• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi Critique Topic

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Ugh.....defensive play.....god it's soo boring.......Ah well, I'll look into it. I already know my pivot grabbing isn't that good, but for pivoting itself, I don't think it's that big of a deal for Yoshi's game. But whatever. I'll look into it.
Pivoting is awesome Scatz. Me loves the pivot grab.

bigman40

Smash Master
lol well i guess ill show a friendly from my first time playing someone offline, it was a friendly which explains why i didnt camp bigfoot's DK but ill put it up for critique anyhoo ^^

-personal preferences for critique would be from acey, bwett, stocky, and pride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYPcgVzP9k&feature=channel_page
Use rising Dairs when you can get the chance. They're excellent shield pressuring since you can follow up with a Nair to keep them from attempting something (example would be at 2:50 when you got Usmashed. That really shouldn't have happened).

Try to use something else other than DownB when you have the opportunity. DownB is one of Yoshi main killing moves, and over using it would put you into a lot of trouble (and this is considering the you were using Uair a lot to combo).

In about the second stock, I could tell you were trying to focus on killing DK. He was at too low of a percentage to even start attempting it. Yoshi doesn't efficiently kill characters until they're close to 150% (especially for the heavies). Act like his percentage is normal before getting eager to kill him.

Space Bair moar! In the beginning he grabbed you after them, and he still had chances to grab you later on during the match (DK was letting go of his shield early).

Overall you did good for your first offline matches, but you probably won't care about my advice since you want personal preference critiques..... >.>

Bwett

Smash Ace
Bigman got everything I wanted to say =)

EDIT: Bigman, watched your matches against the Marth. Your strategy against that particular marth worked well with just overloading him with a flurry in close combat, but note that a better marth will always beat you in close combat.

You should space much more against marth, using pivot grabs and eggs more. Also, you used eggs alittle too close at times. A good marth will abuse the crap out of Dancing Blade against you, so most approaches from you can be shielded to DB or grab. Also, they can up-b out of dair so dont use it when you are at high percents, if at all.

It is extremely hard to punish marth when he is off the edge outside of egg throwing because his fair beats almost everything you have in air. I suggest either egg spamming to get rid of his horizontal movement or grabbing the ledge and trying to time the invincibility frames properly to gimp his up-b.

Also, something I want you to test because I'm trying it as well and it has worked every time I've tried it.

When you knock Marth off the edge, when he gets close, he will jump and use Dancing Blade to delay his upb so you will lose invincibility if you try to edgehog him. So wait for him to get close, use DJ to grab the ledge to force him jump and sideb. The second he uses the first hit of sideb, fall to nair. So far, I've gimped Marth hard with it. See what you can do. There is a chance he has time to get upb out before you hit him so be careful =)

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok imma post all my videos from feb and on.... i know the people i face suck or wifi or blahblahbl--stfu...
TL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_O3iGlS0Oo
Marth (wifi): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuBXq2Tepo0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYJgGLipFg
Rusty Olimar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gN22CC9Eh8
Lucas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaooPQBojks
Jiggs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9BTBatcDs
CF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w8_NsHnAyY
sorry for not really contributing for the community, everyone.... i'll start attempting to do all i can asap!

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Okay Airborne--

You seem to throw out a lot of moves for no reason when your not in range to hit your opponent. Work on your spacing a little and try to stick to Yoshis fast moves instead of throwing out Fsmashs and Usmashs. Try using his Dtilit and Ftilt. Also play a little more defense. Your giving damage but every time you give damage you take damage. Instead of running in and attacking slow it down a little and use some pivot grabs and MOAR EGGS. Force your opponent to approach you don't need to approach every time. One last thing play a little bit more defense when inside like I said before your taking to much damage. Try to use a lot more spot dodges. And just do Spot Dodge to jab inside instead of throwing out laggy moves.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Bigman vs Kirby:

Stop using so many fairs when he is off the stage. Also, be careful about using bair against a Kirby. He can punish with his own bair and it hurts. Kirby will bait the bair and bait you to chase him by walking backwards. If you chase him, you will either eat a bair or fsmash so don't chase him. You did a good job of not being under Kirby while off stage except for maybe 1 or 2 spots.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Okay Airborne--

You seem to throw out a lot of moves for no reason when your not in range to hit your opponent. Work on your spacing a little and try to stick to Yoshis fast moves instead of throwing out Fsmashs and Usmashs. Try using his Dtilit and Ftilt. Also play a little more defense. Your giving damage but every time you give damage you take damage. Instead of running in and attacking slow it down a little and use some pivot grabs and MOAR EGGS. Force your opponent to approach you don't need to approach every time. One last thing play a little bit more defense when inside like I said before your taking to much damage. Try to use a lot more spot dodges. And just do Spot Dodge to jab inside instead of throwing out laggy moves.
i've actually been attempting to overall use my tilts and jabs a lot more, but i have this thing in my system where i've been trying to use fair and bair way too much...it's like how i used to downb spam back when i was incredibly horrible... but yeah, usmash is almost completely out of my system, even for kills, while fsmash is too far into my system b/c i worked on spacing it correctly for a while.... my pivot grabs have been punished far too much, so i was trying to hold back on those somewhat, or they just weren't coming out right at all (standing pivot grabs ftl... same with dashing the other way instead of pivoting...) but the other things i hear a lot, but i don't know how to implement them the right way into my system... =\ thanks though lil_b! ^.^

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
Good ****, though it does seem like you throw eggs when they are close to you a lot. Maybe those were messed up ets i dont know. But throwing eggs that close usually gets me grabbed / hit.

