• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

Flayl

Smash Hero
Marth is 5th...?

I'm also a little surprised Mario is still above Samus

Good effort to the BBR folk, thanks for keeping it interesting - I know this could be read as a sarcastic comment so I want to make clear it isn't, just in case

Neon!

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how I feel about DK over Sonic, Sonic's matchup spread is significantly better than DK's but I suppose DK's do have slightly better results.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sonic arguably loses to every character above mid tier. DK at least solidly beats Marth and is arguably even with Snake.

Both are garbage against top 4. Although, I guess by that logic, sonic should be at the bottom of his tier, as sheik, ike, ness and yoshi have some winnable matchups against good characters too.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
i think my biggest issue is that "mid tier" is divided up into 3 tiers and that high tier only has 3 characters lol. so when you have a "mid tier" tournament, you are telling all the lucas/luigi/rob/wolf...ect players that they get to play with all the DDD/GW/LUCARIO players. Its like having a low tier tournament (mario/link/bowser...ect) and allowing falco to play. It completely negates the reason for mid tier events and thus you will see a mass amounts of DDD/GW/LUCARIO. oh and think about mid tier teams tournaments for a sec........GW+LUCARIO.........anubis and buckets in MID TIER. F THAT

The order of the chars i can deal with. its just the extra tiers that were made makes things really bad for TO and the over all list as well.
Don't worry, knowing most of the BBR higher ups they might notice they made a huge mistake once they looked at how ridiculous the tierlist looks and eventually say "We ****ed up guys, 4 months time we're making version 9 and it's gonna look more cleaner and presentable"

^Im actually kinda mad Sonic is above Ness/Yoshi/Ike. Sonic hasnt done anything notable in years while the other 3 have.
Edit: What notable thing has Yoshi done? Besides showing that he's not a dead character yet. Cause seriously, even when I was active Yoshi wasn't winning ANYTHING. I'm not deluded.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
wow, every time i come back online i have like 972985 new notifications from this thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yoshi and Sheik have the viability to be above Sonic, but not the results.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i think my biggest issue is that "mid tier" is divided up into 3 tiers and that high tier only has 3 characters lol. so when you have a "mid tier" tournament, you are telling all the lucas/luigi/rob/wolf...ect players that they get to play with all the DDD/GW/LUCARIO players. Its like having a low tier tournament (mario/link/bowser...ect) and allowing falco to play. It completely negates the reason for mid tier events and thus you will see a mass amounts of DDD/GW/LUCARIO. oh and think about mid tier teams tournaments for a sec........GW+LUCARIO.........anubis and buckets in MID TIER. F THAT

The order of the chars i can deal with. its just the extra tiers that were made makes things really bad for TO and the over all list as well.

Most of the time im always on board with what xyro says but this is kind of dumb imo.

You shouldn't make the tier list or even the distinctions in the tier list based on how it affects anything aside from full cast brawl doubles and full cast brawl singles. Saying 'Were going to make DDD high tier because he would be too broken and OP in mid tier tournaments' seems highly ignorant to me. Mid tier and low tier tournaments shouldnt have any bearing on the tier list at all. because the fact is, in a mid tier only metagame, the tierlist would look vastly different than it does not because they characters would be judged on vastly different parameters (aka, it wouldnt be 66% based on your matchup with mk).

You dont place characters based on the implied reactions or results from placing them there. Thats jjust backwards.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Don't worry, knowing most of the BBR higher ups they might notice they made a huge mistake once they looked at how ridiculous the tierlist looks and eventually say "We ****ed up guys, 4 months time we're making version 9 and it's gonna look more cleaner and presentable"

Edit: What notable thing has Yoshi done? Besides showing that he's not a dead character yet. Cause seriously, even when I was active Yoshi wasn't winning ANYTHING. I'm not deluded.
I don't think I should have used the word notable since all the characters at this level don't really pull off huge tournament wins. It's just some characters have more "accomplishments" then others. Back when Sonic was top of mid tier it was thanks to his performance at MLG's. But since then people have learned how to fight Sonic and he hasnt really been pulling in anything impressive. On the other hand Shaky has been pulling in impressive wins and placings as Ness and even winning in some of his "bad" mu's. He has showed that even in 2013 Ness can still pull off some feats unlike Sonic. Ike has Ryo who has been taking names recently in Florida against great players and he placed top 5? at whobo. Delta has always been relevant for Yoshi (although he's been temporarily less active lately) as he's always been capable of beating high level players. MX and me have also been contributing (MX even won a tournament last month) Anyway, like I said before characters at this level aren't going to be winning huge tournaments but you can still see that at least characters like Ike/Ness/Yoshi have been pulling in some decent results and wins while Sonic hasn't. Unless I missed something. Does Sonic even have an actual main who's a threat atm?

Edit: @Tesh What results does Sonic have exactly?

Tesh

Smash Hero
how about something more specific about yoshi? all know about shaky and ryo, but what EXACTLY is yoshi getting done?

and no, all the best sonics are inactive/retired

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's not that people have learned how to play against Sonic, that's a huge understatement. Just the more notable Sonic mains hasn't even bothered with many tournaments lately.

Also, if you're talking about the one in Feb, can't you at least state that he used three other characters for winning that tournament? :<

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im active but only in my own region lol. I havent been to a tournament outside of upstate NY since apex 2012. espy has been busy with school. X is pretty much keeping to himself in Utah. Speed moved on to other games after he went to college, D1aos is trying to keep up what I assume is something like a 4.0 gpa in grad school. Wedge is still to young, poor and far away to get to any smash tournaments, plus he and I both play way more Marvel 3 now. Meek plays MK for like half of his matches, plus I havent heard of him being to a tournament in a while either despite living near Toronto. Like... Kid Craft24 and Tesh are probably the best active sonics right now. and even Tesh to my knowledge posts more on the boards than he actually plays the game. And True Blue is only good at doubles.

There used to be a legit Sonic army. and prior to each one of them falling off, their placings were all steadily improving as they went to more events. KidCraft is a good, albeit low profile example since hes steadily working his way up the PR in new england, consistently beating better and better players at each event he goes to..

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
A mid tier tourney with DDD banned would be no different than a regular tourney with MK banned anyway

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I don't know.... I think you'd fall to my :jigglypuff: before 3rd. If you'll be at SKTAR find Raptor or I for Puff dittos. It shall be the epitome of stupid hype.
I'm done with smash for a long time. :c

Player-1

Smash Legend

While I agree they shouldn't be mid tier, the tier list isn't (well shouldn't) based on how well mid tier events will run. The TO can just easily ban them from their event

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King Dedede in Mid Tier..? Wanna make DK bottom tier now? :urg:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I like the tier list and appreciate the effort people put through. It's not too far off my vote iirc, I'd have switched Diddy and Olimar, Moved Snake to 4th and Moved ICs behind falco or something like that. The upper mid tier is fine with me since I think we've seen as the games progressing that there is a clear divide between the "good"/viable and bad characters, although I can see how it would be problematic for midtier / low tier tournaments.

I wonder when taking the actual votes into consideration, how many votes indicated a tier line break down similar to the chart. As a prevalent example, I wonder if people voted ICs #2 thinking they'd be in the A tier while the interpretations of the data placed them in their own tier despite the intent of voters. I haven't actually gone back and counted, but if that example doesn't exist, I doubt many people made a distinction for A+ or A- in their voting.

I'd imagine the portrayal of the results data (aka the released tier list) is flawed in represented the intent of the voters in that regard, but then again, having not done a recount I might be wrong on that.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
the reason the tier list is so hard to make is because the game is so balanced :troll:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
If nintendo searched around for smash's competitive scene, they'd be able to make the 4th game the most amazing one yet, and the next one even better!
I know right! And then Nintendo might even sponsor Apex 2014!!!!!

Top Bottom