain players.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Not to mention the fact that you legalized Corneria, Banned PS1, and have also banned stages that are unanimously CP. You clearly are not good at this are you?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The same as you or anyone else.

You can avoid the cars easily,
Debatable, especially when it isn't clear where's safe.

with the exception of one transformation, its rather hard to be killed by them.
I disagree. Depending on the character, some can die on 80% of stops as low as 30% for some.

You can't ban a stage because you're bad at it
True.

the hazard is avoidable
Debatable

consistant
Definetly not.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
How can you stall that much on Pirate Ship? If you stay in the water too long, you'll drown, and if your in the water your vulnerable to attacks, and if you jump out of the water you can be edgeguarded

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
thats right i think... there are also thosse bombs, which can deal up to 55% damage... normally it is easy to avoid... but some players i know really have bad luck with those bombs...

but the rest is ok i think... the whater 'disappears' when the tornado or the big rock comes...
but... if it does not come it can be very imbalanced as the video has shown (but imagine falco was mario... fireball, fireball another fireball... xD)

ok... but know to another stage... as some of you may have noticed i am new in this forum... and if i am honest: i do not really like to read the last 170 pages of this thread... so... can you explayn, why the kirby's dream land stage green greens is not banned?
the blocks on this stage are really anoying... especially the bomb-blocks... i know: everyone is able to see the blocks... but if a player throws another player into such a bomb-block he gets masses of damage and may even lose one life...
sometimes you also get hit by a falling block... if it is a normal one you fall down like you were just needled... and a bomb-block... it kills!
so... i would be grateful if someone enlightens me

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Wait, wait. From what I've been told, stalling is when you're purposely doing a move to waste time in a match, but the caveat is the other person can't do anything about it (like JP under a stage or something like that).

At least, that's what I told a TO when he asked if a Meta Knight continually jumping on and off the ledge was doing. Other people agreed with me.

If that's true, then 'stalling with the water' isn't really stalling at all, the other person can do something about it. In fact, the other person barely has a disadvantage because the game makes you completely vulnerable for a set amount of time as you enter the water.

Also, Cyanide, I'm sorry, but what you said TL was doing wouldn't be effective at all. No one's gonna get hit with the arrow, and what's stopping people from approaching him as he waits to leave the water?

holysnap

Smash Cadet
Tbh I don't think a stage should be banned primarily because of Dedede's chain grab.

Pirate ship = CounterPick
Bridge of Eldin = CounterPick

A stage shouldn't be outright banned unless it is completely broken, WarioWare = Banned, Pork city = Banned, Mario bros = Banned

Roager

Smash Ace
Bridge should be banned. Walk off death lines were banned in melee due to fox/falco's pillaring, no? So, walk-off death lines should be banned in Brawl for chaingrab.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Bridge should be banned. Walk off death lines were banned in melee due to fox/falco's pillaring, no? So, walk-off death lines should be banned in Brawl for chaingrab.
The chaingrab doesn't last forever though does it?
If it doesn't, then if you are facing someonewho has a good chain grab, just avoid the edges of the map. Also, a huge whole is made in the center of the map, so that makes it possible for you too avoid the edges and still gain K.O.'s, thus avoiding the chaingrab, making it a fair fight between the two of you.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
WHAT IS IT WITH THIS MYTH THAT WALK OFFS ARE BANNED ONLY FOR ONE (or two) CHARACTER'S ABILITY TO DO AN INSTANT KO?!!! Sorry, but the Idea that only one character is enough to ban a stage is really aggravating, not to mention the fact that people seem to ignore me every time I say something important. I have posted multiple times on walk offs, and I'm getting sick of it that I'm not getting through your skulls. Walk offs are not banned because a character (named Dedede) can chaingrab somebody off, but because a character can literally just KO somebody much lower than on an aerial stage (named EVERYBODY IN THE GAME!). Please, don't make me yell again, I'm getting exhausted and I don't like running the list of getting penalty points.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
More than one, I keep on elaborating this all the time. Look all over the later part of this thread, and it is riddled with "walk offs are not ban worthy because of one character, but because of every character".

