• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Whistle Armor Cancel (WAC) Thread! Updated 4/6/08! Info + Vids!

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
All right, thanks for the explanation. I like the vids, but as someone stated before, the timing seems to be difficult.

However, I haven't actually played the game yet...I'm sure I'll develop a feel for it.

Thanks for the good topic, Holla.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
All right, thanks for the explanation. I like the vids, but as someone stated before, the timing seems to be difficult.

However, I haven't actually played the game yet...I'm sure I'll develop a feel for it.

Thanks for the good topic, Holla.
Once you do it about twenty or so times the timing is not that bad. It's like learning the proper timing for L-Canceling in Melee, but it doesn't take as much time.

Also, as far as what happened last night. I went to the Smashfest expecting to get tons of vids regarding my WACing skills. Unfortunately, there was a dispute about the rules in each tournament, so I didn't play in either one. I did, however, MM Bum. And I did hold my own even though he smoked me. But when you're within the top three players in the tri-state area, not to mention the greatest DK in Melee in the world, I feel kinda proud of myself. There was quite a bit of WACing, but apparently not enough doing it properly.

What I did get vids of was Starzonedge, who you may remember from our Olimar ditto a while back. Check out the two vids I posted in the first post against Shadow's MK. Starz's playstyle is much different from mine, and he doesn't WAC anywhere near as much. However, he is smarter than me because instead of throwing it out all the time, he uses it very sparingly, and makes it count. Check out the vids, it helps alot to see a few proper situations to use it.

But yay! I'm getting the game tonight, and may be able to research it as much as possible.

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, after reading like the first page about WAC I got bored, so I odn't know whether this has been said or not.
But another side advantage is that WACing also lets you call your pikmin closer to you, as well as sort them out. Cause that was the move's original intent anyways :p

By the way, I also do not know if this has been answered yet,
but if you short hop, then whistle, does the effect of landing cancel the effect of whistling altogether ? That would be rather useful, as one could short hop, WAC Ikes forward smash, and instantly land into a grab/smash/ect.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Unfortunately, after reading like the first page about WAC I got bored, so I odn't know whether this has been said or not.
But another side advantage is that WACing also lets you call your pikmin closer to you, as well as sort them out. Cause that was the move's original intent anyways :p

By the way, I also do not know if this has been answered yet,
but if you short hop, then whistle, does the effect of landing cancel the effect of whistling altogether ? That would be rather useful, as one could short hop, WAC Ikes forward smash, and instantly land into a grab/smash/ect.
I'll try not to make this response "boring."

All of the things you've mentioned were addressed in the first post.

You can short hop WAC into a FSmash and have no landing lag, which you can use to punish.

Nosferatu

Smash Rookie
The whistle armor technique is of course only good if you know EXACTLY how to use it
and no, not just in timing
but with what moves
you cant just do it on any old smash attack or whatever that comes along
ive found it RIDICULOUSLY useful against projectile users like Samus
and heavy hitters like Ike

Ive even gotten to the point to where when im fighting someone that tries to pull their final smash on me like, Pikachu, Sonic, or even Pit
im able to Whistle Armor through their entire final smash
and never even budge

it also pretty much eliminates edge camping completely
for those dumb enough to think that camping > hogging against Olimar

so
its a really really useful skill but
i wouldnt spend the entire match just trying to pull it off
its an emergency tactic only

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
It's all about rhythm in my opinion. There's a certain rhythm that goes along with the whistle. You have to know when you're about to get attacked and somehow time it just right so that you activate it just perfectly everytime. And when you're getting combo'd, that's when the rhythm thing gets more sensible. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I have this thing with patterns. Anyway, I personally have been able to use the whistle in several battles and have surprised people with it. I haven't mastered it, but I've done some pretty amazing stuff with it. Olimar's definitely awesome.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Wow being away from the boards is weird. It's all good though.

Anyway, my fiance and I were playing with items (because it's fun), and I tried to Up+B into a Smash Ball unsuccessfully, only to find as I was landing that she hurled a Bomb-omb my way. As soon as I landed I Whistled, and WACed the Bomb-omb probably within the first one or two frames of the animation. Regardless of her freaking out over my canceling it, I was stoked because I am now almost positive the Whistle Armor comes out with the first frame of the animation.

Just thought I'd share (and bump a bit).

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I haven't been around for a while. Boards for some reason just wouldn't connect to my computer for a few months.

I'm bumping the thread again with new info and vids.

Also, if anyone has ANY info or vids to add to the compendium, please let me know!

themagicnickel

Smash Rookie
lol. I was just about to make a thread about this exact same thing. I accidently did it in batte once and tried to re-test it. The timing isnt that hard to master if u practice. I get it 90% of the time now.

Sage2050

Smash Cadet
I was really frustrating my C.Falcon playing friend today with my whistle cancels (i've gotten really good with them). i cancelled some UAir combos and his jaw dropped when i got out of his death knee.

Top Bottom