• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

MasterC

Smash Ace
Hey guys new to this forum. Finally in a place where I can spend some more time playing this game so I am interested in getting back into competitive play. I have been playing enough lately for my hands to remember the tech stuff, but I know that doesnt mean much. So I was hoping a couple people (in north Seattle) would lend me their time and patience sometime and play
whereabouts in North Seattle are you??

I'm on NE 145th St. and Lake City Way if you're close we can arrange something for sure yo

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
What a good place to be. Our tournaments are held up in Lynnwood and most of the smashers are between there and u-dist

MasterC

Smash Ace
Im on 208th st sw off of hwy 99 lynnwood, so I am about 15-20 min away. thanks for the reply
yea man we're pretty close, you got a car/transportation?

more importantly, are you 420 friendly?

lol if you answered yes to both q's you can pretty much come smash anytime at my place

:phone:

C!Z

Smash Lord
Anyone up north? Might be interested in playin some melee tonight. Vish is being a homo and I feel like playin.

C!Z

Smash Lord
I bet if he got 795 he woulda thrown his pencil and paper down and ran out the room.

So when are we gonna be real men and stop playin on Kongo? Like it's not a real stage. You want to take the randomness out of the CP's, that's the worst stage for such a thing. I've been talking to hella people about it, and it's a hella unanimous decision that it shouldn't be a legal stage. It's totally a peach/spacie stage with a RANDOM a$$ barrel. Hella other stages should be legal if we're gonna allow that dumb *** stage. Get real, Otto. You know that stage isn't a real stage in the terms of being legit. Idk, it's just dumb. Everything is spacie oriented in this state. Like if you think about it Pokemon stadium shouldn't even be legal. We need to come to terms why that stage should be legal. Please don't make me bring up the peach vs ganondorf match. So please provide some good reasons or else we need to have a serious discussion on why that stage should be legal.

This is 100% real talk. Like if you don't have a legit response don't respond or you will be berated. If you're not good enough to offer good input you will be berated. Kongo is honestly one of the most controversial stages allowed in this game. The fact that we're a high spacie abundant state makes it worse. I better hear some legit arguments from you space animals mains if you think it should be legal. Cuz it's definitely in their favor.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
^ Vish and Ciz are drinking, and Ciz just lost an MM.

(edit: also fwiw I don't like kongo at all LOL I always ban it)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LOL aight aight. You have to admit the scenario of you guys drunk MM'ing is plausible/humorous though. But anyway well I don't really think it's that great of a stage, although I don't think the randomness is necessarily the main factor (I think most non-Peach/Puff/Samus chars are ****ed once they land in the barrel anyway, even if the barrel saves them, cuz you don't get your jump back) so I'm fine with banning it. A lot of places ban it anyway, like you said.

At the same time, it doesn't really scream "broken" to me, and I'm not convinced that the Peach/Ganon match in question (Pink Shinobi vs RockCrock) couldn't have happened on, say, Dream Land.

So I guess I'm kinda in the middle on this issue. I didn't really have much to add, but I figured I'd post anyway just so people know where I stand on it. OTTO, RAJKUMAR, TEDDLESWORTH, STATE YOUR CASES!!!

C!Z

Smash Lord
LOL you edited hella times. It's just the fact if we're gonna allow that stage, why aren't we allowing hella other stages? There's NO REASON that stage should be allowed over others. It's such a high spacie priority stage. There's a reason we don't allow the other stages, but people don't seem to realize that this stage offers the same "stupidity" as the others.

Basically my whole concern is "WHY THAT STAGE?!" What makes it legal over the other stages that have been previously banned? I just wanna know why. Like provide some good a$$ input and I'll STFU. Until then I think you all are being really stupid for allowing it.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Ya I edited like 14 times LOL. Had to get the wording just right

But yeah I could honestly see the same ruleset we currently have with say, Brinstar/Mute City legal instead of Kongo. Basically all 3 are stages that favor floaties like Peach/Puff more than anybody.

C!Z

Smash Lord
My biggest argument honestly is WHY IS IT THE "ONLY" COUNTERPICK? LIke why is that the stage that you can counterpick to? Why not other stages but that one? There should be multiple stages to CP if we're going by counterpicking logic. Like someone please provide a good argument.

MasterC

Smash Ace
what ciz/toph are saying, cuz they're better than me

BUT.......

someone better than ciz plzzzzzzz tell him to play more spacies and stfu

lol for real yo, 7 posts that could be 1 simple post

EDIT: toph, how did you not perfect SAT math??? lol easypeezy babeeeeeee

C!Z

Smash Lord
Lol I play the bird, mang. I just really hate everyone's logic about that stage. Tryna get my post count up Naw mean.

Lmao 7 posts a bit much though. Where the **** is my infraction at

satan666

Smash Apprentice
Lol I play the bird, mang. I just really hate everyone's logic about that stage. Tryna get my post count up Naw mean.

Lmao 7 posts a bit much though. Where the **** is my infraction at
How about silver up and quit *****ing and get better.

******!!!!!!!!!!!!

C!Z

Smash Lord
I play fine on that stage. The stage itself is just dumb for competitive play. Can't wait to **** you. Can't wait to beat your *** at smash too.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
I play fine on that stage. The stage itself is just dumb for competitive play. Can't wait to **** you. Can't wait to beat your *** at smash too.
LOL!!!!

As far as kongo goes as a counter pick it seems viable to a point I don't like the stage much myself seems I have to ban it against characters like peach and jiggs then they get a free cp to dreamland. I actually don't even know all the counter picks you guys use in wa is it only kongo and ps? Since I'm posting if I make it to gc this weekend anyone wanna team?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I bet if he got 795 he woulda thrown his pencil and paper down and ran out the room.
I'm not proud of that incident. Hopefully we can put that behind us and play sometime, though.

At the same time, it doesn't really scream "broken" to me, and I'm not convinced that the Peach/Ganon match in question (Pink Shinobi vs RockCrock) couldn't have happened on, say, Dream Land.
Two extremely high side platforms is a huge difference from one top center platform.

Falcon abuses the "time them out" aspect of the stage better than anyone else, probably, since he can cross the gap between the two platforms so easily.

I think Kongo is pretty bull****, not for randomness or stages size or lack of edges, but just for the two high side platforms letting fast characters run away from slow ones if they want. If it weren't for that aspect then it would just be Stadium status (a stage that offers advantages to some characters, but doesn't break the game in any way). I'm neutral on that issue (stage diversity vs. matchup balance).

it is not rare for a tournament to have kong legal, and for that reason alone i feel it could reasonably sit in our legal stage list. other than that its w/e. im not gonna sit here and pretend its super legit or anything, but yea, youre never gonna see mute city or the like on any stage list anymore, so theres really no reason to add those, which i know you dont want anyway, ciz lol.

for now i say we just take the "next national tournament" path for our ruleset. sooo apex rules are in order. w/e those are lol.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
My biggest argument honestly is WHY IS IT THE "ONLY" COUNTERPICK? LIke why is that the stage that you can counterpick to? Why not other stages but that one? There should be multiple stages to CP if we're going by counterpicking logic. Like someone please provide a good argument.
Actually, I think it being the ONLY cp stage (well, it and Stadium) is pretty nice. That way if you want to just ban it and reduce the stagelist to the neutrals you can do that. So with the current ruleset, a typical spacie vs floaty set could have the spacie banning Kongo, the floaty banning Stadium, and you're left with the neutrals. Obviously this doesn't happen everytime, but yeah.

Whereas, if you allow multiple CP stages that are similar tier in jank, i.e. Mute City, Brinstar, Kongo all legal, then you're forced to play on a non-neutral stage no matter what.

Which might not necessarily be a bad thing, mind you; it's just a different standard than we're used to. With the current stagelist, tournament sets generally just get narrowed down to the neutral stages.

I've also seen rulesets where there are multiple jank stages but players can opt to ban all "CP" stages OR ban 1 neutral stage. And I've also seen rulesets like the FC10R ruleset where players can ban multiple jank stages so the effect is the same anyway. Both of these are also imo good ways to include more weird stages but also allow people to ban all of them if they don't want to play on them.

EDIT: toph, how did you not perfect SAT math??? lol easypeezy babeeeeeee
o damn did you get 800? Man I ****ed up on some hella easy question iirc lol. Like I made some silly arithmetic error cuz I took that **** back in the dark ages when calculators weren't allowed

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Toph doesn't know the probability of pulling the blue marble out of the bag :smirk:

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Hey Washington Melee thread. I may be in the Seattle area during Thanksgiving time (Nov. 21-25). Anyone wanna do any smashing while I'm in the area? I suspect I will be very available and VorpalStorm and I would love to play some if someone doesnt mind picking us up from my relative's place.

If anyone is interested please let me know. I will have more details as the dates approach.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I'm down! Dunno what I'm doing for thanksgiving yet though. I'm sure people will be down to play with you though.

Edit: LOL cmon Krynxe, FOH with that, I took Statistics and did a project on using Logistic Regression to simulate and predict tournament brackets, I'm pretty sure I could **** wit some marbles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_density Boom ***** I got densities up in this.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
haha just playin toph

lol I remember when ciz banned dl versus me in bracket and I went to kongo without knowing how much he hated that stage. lulz

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I low key hate kongo and stadium cuz Vish likes em. I banned stadium on that ***** and he ***** me super hard on Kongo...****s gay. dont wanna talk about it anymore.

Top Bottom