• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Toon Link support thread, home to the Knights of the Drowned Kingdom!

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
im so pissed...well are you guys happy?you got your clone of link -_- RIP mewtwo T_T

Fawriel

Smash Master
... *hangs head and sighs*

So much for the big celebration. **** you, Sakurai. Just **** you.

Bassoonist, can I confirm that you're a pretty awful Smash fan who, if he doesn't get his way, declares Sakurai and SSBB a failure, deciding that if it's not made as if God created it, it's the worst thing ever made?

You don't deserve to play any iteration of Smash, you spoiled Smash failure. Yeah, let's flame Sakurai, who instead of focusing on making brand new games, made SSBB so that we would get more than online SSBM. He could have let you just have online, but he diverted his attention from his games to help Nintendo out, and YOU guys out, but I guess he has to make the game for YOU and only YOU.

Grow up and pretend that you're a decent person. Sakurai should be respected for all the **** he put into the game, not dissed because you are a ten year old crybaby.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Bassoonist, can I confirm that you're a pretty awful Smash fan who, if he doesn't get his way, declares Sakurai and SSBB a failure, deciding that if it's not made as if God created it, it's the worst thing ever made?

You don't deserve to play any iteration of Smash, you spoiled Smash failure. Yeah, let's flame Sakurai, who instead of focusing on making brand new games, made SSBB so that we would get more than online SSBM. He could have let you just have online, but he diverted his attention from his games to help Nintendo out, and YOU guys out, but I guess he has to make the game for YOU and only YOU.

Grow up and pretend that you're a decent person. Sakurai should be respected for all the **** he put into the game, not dissed because you are a ten year old crybaby.
Why are you blaming me, here?

Do you fail to realize that so many other people are complaining here? Why did you single me out? I merely complained about WW Link looking to be a clone of Link. Really asking for Link and WW Link to be different from each other isn't too much to ask for.

I don't think you have to right to tell me whether I can play a Super Smash Bros. game or not. You are so unnaccepting of other opinions. You're a jerk, nothing more.

I thought, at least YOU, could see that WW Link being a clone of Link is just wrong. What I'm seeing here is an half ***** roster. Beyond the starting roster there is nothing exciting. That's just not right.

Sakurai spent to much time on the story mode. Some of us like vs. mode and a huge variety (which this game DOES NOT HAVE.) better. You would think with all of the people working and how long they had that perhaps a story mode and a decent vs. mode could be done, but I guess not.

Fawriel

Smash Master
As hard as it is to say this, I agree with what Bassoonist said. Except for the part about the bow, of course. But by now, it wouldn't surprise me if "Toon" Link moved just like the old one... same A moves... same way of walking, running... ... it would be inexcusable.

I've attacked anyone who attacked Sakurai for minor things like this.

You basically tell the unlimited flow of amazing content to step aside so you can flame Sakurai for a handful of complaints.

Sakurai didn't put his time, effort, energy, and imagination into Brawl to get flamed. Hell, for all you know, the reason why we didn't get original movesets for the clone/half-clones is because he was being rushed to release Brawl ASAP?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Didn't seem like he was being rushed. Delays and all.

He should have put some more thought into his priorities. The whole game builds up on characters. Fluff like stickers, trophies and trophy shooters are completely secondary. The whole game is about having fun with the characters, and that's what all the secondary functions are there for as well.
And the very sad part is that it's not even the number of characters that's so very disappointing, but the choices. It's only a few bad choices, but in such a relatively small roster, they have a great detrimental effect. If you'd trade just two or three of the current characters for different ones, you'd have a very satisfactory roster already. But somehow he even failed to do that right. And yes, it's a fact that Wolf and ROB are bad choices. At least in a 35 character roster.

And finally, no, Sakurai did not make the game to get flamed. He made the game to get payed.

One thing Sakurai considers SSB as is an encyclopedia of Nintendo information.

I'm going to have fun with Young Link no matter what happens, and Ganondorf having Ganon as an FS leaves hope that we'll see some uniqueness.

espio87

Smash Ace
Don't get dissapointed on WW Link just because you saw him with a Bow. It's true that Sakurai could have given him another B move but maybe it has completely different properties than TP Link's making him a Luigified clone.

espio87

Smash Ace
Don't get dissapointed on WW Link just because you saw him with a Bow. It's true that Sakurai could have given him another B move but maybe it has completely different properties than TP Link's making him a Luigified clone.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
And according to this video, it looks like Toon Link is officially a clone of Link.

That's just yet another disappointment. Are Wolf and Falco going to be clones as well?

On the other hand I like the stage and music. I think Sakurai did that really well.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Hey guys, here's the official WW Stage thread made by yours truly. Please post here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=139749

@ Fawriel:

Keep in mind that Wolf isn't confirmed yet. I think that part of the leak may turn out false. As for ROB, I think he's a brilliant inclusion but that's just me. Aside from the lack of Ridley, I have no major qualms with the final roster. Plus, a small roster size means that the gameplay will be much more polished and balanced than Melee.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Whoops, SWF is sucking it up once again. (This was a double post.) I tried to quote and respond to a few people several times, but finally had to give up. It finally let me post the following...

