• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Bowser Jr.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Not sure if I should get involved with this since I definitely need to spend more time testing with people, but my friend used a fun strategy I hadn't seen before

Using Giant Mechakoopa, he deploys it, grabs it, moves towards the opponent, and while he is shielding the explosion actually reaches outside BJ. So basically he would bait a grab and by the time his opponent got close the koopa blows up, not hurting BJ. I thought that was fun.
This will actually work with the regular mk if you angle your shield forward. It's pretty fun for a mixup.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I'm honestly not here to prove anything to people who don't even play the character. I just want it to be noted that 3111 is a set that competitive players want to see in the final set.

(and that piercing cannon is horrendous and everyone should feel bad for using it)
in match-ups where you almost never will use it it's the most viable one. it's kinda like debating which up-b jigglypuff will bring.

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
Preliminary Custom Sets:
Bowser Jr:

3, 1, 1/2, 1/3, niche 1XXX, X2XX, X3XX, XXX2

3111, 3113, 3121, 3123
niche: 1112, 3213, 3313, 3223, 3323, 1211
3213 and 1211 are basically about all I was looking for to be included beyond those core x1xx sets. Seems doable to me :)

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
by that meant "when you cannot use neutral b", as in, a match-up like Rosalin, fox, Mario or Ness.

if you want to you can use neutral b vs other characters.
Lol why ness? He can't absorb the cannonball.

Edit: oh right, the bat. I'd argue all of these mu's prove that wind cannon is better than piercing, too.

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Let's be real, every matchup is a matchup where you shouldn't be using neutral b.

Maybe my friend just sucks, but regular neutral b seems to work miracles on characters like ike offstage. It basically forces him to recover low because it completely stops him from using side B. And ikes up B is super punishable whether youre going for a gimp or just a simple upB at the ledge.

Once again maybe my friends just dont know how to recover, and i dont know if this works on other chars as well as ike

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Maybe my friend just sucks, but regular neutral b seems to work miracles on characters like ike offstage. It basically forces him to recover low because it completely stops him from using side B. And ikes up B is super punishable whether youre going for a gimp or just a simple upB at the ledge.

Once again maybe my friends just dont know how to recover, and i dont know if this works on other chars as well as ike
Yeah there's a use for it in edgeguarding situations, but if you have wind cannon on you can pretty much force the airdodge regardless/ it's substantially easier to land.

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Yeah there's a use for it in edgeguarding situations, but if you have wind cannon on you can pretty much force the airdodge regardless/ it's substantially easier to land.
Not disagreeing, I'd probably go 3111 in most cases but I thought I'd just mention it because a lot of people seem to completely disregard neutral B as a move in general. One of the things that made me fall in love with this char is that he relies on using all of his moves at the right time (instead of, say, dthrow - uair - uair - uair x infinity)

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I still like his standard neutral special a lot. It's just unfortunate the frame data for that move is so bad which severely hurts its usefulness.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I'm too liberal with neutral B, but I don't get punished much for it, cause I use it for attacking recoveries and full hop shots across stage (the falling point nears the opp's starting point). Also it adds a layer of pressure if a mk is out (and the mk givwe some safety).

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Koopa Drift is so much fun to use lol.
I know it sounds gimmicky, but I do think we should try to explore it more and approach it differently.
Instead of being used for comboing, we should be using it to mess up our opponent's neutral.
It's great for messing with an opponent's positioning. If you hit them they get carried with you until you stop, and that usually ends up putting them offstage, ripe for an edgeguard. Because of Koopa Drift, Jr, can go SUPER far for an edgeguard and almost guarantee his recovery while the opponent may not. You can still jump cancel it for a bit of height too.
If you adjust the timing of your spinout from a midair kart dash, you can also propel yourself upwards a little bit above the ground while spinning out. This is how his horizontal recovery becomes so good, and it should catch opponents who try to short hop aerial, or at least provide a little more protection than if you did this on the ground.
I know this is sorta theorycraft, but I think it's worth testing.
I'm going to try some more serious matches on Anther's ladder to see if Koopa Drift really is just a gimmick or not.

