• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Wolf Metagame Discussion

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I don't care to contribute what knowledge I may have that is of use to a thread I don't believe in. To me this thread is just as pointless as all the other "metagame" clone threads out there.

Don't get me wrong, I hope something productive comes of it. Until then, I'm going to play devil's advocate, and when and if something does come of it, I will apologize.

I'm a cynical ***, but I'm not too full of myself to acknowledge others and admit when I'm wrong.

EDIT: Also, I already contributed a large part to the community over all, being the first one to point out and theorize a Wall of Pain-esque style with Wolf's bair.

Truth be told I didn't know if it would be successful or not, and I was prepared for that, but I see people using the term Wolf Wall or Wall of Wolf and see it in people's gameplay. I mean, it's an obvious strategy. How couldn't you above that range and low lag? Just saying I'm not entirely a leech.

You were the first to coin the phrase "Wolf-Wall", but that technique, as you said IS obvious. Marth has the same strategy with his forward air; should you get credit for that too? The only thing you've done is name it "wolf wall". I do admit you have contributed to the wolf community in the beginning, and we all appreciate it, but it seems to me that you've stopped trying. Now it seems ure just putting down people's effort to advance wolf's metagame which undercuts the respect you've earned from this community.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
You're getting kind of fiesty there, castorpollux.

Even though I pointed out the own fault in my reasoning, you felt the need to echo it back to me, antagonize me, and sarcastically abuse me for it? Now that's an example of being asinine.

And while we are at it, I might as well point out that it isn't obvious to everyone. On top of that, double fairing existed for Marth in Melee already, whereas Wolf didn't exist at all in Melee.

You're **** right I've stopped trying. At least as actively as I once did. Again, I felt I was under appreciated and over looked, so why I should I continue to work if that was going to happen over and over again?

I also already apologized for any "putting down" of the people that I may have already done, so no need to attack me for that.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Sorry about that. Let's not argue anymore. I didn't see your apology on the other thread at the time I wrote my last post. It was very noble of you.

Anyways, I just got offended because I was thinking of ways of implementing boost-smashing into wolf's game, and you dismissed it without giving a reason. I feel that it has a lot of potential and so do a lot of people.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
You're right. I apologize as well and I accept your apology. Debating is cool, constructive criticism is cool, but arguing is never cool.

Boost smashing does seem like it has its uses. I think next time I get the chance I'll actually master it as well as flash canceling and hugging because with Wolf it seems harder to do.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
dthrow to boost usmash at like 50% hits, but its dodgeable of course

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Yep, gonna have to work on learning that boost smash.

Well, I suppose now that I'm here I might as well involve myself.

Does Dairing as you're flying away from the stage actually slow down your momentum?

Yoshara

Smash Lord
My only problem with Boost-Smashing is using it in fights, 'cause I can use it (near) 100% of the time, but I can't get used to using it in fights.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Alright my fellow wolf players, this post is merely to show what we've come across and found, during our debats. The list will be comprized of: whats useful and is recommened to be used in your gameplay, what's not useful and shouldn't be used, and whats still being debated upon at this moment. Some topics can/will be under one or more categories do to the fact that the debate may not have settled yet.

They always said colors helped peopl learn lol.

Useful

Scarring
Semi-scarring
0 Lag Fair
Wall Of Wolf
Reflector
Controlled Laser Spam
RAR'ed Bair
F-tilt
Up-tilt
Nair(aerial assualt and grounded)
Boosted Upsmash
AAA combo
Up-smash in general
F-smash in general
D-smash in general
Over B recovery and spiking(on occasions)
Basic AT's in general
D-throw
B-throw
Dair in general
Camping(when necessary)
Up B recovery(still useful for the mix-up)

Not Useful

Up B attacking
Uair(unless juggling)
Flash Canceling
Infinite Jumping
F-smash spamming
U-throw
Regular Fair
Camping(when not needed)
D-tilt
Chainshining
Items(unless you like playing with them, or want to have fun)
Argueing(lol)
Captain Falcon's Manliness(Even more lols)

Still Debating Upon

Uair
Flash Canceling
Up B attacking
D-tilt
Infinite Jumping
Chainshining(mostly useless though)
Boost Smashing
Over B attacking
Dair in general
Why is Captian Sa10 so crazy lol?

