• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "WTF? Why R.O.B???" Thread *debate welcomed*

Zihark

Smash Rookie
Ridley: And Ganondorf is light-hearted?

Balloon Fighter: Sakurai thought he was feasible, since he was in the beta. Also: B = Flipper Spin, Smash B = Electric Ball, Up B = Balloon Pop, Down B = Balloon Blast, Final Smash = Fish (if the Fish weren't in IC's level).

Animal Crosser: Sakurai deemed the character to be not fighty enough to get in, but a character really shouldn't be excluded for not being a fighter (read: G&W, ROB).

Vaati: So logically, Ness shouldn't be in because Lucas is already the good Mother rep?

Black Shadow: They could've given him Ganondorf's moveset and made Ganondorf an original character.

Isaac: GS is a Nintendo license.

Bowser Jr.: Um, no? Toon Link was built off of Young Link, there's no clone for Jr. to be built off from. On top of that, being a clone would be silly, since he has his Paintrbush as a primary weapon.

Little Mac: He shouldn't have been an AT.
Ridley I can't really explain, i just think he don't fit into brawl at all for some reason, I just can't see him as a PC because, well he just dosn't fit as one. And yes, I love the metroid series, so it's nothing like that, i really want more metroid reps, but can't see any fitting that's enough of a "main character" to be taken in

I really can't see why baloon fighter is more "deserving" then ROB in the first place anyway, even if he actually could make it into a character I personally don't find him important or unique enough. Just a guy with a few baloon's

Unlike animal crossing characters, mr. game and watch can be made into a character since he uses different moves from game & watch games exclusivly, and ROB is basiclly a robot so it's not that hard to make moves for him.

True enough, but that would be a clone anyway, and ganondorf woudn't and didn't get a new moveset, we all knew it in our hearts (read myself at least) but hoped he would get an own, but easier to use what it have been in the previous game and in that case we would only end up with the same dilema we have at the star fox chars right now and people would be equally pissed of.

Vaati isn't a very big character to start with, he have starred in two zelda game which of one is just a spin off, sure he could be included, but that would bring the total number of zelda frachise way out of hand In my opinion. And the differance is that zelda already have 4 chars while mother only got two, bringing a fith is uncessesary, that's the main point. The ganondorf thing is a secondary really. (and yes, I think that the pokémon reps are waay to many in case you wonder)

Got nothing to say about that since then he very well could include him in that case - he might feel that we already have enough "swordy" characters with link, toon link, meta knight, marth, ike (and possibly ganondorf, havn't reasearched enough to know if he uses his sword at all) in that case? What do i know?

Bowser jr. Is basiclly a "young" bowser, his kid. If he got included by a very high chance he would be a clone, though it's not for certain, but im pretty posetive that he would be.

And I can't see why Little mac should be a playable character still.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
ignore this... the site crashed repeatly so i got frustrated and managed to do double post

1. He would fit perfectly.

2. He has a history with SSB.

3. Animal Crosser can use tools to attack.

4. Black Shadow using the old Gdorf moveset and Ganondorf getting a new one is a better prospect than ROB.

5. Three Zeldas. One main Zelda, one Zelda that had just as much put into it as most any other 2D Zelda, and a highly notable and well-known Zelda (thanks to its multi-player).

6. He also uses magic.

7. That's terrible logic. Bowser Jr. doesn't have similar abilities to Bowser at all.

antimatter

Smash Lord
hey snitch, i thought you didnt care who was in the roster.
but seriously, folks, rob over ridley? my mother, who cares nothing about video games in general, saw ridley, and said about the dragon not making it in: "was brawl's creator smoking a crack pipe?" when someone who thinks video games are a waste of time thinks someone is an obvious choice, you know someone screwed up big time.

the master of legends

Smash Cadet
F@#$ ROB and f#@$ sakurai. I know you're all pissed because I said that, but soooo many other characters deserve to be in there than him. And if this is to be the last smash game and we get stuck with ROB and not some of the other great characters like Mega Man, or Geno, or any of the other greats then sakurai f@#$ed up.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
1. Your opinion. Many may agree with you, but in the end it's a matter of opinion, even as the metroid fan I am, I just don't think ridley would fit.

