• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official white controller thread

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
yeah so let's discuss the white controllers

does anyone have laser turnaround problems with them ? i just got mine in the mail, and sometimes i can't turn around my laser, and sometimes it does it automatically when i don't want it to

is this because i have to break it in?

i think it's a pretty solid controller if this problem doesn't exist forever lol

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
White Controller

does anyone have laser turnaround problems with them ? i just got mine in the mail, and sometimes i can't turn around my laser, and sometimes it does it automatically when i don't want it to

i think it's a pretty solid controller if this problem doesn't exist forever lol
The shoulder buttons are poorly designed (well on mine at least). :(

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
The shoulder buttons are poorly designed (well on mine at least). :(
the shoulder buttons really don't matter because you can swap it out with another controller back

but the shoulder buttons on white controllers have issues because when you press on the back part of the triggers, it rubs against the back of the controller for some reason

i think that if you sand off some of the top part of the back of the controller back that holds the triggers, then they should function fine

i'm not willing to put that much work into it though, so i just swapped it with a black controller back

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
White controllers are fine, I just replaced the back with clear. Just needs to break in.

ArstNeio

Smash Apprentice
I propose that instead of putting "Official" in thread topics we put "(serious post)" instead.

Haven't encountered any problems... Sometimes I feel like different color controllers have different problems but I just discount that as a placebo effect and keep playing and it goes away.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
nah, the different controllers DO suffer different problems cuz of slight differences in their make.

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
I propose that instead of putting "Official" in thread topics we put "(serious post)" instead.

Haven't encountered any problems... Sometimes I feel like different color controllers have different problems but I just discount that as a placebo effect and keep playing and it goes away.
white controllers actually are different

ArstNeio

Smash Apprentice
Controller Color Differences (serious post)

How specifically besides the longer wire?

What are the specific problems that different colors would cause that different controllers of the same color wouldn't have?

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
How specifically besides the longer wire?

What are the specific problems that different colors would cause that different controllers of the same color wouldn't have?
on the new white controllers, the triggers aren't the same (if you open them up there are less parts to the triggers), the control and c stick are built differently, the buttons are more 'clicky', except for the start button, which is less clicky (i've verified this with two different white controllers)

these aren't really problems, just differences

as far as i know, there aren't really any differences between any other color of controller. the grips on the black ones are apparently smaller though

i wonder if the club nintendo controllers are different

Limeee

Smash Champion
i have a white controller that i use for brawl, but i can't use it for melee
so i use my old silver controller for melee

and i play fox lmao

:009:

BEES

Smash Lord
If you don't press the shoulder buttons diagonally downwards they're fine, and it seems like they're less stiff to begin with than they are on old gamecube controllers. The buttons themselves feel the same.

It looks like the analog and c sticks can't wear out like the old ones did, which is the main problem they had.

The Star King

Smash Hero
as far as i know, there aren't really any differences between any other color of controller. the grips on the black ones are apparently smaller though
Also the black controller's analog stick takes a fraction of a second longer to its neutral position, which makes them more difficult to short hop with when using characters such as Fox. I'm somewhat sure about thos but not 100%.

Pengie

Smash Lord
I don't really like the White controllers too much. Mine lasted me for about 4-5 months, while my first silver controller lasted me about a year. Hell, I just bought a new silver one because I'm sick of the white one.

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like the White controllers too much. Mine lasted me for about 4-5 months, while my first silver controller lasted me about a year. Hell, I just bought a new silver one because I'm sick of the white one.
what went wrong after 4-5 months?

Pengie

Smash Lord
The Control stick started acting weird. Sometimes while I'd be practicing my tech skill at home/screwing around it would make me waveshine in the opposite direction. It also made dash dancing feel really wierd. It never really ****ed up in tournament but I'd rather not play with a controller that could cause a random SD for no reason. Plus, I can't stand that long *** cord.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Definitely overall the best feeling controller and handling as well. The only problem I and friends have had is with the shoulder button, R in my case. Sometimes it sticks when pressed and it can be distracting. I love it though, 10ftcordftw.

BEES

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure they can still wear out and get looser, lol
The entire mechanism holding the analog stick is different. On the old controllers, the edges of the planetary gears that give it 360 degree movement wear out, until it starts dragging in any direction you press it and eventually gets stuck in a direction forever.

On the new controller it's a single spring holding it to a detachable plate. It's much simpler and all the breakable parts are replaceable and DIY fixable on their own, instead of being welded to the control board.

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
The entire mechanism holding the analog stick is different. On the old controllers, the edges of the planetary gears that give it 360 degree movement wear out, until it starts dragging in any direction you press it and eventually gets stuck in a direction forever.

On the new controller it's a single spring holding it to a detachable plate. It's much simpler and all the breakable parts are replaceable and DIY fixable on their own, instead of being welded to the control board.
**** !!!!!!!!!

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
I fixed the reverse laser problem on my controller by practicing moonwalking for awhile

i think moonwalking in general is bad for your control stick and makes it loose easily

i'm not sure though

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
if you play melee seriously, you would be able to notice the difference in white corded ones immediately.

i've used a first gen. silver for 5 1/2 years now(bought new), no problems...

plus the white cord looks ********, and the white they use on the controller is so lackluster.

i prefer silver/orange.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero

Can you take a picture of the control stick's mechanism? I'm very fascinated. :)

Tamoo

Smash Master

yes I had this exact problem!
Somtimes it wouldn't reverse the laser and sometimes it would revers without me wanting to. I basically had a white controller with a dodgy control stick and one controller with shoddy shoulder buttons and had to combine the two to make a good controller.

X1-12

Smash Champion
iirc, all the different controllers are slightly differently shaped so they will have different grips

Also I've allways used purple controllers, the only problem I've ever had is the control stick rubber splitting on the side after lots of use. I might get a new white controller and switch the top of the control sticks

4 Aces

Smash Ace
So....white controllers...did Nintendo remake these GC controllers or something, because I've never heard of them.

I bought a new silver controller on ebay, and that one is crappy - it's brandless. It's good for casual play or games like Harvest Moon, but it's horrible for Melee; control stick is nowhere near as sensitive, and the buttons feel weird.

Most of my old Nintendo controllers' control sticks are starting to wear and tear off, and one of the sticks are no longer aligned; it's center position is a little higher/lower than usual. If I flick up or quickly mash up and reset the stick on the player select screen, the hand keeps going for a good 1/2 second. And (good) wavedashes are no longer possible, because anything between full horizontal and a 45 degree angle is registered as an air dodge. :(

Does anyone know how to fix this? X+Y Start for x seconds doesn't seem to work. Do I need to take it apart?

iirc, all the different controllers are slightly differently shaped so they will have different grips

Also I've allways used purple controllers, the only problem I've ever had is the control stick rubber splitting on the side after lots of use. I might get a new white controller and switch the top of the control sticks
Same here. Except I'm having some stick sensitivity problems now too. On a silver wavebird (which is banned from tourneys anyway. lol)

Top Bottom