Alright folks. If I've missed anything please refer to me that way I can update this thing. I'll try and do this more often after sometimes passed, and maybe you can do it to so that way I wont have to(YEAH ALRIGHT!!! Lol).

Also something else that needs to be discussed that I find useful:

How often do you use F-throw, and for what? I tend to use it at higher percentages off the edge since it can send your opponent in some weird angles like the D-throw. If anything, I use it on low percents two since it can be tech chased which I in joy doing with it. What is your opinion upon it though??

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
My only problem with Boost-Smashing is using it in fights, 'cause I can use it (near) 100% of the time, but I can't get used to using it in fights.
You'll get used to it with practice. It's like wavedashing. You're like, "How the hell do I use this in battle?" even though you can use it perfectly in practice. Actually, the same goes for any advanced technique. Just force yourself to use it even if it screws you over.

It'll lower your game at first, but improve it in the end.

I like to use the F-Throw at low percents as a kind of chaingrab to build up damage.
But Dthrow has more damage...
However, throws suffer from stale moves as well. If you use nothing but down throw it will become weak. However, reduced knockback will keep them closer. There are many pros and cons that I will go into later.

Alright my fellow wolf players, this post is merely to show what we've come across and found, during our debats. The list will be comprized of: whats useful and is recommened to be used in your gameplay, what's not useful and shouldn't be used, and whats still being debated upon at this moment. Some topics can/will be under one or more categories do to the fact that the debate may not have settled yet.

They always said colors helped peopl learn lol.

Useful

Scarring
Semi-scarring
0 Lag Fair
Wall Of Wolf
Reflector
Controlled Laser Spam
RAR'ed Bair
F-tilt
Up-tilt
Nair(aerial assualt and grounded)
Boosted Upsmash
AAA combo
Up-smash in general
F-smash in general
D-smash in general
Over B recovery and spiking(on occasions)
Basic AT's in general
D-throw
B-throw
Dair in general
Camping(when necessary)
Up B recovery(still useful for the mix-up)

Not Useful

Up B attacking
Uair(unless juggling)
Flash Canceling
Infinite Jumping
F-smash spamming
U-throw
Regular Fair
Camping(when not needed)
D-tilt
Chainshining
Items(unless you like playing with them, or want to have fun)
Argueing(lol)
Captain Falcon's Manliness(Even more lols)

Still Debating Upon

Uair
Flash Canceling
Up B attacking
D-tilt
Infinite Jumping
Chainshining(mostly useless though)
Boost Smashing
Over B attacking
Dair in general
Why is Captian Sa10 so crazy lol?

Alright folks. If I've missed anything please refer to me that way I can update this thing. I'll try and do this more often after sometimes passed, and maybe you can do it to so that way I wont have to(YEAH ALRIGHT!!! Lol).

Also something else that needs to be discussed that I find useful:

How often do you use F-throw, and for what? I tend to use it at higher percentages off the edge since it can send your opponent in some weird angles like the D-throw. If anything, I use it on low percents two since it can be tech chased which I in joy doing with it. What is your opinion upon it though??
Okay. I have a few points I disagree on or am just confused on, so prepare for posting games... long posting games.

-Scarring (though I call it tele-stepping) is dropping and using your Side B to seemingly "teleport" through the stage. What is semi-scarring?

-I still have mixed feelings about the use of the reflector. Anyone care to tell me WHY it should be used more than sparingly in combat?

-I find Up Tilt to be balls. It comes out quick but the ending lag is terrible. I'm not saying never use it, I just don't see why it is under "Useful" because I don't think it should be used consistently. Why is it so good?

-Nair is awesome... sometimes. A lot of the times it doesn't even stun your opponent, which I still understand. This can really screw you over.