Rynhardt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rynhardt
3DS FC
3437-3326-8257
Koopa Drift is so much fun to use lol.
I know it sounds gimmicky, but I do think we should try to explore it more and approach it differently.
Instead of being used for comboing, we should be using it to mess up our opponent's neutral.
It's great for messing with an opponent's positioning. If you hit them they get carried with you until you stop, and that usually ends up putting them offstage, ripe for an edgeguard. Because of Koopa Drift, Jr, can go SUPER far for an edgeguard and almost guarantee his recovery while the opponent may not. You can still jump cancel it for a bit of height too.
If you adjust the timing of your spinout from a midair kart dash, you can also propel yourself upwards a little bit above the ground while spinning out. This is how his horizontal recovery becomes so good, and it should catch opponents who try to short hop aerial, or at least provide a little more protection than if you did this on the ground.
I know this is sorta theorycraft, but I think it's worth testing.
I'm going to try some more serious matches on Anther's ladder to see if Koopa Drift really is just a gimmick or not.
I custom in side b2 when I'm against characters I have a hard time getting in on like b neutral spamming Luigis. Still trying to make it work but not 100% hopeful.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yo how come big mech isn't getting any love. It does 16% and kills under 150%. It has higher reward that standard mech when you pick it up (and it's easier to pick up too). Only thing it loses is stage control when grounded, although it does tank more projectiles than standard mech.

I saw some japanese Jr. win at least two sets with it. I don't get why putting a mech on the ground is considered better than having it in your hand anyway, it just makes the mech more predictable. The only legit problem I see with big mech is the short fuse limiting you to only one mixup per mech.

Last edited:

Kantrip

Kantplay
There's potential but it honestly needs some testing. Some players run a trap based playstyle that probably relies on MKs roaming around and catching opponents when they're not expecting it and setting up for strings, while others don't need that utility from the MKs and can sacrifice them in favour of the bigger ones. It's pretty safe to say that the big MKs are not an upgrade to the standard move, but whether or not it's a variation worth using is up to personal preference.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There's potential but it honestly needs some testing. Some players run a trap based playstyle that probably relies on MKs roaming around and catching opponents when they're not expecting it and setting up for strings, while others don't need that utility from the MKs and can sacrifice them in favour of the bigger ones. It's pretty safe to say that the big MKs are not an upgrade to the standard move, but whether or not it's a variation worth using is up to personal preference.
MKs don't run around on good opponents unless you drop one when they're in the air. Against a grounded opponent, if you take any option that doesn't punish them for catching it with an aerial you just gave them a mech for free. So basically, if you drop a running mech against a grounded opponent, you're pretty much committed to engaging them when the mech gets to them otherwise they'll just catch it.

Kantrip

Kantplay
MKs don't run around on good opponents unless you drop one when they're in the air. Against a grounded opponent, if you take any option that doesn't punish them for catching it with an aerial you just gave them a mech for free. So basically, if you drop a running mech against a grounded opponent, you're pretty much committed to engaging them when the mech gets to them otherwise they'll just catch it.
Yeah, that's obvious. Under no circumstances should you ever just send a MK walking at the opponent and hang back yourself. The whole point is to create pressure where they have to react to both the MK on the ground and you running at them with a grab or a fair or whatever else you throw at them. You have to set up a situation that punishes the opponent for trying to pick up the MK because you simply won't let them. No offense intended, but any Bowser Jr player who gives the opponent free MKs is not very good.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah, that's obvious. Under no circumstances should you ever just send a MK walking at the opponent and hang back yourself. The whole point is to create pressure where they have to react to both the MK on the ground and you running at them with a grab or a fair or whatever else you throw at them. You have to set up a situation that punishes the opponent for trying to pick up the MK because you simply won't let them. No offense intended, but any Bowser Jr player who gives the opponent free MKs is not very good.
Yeah mech pressure is cool, but some of the better characters can catch the mech and shut down all of your options at the same time unfortunately. For example Diddy can catch it with SH fair and there's very little you can do. You can't grab him, you can't contest it with your own aerials, and you can't really punish it because it ACs.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
This is probably common knowledge, but I find it interesting that Bowser Jr. can slow his descent from Koopa Meteor (UpB 3) by immediately swinging the hammer. But once you stop attacking, he returns to the move's quick descending speed. He'll also turn back into a hitbox at this point.

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
This is probably common knowledge, but I find it interesting that Bowser Jr. can slow his descent from Koopa Meteor (UpB 3) by immediately swinging the hammer. But once you stop attacking, he returns to the move's quick descending speed. He'll also turn back into a hitbox at this point.
Don't think anything about Up3 is common knowledge, most people stopped considering it useful very quickly. Still, every bit of knowledge is helpful :)

Top Bottom