2. A trophy and that's about it, that's very vauge "reason" to take a character, then we might aswell take a custom robo or any other character that was a trophy in melee over him

3. Animal crossers just dosn't fit as a fighting character really, they could use tools or whatever, but dosn't change the fact that they don't fit in at all

4. That might be true, but as we all know, ganon will use his old moveset but modified slightly, which is just easier for sakurai to do then create a whole new ganon from the start and using his old moveset for a new character really woudn't justify him at all in my opinion.

5. Regardless of the case, then we might aswell put in impa since she have had a aperance in one or another form in almost all zelda's, but she just isn't a big enough face to be put in, and the same goes for vaati. And I still feel zelda got enough reps in the game as it is.

6. True enough, but in the end implanting Isaac would mean that he prolly would use his magic for Smash attacks and his sword for standard moves, and we would end up with another sword character anyway, to insert isaac without a sword is just like inserting a link without a sword. With other words stupid.

7. And ganondorf got similar abilities to captain falcon you mean? And yet he got cloned, so it seems very logical to clone him, even if their abilities ins't much the same. Maybe change a few of his moves and "luigify" him, but in the end he would be a clone and im still posetive of it.

edit: also, don't forget WHY ROB was putted in. He was putted in to represent nintendo's past and for his importance of nintendo's and video gaming's history, none of the other characters would be able to represent that, not even baloon fighter since the game is a relative small title. The same as game&watch was for SSBM

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I used to hate ROB, but I really have to admit he's got some pretty great retro value. Just like G&W.

Just like G&W, he'll be a unique and quirky character. We just have to try him out sometime.

No, I'm not going to main ROB. Heck, I'm using everyone, but I'm maining Mario, Pit, and G&W, and taking Ike, Link, and Bowser as secondaries

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
of all the characters they could have added, why ROB? seriously,

no Dark Samus (Mother gets 2 reps in Lucas and Ness, but Metroid gets just one):confused:
no Ridley (hes a boss, oooooh)
no Mewtwo (pretty much replaced by Lucario)
no Roy (at least we get Marth)
no Krystal (Wolf at least)
no Bowser jr/Shadow Mario
no Megaman (come on, how could he not get in?)
no Black Shadow
no K. Rool

im not disappointed by the full 35 character roster, but it could have been so much better.

ROB isnt even a character, hes a piece of hardware that was simply made into a character by games like Mario Kart DS. thats like adding the Power Glove or composite cables as a character. waste of a character in my opinion.

1. Your reasoning for excluding Ridley applies to Ganondorf.

2. He was mentioned as being a potential PC for Melee. That's why he's a high ranker for many people (before he was deconfirmed).

3. Vaati was the most important character in three games alongside Link and Zelda. Being the Ganon of three different games doesn't equal "being an Impa" (who has never been more than a semi-major character in any game).

4. To say that every sword user is the same also says that every magic user is the same.

5. A poor decision on Sakurai's part does not validate another poor decision.

6. Balloon Fighter has had two games, both of which were more successful than Gyromite and Stack-Up. He's also had several versions of the original game released.

7. Sheriff is the first video game character Nintendo ever made, he's a much more deserving choice than ROB.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Honestly R.O.B. looks like an interesting character, but I wouldn't have minded him if other interesting characters joined first (Ridley, Isaac, Geno, Krystal, etc. etc.). Also of all the retro characters why him? I would've sooner prefered someone like the Balloon Fighter, Takamaru or Sukapon, this in my opinion of course.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ROB is one of the most important parts of Nintendo's history. And to top it off, he's a unique character. I was hoping for a playable character that didn't have a humanoid body form. I was happy with Ivysaur, and I'm even more ecstatic about ROB.