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Stages were banned because of one character in Melee. Banning them because of one character in Brawl isn't outlandish.

Anyway, Bridge of Eldin could be a problem since the Ice Climbers have an infinite grab on everyone. Could someone look into this?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Wait, wait. From what I've been told, stalling is when you're purposely doing a move to waste time in a match, but the caveat is the other person can't do anything about it (like JP under a stage or something like that).

At least, that's what I told a TO when he asked if a Meta Knight continually jumping on and off the ledge was doing. Other people agreed with me.

If that's true, then 'stalling with the water' isn't really stalling at all, the other person can do something about it. In fact, the other person barely has a disadvantage because the game makes you completely vulnerable for a set amount of time as you enter the water.

Also, Cyanide, I'm sorry, but what you said TL was doing wouldn't be effective at all. No one's gonna get hit with the arrow, and what's stopping people from approaching him as he waits to leave the water?
Really? You really think so?

A friend of mine, MasterDave (Also known by Konata and Izumi) got terribly ***** by m2k in match one of his set vs him in a tourney (CoT3 in Philly, iirc), and in match 2 almost beat him using that tactic.

You're forgetting a few things:
- You can move horizontally in the water.
- Lag time once you land in it is set
- T. Link is going to have less lag time.

Thus, if you approach and miss, or hell, even hit him, he'll pop out, and just dair, wait, dair when you pop up, and again until you die.

The idea of the arrow is to build percentage or force an approach. There's not much you can do to a T.Link in the water.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Melee-Yoshi's island-low ceiling-fox-guaranteed win-BANNED

a single character can and has gotten a stage banned,just this time 1 or more characters are getting multiple stages banned.
Can you elaborate on this Fox-on-Yoshi's-Island thing? I thought it was due to the walk-off on the side. I don't think a low ceiling would constitute a ban, even in Melee...

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Can you elaborate on this Fox-on-Yoshi's-Island thing? I thought it was due to the walk-off on the side. I don't think a low ceiling would constitute a ban, even in Melee...
from what i recall light and normal wight characters could get up air'd by fox and die almost every time at absurdly low percentages(at around 30-40%,heavy chars at 50-60%)

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Bridge of Eldin = CounterPick
Bridge should be banned.
Anyway, Bridge of Eldin could be a problem since the Ice Climbers have an infinite grab on everyone. Could someone look into this?
It's banned already. Permanent walk-offs are banned.
WHEN did we start talking about Bridge of Eldin?

from what i recall light and normal wight characters could get up air'd by fox and die almost every time at absurdly low percentages(at around 30-40%,heavy chars at 50-60%)
And it was explicitly banned because Fox was the only one to be able to take advantage of this low ceiling? I doubt that was the case.

Aren't there any other stages banned due to just one character?
I don't think so.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Thank you for saying the same thing I said when I STARTED POSTING IN THIS THREAD! (not to you Memo, to the people who can't apparently notice my anger towards the stupid myths)

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Really? You really think so?

A friend of mine, MasterDave (Also known by Konata and Izumi) got terribly ***** by m2k in match one of his set vs him in a tourney (CoT3 in Philly, iirc), and in match 2 almost beat him using that tactic.

You're forgetting a few things:
- You can move horizontally in the water.
- Lag time once you land in it is set
- T. Link is going to have less lag time.

Thus, if you approach and miss, or hell, even hit him, he'll pop out, and just dair, wait, dair when you pop up, and again until you die.

The idea of the arrow is to build percentage or force an approach. There's not much you can do to a T.Link in the water.
The point is, our definition of stalling doesn't apply to the stage, because the opponent can still have a viable approach. So we shouldn't ban it for stalling purposes, the scenario you're describing is just camping using the stage.

That said, I didn't know that TL had less lag time (I knew the other two though). So, I'll agree, it gives him an advantage. It's not an impossible to overcome advantage, though. He is still stuck for a very good amount of time in the water unable to do anything except move sideways. He's very easy to hit in the water regardless of how fast he can get out. If you miss, then he has the same chance of hitting you as you did of hitting him.

