• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oil Panic! (A Bucket List and Strategy Guide)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ive heard that against some characters, the d-throw to d-smash combo was inexcapable, so is it possible to just do a d-throw straight into oil?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
wow, escalator, you really worked hard on this guide.
the only thing i have to say is, you bucket didnt help you at all when you played my wolf. the only thing filling up your bucket did was give me more reason to shower you with lasers.
Well, that has nothing to do with the Bucket in general. It's my issue with fighting a wolf on wifi on battlefield, and dealing with spamming under a platform. The bucket is plenty useful against wolf, and just because I didnt give a good match vs you recently doesnt mean it hasnt worked before. What about all of the times vs your fox?

And you're wolf was your weakest link when we battled a while back, I had no toruble utilizing the bucket then. It's just that I've been doing worse and worse lately online.

you live in texas!!!!

and Im surprised you didnt notice the reference in the bucket stalling part. Mindgamez anyone?

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
ummm great guide. I just have a quick question. can anyone please give me advice on being on a team with a mr g&w and me being Ness? i want to be able to utilize all of our combos (especially the bucket)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Hmm, well I'll give you some brief things you can try out if you get the time.

with G&W as your partner, you can't heal off of anything he has, so thats a downer. Two big pluses are the Bucket, and his Uair/UpB. They will help Ness recover if he's placed right.

But you posted in the guide, so its probably better to just explain how the bucket should fit in. When given the opportunity, have him use his bucket directly on you as you use PKT. He should get most or all of it filled with just this. The G&W should also try and take advantage of when you hit the opponents with PKFire. The pillar is weak, but its a bucket full nonetheless. PKCross should only be used rarely. If you do get the chance, just use it, but dont aim it or have it grow bigger; G&W's bucket can reach and catch it above you.

If you know about how the controller ports work, try having Ness grab the opponent, and have G&W use oil panic on the both of you. If you have the higher port, you should be unharmed.

So a quick fill will be using PKT right on his bucket, and a strategic capture will be during the PKfire for a free fill.

Also, if its ever 2v1, with you and G&W still alive, grab the opponent and keep hitting them with the grab attack until they break out, and then have G&W grab them and do the same when this happens. When they get killable, just Use Ness' Bthrow.

So, Bucket, Uair/UpB recovery, and grabs.
Kept it short, but all you really need is some practice and you'll figure out how you guys fit in your roles.

Neb

Smash Lord
Hmm, well I'll give you some brief things you can try out if you get the time.

with G&W as your partner, you can't heal off of anything he has, so thats a downer. Two big pluses are the Bucket, and his Uair/UpB. They will help Ness recover if he's placed right.

But you posted in the guide, so its probably better to just explain how the bucket should fit in. When given the opportunity, have him use his bucket directly on you as you use PKT. He should get most or all of it filled with just this. The G&W should also try and take advantage of when you hit the opponents with PKFire. The pillar is weak, but its a bucket full nonetheless. PKCross should only be used rarely. If you do get the chance, just use it, but dont aim it or have it grow bigger; G&W's bucket can reach and catch it above you.

If you know about how the controller ports work, try having Ness grab the opponent, and have G&W use oil panic on the both of you. If you have the higher port, you should be unharmed.

So a quick fill will be using PKT right on his bucket, and a strategic capture will be during the PKfire for a free fill.

Also, if its ever 2v1, with you and G&W still alive, grab the opponent and keep hitting them with the grab attack until they break out, and then have G&W grab them and do the same when this happens. When they get killable, just Use Ness' Bthrow.

So, Bucket, Uair/UpB recovery, and grabs.
Kept it short, but all you really need is some practice and you'll figure out how you guys fit in your roles.
Nicely said, ._.b, lol.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
What happens when you absorb 3 60% oil buckets from another Mr. G&Wy, do it again, and wash, rinse repeat? Wouldn't you theoretically, when playing against massively n00by Ness or Lucas players who spam all there specials, to deal 999% damage in 1 hit just to torture them? It of course will take like forever, but just think of the fun you could have!

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
Well, that has nothing to do with the Bucket in general. It's my issue with fighting a wolf on wifi on battlefield, and dealing with spamming under a platform. The bucket is plenty useful against wolf, and just because I didnt give a good match vs you recently doesnt mean it hasnt worked before. What about all of the times vs your fox?

And you're wolf was your weakest link when we battled a while back, I had no toruble utilizing the bucket then. It's just that I've been doing worse and worse lately online.

you live in texas!!!!

and Im surprised you didnt notice the reference in the bucket stalling part. Mindgamez anyone?
dude, you havent gotten much worse. i got a lot better because my wolf changed a lot. before i changed my wolf, i got 2-3 stocked by yoshiking, now we are even. the matches go back and fourth.
MINDGAMEZ
also, we arent talking about my fox, we are talking about meh wolf.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Nah, you don't seem much better than when we first started playing ;P
Have you played shakey? I played awful vs him, and he thinks he's now better than me. It's upsetting because I know I used to be a lot better on wifi.

I havent done much battling online for like a long while. I've been spending too much time here and there to get on Brawl for much besides testing and screenies.

Will be updating this to show the effect of stale moves!
Big thanks to Neb.
But I have dinner and I dunno if I'll do it after that.

I added a lil bit of color, but I think it still looks a bit off :s

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
How did you two match up? I certainly think I'm better, but maybe thats just me being me.
And it's not like I haven't improved or anything, y'know... >_>

Anyways, this is too offtopic!!

Phatgamer1

Smash Lord
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but will I be the one receiving credit for the controller port information? >.>

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Erm... why should you?
This has been going around for a while now, and I'm not clueless. I knew how the controller ports worked before you mentioned it.

I also don't think I've even mentioned the ports yet. I was planning on splitting things up into a 1v1 and a 2v2 section. When I make the 2v2 section I was going to add it.

on the topic of credits, I'll be looking through this thread at some point and cite who contributed what. If you mentioned the combo, and it wasnt already something I was planning on adding, I'll give you credit after the appropriate section.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Of course!
I took the sprites of the stock symbols from The Spriters Resource, brought them down to my computer and made them individual sprites, and then I uploaded them to Iaza. After uploading, I used one of Iaza's various options and resized the sprites.

You could google Iaza :p
But really, it's just a matter of resizing.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Of course!
I took the sprites of the stock symbols from The Spriters Resource, brought them down to my computer and made them individual sprites, and then I uploaded them to Iaza. After uploading, I used one of Iaza's various options and resized the sprites.

You could google Iaza :p
But really, it's just a matter of resizing.
So for example i couldn't just you know, good old fashion copy and paste?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Well, you can if you'd like. You could even just copy the image location and put that into a post. Copy and Paste is just as well.

:D

anar9kis

Smash Rookie
if you bucket right under dedede's up-b landing, you can bucket both the left-hand and the right-hand star at the same time and get two charges in the bucket. I've only done it once but still might be nice to include.

samai

Smash Apprentice
With oil panic I use down-throw to down tilt to down b works as long as they don't DI behind you

Neb

Smash Lord
NEW DISCOVERY!

Alrighty, so I was seeing if GaW had anymore defenses against Snakes projectile medley, and I found nothing. Well that is besides that Judgment 9 completely disintegrates a Nikita, but it blows up right in your face, as most of you know.

BUT! I did find something pretty bizarre. So here it is.
Okay, if Snake plants a land mine, we all know that Chef, can cook-it, correct? Only problem is, is that the foods come out at random, which leaves you open while your trying to toss accurately.

Yet there is an alternative, and Mr. Esc is going to enjoy this, ^_^b.
So, I go up to a land mine, and just randomly pull out my empty bucket, and to my surprise the mine automatically detonates!? Its as if the bucket sends out a shock wave of some sort, or spills an invisible oil slick over the space (lol, like the classic Flat Zone?). The distance it works is just about the size of the gas splash from Oil panic, which is like a G&W and a half. Try it out, it could be a good mindgame to roast cobra's, and it saves your flat a** from being blown sky high, without even having to be in bair distance. This can work out of a short-hop as well.

Name, maybe???
+Oil Slick or "Slick": Ex- "I Slicked the mine then followed through with a bair..."
+Oil Spill or "Spill": Ex-"I Spilled the mine then blah, blah, blah..."
+Oil Gelling or "Gell": Ex- "I quickly Gelled the claymore, catching the hand grenade in the explosion and, blah, blah, etc."

Hope this isn't already known, :/...

Neb

Smash Lord
Good, it wasn't just me, lol. Yeah, its a lot more accurate than chef, and since the wall-like explosion from the mine covers the lag of the bucket, you in a way, have a makeshift shield protecting your front. I'm just curious as to why it detonates the mine, its really strange. I noticed that GaW's feet go a tad bit under the floor when you SH bucket, maybe that apart of it, I dunno, :/.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I tested this when you first posted it in the Character Discussion, and it really odes work. The splash affect is really interesting. I'm not sure why Snake's Dsmash has so many peculiarities (i.e. Dedede inhaling it and now this), but I can't complain.

This is a really neat discovery, and I'm surprised that anyone could of found something so obscure xD
It isn't known, and I personally think this is amazing.
Sweet job Neb!
Definitely more useful than the Norfair Defense.

Oh, speaking of which, I did it online today, so I think theres just a small timeframe where you can get affected. Something to do with the rocking back and fourth animation. maybe when it's in the middle of it's swing?

but yeah, I'm going to add this.
Awesome work :D

Neb

Smash Lord
Lol, np, and thanks for the credit! I don't really know why I decided to go up to a mine and pull out a bucket either, haha. But I agree, there really is something funky about Snake's dsmash, and its unique because the Slick doesn't work against regular motion censored mines, like the item.

It looks like we might be wearing down Snake's weapon game, or that's how it seems. You can actually counter Snake's moves with it, which probably eliminate landmines' use in the future, against G&W. I think they'll probably be numerous discoveries with uair, up-b and bucket.

And yeah, I'll fix that on my guide. I'll probably need to study it more later this week too.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Studying it is quite hard, as the spurts are random, and the wave is rare.
Good luck with that xP

I think I'll update this after I get the online tourney up.

Neb

Smash Lord
Lol, I'll have to tweak the speed, zoom in, etc, so I can get an accurate analysis. I'm pretty sure this won't be a walk in the park, :dizzy:.

Egh, I hate wifi, the lag, its just, gagh. If it wasn't for the lag, and lack of communication, It'd be awesome. But every blue moon, you get a descent connection, which isn't so bad.

Edit: Hey what do you think about using Bucket Stalling as a means to reverse your direction in the air? I was a bit hesitant because it has such a large lag, but maybe. Chef is a bit to fast, and there's always that chance of having the buffer system screw you over.

Top Bottom