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Wow... I don't know what to say... I spoiled it for myself a bit I guess. I haven't seen the video, but I don't like all this negativity. I was hoping he would look more cel-shaded and stuff, but he could have not been in at all so...

I can't find the words, but we need to be positive now more than ever. This could be SO MUCH WORSE! (Plus am I right in that we don't know all of his moves? Like I said, I haven't, and won't watch the video.) Ugh, I know how you feel guys, but... ugh... I'll wait and see.

Fawriel

Smash Master
He's not nearly as bouncy as he could be.

One positive note is that his dair now makes him quickly fall downwards. Decent horizontal knockback from what I saw. Good surprise attack.
But besides that... his moves seem to be the same in all respects. Even the grounded up-b.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
^^^I suppose you're right about the "bouncy," (I haven't seen it) but... here's something I've been trying to submit for a while now;

OK guys... here's something to help the pain, and I'm not talking about the entire roster, I'm talking about Toon Link looking... not cel shaded.

"The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch. This time, however, we were able to borrow characters from various development teams, which was a big help. Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles." –Sakurai

It's the idea that Toon Link is exactly the same model as he was in our beloved Wind Waker, and he has just stepped into the world of Smash. He is exactly the same, but when in a new world or dimension if you will, his appearance, or rather just the lighting of his texture went through a perceived change. (Though it didn't have to work like this, it DID.) He is still our # 1 hero, and we should welcome him to Brawl! Is he a clone? I'm not sure, but he can't be worse than Y Link was in Melee, regardless of priority differences. I would easily accept it if he was at least Luigified.

(I don't want to know anymore about the roster please, I've avoided looking at it, and have avoided as many rumors as possible... I just couldn't help but find out about Toon Link.)

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
I've attacked anyone who attacked Sakurai for minor things like this.

You basically tell the unlimited flow of amazing content to step aside so you can flame Sakurai for a handful of complaints.

Sakurai didn't put his time, effort, energy, and imagination into Brawl to get flamed. Hell, for all you know, the reason why we didn't get original movesets for the clone/half-clones is because he was being rushed to release Brawl ASAP?
Minor things like this? Shows what you mother****ing know, the roster is the most important part of the game, now then he put over 2 years into this game, 700 hundred people, 3 delays and an entire poll to find out what characters people want, for what? A roster that almost no one likes? Its not even the fact that its small but the fact that major characters have been left out in favor of... others, and there are still clones and even on top of that he cant even make WW Link the way people like him, he like more like "Updated Young Link", just because you get what you wanted and you like other things about the game doesn't mean other people did, or is that to hard for your ignorant mind to understand?

Now seriously, you have no right to tell us weather we can complain or not most of us have been checking the dojo every single day since it opened, talked about brawl for an entire year and highly anticipated and waited for the game for 6 ****ing years so you, ignorant little *** hole should just shut the **** up and get out of the forums if all your going to do is act like an *** wipe. Ok?

maian

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who LOVES WWLink? A lot? The video was absolutely everything I was hoping for. Honestly people, what's the big fscking deal with clones? If you had any measure of intelligence, it's really bloody easy to tell he plays entirely different. So he has the same moves. BIG DEAL. I'm so sick of everyone complaining. It's so annoying. If you think you can do a better job, then so be it. Brawl is more than anything we imagined, despite the roster. Melee's turned out worse than this, and look at you guys now. I know if I were Sakurai, I wouldn't want to prepare a massive, epic game project for two+ years, spending my whole life on it, to have the entire fanbase start whining and complaining because they didn't get 250 characters, most of which who are probably pathetic people whose lives depend on sitting on a couch, playing the game 24/7.

Now, I LOVE the new WW Link. It could be because I was an avid Young Link supporter in Melee, but he's awesome. I wouldn't have him any other way. Get your minds out of "OMFG CLONEZ I H8 U SAKURA CANCELLING PREORDERDS WHAA", and learn to appreciate it, gawd.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Maian, don't be mean. Exaggerating your opposition's stance is just lazy and only serves to make you feel better about yourself.

And, I can't speak for the others, but I'm just somewhat disappointed that he seems to move just about as stiffly as the old Link. I disliked about Melee how the characters seem to move very mechanically, and I really wished for some characters who'd really jump around and move their whole body and stuff. I wanted Toon Link to move like Squirtle. At least I have that one now.
But, yes, I like Toon Link.

Now please stop acting like people were asking for 250 characters. It's ridiculous. Most people would be content with 35 if they were at least good choices.

maian

Smash Apprentice
It was quite the exaggeration, yes. :)

So, forgive me for that. It's simply the ridiculous amount of irrationality I've seen all over the place lately. Just because we have three or so clone characters, people are threatening not to buy it, calling it "Melee part 2", saying they hate Sakurai, and on and on and on and on.