-Jabs are great. However, I noticed watching some videos, that even though you're jabbing your jab is still getting sidestepped or shielded. This shouldn't happen. If you don't hit with the first or second jab, hit down on the control stick as Wolf pulls his arm back after the second jab, this will reset the combo and if you hit A again you will do the first jab again rather than the laggy ending jab. This will often times break through shielded jabs, as for sidestepped jabs either be patient and careful, or hold down the A button. Don't ever hit it rapidly unless you've actually contacted the person.

Also, I've found that you can jab to dsmash and it seems like you can jab > jab > fsmash

-I think Fthrow is useful as well

-I also think it is flat out absurd to have Uair under not useful, but up tilt under useful. That's insane. Uair is great.

-I also think flash cancelling is useful. It allows you to fly a greater horizontal distance and I believe you have less lag upon landing. It is really necessary for trying to throw your opponent off the scent of Wolf's easily perdictable and punishable recovery.

-I don't see why Back throw is good but Up throw is not. Someone care to explain?

-Fair is good still if you don't zero lag cancel it. I'm talking about landing and incurring the landing lag (which is terrible) I'm talking about using it in the air. I know someone is gonna tell me, "Well that's self-explanatory," or something like that, but then we should be calling EVERY aerial we do zero lag cancel if you don't incur the landing lag. That'd be silly.

-Down tilt is awesome. I mean, it isn't the best move, but I like it a lot. Plus, it trips sometimes.

As far as forward throw this is what I HIGHLY recommend

Down throw is better at lower percents. Why? You can ftilt, jab, fsmash, as well as many other things out of it, as well as start a chain with a RAR'd Bair.

Forward throw is better at middle percent. Why? This not only is a generally good throw and can set up for some awesome stuff, it also recovers your down throw from stale moves, increasing its damage and knockback. This is VITAL. Throws suffer from stale moves as well.

Down throw is better at higher percents. Why? You should have full knockback and damage on this throw now that their percentage is high. Down throw can lead them to teching which can be EASILY punished. You better hope they tech it. Not only that, but down throw near the edge can easily lead to spikes or flat out death.

That's my two cents.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I'll try and enlighten you Kash since you 've been gone. I'll just post the answers within your post.

You'll get used to it with practice. It's like wavedashing. You're like, "How the hell do I use this in battle?" even though you can use it perfectly in practice. Actually, the same goes for any advanced technique. Just force yourself to use it even if it screws you over.

It'll lower your game at first, but improve it in the end.

However, throws suffer from stale moves as well. If you use nothing but down throw it will become weak. However, reduced knockback will keep them closer. There are many pros and cons that I will go into later.

Okay. I have a few points I disagree on or am just confused on, so prepare for posting games... long posting games.

-Scarring (though I call it tele-stepping) is dropping and using your Side B to seemingly "teleport" through the stage. What is semi-scarring?

Semi scarring is basicaly the ability to scar pretty much any stage by holding down when you over B. Can be extremely useful as wolf can arrive at any point of the edge and be sure surely granted a spot on it.

-I still have mixed feelings about the use of the reflector. Anyone care to tell me WHY it should be used more than sparingly in combat?

We've all mostly just stated that using the reflector as much as possible is simple to counter attacks with because of frames within the reflector allowing inviciblity giving of the reflector to have a "counter" in a since and can be used to intercept aerials or reject your oponents juggling potential. It be sheidled, but generally if you follow up behind it with a good -dsmash or Up-smash it wont matter.

-I find Up Tilt to be balls. It comes out quick but the ending lag is terrible. I'm not saying never use it, I just don't see why it is under "Useful" because I don't think it should be used consistently. Why is it so good?

Well, the reason why Up-tilt is so good is that it can combo immediately from a 0 lag fair at low percents, then allowing you to possibly chain a few because of the low knockback. IT really just depends on weither or not you choose to use the move since it's more on a matter of preference then anything, it's just recommended to use when mixing-up your gameplay. It can also chain it into an up-smash at low percents too.

-Nair is awesome... sometimes. A lot of the times it doesn't even stun your opponent, which I still understand. This can really screw you over.

Well Nair in general despite the stun frames is still a good move, you just have to execute it earlier before you attack the opponent. IT's also a good aerial intercepter, can be combo'ed into a variety of things. And also because of the nature of wolf's nair doesn't have beginning stun frames, players still tend to think their stunned while in truth they arent, and that generally sets up an opening.

-Jabs are great. However, I noticed watching some videos, that even though you're jabbing your jab is still getting sidestepped or shielded. This shouldn't happen. If you don't hit with the first or second jab, hit down on the control stick as Wolf pulls his arm back after the second jab, this will reset the combo and if you hit A again you will do the first jab again rather than the laggy ending jab. This will often times break through shielded jabs, as for sidestepped jabs either be patient and careful, or hold down the A button. Don't ever hit it rapidly unless you've actually contacted the person.

Wells thats true in general.

Also, I've found that you can jab to dsmash and it seems like you can jab > jab > fsmash

-I think Fthrow is useful as well

-I also think it is flat out absurd to have Uair under not useful, but up tilt under useful. That's insane. Uair is great.

It's also under the "Still being Debated" category since very few people like you, me, and Kosk, and pro's, and other people that know about the usefulness of up Uair other then for juggling. Which I have found other uses for it like Shorthop Fast Falling into them Uair automatically allows for a instant juggle even at 0%, and im probably going to have to switch Uair to Useful, but as of know, not to many comments have been made about it.

-I also think flash cancelling is useful. It allows you to fly a greater horizontal distance and I believe you have less lag upon landing. It is really necessary for trying to throw your opponent off the scent of Wolf's easily perdictable and punishable recovery.

Well other then that we already know, it's just that since it's canceled in three different spots, it's still under debt and probably will be for awhile which it already has been, that if you wish to achieve the same outcome(such as the really long when that sends wolf flying) over and over, how consistent can it be, and the dificulity behind the timing of that specific cancel. Frame Data can drastically help this debate but as of know, all we know is that flash cancelling can be used as a recovery, but weither not it'll produce the right cancel is what bothers us.

-I don't see why Back throw is good but Up throw is not. Someone care to explain?

This may seem kind of vague but would you care to explain why it should be used, that way it may be considered useful.

-Fair is good still if you don't zero lag cancel it. I'm talking about landing and incurring the landing lag (which is terrible) I'm talking about using it in the air. I know someone is gonna tell me, "Well that's self-explanatory," or something like that, but then we should be calling EVERY aerial we do zero lag cancel if you don't incur the landing lag. That'd be silly.

lol, true.

-Down tilt is awesome. I mean, it isn't the best move, but I like it a lot. Plus, it trips sometimes.

Well it's really still under debate, but as of know D-tilt is probably going to begin showing in the usefulness category since alot of players are realizing the edgegaurding, and other abilities it has.

As far as forward throw this is what I HIGHLY recommend

Down throw is better at lower percents. Why? You can ftilt, jab, fsmash, as well as many other things out of it, as well as start a chain with a RAR'd Bair.

Forward throw is better at middle percent. Why? This not only is a generally good throw and can set up for some awesome stuff, it also recovers your down throw from stale moves, increasing its damage and knockback. This is VITAL. Throws suffer from stale moves as well.

Down throw is better at higher percents. Why? You should have full knockback and damage on this throw now that their percentage is high. Down throw can lead them to teching which can be EASILY punished. You better hope they tech it. Not only that, but down throw near the edge can easily lead to spikes or flat out death.

That's my two cents.
And I hopefully I helped you out, all I know is that i've only had 4 hours of sleep so if anything is confusing to you, just pm me or something, and I'll try not to fall asleep.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
I've actually been finding Fthrow more useful than Dthrow lately, it has a trajectory that makes Bair edgeguarding work well and at mid range percents sets up for a safe spike. I've also noticed that Dtilt is a great spike setup move.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I've been Fthrowing more often as well. Unlike the Dthrow, it throws them off their feet, so they can't tech it. It's guaranteed to throw them in front of you and get them out of your face. It's good to mix up your Dthrow and Fthrow to confuse your opponent and control their positioning.

Dtilt is great. It comes out very fast and has very little lag. Seems safer than Fair and AAA.

Uair is ok. It doesn't have the most power or priority, but it's seems good for pressuring angles that Bair or Fair can't hit. And yes, fastfalling it launches nicely at low percents, but requires late execution, which can be risky.

Dair is a decent spike, so it has a use. But onstage i'm not sure. Full jump fast fall Dair autocancels, this may or may not be useful. If it isn't teched, it can lead to a number of different followups.

I messed around with Nair a bit last night, it seems like it has a semi-laser lock property against an enemy that fails to ground tech. This is probably useless, but it looks like you can at least combo from a single Nair. What do you guys think?

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I've been Fthrowing more often as well. Unlike the Dthrow, it throws them off their feet, so they can't tech it. It's guaranteed to throw them in front of you and get them out of your face. It's good to mix up your Dthrow and Fthrow to confuse your opponent and control their positioning.

Dtilt is great. It comes out very fast and has very little lag. Seems safer than Fair and AAA.

Uair is ok. It doesn't have the most power or priority, but it's seems good for pressuring angles that Bair or Fair can't hit. And yes, fastfalling it launches nicely at low percents, but requires late execution, which can be risky.

Dair is a decent spike, so it has a use. But onstage i'm not sure. Full jump fast fall Dair autocancels, this may or may not be useful. If it isn't teched, it can lead to a number of different followups.

I messed around with Nair a bit last night, it seems like it has a semi-laser lock property against an enemy that fails to ground tech. This is probably useless, but it looks like you can at least combo from a single Nair. What do you guys think?
I didnt know Nair had that type of property. Im going to have to try tha out. BTW if you guys ever want some spacing while grounded, D-tilt can be used as an alternative since it covers around the same distance as f-tilt.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I didnt know Nair had that type of property. Im going to have to try tha out. BTW if you guys ever want some spacing while grounded, D-tilt can be used as an alternative since it covers around the same distance as f-tilt.
Yeah against a grounded enemy some of the nair hits will kinda bounce them across the ground instead of waking them up. I can only get this to work against a practice dummy though, so this isn't useful. Interesting property though.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Yea I tried it out, and I saw where it did sort of laser-lock the CPU, but its definitely not useful in gameplay, although still cool, and maybe it will be useful later on.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Well, I was playing around with Wolf's Dthrow and noticed that it has the ability to gimp Snake and Yoshi at early percents (other as well, but I don't have the full list yet). I posted a bit in tactical discussion, and I'll just copy and paste what I posted there here instead of making a new topic:

"Basically, this is a simple post researching the gimping effects of Wolf's down throw. As most Wolf players know, the Down throw is a unique move that has a very tiny bit of horizontal knockback, almost insignificant, but it allow downward horizontal kills at 120% or so. However, whenever a Wolf is playing a Yoshi or a Snake, it can be very important at low percents, and here's how:

As we all know, Snake's recovery is ruinable by grabbing the cypher and watching him fall to his doom and Yoshi can be footstool jumped to oblivion. This can be done with any character. What's important here is that Wolf's Down Throw places them into perfect range for this to happen. Let's pretend you grab a Snake and throw him down at 0% and Dthrow, as he jumps back, do the same thing. Now he's unable to just grab the ledge and must cypher. Now you perform a simple Cyphergrab kill. Done properly at 0%, he should die at 24. Make sure when you're doing this to have their feet off the edge for maximum effect.

Yoshi's story is the same thing (Get it, Yoshi's story? No? ). The timing is harder though. You grab and throw down, then just jump on his head and since he has no up B can't recover.

Thing is though, I can't call this 100% foolproof or anything and I won't get to play locally today, which is why I'm asking you guys to be able to provide input, does this work for you as well? I think DeDeDe has similar properties due to his range on FD's edge, but I haven't tried it out.

