• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Tournament Rules Discussion TOPIC

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^^since so many people use Jigglypuff or Samus offline, right?

Joking aside, I think either 8 or 10 minutes work but 10 minutes just in case people are brawl campy.

malva00

Smash Master
time is too dangerous people will forget how many stocks have gone

someone will go "hey you just lost your FIFTH STOCK" and the other guy will go "NO I DID NOT THAT WAS FOUR"

and then thinking about the whole thing to keep track will MESS YOUR GAME UP

The Star King

Smash Hero
Wait, why would we play time matches in a tournament setting? It should always be stocks, imo.
They're saying that since you can't have an in-game timer for stocks in Smash64 like you can in the future smash games, you can do you a timed match until somebody gets five kills or time runs out, to effectively have a "timed stock match".

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
time is too dangerous people will forget how many stocks have gone

someone will go "hey you just lost your FIFTH STOCK" and the other guy will go "NO I DID NOT THAT WAS FOUR"

and then thinking about the whole thing to keep track will MESS YOUR GAME UP
You reset. If the person who thought that the other guy died 5 times was wrong, then the percents was reset.
(plus possibly some sort of deduction for being a scrub at counting)

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
You reset. If the person who thought that the other guy died 5 times was wrong, then the percents was reset.
(plus possibly some sort of deduction for being a scrub at counting)
You can't recreate a part of the game by just going back there and putting the same percents up. Mindsets etc change. Time is stupid lol.

Battlecow

Play to Win
My hobby: Taking the word "camping" to mean actually physically setting up a tent in the great outdoors and hanging out.

It's really fun.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
With enough patience, the tornadoes on Hyrule eventually force someone out of their camping spot (or make it a weaker position to be in). So both players can't camp forever. Unless they conspire to not attack each other the whole game. Then perhaps you could decide it by coin flip (not that different from waiting for bombs to randomly hit someone first in Melee's sudden death, if neither player attacks the other). Anyway I think it would be rare enough that it could be confronted with on a case by case basis by the TO.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
With enough patience, the tornadoes on Hyrule eventually force someone out of their camping spot (or make it a weaker position to be in). So both players can't camp forever. Unless they conspire to not attack each other the whole game. Then perhaps you could decide it by coin flip (not that different from waiting for bombs to randomly hit someone first in Melee's sudden death, if neither player attacks the other). Anyway I think it would be rare enough that it could be confronted with on a case by case basis by the TO.
There are smashers with that much patience.

You also forget that many competitive players play Kirby or Pikachu who have enough aerial priority that even if they are in a bad position due to a nado, they still can easily camp.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
What is the reason behind leaving out the Lava Stage as a choice? I know that not every character has an UP B to be affective on the lava stage for recovery, but couldn't you just allow a skip if there is no loft to the Up B? ex: Yoshi and Jiggy on a random pick to the lava stage. Just like Ness in a sense.

Is there more to the jank of the lava stage or what?

Blade XVI

Smash Rookie
yea mostly ever time a pick it just for some fun there's always somebody *****n about it

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
I think hyrule isn't too neutral, i.e Fox vs Jiggs, Fox can easiky camp w/ the lasers and jiggs has trouble approaching. And where's my Saffron city

dandan

Smash Lord
I think hyrule isn't too neutral, i.e Fox vs Jiggs, Fox can easiky camp w/ the lasers and jiggs has trouble approaching. And where's my Saffron city
saffron is a counter pick, because it induces camping on the helipad and the such.
imo hyrule is as neutral as it comes, dreamland also has problems (aka pikachu ;)) but between them i feel hyrule is more decent to more characters.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I think killing yourself might be too much, maybe just 1-3 free hits, and the one who paused must announce when he is going to unpause, because an certain death seems to harsh, accidents do happen.
And the free shots can be anywhere the opposing player decided.

nuro

Smash Lord
I consider myself to be a sudo ssb64 player and I find it odd that the most popular stage isn't the one used in many tournaments.

I agree with Isai I think Hyrule is the most neutral stage since it is the stage with the least disadvantages for all characters.

