• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ok someone help me to understand

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
Ive been using Snake pretty regularly as of late and in FFA matches I really clean up, but, in 1v1s it feels as though I play with too many weaknesses.

What Im trying to understand is how snake is such a great tourney character when so many of his moves leave him open to the more aggressive characters. My friend is pretty amazing with D3 and as slow as he is, he punished my slightest mistakes and my recovery was so easily gimped. It makes me wonder how pathetically I would do against a good, aggressive MK.

Anyway my question is, how do good snake players avoid the lag, and obvious openings present from a lot of snake moves. What moves are bad to use in 1v1 situations? and what are some good ideas involving the Down B? I can rarely land it outside of a FFA setting.

Thanks.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Uses tilts. Always. But save utilt for the kill (respective for the weight of your opponent). Full hopped nairs to attack opponents on platforms. Don't use fsmash unless you can predict a roll. To approach, force them to come to you with shield-dropped grenades, or go to them with mortar slides.

Dair is extremely situational, having little priority. Good for shield pressure, though. Jab is awesome. Nikita for edgeguarding. C4 for mindgames or recovery (if your cypher won't make it all the way up). Mines... use them if you want for mindgames, just don't step on them yourself. Try using it for edgeguarding.

But regardless, get specific. What do you do during 1vs1?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Always try to recover high, especially against a formidable aerial foe like D3.

But yea like bman said it's a vague question since all of his move can be used, but the frequency for each one depends on the character matchup. Staples are the tilts, nades, mortars.

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
Im specifically talking about aggressive characters. Im not having much problem with stall game on players that want to camp. Characters with a good projectile give me problems on the approach when trying to mortar slide, like wolf for instance.

It seems as though snake is a much more close combat character than I had previously imagined before playing him. His tilts are utterly brutal. Saving the UTilt for KOs surprises me a bit since it leads into some quite amazing combos involving BAir Gimpage.

I need to get better at C4ing myself up on recoveries. Upon doing Down B I always seems to fall too fast to land the hit. This will just take some practice.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
when I C4 recover, I have down held down while I'm still cyphering, then when I'm about to let go, I just hit B twice, and I don't fast fall.

If you get grabbed, just hold down and spam B until they drop you, and you should be okay

Formless

Smash Cadet
I actually do better in 1 v 1s, I do so badly in Free For All games. I can just concentrate on using traps much more effectively. The key with Snake is stage control and using tilts.

Top Bottom