• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Devastlian

Smash Lord
If I were to go out on the street right now, and ask people what franchise deserves a character in Brawl, Zelda or Earthbound, the answers would go as follows:
"What the $@#% is Earthbound?"
"I don't know what the heck Earthbound is, but Zelda has some sweet characters!"
"I refuse to answer this question on the grounds of sounding ******** by asking you what Earthbound is."
[just as a side-note, if you go to Wikipedia.org, you'll find that the Fierce Deity article is about the same size as the article over Ness...kind of interesting how such a "side-character's" popularity can equal that of a main protagonist]
Yes, more people in the world would more likely know about Zelda than they would Earthbound. But, for Nintendo fans, for the people probably going to buy this game, a good number them played Earthbound when they were younger or have gone back and played it more recently somehow. To a lot of Nintendo and video game fans, Earthbound holds a place in gaming history just as much as, say Kid Icarus or Metroid does. With a game that relies as heavily on fanservice as SSB does, it can afford to focus on it's hardcore fans some instead of just the mainstream.
Also, the game itself wasn't even released until 1998 because of marketing issues, and when it was, it was done illegitimately by a fan-subbing group.
That's Earthbound Zero (AKA Mother, Earthbound/Mother 2's prequel, if you couldn't tell). You should pay more attention to the name at the top of the Wiki page.
Majora's Mask sold, over 300,000 copies the first WEEK of sales in Japan. That is a massive fanbase.
Which was matched by Earthbound's sequel, Mother 3, in it's first week. Because one week determines everything...Now this just pisses me off...You could've said MM sold 3 million copies worldwide compared to Mother 3's maybe 600,000 worldwide. But, instead you couldn't read a little bit further? You couldn't flip to what you're arguing about to see if it matched your statement? /sigh
Where Eartbound was popular in Japan way back when, Zelda was popular before it, during it, is popular now, and will be for years to come. Hopefully, that will drive you off the issue of popularity.
This isn't about popularity. SSB isn't completely Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. It's a tribute to why Nintendo fans love Nintendo. Earthbound was memorable game to a lot of people. Nostalgia is a huge factor in this game not just having characters that are on the covers to games you can go out to buy now.
And okay, I suppose it is very possible to make a character stronger. But how do you go about doing it now?
I don't know...By making him stronger, faster, heavier?
Ness ranked as one of the least popular Melee characters and was the MOST popular character in the original. I understand how you like Ness, but his popularity has subsided considerably.
This is mostly related to his performance in those games. There's a lot of people who play some characters because a bunch of dopes on some forum out there say they're better than the other characters. There's also plenty of people that wanna see Ness make a comeback.
Also, Sakurai even stated some characters in Melee wouldn't return. If I had to guess, he's not just talking about clones. I expect atleast 2-3 non-clone characters to be booted out.
Ya, but Mr. Sakurai likes older characters, as well. Picking characters from good, memorable games could take priority from just packing a ton of characters in from one of few games in the company's history that some random guy has played.
In any case, did you see any "Pit for Brawl" banners? No.
Well, no ****ing **** we didn't see any; he was announced with the name of the game. They didn't really give us much of a chance. There were a ton of people wanting Pit to be in SSBM but then...he wasn't. When SSB was announced for the Revolution when it was first shown people made lists of characters they wanted to see and Pit was still there.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
pit got in because of his popularity. thats a fact... people didn't have "pit for brawl" banners because noone even knew about SSBB until the first video when pit was confirmed... anyway, only nOOb's make decisions of who should return based on their performance in brawl... having bad performance in melee could auctually be considered a pro for a character to return in brawl, for then they can have the opportunity to show how good they can be.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Daymn right FiErCe! As for the Melee Top Tiers... I'm sure they will be nerfed as hell! Maybe we'll end up seeing Fox being Kirby-tier... Changes are huge that Sheik will be cutted, Marth's sword will probarly be shortened, maybe Peach and Falco will get a new moveset? Yep, I'm sure there will be drastic changes for them... As for new Top Tiers, DK FOR GOD TIER IN BRAWL! >:D Afterall, gorillas are good brawlers.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I'd rather they didn't nerf the Top tier characters and instead just buff up the lower tier characters. Granted they could be tweaked a little, but I don't want to see a repeat performance of Kirby, Ness and Pikachu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's something that cannot be done... See, if they buff the other characters the current Top Tiers will still end up being weaker in comprasation to the other characters...

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think they should have everyone the same tier level that way only people that can acutally use them to their abilities can use them the best. (kinda complicated to say, sorry)
There wasnt even tiers to begin with.No charecter is better,just more unique.A pichu could beat a fox.Bowser could beat link.It's about skill not tier.Or as i would say you have to be skadidilin' to win.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
If their performance does not judge who will return, then what does?! Popularity? If that was the case, Ness would still be tossed out.
1. Go to www.GameFAQs.com.
2. Search "EarthBound".
3. Go to the message board for the game.
4. Witness the 3-6 posts people make per day. The game is over ten years old, but it's still live and kicking.

There wasnt even tiers to begin with.No charecter is better,just more unique.A pichu could beat a fox.Bowser could beat link.It's about skill not tier.Or as i would say you have to be skadidilin' to win.
You clearly have no idea what a tier list is.

Wrath`

Smash Master
1. Go to www.GameFAQs.com.
2. Search "EarthBound".
3. Go to the message board for the game.
4. Witness the 3-6 posts people make per day. The game is over ten years old, but it's still live and kicking.

You clearly have no idea what a tier list is.
1. I know what tier lists are.I've seen them so many times
2.I think tier list are stupid,why i beat fox a suposed top tier player,with ness a low tier player.ANd it was my friend who ussaly beats me with fox when i play falco,gannon.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
Am I the only person that doesn't like this new guy with the Y.Link avatar? I'm surprised that Ispline or Rhyme haven't showed up to comment on the way this guy thinks yet. And just because YOU don't know about a series doesn't mean that the rest of the world doesn't know about it.

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
Don't worry MasterGary, nobody else likes him either.

I didn't know about Earthbound until SSB either, but that is only because I was young. And soon after that game came out, I discovered how awesome Earthbound was played it for many weeks afterward.
Stop saying Ness is going to be dropped because it's out the question!

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
1. I know what tier lists are.I've seen them so many times
2.I think tier list are stupid,why i beat fox a suposed top tier player,with ness a low tier player.ANd it was my friend who ussaly beats me with fox when i play falco,gannon.
So you think that the tier list says that Fox will win every single battle because he's on the top?

Yep. You have no idea what the tier list is.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
When will people learn? Just because some one picks a top tier doesn't mean that the other guy that picks a low tier will lose. I can beat my cousins that pick some one like fox with Mewtwo or Pichu. This doesn't mean that Mewtwo is a better character or better tier. It just means that I am better than my cousin.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
So you want Ness to leave because he... sucks? In that case, why don't we just remove everyone except for Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, and Peach?

Ness is an amazing character, and just because you think he sucks doesn't mean he should leave. Getting rid of him would really set off all of the EarthBound fans, and we'd lose an incredibly unique character if he left.

Same goes for Mewtwo.
Finally another guy with some sense and whatnot.

Page 151 is officially dedicated to tacos. Thank you guys, my dream has come true.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ness MAY leave, due to the fact that Lucas was supposedly going to replace ness, but seince mother 3 havent came out b4 melee, sakurai decided to let him stay [ness] (I dont know where I got this info, I heard it b4, can someone confirme this?) anyway Lucas may replace Ness, or maybe both will stay... we gotta wait and see...

MasterGary

Smash Ace
It's almost certain that Ness will return in Brawl. Who else will represent Earthbound/Mother? Even though i haven't played any of either games , it's apparent that they have a pretty good fan base, too good for them to take out Ness.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Lucas appeared in mother 3, and he became very popular, he can represent mother, I never said I prefer him over ness, its just thats its likely that ness may be replaced, wheter we like it or not, but maybe both will stay, I dont know im not making the game...

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I'll only be OK with Lucas replacing Ness if Mother 3 comes to America. I have absolutely no idea who the characters are in Mother or Mother 3, so I'd be kinda ticked if the Mother character with whom I'm most familiar is replaced.

Rash

Smash Ace
Ness should come back, no question. Why get rid of such a beloved character who's already been in the previous two Smash Brothers games? The only justification of Ness' removal would be if he were replaced by Lucas. And even then it would require that Mother 3 was released in the states, like GotACoolName said.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Kinda sucks the moly's ***** -.-

Well, I think All the characters are going to be EXCEPT game & watch. The reason is Wario is TOO similar to him :(

SpikedbyErdman

Smash Rookie
I hope they dont get rid of ganondorf or falco. But I think pichu can leave, well here is a qquestion. How many characters do you think it will even have. Could they add more than in SSBM?

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Why is there always an onslaught of newcommers (no pun in context) to this thread every so often? And all the same questions are asked/statements made.

To answer the guy above, it's almost certain that there will be more characters. The Wii discs can hold plenty more information, and generally sequels of fighting games expand on all aspects of their predecessors.

