• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official White Controller Warning

Niko_K

Smash Master
Anyone see the Nintendo Official White GC controller for sale on Amazon? It's basically the only new boxed model available besides expensive ones found on ebay.

I've officially received my 2nd one for christmas and it has the same issue as the first. Being my only christmas gift I'm slightly disappointed.

Anyone else have their left shoulder getting stuck if they don't push it directly down? For instance if you push on the shoulder slightly away from the back of it and push down it simply is stuck?

Debating switching controllers for Melee and just wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue with these soon to be popularized controllers.

Landry

Smash Ace
I've never had that problem with my white controllers. It might be worth it for you to invest in a tri-wing screwdriver to take that puppy apart and fix it. I can't imagine its a big problem, likely just a small thing that's easy to correct.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
We bought two white controllers at my house, not sure from where but they are Nintendo brand and work fine. Seem a bit stticky at times but I think we were just used to using controllers that were totally worn out.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Off topic but related:

When I come back to Niagra I can give you my tri wing, unless you can find one within a shorter length of time. (Deal extreme takes two weeks or longer iirc).

Niko_K

Smash Master
So weird how both controllers for me have had this same issue yet no one else is experiencing it. No johns I swear to god haha

Nate when you're back in Niagara that'd be nice I wanna really see if theres anything causing it at all or if its just defected. Will you be back before the monthly?

It is a JP controller in case that makes a difference.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I couldn't believe it either. It was the only thing the fam could afford for christmas cause of the high price but I needed a new controller so bad /poverty

I'll try and make a video soon and hopefully we can identify whether other white controllers share this defect or if it's a single unit issue.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Sometimes you can manage to get a small flat screwdriver to take out the screws of the gc controller. it is a pain and it takes forever, but once you get the screws out, dremel the ******* so that you can use a flat screwdriver easily. ive done it for three gamecube controllers during my various surgeries to keep my controller alive.

NNID
dansalvato
I've had the stuck-L issue with a black controller of mine. If you push it toward the back then it does not press down, but instead sticks. I don't think it's specific to the whites.

that happens to ANY kind of controller, including the one ive used for years. i just mashed on the L button at an angle countless times until it stopped. and played mario party and **** lol

Niko_K

Smash Master
SW I've been mashing the L button at an angle forever it's hilarious you say that. I'm probably just gonna keep doing that until it fixes itself.

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
Dude I have this exact same problem as you (but R), white controller too....

I thought it was just me, because of the way I press R (in a diagonal direction - kind of down and towards the face of the controller), feels like something rubber has come loose inside or something

Anybody got any tips/links for how to fix this problem once the controller is taken apart?

Gea

Smash Master
Probably the solution is to microplane the plastic on the trigger, though I guess you could also grease it or use a combination of the two.

The plastic curves outwards slightly and it will make no difference in how the trigger feels as the spring is what regulates the tension, not friction between the controller.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The guts of my controller is and has been a white controller for 3 years. No issues here.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Mine is like that too (weird sticky L trigger). Hard to use it for Melee, but it's fine for every other Gamecube game.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Yes, I know what you are talking about. The solution is to take R or L buttons from a non-white controller and replace the R/L-buttons on the white one. Alternatively you can try sandpaper on the triggers

E: The issue is probably that when you are pressing the trigger on the back part of the button it gets stuck, that's what happened to me. It only happened on my R-trigger though so I replaced it

Furphy

Smash Rookie
We had a white controller with this issue. I opened it up and it looked like it was missing a metal part on each of the triggers (is this normal?). My solution was to switch the trigger with one from a broken controller.

In my opinion, the white JP controller's buttons feel stiff, and the best thing to do with them is to use the sticks and board from the white controller, and the buttons from your old controller (this is including the rubber membrane that dictates the feel of the buttons.)

Zodiac

Smash Master
no issues, the shoulder buttons on brand new white controllers are stiffer than the old ones but if you just where them in their fine.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Niko- all 3 white controllers I've had have this problem. It screws me up a lot and it's unbelievably frustrating. I'm always taking apart controllers and rearranging the parts, specifically the shoulder buttons. Sucks

:phone:

Niko_K

Smash Master
So crappy ahaha I'll probably end up trying to buy a brand new black/orange/purple one now despite the cost because I know it won't have this problem. I'll open it but I'm mechanically ******** lmao

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
my white controller had this problem as well. i ended up taking apart the controller and lubing the shoulders a bunch. hasn't been a problem since

Gea

Smash Master
So crappy ahaha I'll probably end up trying to buy a brand new black/orange/purple one now despite the cost because I know it won't have this problem. I'll open it but I'm mechanically ******** lmao
The Part you would need to modify is extremely easy to get to and remove. I wouldn't be too scared, just open it face down so the buttons don't fall out and take a picture or make a mental note about how the cord is tucked in at the top, that's the toughest part when getting it back together (that and leveling the switches that L/R use, but that's easy once you realize they need to be adjusted).

Just take out the plastic trigger part itself and remove some of the plastic however you see fit. It probably doesn't need a ton taken off to stop sticking, so it shouldn't take anything too special to get a good fit. Clean it of debris and put it back in. You may be able to even just sand it down.

Alternatively sell your white one to someone else in the community, or use the white shell with different internals if they match up.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
Yes! That white controller sucks! I'm not sure what exactly causes the trigger sticking to be so much worse than other controls...I even tried oiling it and shaving the plastic down. I just removed the black backing from my original 10 yr old controller. Waaay better.

Top Bottom