• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OK, I got the game and here are my thoughts on Wolf:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Reflector

reflector reflector reflector reflector...

reflector?

reflector.

THE reflector.

REFLEC

TOR.

reflector.

That is all.

Wolf's reflector is the best thing in the game. It's the coolest counter-style move ever. Couple it with the Blaster and Wolf becomes downright hard to approach while he's camping.

Sure it doesn't do much damage, but it puts you at a huge frame advantage on hit.

Besides that, I just love all of Wolf's attacks. I was kind of disappointed when I found out how punishable all his moves are on block, but it balances him out nicely. His Ftilt is unusual...it can be very punishable on block or very useful, depending on how your opponent reacts to the first hit. And I just love his AAA combo.

All in all, I'm glad I supported Wolf from the beginning!

Relhots

Smash Lord
No, no... his reflector utterly sucks.... its one of his worst moves.... its only use is to spike... He has so many better moves... Its not his Reflector.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I thought his reflector was fun. I use it for defense and "surprise" rushes. I don't use it like Fox's.

And his fsmash is not block-punishable, as far as I have played.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree his reflector is effective but not that effective i would only use it 2 or 3 times in a game just to combo off of. I also disagree with it being a spike his dair imo is much better and effective for spiking or his side B is you can space it good enough so that u grab the edge after you sweet spot someone.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Reflector shouldn't be used as an offensive move. Even the Dojo recognized it more as a defensive move.

DAKMASTER

Smash Apprentice
i agree the reflector is an equal part in my game as his aerials. It doesnt do much damage, but it flusters my opponent enough to set up combos :)

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Nessbounder, your sig is mesmerizing.

I think the blaster better defines wolf than his reflector does.

AlexDL

Smash Rookie
On Wolf's shine, I think it can be use Defensively or Offensively. For me it cancels many attacks because of the dodge frames it has at the beginning of the move. So basically someone is coming in with an aerial and you shine. It dodges the attack then stuns the enemy. It comes out really fast so for me it's pretty easy to do and effective. But that's just me.

Edit: On the laser I actually find it useful but not for camping. It has some punishable after it. It's also kinda lame just sitting there shooting, and if your opponent it competent then they will get around it pretty easily. It is useful but I think it's something you should surprise your enemy with instead of they expect it and go around it. I think spamming laser and Fsmash not only doesn't work it makes you look like a ******.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
For everybody who's saying the reflector sucks:

invincibility frames as SOON as the attack starts, right up until the hit. After that, an attack with great range that stuns and combos into a neutral A combo at proper range.

How can you say that sucks? Seriously.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
No, no... his reflector utterly sucks.... its one of his worst moves.... its only use is to spike... He has so many better moves... Its not his Reflector.
Or you could use it to dodge any attack in the game with its massive invincibility frames. Also, it's a move that isn't easy to punish and puts you at a huge frame advantage, hits on both sides of you, and seems to have ultimate priority.

Wolf's reflector is so good that I rarely shield or dodge any more. If I see the opponent trying to attack me I just flash the reflector instead of shielding or dodging. Free damage. By the time the actual hitting part of it activates, your opponent is either completely left open and will be hit by it, or they'll be in the middle of a slow attack and be hit by it. Either way, they'll be hit by it unless they have super armor or something like that, or are attacking with a particularly long-ranged move. And it's not like it has punishable lag either.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
For everybody who's saying the reflector sucks:

invincibility frames as SOON as the attack starts, right up until the hit. After that, an attack with great range that stuns and combos into a neutral A combo at proper range.

How can you say that sucks? Seriously.
uh firstly it doesnt combo unless ur opponents controller doesnt have a shield button,. secondly its extremly good but doesnt start a single combo, i use it probly 40 times per match, mainly when recovering

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
uh firstly it doesnt combo unless ur opponents controller doesnt have a shield button,. secondly its extremly good but doesnt start a single combo, i use it probly 40 times per match, mainly when recovering
False. I tested it in training mode at 1/4 the speed, with the CPU set to control and holding down the shield button the whole time. It can combo, and if not, it still puts you at a generous frame advantage.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
False. I tested it in training mode at 1/4 the speed, with the CPU set to control and holding down the shield button the whole time. It can combo, and if not, it still puts you at a generous frame advantage.
Very true. Even if your opponent can sheild doesn't mean he will.(mindgames;))

I hardly side or air dodge anymore either, the invincibility frames are amazing and It pressures your opponent like crazy.