If you don't like him that's fine, but you have to respect him and you have to respect the reason Sakurai put him in the game. Nintendo might not be around today if it wasn't for him.
If you think ROB has played an important role in Nintendo's history then you are tool... He was used as a gimmick to try to make the NES sell and, you know what, no body cared because Super Mario Bros was 1000 times better then Gyromite. End of discussion.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
1. No it does not. I can image seeing ganon in SSBB because he's a different character, for one he is a humanoid and not some giant monster (well he can turn into one, but that's not the point) and I just don't think Ridley fits lot better as a boss, that's about it. It's a matter of opinion and apperently Sakurai agreed with me.

2&6. Baloon fighter got a boring design so I don't find him a intresting choice, and on the matter of popularity and once again, he cannot represent nintendo's past as ROB can, and as a matter of fact, ROB starred as a Pc in mario kart DS and as a boss wario ware touched

3. On the other hand, he's not as well known as impa that have starred in total of 6 games (not appearing in-game in orginal zelda though, only in the manual) and in the cartoon. and is more important from a history stand point for zelda aswell as beeing a reaccuring character. But once again, my main reasoining is that zelda already got enough reps from their series.

4. Don't put words in my mouth, I never said all sword characters is the same, but putting in too many would be uncessary might have been Sakurai's watch point, or just didn't think golden sun represent nintendo really. And if that's it I have to agree.
Since I find Isaac and golden sun character more the kin of a third party character even if it isn't since nintendo had almost nothing to do with the game expect publishing and licensing it, the game itself was created by Camelot (note these reasonings is speculation alone).

5. It might not do, but it most likley would turn out like that, thus it would be uncessary to input him over a orginal character like ROB

7. You seriously think that a guy that have starred in ONE game (not counting the remake) that wasn't even popular that's composed of almost no pixels at all that is just a generic sheriff is more deserving then a orginal character like ROB that practically saved the future for gaming in america and europe? Now it really feels like your grasping straws. Edit: oh, and for the matter, Sheriff wasn't even developed by nintendo but by Ikegami Tsushinki. Nintendo only published, making him not even a nintendo orginal character

Zihark

Smash Rookie
And once again, he was not put in mainly for selling as many belive (his sales was already low in japan). ROB was created as a gimmick as you said to give video gaming a new face to make the stores actually take in the NES at all in america and europe. After the video game crash in the 1983, everyone refused to even take in video games at all due to the poor sales recently that's the end of the discussion

In a hurry, so I'll point out that the supposed developer of Sheriff is also listed as having made Donkey Kong. It's an understandable mistake. They didn't make the game, they made the arcade unit for the game.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
@ MysticJon:
Actually, ROB is a character in two games, a racer in Mario kart DS and a boss in wario ware touched!

Can't bother to reply why the others character was excluded and ROB was included since I think i have eleborated my answer good enough in my other posts.

@A Link to the Snitch:

Then I admit that I did a error, however, even if he was, he's just a sheriff, that's about it, and they got almost nothing to base the character model from (you really can't tell me they are supposed to base him from the orginal game since it's basicly a few pixles meshed togheter) and the character would be very un-orginal.

Anyway, I think it's kinda pointless to continue this discussion since we obviously have different views on what a good character is and this will just go around and around so let's stop it here. And nothing we say will make the rooster change anyway, so let's leave it here. Peace

Zihark

Smash Rookie
the differance beeing that game&watch actually got a original moveset based on his moves from his various games. What can they give Sheriff possibly that's remotly from his games? Unlike him, ROB gives Sakurai open arms to make orginal moves for one and is a much more unique character then a humanoid or/and a very ugly pixled sheriff will ever be. Also, G&W at least looks like something human and is not a mesh of ugly pixles, that goes for his orginal games and his SSB apperance

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
hes not really even much of a unique character. hes a robot that shoots lasers and missiles and can probably fly to some extent. maybe unique to SSB, but not unique in general.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Who actually sat around playing Melee one day thinking "Hm... Brawl comes out in March. I sure hope R.O.B. is a playable be character. That would be that sweet hottness!"