Dreamland gives certain characters a substantial advantage over other characters because edge guarding takes a larger role. Many people seem to think that this stage is the more balanced because there are no walls and no tornadoes. These people are simply overlooking the fact that Dreamland is a very small stage that leads to frequent edgeguarding.

I think that saying the **** tent is cheap is simply unsupported and unjustified. Some people claim that the **** tent is too cheap if someone camps it, but that isn't necessarily true because most of the time a skilled player will combo the person out of the **** tent to kill them anyway. I rarely see players try to camp the **** tent and when they do their camping plans get foiled so long as both players are keeping the pressure on and not letting the distance gap get too big.

I find it pretty odd that Japan favors dreamland over hyrule for tournaments. I don't think that should affect USA/Canada from considering Hyrule as the most neutral stage.

Maybe a lot of people don't say anything about it or lie about Dreamland's neutrality because they use a character that gets an advantage on Dreamland. Although, I think there could be another reason such as many people having the melee mindset and thinking that you can wall tech the **** tent to stay alive for longer?

IDK, but I think it is time to change the most popular stage into the most neutral especially since most people have the most experience on that stage from playing it so often.

Also, if two players are noob enough to let a STAND STILL happen then why not just make it so that the player doing worse has to move in within some time frame or else he takes a penalty of some sort.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
im considering tweaking Isai's rules a bit for my future tourneys haha. maybe make winners semis best of 5, and include zebes as one of the allowable stages. what do you guys think?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i think zebes is a good stage. the 3/5 thing is fine, Ive done the same for barlw//melee things I have helped hosted.

Maybe once Zebes is added, there are enough neutrals to turn on Dave's Stupid Rule for smash 64 to make it so 30 games are not on Hyrule.

It might make the game more fun offline.

malva00

Smash Master
wtf is koro talking about there are enough stages already

1. Hyrule

2-5 Hyrule, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, Dreamland

there's already SSB DSR in place in the first post for best of 5 since the beginning of time. I was thinking of adding it to the best of three but not that big of a deal

offline = emulator but not online; you should say console instead

one thing I considered was

Game 1: Hyrule
2-4: Dreamland, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle (each must be played once)
Game 5: Hyrule

if you wanna go to ZEBES just make your opponent agree "come on it'll be fun" there are no banned stages in the first post

P D

Smash Ace
if you wanna go to ZEBES just make your opponent agree; use your powers of persuasion "come on it'll be fun" there are no banned stages in the first post
this made me loooooooooooooooooooooooololololzozlolzz

irl

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
True, but in Melee you get a lot more damage from it by bouncing in it then just getting hit once and making it back. Stage's aren't banned for how "cheap" they are, they're banned because they're very unfair for some characters. Zebes might give small advantages to characters with good recoveries, so I think it should be a legal counter pick at least.

Just my $0.02

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
^^^Please explain why Mushroom Kingdom is not cheap.
You don't understand,

They're is cheap stages, there is unfair stages, their is extremely unfair stages, there is cheap and unfair stages, their is cheap and extremely unfair stages, and their are stages with none of those properties.

The stages that are only cheap, or none of those properties are legal.

You get that? :laugh:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
They're is cheap stages, there is unfair stages, their is extremely unfair stages, there is cheap and unfair stages, their is cheap and extremely unfair stages, and their are stages with none of those properties.

The stages that are only cheap, or none of those properties are legal.

You get that?

>They're
>is
>Their

in other terms, no I don't get what you mean, what do you define as a "cheap" stage

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace

Mushroom Kingdom is pretty much the most imbalanced stage in this game.

Peach's Castle should be the new Hyrule (just because it's so awesome).
kirby says hi...?

PIKACHU IS SHAKING UR HAND!

but seriously, if peache's castle is on the list, i don't see why zebes shouldn't be. peaches castle ***** samus, and like previously mentioned, the size of zebes is just right for characters that arent gifted with great recoveries.

DMoogle

A$
Samus is the only character who's SEVERELY disadvantaged at Peach's Castle, IMO.

I didn't say it was as balanced as Hyrule, it's just so awesome. I do think it's reasonably balanced though.

I kind of feel like it favors stronger players more than Hyrule/Dreamland does (i.e. better players are going to have more of an advantage on Peach's Castle than at the other two places). Might just be my imagination though.

Top Bottom