• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Dr. Mario

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Dr. Mario:

2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2 niche 1XXX

2211, 2212, 2231, 2232, 2311, 2312, 2331, 2332
niche: 1311, 1312

The biggest thing I'm unsure about is if you guys want more and/or different default pill sets. Of course, any other concerns or adjustments are welcome as well.
Doc mario gets a lot better with customs, and the one that benefits him the most is Breezy Sheet for sure because it is seemingly a straight upgrade to default cape. Shocking cape is more offensive oriented than the others and can be used in place of a fair or fsmash to punish enemies. The drawback is the inability to reflect so using it will depend on your opponent's projectiles/recovery.

The default pills are great for their unique angle and bounce, while fast pills are quick and provide a different option to wall off opponents. The megacapsule does some hefty damage, but it is too slow and gives doc plenty of ending lag.

Default super jump punch is an already great OoS option and a pretty reliable kill move too. The Ol' One Two is less reliable (I think?) as an OoS option and less recovery distance, but with the benefit of killing a lot earlier than default. The D-throw -> Ol' One Two is extremely satisfying. This custom has to be coupled with Soaring Tornado in order to be used effectively. Super jump I've not experimented too much yet, the added recovery is nice, but losing out on that OoS option is rough.

Default Dr. Tornado also holds its own because it can cover rolls, dodges, and you can use it to approach from above. Soaring tornado effectively boosts recovery, and the hitbox at the end can kill surprisingly so it can be used to edgegaurd with sometimes. Clothesline tornado I've not experimented yet either, but it seems to be less effective for recovery while also dishing out more damage.

I've listed the ones I personally use at the top and then latter half are options for the other slots. Megacapsule, Clothesline tornado, and Super jump are not included as I've not seen too much benefits for them as compared to the other customs (3x23).

1311 Breezy sheet is much better than default.
2332 All customs, and is fun to mess opponents with who are not familiar with them. Ol one two is fun!
---

Last edited:

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
I'd like to make a case for 2211
We don't always need breezy sheet and I feel shocking cape works well against match ups such as Diddy Kong, Captain Falcon, Shulk
Basically any character without a projectile

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Guys, I cannot figure out how to use his Custom Down B 2. It has amazing kill power but how do I set up with it? Or in what situations do I use it offensively?

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Guys, I cannot figure out how to use his Custom Down B 2. It has amazing kill power but how do I set up with it? Or in what situations do I use it offensively?
I need help with this too :/
I wish 2311 was a set...

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
2311 was in the initial custom moveset release...I don't know why it wasn't included for evo :c
Standard Dr. Tornado is good on its own, I guess we will have to wait until after EVO for the change

TheDMMD

Smash Rookie
I'm super late on this, but I'm new to tthe game. I'm begging you to make 3211 a set.

Reasoning is, Mega Capsule can true combo into UP-B and its variants, throws, or whatever you want. For example, MC into 'Ol One Two is a 40% true combo, and MC > up tilt > default UP-B can combo as well. Another application is that this custom controls space, and can cover approaches. The slow, lingering hitboxes can chew up shields, and its non scaling knockback means it can be used at later percents to lock your opponent into an up-B kill guaranteed. I am aware of the start and endlag, but for combo-happy docs like myself, I like the applications mega capsule presents.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I don't know if customs will still be used tbh. I was thinking of 2311 as a set. Soaring Tornado is limited in some ways, though it's still a good option.

Last edited:

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I am getting heavily into customs since unlocking them all, and Doctor Mario is quickly becoming my go-to character in the customs meta. I came here to see what Doc mains think of his custom moveset, specifically 2312 and 2332.

Top Bottom