Let's be serious.... :/

Screw the uber cool that which is the idea of playing as Ridely....

Forget the idea of having a unique fighter as the staff swinging Crystal...

Who cares about playing as a SAMURIA!!!!!1111!!11 from a classic NES game...

And who'd want to play as Lucas' brother? I mean, come on, he HE HAS A FREAK'N BEAM SWORD FOR CHRIST SAKES!

Nope, appearently the fans wanted R.O.B.

:/

I wasn't one of them...

Also, HOW IN THE WORLD IS R.O.B. "IMPORTANT" TO NINTENDO'S HISTORY!?

How many of you are going to be COMPLETELY HONEST with yourself and tell me that ROB was of value to the NES? Who!? It was useless. It did nothing but STACK FREAK'N DISK!? Oh yeah, it pressed buttons, too... :/

HOW THE HELL IS IT IMPORTANT TO NINTENDO'S HISTORY WHEN YOU COULD ONLLY USE IT FOR TWO, that's right, TWO FREAKING STUPID GAMES!

I'll admit it. I played Stack-Up and I played Gyromite. If you people haven't, consider yourself lucky...

Point being, his games sucked, the freaking light gun and Duck Hunt was 10 X more fun on NES then he and his games were, he sucked in Mario Kart DS, and anyone who isn't even in the SLIGHTEST disappointed that there favorite lesser known character was scratched because of R.O.B is living in self denial.

Sides, Game&Watch games were actually decent and the reason why we had Game Boy. And we all know what that lead to. MARIO is the reason we had NES, let alone, Games period in case someone tries to lie and say it's ROB.

Characters that would represented Nintendo's Past/ The NES 10 - 100 X better:
Mach Rider
Balloon Fighter
Ninten (Though he looks a lot like Nes)
Lolo
Stan from Donkey Kong 3
Mike Jones from Star Tropic (Not the crappy rapper)
Wrecking Crew Mario
The Urban Champion Dudes
Alex and Ryan of River City Ransom (BUT ROB BEAT THEM!? They were the Cody and Guy before Capcom robbed the idea)
Takamaru (Stupid robot < Cool Samurai)
Sukapun
Tamagon From Devil World
The Dog from Duck Hunt
Hogan from Hogan's Alley

Basicly, anyone would be a better idea then ROB. But I guess that's just me. Like I said, I had one, hated it, and let it collect dust in my closet while I played GOOD representations of Nintendo's past.

*End P.O.'ed rant of the day*

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
If ROB didn't exist, NES would never have come out in America.
This is absolutely true.

Video games were dead in America, though thriving in Japan. In order to make the purchase palpable, NoA packaged the NES with R.O.B. and a keyboard (Which I still have!!!) to go with the whole computer/multifaceted entertainment with games as an aside. Then the kids my age and a little older got to it, and started playing the hell out of Mario, and thus we are here today.

Besides personal experience, this claim is backed up by many respectable resources in regards to the video game industry.

Spirithawk

Smash Apprentice
OK, I haven't posted on this sight for quite some time, but it seems like this is a pretty big hot button issue. So let me give my 2 cents worth.

First of all, let me just say, if you don't like a character, there's frankly no need to get vulgar, even if you are understandably upset. Keep in mind, massive amounts of effort was put into this game, and everything is there for a reason. Don't hate Sakurai out of childish selfishness.

With that said, let me explain why R.O.B is in fact an important figure in Nintendo's history. Prior to the North American release of the NES in 1985, the home console market in the the US was virtually non-existent after the Atari flop, along with other little known consoles. Nobody wanted to open that can of worms for fear of massive profit loss. After the success of the 1983 Japanese release of the system, known there as the Famicom, Nintendo decided to take the risk, as we all know. However, they needed the support of an American company (can't remember the name) for marketing and manufacturing purposes.

The only way to get the Americans on board was to present a cheap way to test its potential as a successful product. The plan was to test the product on a smaller, regional market: New York City. When the NES was first placed on shelves, it was only advertised and sold in NYC. However, the manufactures did not feel that that was enough, since there was still the problem of getting the NY'ers to buy the console. Even on the smaller scale, no one in the US was buying consoles. They needed something else. A gimmick of sorts to get NY'ers to buy the system.

R.O.B.

Ah, the moment we've all been waiting for. Already a peripheral in Japan, no new design was needed, and it already had mass production, so it was cheap. But so what? The American manufacturers felt that just selling the system buy itself would not work, so R.O.B initially came with the system. So not only do people see console, they also see this funky little robot. Without R.O.B. in the deal, there is a good chance the NY test run would never have happened. The Americans just didn't want to take that risk.

No test run, no North American release. The video game world would be massively different. the USA in now the #1 videogame market in the world, and #3 in terms of the proportion of population buying videogames, after Japan and South Korea. Sure, videogames probably would have caught on later, but things would be very different. No X-Box (though I am not a fan, there are many who are), no Master Chief, no Guitar Hero, or other various American produced games. 007 on the 64 probably would have sucked. And so on. Without the Americans involved in the video game competition, as well as a huge market audience, the video game industry would not have accelerated as fast as it has.

But the NYC test run was a success, and the American market was opened. The NES was released nationwide, an the rest history. All because the Robotic Operating Buddy sealed the deal for some fidgety marketers. And it probably did help quite a bit with the test run. Talk about the little robot that could. In my opinion, the only character in Brawl more important to Nintendo's success than R.O.B. is the big cheese himself, the Italian plumber supreme, Mario, and his first rival, Donkey Kong (who actually almost bankrupted Nintendo over copyright issues). Even though it pains me to say, I feel it beats out the Legend of Zelda in importance (my all-time favorite series). Its just that R.O.B. never got the red carpet treatment. Which is fine. He served his purpose.

However, Smash Brothers primarily is, and always was, a shrine to Nintendo's best and brightest. I think its about time the little robot got the attention it deserves.

While I am disappointed that Ridley and Megaman are not in, thats OK. Megaman would need serious business shinanigans to ever make it, like Sonic, and Ridley is only a supporting character to one of Nintendo's second tier Super Mascots. Same as Krystal, only even more so. But the fact is, they just do not have the impact R.O.B. did, even if they are more visible and memorable.

Combined with the fact that R.O.B. actually was quite popular in Japan, the second largest (and probably more important to the developers) market in the world, I think it makes sense to put the robot into the game. I for one am quite excited to see how this unique, not-traditional character will play. I'll probably try it right after Link and Sonic. And maybe Snake, who I initially thought was a mistake, but have since seen the err of my ways.

Please stop complaining and give both Sakurai and R.O.B. the respect they deserve.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
@A link to the Snitch:

And then we still come down to the two things still: A orginal moveset, Importance. Sheriff was not a very popular game at all it didn't sell well (Didn't draw much customers and nintendo didn't manage to get many out on the market) so you can hardly at all argue that his importance beats ROB. And once again, it's lot easier to do a orginal moveset for a robot then a sheriff to be honest.

@MysticJon:

ROB got a unique apperance compared to many robots (espcially nowdays when they all looks so futuristic compared to ROB's apperance) but point taken, a robot is not that unique, but for the smash series, he is unique in two aspects. 1: he's not a original nintendo character and is rather a accesory to a nintendo character despite he have starred in two games before. 2: we have never had any robots in the game before.

edit: @Da Black Rabbit:

Spirithawk covered it pretty much why ROB beats any of those nintendo characters you mentioned in importance not to mention most of them are a one-shot characters that most people have no idea what or who they are unless they are die-hard nintendo fans. At least some people have known ROB due to his importance and recent apperances in nintendo titles

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
This is absolutely true.

Video games were dead in America, though thriving in Japan. In order to make the purchase palpable, NoA packaged the NES with R.O.B. and a keyboard (Which I still have!!!) to go with the whole computer/multifaceted entertainment with games as an aside. Then the kids my age and a little older got to it, and started playing the hell out of Mario, and thus we are here today.