Have you really had trouble hitting someone in the water? It's really easy, at least with the majority of Brawl's cast.

That strategy you listed is predictable, too. You know he's going to jump out of the water and either land back in the water or land on the boat. If he lands back in the water (what you're describing), he has a huge amount of lag (comparable to a whiffed DDD fsmash at the very least) which makes using the water highly punishable.

I mean, there are clear-cut reasons for why stages are banned. That this stage helps one character camp (I still don't think it does that much) doesn't fall under any of those reasons. It's not stalling because TL can be (easily) approached. It's not an instant kill by any means like DDD's chaingrab on walkoffs.

At the very least, this is just a counterpick which helps some characters more than others. Brawl has tons of others; don't you think Frigate offers characters like MK and GW huge advantages over like a DK?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
And it was explicitly banned because Fox was the only one to be able to take advantage of this low ceiling? I doubt that was the case.

Aren't there any other stages banned due to just one character?
I don't think so.
yes, and yes. go look it up in the melee discussion or wait for another older player to confirm it for you>.> actually i think it was mentioned in the beginning of THIS discussion(prolly in like the first 5 pages or so...)

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So we shouldn't ban it for stalling purposes, the scenario you're describing is just camping using the stage.
This is starting to sound convincing.

Thank you for saying the same thing I said when I STARTED POSTING IN THIS THREAD! (not to you Memo, to the people who can't apparently notice my anger towards the stupid myths)
Of course Chazirad29. :p

AlexX

Smash Ace
Melee-Yoshi's island-low ceiling-fox-guaranteed win-BANNED

a single character can and has gotten a stage banned,just this time 1 or more characters are getting multiple stages banned.
Fox wasn't the only one who could do it. Anyone with a move that can KO vertically would do so at very low percentages there.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
Debatable

Definetly not.
the hazard is constant.
The cars travel around the actual racing level at a constant speed, and affect the battle when you cross paths.
Try playing a few matches on the level and see if you can get it.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
If you land on the road you die.

Isn't that a low percent death? after all when people play on big blue they will probably be trying to get a cheap kill by hitting them towards the ground which is what would happen with port town areo drive.

the hazard is constant.
The cars travel around the actual racing level at a constant speed, and affect the battle when you cross paths.
don't you get that your just hurting your argument but saying that they move at a constant speed? this would distract from the match and have people focusing on where the cars are in order to spike, throw or trip into to the cars having them die at like 40 or 50%. There are also 2 places with a huge lack of warning and if your in the middle of a move be it a grab or mortar slide you won't have time to react before the cars can hit you.

Not only that though but I think this combined with walk off blast zones should be enough for a ban. even if they aren't real walk offs they are walk off blast zones witch could be abused by any character with a strong back throw.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
If a stage slightly changes your game play to maybe suit a certain style/strategy, wouldn't it be pro for a counte-pick which give certain characters advantages? I mean giving a certain character an advantage is just like giving a certain play-style/strategy the upper-hand.

edit: And I think we need to tone-down on the 'certain areas of a level that can be abused by some characters calls for a banning'....

I mean when you think about it every stage gives some character the chance to abuse something. Liek Final Destination, this is prime for Fox's blaster.??

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
I mean when you think about it every stage gives some character the chance to abuse something. Liek Final Destination, this is prime for Fox's blaster.??
that is right i think. each character has its advantages and disadvantages on each stage... on final destination (everybody accept this one as a tourney map) for example characters with a better ground-moveset than air-moveset are often a bit better than the character with a better air-moveset
also the up-special of some characters can come with problems on final destination... mario for example... sometimes if just have bad luck he gets under the stage instead of grabbing the edge... he falls down and loses one life...

but that is not a reason to ban that stage...
so: if i understand everything that was said, i would say that a stage could not be banned if some characters have disadvantages on it, but a stage can be banned, if a character has advantages on it... right?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
the hazard is constant.
It's a constant speed, yes, but the stops are random.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
DOUBLES:

n e u t r a l s t a g e s:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

c o u n t e r p i c k s t a g e s:

Brinstar
Castle Siege
Corneria
Delfino Plaza
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Halberd
Hanenbow
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Onett
PictoChat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Summit

b a n n e d s t a g e s:

75m
Flat Zone 2
Mario Bros.
New Pork City
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
Temple
WarioWare, Inc.
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

I love Spear Pillar, but I agree that it has to be banned in competition. Shame, though. Fun stage. :p

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
that list is......terrible(unless its for doubles)
epic fail and were backtracking again....

Singles:
Battlefield Recommended: Random Starter
Final Destination Recommended: Random Starter
Lylat Cruise Recommended: Random Starter
Smashville Recommended: Random Starter
Yoshi's Island Brawl Recommended: Random Starter

Brinstar Recommended:Counterpick
Castle Siege Recommended: Counterpick
Delfino Plaza Recommended: Counterpick
Distant Planet Recommended: Counterpick
Frigate Orpheon Recommended: Counterpick
Green GreensRecommended: Counterpick
Halberd Recommended: Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion Recommended: Counterpick
Onett Recommended: Counterpick
PictoChat Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium Recommended: Counterpick
Rainbow Cruise Recommended: Counterpick
Hanenbow Recommended: Counterpick
Jungle Japes Recommended: Counterpick
Yoshi's Island Melee Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium 2 Recommended: Counterpick

Pirate Ship Recommended: Banned
Norfair Recommended: Banned
75 m Recommended: Banned
Big Blue Recommended: Banned
Bridge of Eldin Recommended: Banned
Corneria Recommended: Banned
Flat Zone 2 Recommended: Banned
Green Hill Zone Recommended: Banned
Rumble Falls Recommended: Banned
Mario Bros. Recommended: Banned
Mario Circuit Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 Recommended: Banned
New Pork City Recommended: Banned
Port Town Aero Dive Recommended: Banned
Shadow Moses Island Recommended: Banned
Skyworld Recommended: Banned
Spear Pillar Recommended: Banned
Summit Recommended: Banned
Temple Recommended: Banned
WarioWare, Inc. Recommended: Banned

Doubles:
Battlefield Recommended: Random Starter
Final Destination Recommended: Random Starter
Lylat Cruise Recommended: Random Starter
Smashville Recommended: Random Starter
Yoshi's Island Brawl Recommended: Random Starter
Delfino Plaza Recommended: Random Starter

Brinstar Recommended: Counterpick
Castle Siege Recommended: Counterpick
Corneria Recommended: Counterpick
Distant Planet Recommended: Counterpick
Frigate Orpheon Recommended: Counterpick
Green Greens Recommended: Counterpick
Halberd Recommended: Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion Recommended: Counterpick
Norfair Recommended: Counterpick
Onett Recommended: Counterpick
PictoChat Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium Recommended: Counterpick
Rainbow Cruise Recommended: Counterpick
Hanenbow Recommended: Counterpick
Yoshi's Island Melee Recommended:Counterpick
Jungle Japes Recommended: Counterpick
Green Hill Zone Recommended: Counterpick

Pirate Ship
Recommended: Banned
Pokemon Stadium 2 Recommended: Banned
75 m Recommended: Banned
Big Blue Recommended: Banned
Bridge of Eldin Recommended: Banned
Flat Zone 2 Recommended: Banned
Rumble Falls Recommended: Banned
Mario Bros. Recommended: Banned
Mario Circuit Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 Recommended: Banned
New Pork City Recommended: Banned
Port Town Aero Dive Recommended: Banned
Shadow Moses Island Recommended: Banned
Skyworld Recommended: Banned
Spear Pillar Recommended: Banned
Summit Recommended: Banned
Temple Recommended: Banned
WarioWare, Inc. Recommended: Banned

ok?this is still the genral consensus of what everyone agrees on(cept maby 1/2 ppl)

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Quote-a-thon!

yes, and yes. go look it up in the melee discussion or wait for another older player to confirm it for you>.> actually i think it was mentioned in the beginning of THIS discussion(prolly in like the first 5 pages or so...)
Fox wasn't the only one who could do it. Anyone with a move that can KO vertically would do so at very low percentages there.
Lol at the first 5 pages to this thread. They were discussing which stages should be legal due to Final Smash effects. Anyway, I found nothing about Yoshi's Island Melee on there, and my light scavenging in the Melee discussion bared no fruit. I think I'll take AlexX's word for it - I really doubt ONE character's upsmash would get an entire stage banned.

