• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
All right then. If I remember when I wake up, I'll head on up that way. What time are thinking of leaving for Durant?

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
An interesting piece on how the level design in the first world of Super Mario Bros 3 prepares you for 30 of the game mechanics and tactics without a word of instruction.
http://www.significant-bits.com/super-mario-bros-3-level-design-lessons

Its pretty long, I read about half of it, interesting. I'd like to see as much thought was put into modern level design instead of pages of tutorial text.

Shade_

Smash Ace
When you make games it sucks to be anyone besides the Director or producer. Level design in particular has a really high standard now adays and you don't really even get to take credit for all those hours of work you put in for it.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
When you make games it sucks to be anyone besides the Director or producer. Level design in particular has a really high standard now adays and you don't really even get to take credit for all those hours of work you put in for it.
Level design is one of the most important aspects of action/adventure games, even moreso for platformers. I'd love to see more credit/pay given to them. I assume that in the late 80s/early 90s directors had a greater role to play in level design and level designers were generally more motivated to make something cool and new.

I'm also looking for more setups for Oh Snap! Even if you aren't going if you can spare any extra CRTs or consoles please let me know.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I've got a wii without a melee disc or a complete brawl save data . . . or Brawl.

Ideally, I'd like to see it hacked for melee with texture/music hacks, but if that ain't possible, hacked Brawl can be run via an external on it as well.

Or someone can just bring a melee disc, and I'll just upload the saved data and play melee on it.

[edit]

ALSO BRYAN!!!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11925445&postcount=45486

CLICK ON THAT LINK!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Also I don't know how old this is, but there's a technique called Powershield Canceling (PSC) in Brawl now that requires you to buffer a shield drop after a PS to immediately attack afterwards. Found out by some Japanese dude, but it has some pretty cool adaptations especially against MK's tornado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjFQtAubet4

wtf . . .

I"m checking out the rest of this dude's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtUo7jOGGU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Like the last 45 seconds are just O_O

Shade_

Smash Ace
Interesting technique. This technique will probably be the line separating casual from competitive players in the future.

I got a few idea's I want to test this thing out, I'll let you guys know what I find.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Well, I was messing with that new power shield attack technique and I'm gonna call out a few things the video claimed. First off, this technique is ridiculously easy. Basically you just need to power shield, completely let go of the shield button, and do an attack. I don't know what this "change your controller to make it easier" trash is. That's really unnecessary. It's plenty doable with 'L', 'R', or any other shield button you like.

Second of, it is very possible to do 'F-smash" and 'D-Smash' out of it as well. I thought everyone already knew this.

If you want to do a 'F-smash' out of a shield (Power Shield) then let go of shield, hold down, while holding down 'C-stick' to do 'F-smash'.

If you want to do a 'D-smash' out of shield (Power Shield) then let go of shield, hold up, while holding up 'C-stick' to do 'D-smash'.

Both of these work easier when you hold your direction before you press the shield button. Then you just need to tap shield, and quickly tap the 'C-stick' right after.

You can also jump out of it into any air attack you want, but you've got to let go of the shield button.

I figured this out because I remembered a very dumb feature in the game. You know when you hold up and press 'C-stick' up you do a up-tilt? Same thing when you hold down and 'C-stick' down you do a down tilt. Well when you shield and do don't do anything with the control stick or 'C-stick' it turns those inputs into down-dodge and roll. But the game is programmed to recognize that there are combination with the control stick and 'C-stick' that change what is going to happen (The up-tilt and down-tilts as opposed to the smashes that the 'C-stick' normally does). These combinations of control stick +'C-stick' = attacks, take priority over 'Shield+'C-stick' = roll/dodge. However, when you press a direction that does not equall the same direction that you press the 'C-stick' with then you will just do then the character will just do a smash in the direction of the 'C-stick' regardless of where the control stick is facing.

Anyway, it works, so yeah. Hope it helps.

Also, one more thing about this technique is that stronger attacks will increase the time between the time you can attack and when they connect their attack to your power shield. Weak attacks that hit your shield like lasers, and MK's tornado will allow for instant power shielding attacks, but if you power-shield a smash then there is some lag before you can attack.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Well, I was messing with that new power shield attack technique and I'm gonna call out a few things the video claimed. First off, this technique is ridiculously easy. Basically you just need to power shield, completely let go of the shield button, and do an attack. I don't know what this "change your controller to make it easier" trash is. That's really unnecessary. It's plenty doable with 'L', 'R', or any other shield button you like.

Second of, it is very possible to do 'F-smash" and 'D-Smash' out of it as well. I thought everyone already knew this.

If you want to do a 'F-smash' out of a shield (Power Shield) then let go of shield, hold down, while holding down 'C-stick' to do 'F-smash'.

If you want to do a 'D-smash' out of shield (Power Shield) then let go of shield, hold up, while holding up 'C-stick' to do 'D-smash'.

Both of these work easier when you hold your direction before you press the shield button. Then you just need to tap shield, and quickly tap the 'C-stick' right after.

I figured this out because I remembered a very dumb feature in the game. You know when you hold up and press 'C-stick' up you do a up-tilt? Same thing when you hold down and 'C-stick' down you do a down tilt. Well when you shield and do don't do anything with the control stick or 'C-stick' it turns those inputs into down-dodge and roll. But the game is programmed to recognize that there are combination with the control stick and 'C-stick' that change what is going to happen (The up-tilt and down-tilts as opposed to the smashes that the 'C-stick' normally does). These combinations of control stick +'C-stick' = attacks, take priority over 'Shield+'C-stick' = roll/dodge. However, when you press a direction that does not equall the same direction that you press the 'C-stick' with then you will just do then the character will just do a smash in the direction of the 'C-stick' regardless of where the control stick is facing.

Anyway, it works, so yeah. Hope it helps.

Also, one more thing about this technique is that stronger attacks will increase the time between the time you can attack and when they connect their attack to your power shield. Weak attacks that hit your shield like lasers, and MK's tornado will allow for instant power shielding attacks, but if you power-shield a smash then there is some lag before you can attack.
This **** was very informative. Too bad... I don't find it that realistic, you should try experimenting it against mk other moves like F-air and F-tilt and tell me how it goes. Anyways as of now I only find it useful against predictable tornadoes and that **** is already punishable.

Shade_

Smash Ace
It works. Trust me. My bro and I went through and tried all of this. Given you have a move that is quick enough to counter attack with. Grabs will always work because of their super armor as well.

However, I'll tell you why there is a limit to how well this stuff can actually be used.

Obviously, in order to counter attack, you'll need to power shield. Power shielding is easy against moves with start-up time or projectiles. But, unless you read and guess when your opponent is going to do a quick move like MK's down and side tilt there is no way to react quickly enough in order to power shield. If MK is at a stand still and you tell someone ..."Ok, I'm going to do a side tilt, when I do a side tilt, I want you to shield", then you'll easily realize that by the time anyone recognizes that MK is attacking with side-tilt, they will be hit way before they can actually react to try and power shield.

Tornado is an easy attack to power-shield because you see it coming. This technique wont work against quick moves unless you read them. Ironically enough, I think that this actually helps MK more than it does anything else.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Tom and Curtis.

When we go to Amarillo Saturday, are we going to be housed with someone afterward? Leaving as soon as the tentative time puts us in Norman around 1-2 in the morning, and then the person from Durant, Curtis's brother, and myself will have to drive even further to get home. Maybe we could stay with someone overnight or rent a motel room, so we don't have to do everything in one day?

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I think if you can consistently Bdacus or QAC you should be fast enough to do it. Or if you play Melee.

@Josh, I don't really care if we stay the night or not. I guess it depends on what Tom or that other guy if he goes want to do.

Edit--That Durant guy can't go.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Kuni, you should post in the thread where that ****'s being discussed and just kick out the other dudes in control cause their theory kinda sucks.

The PSC stuff is honestly the first thing from the Japanese that I find like applicable across the board so I hope that **** gets picked up by Brawl players. Since a lot of my playstyle requires me to just walk up slowly and PS attacks, I don't see why it can't be instantly applicable to the players that like care.

[edit]

Also Karl, you forgot to bring me my VCR again lol

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
im probably the least technical person on this thread. that being said, i didnt find the psc to be quite so easy as kevin did. given how MK tornados falco i could not punish it very often, if at all with conventional controls. luckily i already had L set to attack from when falco's dacus was popular. grab works too but only if MK approaches in a noob/predictable way.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
PSC-cancelled Shoryukens on an over-zealous attacker, perhaps Kuni? If so, it makes countering *****-nado a bit easier, but again, it just makes a game that is already too defensive-minded into and even bigger staring contest. I don't mind defensive tactics (hell, in any fighter defense is usually king), but when you spend 8 minutes fighting for positioning and an opening finally appears, but you can't take a dude's life, there's something wrong.

Yeah, Street Fighter is defense-heavy, but at least when someone ****s up their defending, they eat big damage, if not flat-out lose the round. Messing up in Brawl only means you get hit a couple of times and go right back to defending, lol.

Basically, I just wanna punch people in the face. Even if I have to work a bit to get there, as long as face-punching, and people get lit on fire, its all good. But if I can't be rewarded for finally face-punching you? That's not gangsta, yo :(

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
PSC-cancelled Shoryukens on an over-zealous attacker, perhaps Kuni? If so, it makes countering *****-nado a bit easier, but again, it just makes a game that is already too defensive-minded into and even bigger staring contest. I don't mind defensive tactics (hell, in any fighter defense is usually king), but when you spend 8 minutes fighting for positioning and an opening finally appears, but you can't take a dude's life, there's something wrong.

Yeah, Street Fighter is defense-heavy, but at least when someone ****s up their defending, they eat big damage, if not flat-out lose the round. Messing up in Brawl only means you get hit a couple of times and go right back to defending, lol.

Basically, I just wanna punch people in the face. Even if I have to work a bit to get there, as long as face-punching, and people get lit on fire, its all good. But if I can't be rewarded for finally face-punching you? That's not gangsta, yo :(
troll, unsuccessful

Shade_

Smash Ace
Lol, maybe. But I'm too tired to find the thread. Also I doubt anyone would listen.

It's great for all characters. Just gota know when to power shield.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Nope, no trolling going on in that post, Tom. When I troll, it's far more dramatic and theatrical :)

I'll be playing at least Brawl doubles at OHSNAP, so meh. Which reminds me, I need a teams partner for Brawl AND Melee... We've been over this before, but once again, we all know I'm a beast in teams, so I don't know why people keep overlooking me as a potential teammate, lol.

Alex, Kuni, Bryan, and ESPECIALLY Chris should already know just how good a partner I am, but hey, whatevs. I'll be handing out Shoryukens regardless of my teammate. So, who wants to join forces with the Greatest of All Time?

Scuddlefish

Smash Rookie
so do I, I want to play several times a week for a few hours...the best way to practice anything.......

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, who is down for a little Melee today? Bryan isn't answering his phone right now so just Cats and me are up to play. Also can I get Gravity's number maybe?

I'll let bryan know there are peeps in need of housing when I see him.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I don't know if I'm up to making it to Norman today (sorry I didn't answer your phone calls, I've been away from my phone). Maybe tomorrow? Also, I might be able to house some people, but I don't know for sure at this point.

Also, wtf is wrong with Arizona.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I'll team with you in Brawl Brandon lol. I think I'm just going to do doubles for each event and thats it...lack of funds at the moment >.>

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
no no no no no! chris......ur the best in OK and ur not gonna rep singles for us!?!?!? i totally disagree with this prank u are pullin!

Shade_

Smash Ace
Is this a brawl or brawl minus tourny? I haven't touched normal brawl in like...since the beginning of last year? lol. Don't feel like putting money on a race that's already over so I'll probably just be going in for doubles too.

Top Bottom