Besides personal experience, this claim is backed up by many respectable resources in regards to the video game industry.
Don't kid yourself, thats bull****, the NES, or another nintendo console, would have came over here sometime. Probably not much later then when the NES came over here.

I think the only people who care about Nintendo's history being show cased in smash, are Nintendo, and their fanboys.

Except he's very important in SSE...

You can't make someone of his importance into an AT...
Thats why you make someone else more deserving the boss of SSE.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
You guys are forgetting that R.O.B. basically saved Nintendo back in '83. Without him, Nintendo would most likely have never made such an epic comeback in the video game crash of 1983, which would then have lead to no Smash Bros whatsoever. Give the guy some credit, people.

And to be quite frank, R.O.B. is a much better addition than most of the characters already in the game. R.O.B. represented Nintendo itself, unlike characters like Snake and Sonic. Granted, they're both cool, but they're not Nintendo in the least. The only reason they're in is because Sega is everyone's ***** now and Hideo Kojima begged for Snake to be in. Those two reasons still don't really justify why they're in. They're terrible choices when it comes to a Nintendo fighting game.

Don't kid yourself, thats bull****, the NES, or another nintendo console, would have came over here sometime. Probably not much later then when the NES came over here.

I think the only people who care about Nintendo's history being show cased in smash, are Nintendo, and their fanboys.
This doesn't change the fact that people didn't just let it fix itself. They did something to remedy the problem, and it saved them, so please don't include hypothetical scenarios in your argument.

So before you say WTF R.O.B., please set aside all those characters who have very little to do with Nintendo's success and remember who you owe your passion for Smash Brothers to. R.O.B. says, "You're welcome, *****es."

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Why oh why is everybody hating on ROB. seriously, he is amazing, the fact that sakurai put that robot is hilarious! besides, he is extremely different from all other characters, and im thinkin about 5 people thought of the idea of him, which makes him the ultimate wtf character. also he is a very big part of SSE.

take it easy on the robot haha

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
I will let it be known that RoB is a graet character. And he can be used really well thanks to some sick combos he has. Ive already gotten a good feel for him and can rock the limited competition ive been playing. He is actually a very well balanced character. He has a good recovery, projectile attacks, good close range attacks, and is average weight, power and speed. He is also one of the few characters capable of abusing the air dodge. Ive been able to do it with him four times without landing.

I wouldnt be surprised if he becomes top tier. But its too early to be saying such things.

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
R.O.B. is an awesome choice, i mean c'mon, he's a freakin robot. Here's what i think about other characters that you guys wanted in.

Ridley: An okay choice, but makes for a better boss.

Geno: Sqaure might have not allowed him to be in brawl.

Krystal: Enough Star Fox Reps.

Midna: Kind of a n00b, and a bit weak. I'd imagine her being a weak mewtwo. Mewtwo would have been a better choice.

Megaman: Capcom didn't want him in. I would have liked to see him though.

Issac: Not important Enough.

Tails: He is just a big ***. sorry guys.

Skull Kid: Too obscure a choice.

Lip: Lack of a moveset, she was in a freakin puzzle game.

There isn't much more past that. Except maybe Bowser Jr. I would have enjoyed to see him there and i don't know why. Probably because there are too many mario reps.

I'm going to enjoy ROB.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Ayumi Tachibana would've kicked R.O.B.'s *** in the WTF department.

And I'm upset for Ridley being a boss because I was expecting to kick Mother Brain's *** And Kraid's too. He doesn't make for a better boss, he should've of been playabe and let the real too big characters take precedence as bosses.

DQP

Smash Ace
hey! why do you think game + watch made it in? because he's popular!?

but ya, i was expecting the WTF character to be sukapon or something... i definitely wasn't expecting ROB...

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
While he isn't as cool as some of the characters, I am going to say WOOT for rob!
He is a trademark in nintendo's history and I think he should be in more games as a tribute.
Perhaps they should even make another game itself with rob.I could really see it work on the wii!

Top Bottom