So, can I come to the conclusion that one character has never single-handedly banned a stage? I have yet to see another example.

Not only that though but I think this combined with walk off blast zones should be enough for a ban. even if they aren't real walk offs they are walk off blast zones witch could be abused by any character with a strong back throw.
No, the walk-offs should not be any reason to ban the stage. They're not permanent and thus can't be abused easily - exactly like Delfino Plaza (an agreed counter-pick).

so: if i understand everything that was said, i would say that a stage could not be banned if some characters have disadvantages on it, but a stage can be banned, if a character has advantages on it... right?
Thank you for reading posts and trying to gather some conclusions before posting - not like other newbies >_>.

But if you look at all the banned stages you can come to categorize them into having two causes for their ban. Either they:

Have traits which could encourage abusive tactics, like walls for infinite chain-grabbing.
or they interfere with the main fighting, like Wario Ware's micro-games.

Those are the two reasons we ban stages, not because of advantages or disadvantages they give certain characters.

(not to you Memo, to the people who can't apparently notice my anger towards the stupid myths)
... You are trying to poke fun at me aren't you?
Am not an office reminder! :mad:

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, OK, you aren't an Office reminder. Sorry (not sarcasm). OK, since Melee has had multiple stages that were banned for seemingly one character, but you (and I am glad for that) seem to get that this can't apply to Brawl. What I would like to point out is this:

A: I can come up with better reasons why a stage is banned than one character can KO with ease
B: This has caused many to ban stages for no reason. PS1 has been on the banned list for many extremists, yet under closer inspection, it is shown that it is tournament legal.

Memo, you are absolutely correct on what bans a stage. Now if only everyone else can LEARN THAT!

Xona

Smash Apprentice
OK, OK, you aren't an Office reminder. Sorry (not sarcasm). OK, since Melee has had multiple stages that were banned for seemingly one character, but you (and I am glad for that) seem to get that this can't apply to Brawl. What I would like to point out is this:

A: I can come up with better reasons why a stage is banned than one character can KO with ease
B: This has caused many to ban stages for no reason. PS1 has been on the banned list for many extremists, yet under closer inspection, it is shown that it is tournament legal.

Memo, you are absolutely correct on what bans a stage. Now if only everyone else can LEARN THAT!
You are right, one character isn't normally enough for a stage ban and it isn't usually the ban reasoning. Low damage kills were often the reasoning, and so is camping/running in circles. Extremists also believe that Rumble Falls and Big Blue should be banned and that having more than 20 stage bans is reasonable. Rumble Falls and Big Blue should be CP's, they are different, but not broken. Big Blue may have random car placement, but the track is still an option, footstool jumping onto the track could be a problem, but footstool jumps are already oftenly low % kills. 20 bans is WAY too many. I'm not totally against bans, I would still ban wario ware inc., Summit, bridge of eldin, Temple, New Pork City, and Mario Bros., and probably Yoshi's Island. But maybe not Spear Pillar because the hazards can prevent running in circles, that stage needs more testing first. Spear pillar needs more testing. I think a Global Ban should be given to both players, and that it should still apply to the Starter Stages (That way I can use mine on fd). Green Greens also needs more testing, as the exploding field glitch needs to be fully understood.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
oh my looks whos back.have you lurked enough to post intelligently yet?the track alone makes BB a ban,lets not go through this again,rumble falls isint really....fair,its banned

20 stage bans may not seem feasible in your eyes,but in the end its whats fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom