• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
dont think ill be goin to the union tonight...cats wont be there and i dont get off till 11ish. if anyone does wanna smash for an extended amount of time txt me. i might go, but feel free to come over tonight 6204510159

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Okalie Dokalie one or two of us may kick back a couple of chinese beers at my place afterunion time.
In the meantime, I certainly have to say I don't like that Ice Climbers vs Peach matchup one bit.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
update, our tourney is gonna be on April 23rd and will either be called "Endless Challenge 2" or "Non-Stop Infinite Climax".

More importantly however, we've got nearly official confirmation that AXE, Silly Kyle and Tag$ will be coming! Is that enough bait for yall Sooners?

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Okalie Dokalie one or two of us may kick back a couple of chinese beers at my place afterunion time.
In the meantime, I certainly have to say I don't like that Ice Climbers vs Peach matchup one bit.
haha neither do i good sir. neither do i. im home now. forest said he wont b able to make it to my place due to other plans but if anyone else can thatd b great. ill try and get outlaw, or maybe we can go to outlaws depending on whats goin on.... hmmm

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Capcom rant incoming

Capcom ran Stuido4/Clover people out of their company too long ago (too creative for profits apparently). It looks to be the Devil May Cry 2 of Okami games. Trash, I'll give it a chance, but I'm pretty sure its just Capcom sequel trash now. Some shadow of its former self that is mildly entertaining rather than being equal or better than the original. Capcom knew they could develop and sell a cheap DS title at a profit to capitalize on a lauded and popular, but never commercially successful game.

As for the new DMC. I'm pretty sure Capcom is terrified to release any more information on the title for two reasons.

1. Those that are aware of Ninja Theory's track record (especially in comparison to Studio 4/Clover) know that Ninja Theory can't make an action game worth ****, I'm sure Capcom is having a hard time getting a quality product out of them, at least one that looks tight and fast enough to appease DMC fans.

2. The new look of Dante was met with a very cold reception from fans.

I assume that Capcom released this trailer with high hype hopes, and the terrible reaction has caused them to rethink their strat, however they surely already have a contract with Ninja Theory, and Keiji Inafune left the company recently. (creator of Mega Man. It was his job to be in charge of making sure Capcom games outsourced to Western developers didn't suck anymore)

Capcom has been my favorite game development company for over 2 decades, they've edged out Nintendo in a number of areas, everytime Nintendo would drop a new innovative product that convinced me they were the best ever, capcom would answer with an improvement on the formula (of course I still hold Nintendo's innovations are the strongest in the history of gaming, and their ingenuity persists to this day.)

Capcom has to be placed third or fourth on the list now, but a number one is hard to find. Nintendo is the default of course, but does a small nubile studio like Platinum Games warrant my "favorite developer" medal, even though they only have 4 games, 1 of which I haven't played (need infinite space).

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I've never really had a favorite game development company, but if I had to pick......it'd be amongst Game Freak, Serenity Productions, DIMPS, and Intelligent Studios.

Pokemon, Pokemon XD/Colleseum, Sonic Rush, and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga are games made by those companies, respectively, so they have some quality to back up my opinions.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking companies more generally that have first party developers on hand. In your case that would be Ninendo (kind if in my case as well) But as much as I love and appreciate Nintendo R&D1, I'm going to have to say that Clover(AKA Capcom Production Studio 4) is definitely number 1 of all time in my book. In that respect I can safely follow Platinum as their natural successor.

Dinocrisis,
Devil May Cry,
P.N.03,
Viewtiful Joe,
Resident Evil 4,
Okami,
Godhand,
Madworld,
Bayonetta,
Vanquish

All superb titles. None even remotely "meh" (although PN03 is bizarre) almost every one pushes the genre forward or even founds a new genre. Never have they kept pumping out dry or incremental sequels, by the same token, never have they pumped out a series of sequels long enough to keep a publisher happy, so the move from studio to studio. Even Shinji Mikami left Platinum recently, his new game looks a little gay right now, hopefully it shapes up.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
RAWR Drunken marvel with Hanson and company.

I won MMMM lastnight my melee money match monthlies against James mewtwo. He thought he had me. I'm also getting pretty sexy with samus. You know underneath that sexy cold metal shell is a warm vaginal center.

X_A

Smash Rookie
What I really need is for people to pre-register so the OKgamers people are convinced Smash is worthwhile! Its really easy, and you get a FREE TSHIRT!!!!! So please pre-register at this link:
http://www.okgamers.com/events/tcc-metro032611/prereg.php?tourn=2

Classic Saif Solidus miss-communications :)

I have bugged you about pre-reg; but that's not to prove you guys are worthwhile, more that it does help us plan, promote and oh yea - prove you'll be SHOWING UP!

Flip the script, try and be a new player here. If NOTHING else, OKgamers has been going into colleges and schools off and on for years, telling kids about you guys. They hear about a OKgamers smash event, and all these "Great players that can show up" - they are psyched. But then they look at pre-reg, and there's no one there. They assume - no one is showing up...

And before anyone tells me there aren't new smash players - come on. There are, I talk to new ones practically every time I go out and recruit / we do a game launch. They just haven't gone "hardcore" / don't realize there is a scene / etc.

I'll remind you one of the better Brawl players in the state - Chuck Nasty? Wandered into a OKgamers first SSBB event due to the site and a friend telling him about it. Fro was evidently a FPS gamer and after finding out there was a scene - moved over. You have to be around - for gamers to know they should actually come out.

As long as Norman / OKC / you guys show up to smash events we organize? I'll do my best to include smash; your value is you are a crew of fighting gamers in OK, that's all it takes :)

What "OKgamers" is pushing you to pre-reg for - is for the NEW gamers, who need to SEE there are players from all over who they can play, if they just get out of their house.

X A

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Right so, I came to get the SWF ppl to reg so it could be seen that there were people at smash, making it more appealing as an event to out of staters or for new people to look at it and say "woah there really is a scene" but there is also the looming and everpresent attitude, even among core smash players that "smash is dying" so when it looks like smashers can make a difference in that attitude by preregistering, it is more likely they will take action.

There is more to meeting your goals than telling people to fulfill the requirements, there is psychology and strategy involved. If you would like to be part of the ongoing conversation on this board feel free to, but like the SRK thing, if your making a clarification on an event its probably best to keep your posts succinct and to the point. There isn't a single TO that comes in here to promote his tournament with that many lines, usually its just "COME TO WHOBO XIV!: LINK, you know you guys want it, sexy" and thats about it, it works itself out after that. Rarely can we get ppl to prereg so I was doing a little motivating.

We understand you are an "OKgamers evangelist" (a term that I find a little offputting, you'll find smashers to be less than theistic most of the time JF excluded) but Oklahoma Thread already knows you, we know about OKgamers. While early on the you and the brawl community had their bouts, ultimately though things became cool. These secluded game communities like SRK, Smashboards, and Dustloop have pretentious and somewhat exclusive feelings about their communities, so when you drop in once every six months evangelize or criticize a misrepresentation, it often makes things worse.

SRK knew too, but their experience was less than positive. From my perspective, you did the wrong thing by posting 2 full thread pages of text, you did the right thing by coming down and spending the time to talk with them. Entri seemed particularly receptive and helpful. He was by far the most level headed and insightful gamer there (other than myself of course ^_-) I think Cutty McStab will come around to host bigger events later, this last sat was his first tourney and I'm sure it was daunting and exhausting.

Getting new people into any of the games at this event is going to be difficult. MvC and Reach are the only titles that aren't verging on legacy at this point, and they are very niche/ exclusive/ pretentious. Anyway a number of people are excited about this event, do we have any turnout numbers from Arkansas?

TL:DR Drop a quick succinct message in community forums like SWF/SRK/DL. If you have something to clear up, maybe talk to a regular on the boards in private like me for Smashboards, or Animefreak for Dustloop or whatever.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Aww, it's named after me... I feel so honored. Eat as many Gold Nuggets (and human souls) as possible, little Po Pimpus the Co***rigus!

As for me, finally got my eighth badge, and am off to catch my MUTHAF'N EAGLE POKEMON! As well as capture a few legends before I deal the final blow to the Pokemon League.
Already got Thundurus; used my Master Ball on the first sighting, as I am no longer thirteen years old and can't be arsed to chase it's *** all over Unova... It was Timid.

I also have two shinies- a Japanese Pawniard and a Basculin. I am officially the Ash Ketchum of Shiny Pokemon now, as I have about twenty or so shinies from all my fourth gen adventuring.
Get at me, Poke-noobs.

Final note: While I am not as active in the tournament scene as I once was, I applaud both Forest and Saif for their community-building efforts. While the approaches may be different, the end goals are the same: to make sure that our tourney scene is growing and continually evolving, much like the tiny creatures called Pokemon.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
If we can get a big enough carpool, I'll probably be willing to drive to ARK III.
I might go. I think that's the tourny that has AH3. I've only played the first Arcana Heart but I'll give this one a shot.

Also, I want to test my Chun/Dante/Trish team against you Forest.:)

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I've not been playing too hard recently, but I have some nice light phoenix going on. I'm really hitting a wall with Ammy openers, I need to watch some videos or something because hanson's Akuma is tearing me a new one but otherwise he sucks a D.

Either way we should try to get some practice in before the weekend or friday because I'm going to enter the tulsa thing on Saturday. Zinth said he wants to make both tournaments, so thats 1 for the carpool. My girlfriend said if there is a spot in the carpool she would like to go if there is gonna be pools, otherwise she'd play friendlies or if your carpool overflowed she might run a second one.

I'd really like to see us represent in Melee, I know AR is okay, but TN will be there and they will **** so lets get some Melee in next week too!

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i don't really want to be a debby downer but intimikill was my little project to kind of get over ohsnap being taken from me and the others who started it without any consultation/previous involvement...i sincerely hope it is not hijacked, too.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Alex thats why I put the planning thread up before anyone made any decisions because I know people are already involved in the tradition of Intimikill, and I didn't want the same thing to happen to the series as upset Oh Snap a few years back. Its not my series to take, but I just really want to continue it to keep it going and keep attendance up. I'd be happy to wait for you if you want to participate or help TO. Just let me know what you think. You also have my number feel free to call if you want to discuss stuff with us down here in OK.

Gravity

Smash Ace
sorry to be ******** but i havent checked here in a while.

is there a link or some info for tulsa this weekend? i might be able to go.

also i played the new mortal kmobat demo yesterday. it kicks ***.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I want to play Marvel 3 anymore...like...I'm really considering it.

I agree with Forest. **** Capcom.

WHY THE ****. WOULD YOU GIVE SENTINEL LESS HEALTH THAN RYU?!!"

That's not the problem with this game!

Fix the hitboxes!
Lower the damage!
Make it to where combos work every single time and instead of randomly dropping whenever the game feels like it!

Also...I was playing against my friend Matt just now. It was his Sentinel vs my Trish. I went for a jump H and died...He called me up and asked "what just happend?! I didn't even push anything!"

So yeah...apparently now with this patch you can die for no reason...yay.

I'm going to take a nap now...

/end rant

Top Bottom