• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project Initial Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Wait WHAT!? 2-1-2-2 (or was it 2-2-1-2? Whatever makes his down-special as 1) is not set for mii brawler!?! Dapuffster has been the closest person to date to beating ZeRo in tournament using this set (actually used 2-2-2-2 due to restrictions, but admittedly not his ideal), even closer than anyone at Apex (Mr. R and M2K took 1 game off of him, Dapuffster took 2).

This must be edited lol. They're good fights too, you should watch them.
2122 is my primary loadout which consists of
Ultimate Uppercut
Onslaught
Helicopter Kick
Feint Jump

Compared to what everyone else currently has which is 1122. Which subs Ultimate Uppercut for Shotput.

IMO 2122 and 2132 still needs to be added to the OP.

Got a link to those? I'd love to see 'em. I think the main draw of Down2 is the extra recovery it gives you, since everything else is short-ranged and puts you into freefall.
Here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdcgwDARUoQ

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
UMD event started late, stream issues, and like 3 sm4sh set-ups so we didn't do customs. They think they'll have more time and ability (along with more interest after actually playing with them a bit) next week though.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
2122 is my primary loadout which consists of
Ultimate Uppercut
Onslaught
Helicopter Kick
Feint Jump

Compared to what everyone else currently has which is 1122. Which subs Ultimate Uppercut for Shotput.

IMO 2122 and 2132 still needs to be added to the OP.

Here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdcgwDARUoQ
Thanks for the link!

And I definitely agree with adding 2122. Ultimate Uppercut and Shotput are both excellent.

Last edited:

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
Why Ganondorf doesn't have 2-2-2-2? Thats arguably his optimal set. Also I would Add Marth's 1-1-2-3 as one of his primary sets since Cresent Slash is the move that makes him competitively viable, and Iai Counter is better than regular counter in most cases.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Guys, i dunno if this is the right topic to ask for help in regards to this, but a TO in my regio says that, while it's highly unlikely that they will allow customs, he still wants to ban a specific few:

-Shiek's side b custom that combos into p-smash an no DI allows you to escape it (because she is already top tier and doesn't need that kind of buff)
-DK's up b 3 (he said no explanation was needed)
-Mii brawler's Neutral b 3 (because of the gltich)
-Link's neutral b that kills at 90 and with an endlag that isn't proportional to the reward.

can you guys help me make a case for these 4 moves to stay?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
Guys, i dunno if this is the right topic to ask for help in regards to this, but a TO in my regio says that, while it's highly unlikely that they will allow customs, he still wants to ban a specific few:

-Shiek's side b custom that combos into p-smash an no DI allows you to escape it (because she is already top tier and doesn't need that kind of buff)
-Link's neutral b that kills at 90 and with an endlag that isn't proportional to the reward.

dont go to this guy's tournaments then

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I can make arguments for Piston Punch and Power Bow.

Piston Punch's glitch requires precise execution and because it's a set knockback attack, added percent on the target doesn't help it work, only stage position will. Additionally, it's only a OHKO against very light targets. While the move itself has decent KO potential outside of the glitch, Helicopter Kick is more flexible and better overall.

Power Bow is strong, but if you use anything except full charge the move basically doesn't do anything. It's good for trapping landings, but even that isn't as effective on stages with platforms, and choosing Power Bow means you are depriving Link of one of his projectile options.

I don't have enough experience with Gravity Grenade or Kong Cyclone to argue for them but I don't think either is broken. My arguments for them would be "lol you got hit by that move" and "ban Battlefield and hit him from above," respectively.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Kong Cyclone is weird, but not overpowered. It DOES require a lot of caution to play against, because the windboxes are pretty silly. But all windboxes are silly, and there's no reason to shut DK's only good custom out because it seems broken. Shield, wait, and punish. Easier to deal with than existing top-tier characters. I'd be more interested in hearing his explanation, since apparently he thinks it so broken it needs none. A friend of mine here mains DK and uses it pretty much exclusively (when customs are on), and while it leads to hilarity sometimes against the untrained, it's a far cry from the oddness that comes out of Cape (gust cape causes some of the same issues) or the old Wectoring, neither of which were banned.

All of Sheik's grenades are situational, Gravity Grenade no more than the rest. You still have to get hit by it, and that's only likely offstage, whereby it's bringing you back to the stage.

As for Piston Punch, that's a tougher one to call. I know some people around would say "we don't ban things because of glitches", and leave it in. Others would take it out. That's preference, but honestly I prefer the Helicopter Kick more anyway.

For Link, again, it's a pretty easy projectile to dodge, and while we're talking about reward not proportional to cost, all existing top picks (which Link is not one of) have still-better options than that. It'll be good against players recovering in a poor position, but that's basically it. And, as Kofu said, its uncharged forms are basically worthless.

So I guess the bulk of my view is "Why ban this when you don't ban Bananas, or Needles, or Bouncing Fish"? Those being default, in a customs-legal setting, should be no protection, if any are to be banned (which I don't agree with anyway).

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Link's power bow definitely isnt the only projectile to charge up and kill at 80-90 and its certainly not the best. You can just shield one and then approach with a jump.

Samus up B has a similar glitch to Mii Brawlers. These positional, situational early kill setups are part of what makes smash special. Hastily approach toon link by the ledge? Get down smashed at 0% and die.

Windboxes all cause confusing and often jarring effects but nothing about DKs up B seems too good.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie

Tell him that all customs are innocent until proven guilty, and that "too good" is not ban criteria.

EDIT: Team Sp00ky's next tournament is CONFIRMED to have customs!

Last edited:

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Tell him that all customs are innocent until proven guilty, and that "too good" is not ban criteria.

I can't find what time it is, bit I gotta see this, whether I'll be disappointed in people not bothering with them or laughing my head off by watching others just getting wrecked by Kong Cyclone and Timber Counter.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I can't find what time it is, bit I gotta see this, whether I'll be disappointed in people not bothering with them or laughing my head off by watching others just getting wrecked by Kong Cyclone and Timber Counter.
The Wobbutree is probably the absolutely most rage-inducing custom on the planet to people who aren't used to it.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I don't think discussing the moves themselves are really going to help if the guy is so scrubby that he wants to ban moves from characters that aren't even top 8ing consistently.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Why Ganondorf doesn't have 2-2-2-2? Thats arguably his optimal set.
Every character except the Miis has 9 sets:
1111 is default
2222 and 3333 are included for experimenting and gaining familiarity.
And the last 6 are the ones Amazing Ampharos posts based on community opinion.

So Ganondorf DOES have 2222 available, it's just not listed under his name because it would be redundant.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Every character except the Miis has 9 sets:
1111 is default
2222 and 3333 are included for experimenting and gaining familiarity.
And the last 6 are the ones Amazing Ampharos posts based on community opinion.

So Ganondorf DOES have 2222 available, it's just not listed under his name because it would be redundant.
And, unlike Ike for whom 2222 is considered one of the best, Ganondorfs tend to prefer 2122 or 2322 instead.

Oracle

Smash Master
Hey guys, over at Tourney Locator we're going to be using custom moves at shockwave this friday! This will begin the test to see if they're fit for competitive play! If you want to support custom moves, then please follow at www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator and tune in friday at 8 to catch great matches between top level players using custom moves! The more viewers and entrants we get, the bigger chance we'll have to keep customs legal!

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Hey @ Oracle Oracle , I'm really happy to hear you guys and other places are starting to adopt custom moves. My only fear is that some of the really strong ones will get banned without people truly giving them a chance. So, please don't jump the gun and don't give into stream monsters!

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hey guys, over at Tourney Locator we're going to be using custom moves at shockwave this friday! This will begin the test to see if they're fit for competitive play! If you want to support custom moves, then please follow at www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator and tune in friday at 8 to catch great matches between top level players using custom moves! The more viewers and entrants we get, the bigger chance we'll have to keep customs legal!
Is that 8pm Central or is that adjusted?

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
On a lighter note, Apostle told me tonight that Xanadu's next Wii U Monthly will -definitely- have a customs side tournament to test things out and introduce it subtly to hopefully have it alongside their weekly tournaments in the future.

He's actually fond of the idea of equipment too, though I'm not so much in agreement with him on that...

Gonna be practicing for that customs tournament with boss and at the potential custom tournament at the UMD on Friday.
Next Week, Team Spooky's stream will have a customs tournament, so look out for that.
I have odd sensation coming over me, and I believe that sensation is HYPE.

I am so happy this is happening, I honestly don't how to express myself.

Looking forward to this! :colorful:

Last edited:

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Let's hope everyone else likes them, too. A part of me is worried someone will cheese through a tournament with Kong Cyclone or Timber counter or something else that seems really overwhelming and people will reject customs as a whole because of it.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It's really all about whether you have a guilty until proven innocent or innocent until proven guilty mentality. That matters ten times more than how strong or weak anything really is.

The only way any custom could break through innocent until proven guilty is if there's rampant misinformation and ignorance. Heard from someone last week that Miis should be banned because "Piston punch kills at 80%". Miis are just three characters, but I'd hate to lose the dozens that need customs for viability to that kind of ignorance.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Let's hope everyone else likes them, too. A part of me is worried someone will cheese through a tournament with Kong Cyclone or Timber counter or something else that seems really overwhelming and people will reject customs as a whole because of it.
This is a concern of mine as well. Honestly, if I were to participate in such a tournament I think I'd deliberately pick customs designed to style and show off some interesting options, not necessarily to win outright. But that's due to ulterior motives.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
This is a concern of mine as well. Honestly, if I were to participate in such a tournament I think I'd deliberately pick customs designed to style and show off some interesting options, not necessarily to win outright. But that's due to ulterior motives.
As would I. When I introduce people to customs, I usually use Samus, Marth, or Bowser Jr. to show how characters are improved but not overpowered with customs. Personally I'm hoping to see a lot of Big Mechakoopas on any of those streams =P.

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
By the by, the next tournament Spooky covers in NYC(I don't think it's next week if memory serves) is also going to be customs legal.
I went through the trouble of decking out all the systems on the premises like a champ today so we're going to be good to go right out of the starting gate. I'm doing the best I can over on my end!

Also, from what I can tell, it takes about 10-20(somewhere around 13 I'd say) minutes to completely transfer the moveset project from a 3DS to a WiiU.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
By the by, the next tournament Spooky covers in NYC(I don't think it's next week if memory serves) is also going to be customs legal.

I went through the trouble of decking out all the systems on the premises like a champ today so we're going to be good to go right out of the starting gate. I'm doing the best I can over on my end!

Also, from what I can tell, it takes about 10-20(somewhere around 13 I'd say) minutes to completely transfer the moveset project from a 3DS to a WiiU.
13 is a very good estimate. I stopwatch timed myself to 12-13 minutes. 12 if you're mashing hard through everything, 13 more realistically as you usually don't have the greatest focus while uploading custom moves to a Wii U. There's also some variation if the target Wii U already has throw-away movesets built on it since you'll have to manually overwrite those instead of X, Start, X, Start per character.

I'm thinking it may be of value to compile lists of tournaments that are running customs for people to check out, as in stream links and archives of match footage. Does anyone happen to have a good start on that already put together to use as a base?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

This is a great start...

Finally, we can show our work to a large audience.

Raijinken

Smash Master

I enjoyed your customs exhibition after the tourney last night. It sounded like the commentators were pretty excited to see new things, too.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
All I want is TKbreezy and EE on the mic while boss and his iceballs play against chu and jumping inhale cheese.

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
And, unlike Ike for whom 2222 is considered one of the best, Ganondorfs tend to prefer 2122 or 2322 instead.
I asked exactly because Ike has listed 2222, and I don't really think there's a reason why you would prefer SideB 1 (Unless you prefer to do Ganon Choke chasing) or 3 over 2 since 2 becomes one of his most reliable kill moves.

Btw, to the guy asking about some customs. The Sheik Grenade that drags the opponent to you is still difficult to land and you would need a perfectly spaced hit to get the guaranteed UpSmash otherwise you will miss the attack.

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
Yo this is great, I love shockwave! But ask Denti and AeroLink to not go full tryhard this week so they can test some customs properly lol

Raijinken

Smash Master
I asked exactly because Ike has listed 2222, and I don't really think there's a reason why you would prefer SideB 1 (Unless you prefer to do Ganon Choke chasing) or 3 over 2 since 2 becomes one of his most reliable kill moves.

Btw, to the guy asking about some customs. The Sheik Grenade that drags the opponent to you is still difficult to land and you would need a perfectly spaced hit to get the guaranteed UpSmash otherwise you will miss the attack.
I haven't given Side 2 much attention lately, but 3 is nice since it can help you recover without them Forcing a ganoncide. I'll definitely look into 2 though.

Since they changed it so teching out of Side1 works differently, it's a bit stronger of an initiating move than it used to be, so I can still see some uses there.

But again, this is the beauty of customs. There's so much more to experiment with. I'll give Side2 some shots tonight when my friends are over, and I'll try to remember to post some thoughts on it here.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The best thing about customs I find is the added depth.

It's almost like we've gotten another 3 X 51 Characters.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The best thing about customs I find is the added depth.

It's almost like we've gotten another 3 X 51 Characters.
Ehh, feels more like it's just the full cast being usable and legitimately scary to play against since they have more valid options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom