• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If anything, SKTAR2 showed me that Shielda vs DDD is +1
Shielda vs Gordos is -1.

Tesh

Smash Hero
So Diddy 1st, Snake 2nd, Olimar 3rd, IC 4th and MK 5th?
I'd put DK above MK though. DK beats Marth and ZSS, while only losing to diddy and olimar.

5th pika
6th dk
7th mk
8th falco
9th marth
10th wario

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Pretty sure Olimar was doing good everywhere cause of Dabuz Rich Brown Fino Denti etc. stepping it up. Apex helped, but it definitely wasn't the sole reason.

FourStar

Smash Ace
Tell that to Apex 2012
there's a difference between a huge event like apex and just another tournament. apex is worldwide and the best of the best going at it in one tournament. one tournament like SKTAR does not change the tier list that quick. even then, Apex changed the tier list MONTHS after it happened. all i'm saying is will the tier list change? absolutely. just give it time before we start making remarks about the tier list being wrong

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Let's pray for the Bracket allowing Jigglypuff vs Ike so people start overrating her.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
ZSS went up one spot after Apex, which would have probably happened anyway. Apex had zero affect on ZSS' tier list placement. I'm not sure why anyone is saying that.

Marth on the other hand...

Ed, I love your sheik.

FourStar

Smash Ace
honestly out all the characters on the tier list i still question why sheik is so low. she is so much better than what people think she is. even M2K thinks so

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sheik is Fox-minus in this game.

Both are extremely capable mobility wise vertically and horizontally. Their dash to shields, amazing power shield punishments and whatnot are top class. When you play them "well", you feel restricted by only how fast you can move your controller.

They just get bodied by too much dumb ****. And in Sheik's case, she can never ever kill.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I agree that Sheik is a lot better than her tier placement indicates. She's only so low because ICs/Pika/MK are such awful MUs. If it wasn't for them then I think she'd be BL, maybe even high tier considering how well she does against a lot of other BLs (Fox, Wolf). IIRC in Japan she is highish tier, or at least she was for a while.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't think she deserves to be much higher... she's just one of those characters who are actually capable of being used well. Used really really well she's still showing less merit than Donkey Kong.

I am wondering if the lack of KO ability is really all that important or not in brawl. Its certainly a perk if you can set-up into low percent KOs, but how about the ability to lack KO moves and still be able to body a character so well they never get the chance to really retaliate? Smash is a game where at like 400% grabs become KO moves. So eventually lacking a KO move is not really important or even necessary to go for because other options open up.

The point I am getting is could Sheik be one of those characters, but not in the most ideal way? Yes, she lacks any sort of KO power for a long time, but I wonder if its really necessary. Needles will tack on 18% and that's a pretty good number. It is more realistic though that it will not be the full damage though. Anyway, needles are great for punishing aerial landings. Maybe the best move capable of reliably timing and hitting landings due to lasting a long time and covering so much area.

Sheik has a variety of good launchers such as ftilt or her dthrow that put the opponent above her. With her ground speed and acceleration upwards she can reliably punish a variety of options the opponent tries to do in the air in that area. If they attack/air dodge first sheik can be there to catch it. If they get too far away or sheik cannot find a safe opening to attack she can needle the characters landing at the very least to tack on damage. Eventually, all these little exchanges should open up for high percent where she can start getting KOs.

I'm not saying this is top/high tier potential, but enough to probably pull her into upper mid tier perhaps. Either way it would require some results to back up the idea I guess. Having an IC/Pikachu weakness is not completely debilitating to one's tier list potential if you look at DDD. He has a slew of top tier match-up weaknesses and yet manages to place high. While having all manageable match-ups with the rest of the top/high tier (only -1) going even with most of mid tier. So, I do not see much in match-ups putting her behind if you go by that alone. Its probably something like the ease of which she gets these victories and results that are actually putting her behind.

Edit: Actually, going off of match-ups alone DK should fair worse in a tourney environment than Sheik does having worse -2-3 match-ups than Sheik does. And the stagelist is such now that I do not think its bothering her much to make any lasting impressions. Its probably just lack of results for the tier list.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Meta Knight can't KO well.
He either gimps or takes people by surprise and they DI wrong.

*goes away*

And what matchup do you think this concept applies to?

:059:
Its more the idea of being able to cut off an opponents options and keep them in a bad spot all the time that is more important. Whether or not a person has a strong KO move or not is secondary in this idea. MK can cut off options for a long time against many characters and just happens to have good KO options to boot to end stocks.

The most obvious examples of that idea would be MK versus most characters. Uair to space while being able to catch even ff air dodge through him for example or his ground speed to catch stuff low to the ground while disjoint to eat through aerials. Snake vs many characters in this idea as well since his aerials, nades, and air dodge make it such that they can all be avoid and still in position to punish.

I do not play enough Sheik to know if she can keep someone in a bad position forever, but I think she is built such that she need sonly a few encounters to rack up the damage quickly to allow for her to open up to more KO options other than situations gimps and KOs. If an opponent gets stuck on a platform she is still in a strong position to punish their attempts to get off. At worst, she can reset to neutral by throwing needles to cover landings and get damage.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Just answering your question.
I'd ask you to not be a **** about it, but I'd rather not waste my time. :applejack:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Meta Knight can't KO well.
He either gimps or takes people by surprise and they DI wrong.

*goes away*
Or he just maintains stage control the entire time and builds up your damage quickly while threatening to gimp you and taking minimal damage in the process.
Sure, he doesn't kill most chars til like 140 or 150, but he has absolutely no problem with hitting you offstage over and over again until you're either at that % or you get gimped.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
MK still gets kills easier than pretty much everyone in the cast.

Top Bottom