Why weren't you using more upsmash on Battlefield? I cp that stage a lot just to drag people off the platforms for free forward smashes when they shield the upsmash, one of the easier ways to kill on that stage imo.

I have to admit, Lucario is also one of my worst matchups as yoshi, and I usually just go Olimar / Fox when dealing with one.

bigman40

Smash Master
Usmash is practically negated by Lucario's Dair. I don't use it against him cause you can't be under him unless you actually caught him off guard.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Lucario's d-air is one of the only five-or-so aerial moves that just flat-out beat Yoshi's up-smash. It's sad. =(

auroreon

Smash Ace
Scatz:
I agree, Lucario is one of the most annoying matchups... always causes big problems.
Major concern... Did you forget how to short hop? Did your controller break preventing SH? Seriously wth...
Anyway, you really gained control of the match on some occasions, the trick with Lucario is to maintain that control over the battlefield and don't let him get it back to even terms.
There were a few occasions where you were trying to grab when it would have been better to egglay, which got you punished. Also you rolled towards Lucario a few times which is deffinatly a mistake when playing Lucario cos he can really punish Yoshis terrible roll.
Some really nice work with the eggs, you kept him at bay a lot with nice use of the eggs, good stuff.
You've also really stepped up your grab game since your last vids, deffinatly a lot of nice grabbing going on... a real improvement.
Keep kicking ***!

Anyone fancy starting an 'I hate Lucario' club?

EDIT: Lucarios Dair says a great big "F*ck You" to Yoshis Usmash, but it is possible (whilst a bit difficult) to beat it using Uair.

bigman40

Smash Master
Scatz:
I agree, Lucario is one of the most annoying matchups... always causes big problems.
Major concern... Did you forget how to short hop? Did your controller break preventing SH? Seriously wth...
Anyway, you really gained control of the match on some occasions, the trick with Lucario is to maintain that control over the battlefield and don't let him get it back to even terms.
There were a few occasions where you were trying to grab when it would have been better to egglay, which got you punished. Also you rolled towards Lucario a few times which is deffinatly a mistake when playing Lucario cos he can really punish Yoshis terrible roll.
Some really nice work with the eggs, you kept him at bay a lot with nice use of the eggs, good stuff.
You've also really stepped up your grab game since your last vids, deffinatly a lot of nice grabbing going on... a real improvement.
Keep kicking ***!

Anyone fancy starting an 'I hate Lucario' club?

EDIT: Lucarios Dair says a great big "F*ck You" to Yoshis Usmash, but it is possible (whilst a bit difficult) to beat it using Uair.
Lol. I did the full hops on purpose. I can't really beat Lucario straightforward. Mixing in full hops helped me more than just SHing all the time.

I'm still working on egg lay. I've been trying to get a few mixups with it and I'm not ready to use those mixups yet. Plus, I over space most of my egglays on most characters. This puts me in the same spot as missing a grab (most of the time for me anyway).

yeah........Those rolls were probably desperate moments -____-; gotta work on not freaking out on those moments.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
u gotta learn to kill with an fsmash if u want this match up to be less painful. also u dont alway have to retreat with ur eggs try doing the double jump. also try not to aim ur eggs at him but near him it will mess up him timing as u can see he perfect shielded many of ur eggs. all u need to do is find out where u are ina an advantage and what u gotta do the stay in that mode

just keep practicing Grampz/techzilla (i just learned ur other nickname today)

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
u crazy? f smash is waaaaay too dangerous to use for all your kills on any character
what else are u gonna kill with up smash will pretty much only kill on the gound, up air is sooooo hard to land, groudn pound is very punishable when it misses. what makes fsmash worse then his already bad killing options

bigman40

Smash Master
what else are u gonna kill with up smash will pretty much only kill on the gound, up air is sooooo hard to land, groudn pound is very punishable when it misses. what makes fsmash worse then his already bad killing options
He can't land a Fsmash while your stuck in lag for 2 of the 3 of those moves.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
A few things I use to kill lucarios, Force them to recover low by using egg spam off the stage, then go for the gimp / edgehog since his UpB has no attack on it (Doesnt work on some stages like Yoshi's as he will wall cling and then jump up.)

Or you try to bait him into airdodging by throwing eggs / empty hopping under him and hit him with a Uair / Upsmash.

Only time I ever get a Fsmash to hit is when he misses a counter, but decent lucarios dont use that move...

auroreon

Smash Ace
IMO, a lot of Yoshi mains use the Fsmash too much. Its so punishable and it doesn't even have that great knockback... I use Fsmash mostly to punish the opponant, the only times I hit with it otherwise are using DT/DR.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Wait, Yoshi's f-smash has great knockback! Sure, it's no DK f-smash, but it can kill nicely...

I do tend to overuse it, though. =/

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
im just saying cause grampz doesnt use fsmash at all and even tho its laggy it still can but used with his amzing teching skizzles. gramps u gotta try to dr ets plzz just once even if it hard

bigman40

Smash Master
It's possible, but not practical. ETS already does a good amount and adding in DR wouldn't solve anything. That's just being flashy. If you really wanted to do something like DR forwards and ETS backwards, you can do somewhat the same and wavebounce an ETS (yes, you can do it on the gorund).

Top Bottom