Thanks for reading."

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was playing around with Wolf's Dthrow and noticed that it has the ability to gimp Snake and Yoshi at early percents (other as well, but I don't have the full list yet). I posted a bit in tactical discussion, and I'll just copy and paste what I posted there here instead of making a new topic:

"Basically, this is a simple post researching the gimping effects of Wolf's down throw. As most Wolf players know, the Down throw is a unique move that has a very tiny bit of horizontal knockback, almost insignificant, but it allow downward horizontal kills at 120% or so. However, whenever a Wolf is playing a Yoshi or a Snake, it can be very important at low percents, and here's how:

As we all know, Snake's recovery is ruinable by grabbing the cypher and watching him fall to his doom and Yoshi can be footstool jumped to oblivion. This can be done with any character. What's important here is that Wolf's Down Throw places them into perfect range for this to happen. Let's pretend you grab a Snake and throw him down at 0% and Dthrow, as he jumps back, do the same thing. Now he's unable to just grab the ledge and must cypher. Now you perform a simple Cyphergrab kill. Done properly at 0%, he should die at 24. Make sure when you're doing this to have their feet off the edge for maximum effect.

Yoshi's story is the same thing (Get it, Yoshi's story? No? ). The timing is harder though. You grab and throw down, then just jump on his head and since he has no up B can't recover.

Thing is though, I can't call this 100% foolproof or anything and I won't get to play locally today, which is why I'm asking you guys to be able to provide input, does this work for you as well? I think DeDeDe has similar properties due to his range on FD's edge, but I haven't tried it out.

Thanks for reading."
Wow, very nice explanation of the usage of the D-throw, I mean really good. That should be put into the guide under examples of the effectiveness of D-throw.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, nobody quote the troll please. They don't deserve that much time out of your day.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think the metagame of wolf will change much.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I think Wolf's metagame will evolve over time to having a hidden agenda the entire time during the match, that while you're pulling off amazing sh*t and getting hits off, that you're really trying to land a low-mid% forward B off for an early kill.

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
I think Wolf's metagame will evolve over time to having a hidden agenda the entire time during the match, that while you're pulling off amazing sh*t and getting hits off, that you're really trying to land a low-mid% forward B off for an early kill.
forward b can actually get surprisingly low percent kills, the only problem is that it gets stale super fast once your own percent starts to go up because it's the prefered method of returning to the stage. when i can, i almost always use up b, because i have actually gotten kills a couple times with wolf flash, and it makes me smile every time.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I read your signature, Juggalo... and anything else that I may have been thinking about just went away.
I love having that effect on people :p

My friends get the same way when they come over lol, but not from reading my signature.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I read your signature, Juggalo... and anything else that I may have been thinking about just went away.
...I find it quite scary...

Actually, I'm not sure about that. I mean, it's AWESOME when you KO someone at 70% with a Flash (I've actually suicide-spiked people with it. XD), but since it's Wolf's better way of recovering, it gets weakened quite a bit most of the time.

But Wolf does have three ways to get a WF: B-Air, Back Throw, and his Standard A combo. You can do it in the 30-60% range I think, so maybe you're right, Juggalo.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
0 lag fair is now my favorite attack, instead of bair. It has better priority than bair, you can poke with it and DI several character lengths away before you touch the ground, and do whatever you want when you land. It's extremely difficult to punish and sets up a juggle when it lands. I will still Bair, but it will take a backseat.

I'm gonna try focusing my playstyle more around Fair, along with Dtilt and Blaster, trying to play as safe (gay) as possible, because people have adapted to the ultra aggressive playstyle that top Wolf's have been using. I'll have an oppurtunity to try this out in tourney on saturday.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Well, for the first stock then, you should keep a hidden agenda for a possible Forward B kill early in the match.

That seem a bit more realistic?

And I've never heard someone call my signature scary :p

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Wolf counters meta so much. I will defianetly start playing as wolf just to counter MK.

Top Bottom