Not to mention, I think people would be loving the roster if it was just kept hidden from us. If the nine characters on the Dojo were never revealed, I'm sure all kinds of fans would be saying. "Hmm, final roster. Doesn't have Geno and Ridley, but it has _______ and _________ and ______. It seems that, because they've been revealed, people are acting like they don't exist.

Anyway, I don't want to be marked as one of the annoying whiners, whining about people who whine, so I'll stop while I'm ahead. I just think that many other people can agree with me that people are acting ridiculous.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Guess who's back in action!

Thanks to the glorious Youko, we have our headquarters back! Huzzah!

What you're doing is not prioritizing characters at the top, what you're doing is saying "nothing matters except for characters."

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I'm as big a WW Link fan as the next guy here, but is anyone else disappointned in how....ugly his picture is? They took away the cel-shading, which was the only thing going for him. In realistic graphics, he's an ugly mo' fo'

I'm glad he's in, but not in the way he should be. Oh well, **** happens.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
What you're doing is not prioritizing characters at the top, what you're doing is saying "nothing matters except for characters."
What we are saying is that they are the most important part of the game. Which they are, and if you disagree with that point it shows what you know.

And yeah, they ****ed up WW Link as well, as I said he is more like "Updated young link" rather than WW Link (Or should I say toon Link >_<). And wiseguy... no.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I think we can pretty much scrap the WWLink support, as the Young Link we got is NOT WWLink. He doesn't even deserve to use the Wind Waker taunt, but he is, and it's disgraceful.

I said I was going to main WW Link if he was in, but now I'm not so sure. I mean, we DIDN'T get WWLink.....

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm as big a WW Link fan as the next guy here, but is anyone else disappointned in how....ugly his picture is? They took away the cel-shading, which was the only thing going for him. In realistic graphics, he's an ugly mo' fo'

I'm glad he's in, but not in the way he should be. Oh well, **** happens.
I like the way he looks....
What you're doing is not arguing, it's exaggerating your opposition's arguments to the point of ridiculousness. Stop it.
Fawriel, I'll give you ten bucks to change the club name from "Knights of the Drowned Kingdom" to "The Looney Toons." Please? Pretty please?
Make that fifteen!

... I mean, uhm. Over my cold dead body!

What I know = characters don't make the game. If SSBB had to give up online or SSE or Stickers to add more characters, I'd be more upset than having less characters.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Shows how much of a smash fan you are. And what you "Know" = your own very silly little opinion. I mean who the **** is arguing that we didn't get enough characters? No one, especially not on this thread, and I never said we didn't get enough so stop arguing points that no one is supporting.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
While I'm happy that Toon Link made it to Brawl, I am also a little irked at the fact that he's just a clone of the older Link. I'm pretty impressed by his speed though. I only hope he has a little more power than before. I don't know about anyone else, but it was pretty difficult for me to get kills as Young Link. x_x

Z. Hoot

Smash Cadet
Hey, can I join this godly alliance? I'm going to main Toon Link. He seems like the perfect character.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Now you see why I wanted ranks Fawriel? How are we going to distinguish a long time member who support WW Link for many months before now from... Z hoot?

If SSBB was 50 characters w/o clones and only multi-player that was good, I'd be pretty pissed. I'm glad Sakurai focused on the encyclopedic aspects of the game, as well as the incredible single player mode. But the fact of the matter is that he put more into the character roster than he did in any Smash game before it.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hey, can I join this godly alliance? I'm going to main Toon Link. He seems like the perfect character.
Sure, why not.

Now you see why I wanted ranks Fawriel? How are we going to distinguish a long time member who support WW Link for many months before now from... Z hoot?
Hmm, I guess.

If SSBB was 50 characters w/o clones and only multi-player that was good, I'd be pretty pissed. I'm glad Sakurai focused on the encyclopedic aspects of the game, as well as the incredible single player mode. But the fact of the matter is that he put more into the character roster than he did in any Smash game before it.
If SSBB was 35 characters without clones, but no stickers, half the ATs and half the Pokeballs and trophies, everyone would be content.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yeah Fawriel, I totally agree. Considering the 4 or so clones, we only have 30 characters. This is FOUR MORE than Melee. It's disgusting. 35 would be great if they were not clones.

I actually DO call Brawl "Melee 2.0" because it's the exact same setup as Melee was. We get 9-ish new characters, most of them are starters, and the rest of the unlockables are clones.
I'm a supporter of clones, would there be enough originals.

Anyway, Toon Link looks really cool, but he looks to play exactly as he did in Melee, and that's a bit disappointing, not gonna lie. I said I was going to main him, and I will, along with Olimar or Pit, because I need to play with SOMEONE whose unique in Brawl.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I agree with you Fawriel, 100%.

I would have loved for Toon Link to have not been a clone, and I don't understand why he is... but I have to get over that, I guess. :(

Anyways, I'll take the time right now to say that I apologize for any trouble I gave you guys in the past bringing up the age old argument "He's just another Link", of course I came to my senses a few weeks or so ago... But I think now that he's confirmed I will use him a lot. He looks like a fun character to use. I always liked using Young Link in Melee.

Top Bottom