And to all of these newish people, PLEASE support your opinions with something substantial. Don't just go about saying, "I think pichu will leave." Why? Is it personal opinion or do you have some reason to believe Nintendo wont want Pichu in Brawl?

Lucas appeared in mother 3, and he became very popular, he can represent mother, I never said I prefer him over ness, its just thats its likely that ness may be replaced, wheter we like it or not, but maybe both will stay, I dont know im not making the game...
As for this little argument that's been going on, I wouldn't be surprised if both Lucas and Ness were in Brawl. Of course it would piss-off most of those already against the Marth/Roy relationship characters had in Melee (Roy added to advertise, Pichu added to promote 2nd Gen Pokemon). Come to think of it, those are the only two. It shows, though, that if Nintendo keeps this up, it's very possible that both Lucas and Ness will appear in Brawl.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'd be glad if everyone stayed, but hopefully only the clones get booted [as damage control].

Stryks

Smash Hero
and possibly shiek (I made my points in the will sheik return thread, I dont want to do them here) GaW may leave too, but im sure the clones, minus falco and ganondorf, will leave...

MartyTheBarb

Smash Rookie
Dammit, i cant find my place! I do have one thing to say though, a clone is still a clone, and luigi must die! Actually... no nevermind.

Wrath`

Smash Master
So you think that the tier list says that Fox will win every single battle because he's on the top?

Yep. You have no idea what the tier list is.
Ah no I do.They are based on how often they are used in tournys.
Thats why i think they are stupid.What do tournys have to do with how good a character is?someone could just suck with a character.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
tiers mean how much poteential a character has to be good.if you're using a top tier, you still can't play its best unless you have unlocked its potential.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah sure you can, but Fox has even better potentail... But being a higher tier doesn't means you will automatically win from a lower tier! There are many low tiers which have good matchups against higher tier characters... But higher tier characters have better matchups overall, thus are easier to win a tournament with.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I gotta agree with Linkster regarding to pizza & off topicness. Whew! You guys must have really been bored.
Always.

I blame Rhyme for all font problems and off-topicedness.
WTF!!?! I wasn't even here and got blamed for everything.

Alos: Rhyme, are those foods you like or dislike? (just wondering if I should send you a spiked meat shake or not...)
That's a list of edibles which I have a distaste for.

(ps3 costs like $1400).
That's uber crazy, I wouldn't buy PS3 here for $700.

You may not have but the huge cult fanbase, the tens of thousands of people petitioning for the sequel to be localized, and the hundreds of thousands of people in Japan that bought that sequel sure have.
Yes.

H3L105;2124611[I said:
][/I]ness is gay..........blah blah blah..........ness supporters don't know ****..........blah blah blah...............ness is undeserving............that's it[/quote]

Helios, it's obvious someone didn't do his homework. If you are not smart enough to realize the error of your ways then to bad so sad for you.

Finally another guy with some sense and whatnot.

Page 151 is officially dedicated to tacos. Thank you guys, my dream has come true.
Why is this your dream?

Ness MAY leave, due to the fact that Lucas was supposedly going to replace ness, but seince mother 3 havent came out b4 melee, sakurai decided to let him stay [ness] (I dont know where I got this info, I heard it b4, can someone confirme this?) anyway Lucas may replace Ness, or maybe both will stay... we gotta wait and see...
I hope this possibility does NOT become a reality. Ness stays. If Lucas want's to join than that's fine.

I'll only be OK with Lucas replacing Ness if Mother 3 comes to America. I have absolutely no idea who the characters are in Mother or Mother 3, so I'd be kinda ticked if the Mother character with whom I'm most familiar is replaced.
That's the ONLY way Ness leaving is acceptable.

Ah no I do.They are based on how often they are used in tournys.
Thats why i think they are stupid.What do tournys have to do with how good a character is?someone could just suck with a character.
Apperantly you don't.

Ness is considered low tier,yet i can do a lot of good stuff,showing of his poteintial.
That's not what it means.

[/meanness]

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
^meanness:= Hotness

I agree Oblivion's font is neigh impossible to read so I highlight it.
:(

Oblivion's more than Rhyme's

And I'm glad to hear tacos are a generally agreeable subject.

And no, I'm not banned. Yet.

Alos: Rhyme, are those foods you like or dislike? (just wondering if I should send you a spiked meat shake or not...)
:( :(
I also am very fond of tacos.

And I thought Rhyme's text was hard to read. >_<

WTF? o_o
:( :( :(
...........................................................teh....., ..........................................................................................................................................., :( ................................................................. Teh INIDIGO HATERZ!, Man You guys are like the 2 group of people that says my text is hard to read. I wanted to use purple but its taken, And no other colors matches with my signature.

Top Bottom