1337z0r

Smash Cadet
the reflector is awesome. no one expects me to use it against any one of their attacks and it usualy leaves me room to counter

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
by generous frame advantage do you mean "tempts you to fsmash and get shield grabbed"? The frame advantage isn't generous if none of wolfs attacks are fast / long enough to follow it, even if u said you tested it you're wrong, and most of us know that, so u can definitely hti them with an extremely high priority attack with invincibility frames that does around 3% damage, but no you can't combo with this and no its frame advantage isn't generous

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
But why are people using it for offensive purposes? <_<
pretend you're fighting say.. marth, hes in the air and you're worried your fair / bair / Uair will get swept away by his sword (which they will) jumping into him with reflector will hit.. there are tons of situations like this, just where to be safe you can use reflector cause of invincy frames

again using marth as an example if hes recovering semi below the stage (isnt back yet) approaching with bair as an edgeguard might / will result to an up-b to the face, use your shield and you displace his recovery even if he tries to up-b

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
by generous frame advantage do you mean "tempts you to fsmash and get shield grabbed"? The frame advantage isn't generous if none of wolfs attacks are fast / long enough to follow it, even if u said you tested it you're wrong, and most of us know that, so u can definitely hti them with an extremely high priority attack with invincibility frames that does around 3% damage, but no you can't combo with this and no its frame advantage isn't generous
Who says you're going to Fsmash though? You could just sit back and watch your opponent react to it, or fire a laser or do anything you want. Mix it up a bit, mind games etc.

'Frame advantage' in fighting games doesn't mean combo time. It refers to a you having options that trump your opponnet's as the result of them suffering from hitstun or whatever. It's the same concept as shielding an attack and then dropping the shield and attacking. It's hardly a guaranteed combo, but it puts you at an advantage against your opponent. Wolf's reflector allows him to move slightly before the opponent has recovered from the stun. If they try to do something except block immediately, then there's a chance they can be hit by Wolf's AAA combo. If they do block or roll, Wolf doesn't even need to finish his combo, or he could just not attack in the first place, in which case the opponent will probably still either shield or try to attack, and either way Wolf will be free of lag to do whatever he wants in that situation.

Hitting with the reflector doesn't just do 3 damage, it negates your opponent's attack and resets the position of both characters, tipping the odds slightly in Wolf's favour. It's like a guard impact from Soul Calibur 2, only it does damage.

And yes, I tested it. 1/4 speed, opponent set to "control" and constantly holding shield button, and Wolf jumping in on the opponent with a reflector and then immediately following up with AAA combo. It all hit. Don't try to tell me it's wrong.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
Who says you're going to Fsmash though? You could just sit back and watch your opponent react to it, or fire a laser or do anything you want. Mix it up a bit, mind games etc.

'Frame advantage' in fighting games doesn't mean combo time. It refers to a you having options that trump your opponnet's as the result of them suffering from hitstun or whatever. It's the same concept as shielding an attack and then dropping the shield and attacking. It's hardly a guaranteed combo, but it puts you at an advantage against your opponent. Wolf's reflector allows him to move slightly before the opponent has recovered from the stun. If they try to do something except block immediately, then there's a chance they can be hit by Wolf's AAA combo. If they do block or roll, Wolf doesn't even need to finish his combo, or he could just not attack in the first place, in which case the opponent will probably still either shield or try to attack, and either way Wolf will be free of lag to do whatever he wants in that situation.

Hitting with the reflector doesn't just do 3 damage, it negates your opponent's attack and resets the position of both characters, tipping the odds slightly in Wolf's favour. It's like a guard impact from Soul Calibur 2, only it does damage.

And yes, I tested it. 1/4 speed, opponent set to "control" and constantly holding shield button, and Wolf jumping in on the opponent with a reflector and then immediately following up with AAA combo. It all hit. Don't try to tell me it's wrong.
idiot said fsmash earlier, nothin about jumpin in with AAA, jumping in with reflector alows you to be close enough for your fastest attack to connect, using reflector while on the ground puts them to far

+ you proved my point, the frame advantage is simply an advantage, not a generous one
+wolfs AAA combo can be interrupted by most characters
+wolf does have lag after a reflector
+none of your options trump your opponents, yall have the exact same options
+your best option is to fair anticipating your opponents reaction, if they retaliate you will almost alway have priority, if they don't your back on the ground in no time / no harm done

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
idiot said fsmash earlier, nothin about jumpin in with AAA, jumping in with reflector alows you to be close enough for your fastest attack to connect, using reflector while on the ground puts them to far

+ you proved my point, the frame advantage is simply an advantage, not a generous one
+wolfs AAA combo can be interrupted by most characters
+wolf does have lag after a reflector
+none of your options trump your opponents, yall have the exact same options
+your best option is to fair anticipating your opponents reaction, if they retaliate you will almost alway have priority, if they don't your back on the ground in no time / no harm done
So Fair out of reflector? Doesn't that have too much lag? Or can it be canceled from a short hop or something?

Top Bottom