• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Eh does anyone here own Enslaved: Odyssey to the West or Vanquish? Really wanna play those games.

As well as Limbo, but no 360 = No limbo :(

Also watching fatalities for the new MK9 made me want to hide my kids.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Enslaved is trash. Ninja Theory is ****ing worthless, **** them, I hate them. No one should buy any of their products, don't ruin the gaming industry by purchasing anything from Ninja Theory Yawara, please. If they **** up the new DmC I will never EVER forgive anyone paying for a Ninja Theory title...ever. Someone bought too many copys of Heavenly Suck and Enslaved: Odysucck to the **** and now Crapcom is going to let them destroy the best, and my most loved 3d action franchise. As I see it, *** western developers are lowering standards in action so the Japanese don't have to make as good of a product to compete.

Vanquish on the other hand, well thats Platinum, what too many Ninja Theory customers only wish they would have supported. Vanquish (which sadly I do not own) is a superb title, a third person shooter that requires style and skill, is frantic, refined, and beautiful. I'm really looking forward to Anarchy Reigns, if a game like that can possibly be played online without crippling lag though I don't know.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
DMC was no longer the be-all, end-all action title for me after playing Bayonetta. I still love the original, and DMC3 is the pinnacle of the series, but 4 left me wanting... A truly great series, even in its worst moments, should never leave the player with a feeling of 'Huh? So that's it?"

I just don't trust anyone outside of Platinum, Game Freak or Nintendo to make truly good games anymore. Konami seems to be going okay, but they seem to be living off of other developers' takes on their franchises, and lack the creativity(or guts) to try anything new. Capcom continues to prove their ineptitude at every given moment... I knew once they canned the Clover guys(many of whom now work for Platinum Games) they would begin to fail. SquareEnix... L-O-L. The last thing they did right was The World Ends with You... and that came out in 2008.

Sigh, I guess it's a good thing I don't game as much these days... I'd be thoroughly bored and disappointed...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Whatever Po, you know you can't wait for some of the PS3 titles coming out this year.

Like the sequel to Shadow of the Colossus, the Guardian or whatever it's called? And isn't That Game Company releasing a new one later this year?

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, most the more classic feeling stuff is on DS these days, and soon to be on 3DS. Lots of great titles (Mega Man ZX games are perhaps the best in the series).
I think alot of the problems we are seeing aren't just due to commercial and globalizing factors, but also that console hardware is almost 6 years old now. Developers have never become so comfortable with hardware, which might have a counterintuitive effect, new hardware has always inspired developers to try new things, I think the old hardware has put eveyrone in their comfort zone and they are just kinda like well go for the 500k-1m seller easymode title that we already know how to develop...meanwhile I await the Last Guardian...and somewhere lurking in the future that high definition zelda title. Hopefully Nintendo's hardware upgrade wth the 3DS and perhaps a new console wll infuse some new blood into this *****.

I expect Final Fantasy Versus XIII to be much better than the last 2 final fantasy's, the RPG genre is in a terrible state worldwide, (despite people ****ting their pants over boring bioware titles). Yeah FFXIII had alot of problems, but what I will give it is that it TRIED to speed things up and streamline them. Versus looks like a smoother more actiony experience.

Meanwhile, the DMC3/4 team is working on that Dragon Dogma game...which might be cool but once again looks to cater to western elements...then there is the godhand followup...Asura's Wrath, of which we have seen no gameplay yet...(waits impatiently)

There are alot of great developers out there, they just aren't the big names were used to. Arc System Works (and publisher Aksys) are doing great things Aksys is localizing intersting japanese titles like Arcana Heart. Meanwhile, Kojima Studios is working on two SUPPOSEDLY FACE **** AWESOME TITLES one of which is secret kojima non-metal gear project and one of which is mother ****ing MGS RISING!

TL:DR ninja theory sucks.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I just think that there are other aspects of new games that have taken a boost. Like all other things, developers respond to fads, and I think the big fad right now is extra attention towards the way stories can be narrated in games which I am a fan of. Has gameplay taken a step back? Maybe, but I feel like developers are just sticking to what works right now so they can focus on cleaning up on other faults that may have plagued them.

Also, someone has to get Heathq up to Norman to play. He's really good, and he'll give you great Falco/Marth practice.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Gay. Who plays Tekken this kos-mos character looks cool! Alisa.
I really became disinterested in Tekken after T4 (which sucked) I'm hoping Tekken Tag 2 can get me interested again, I just feel 3D fighters aren't that smooth. Anarchy Reigns...thats like a fighter thats really 3D right?

EDIT: Oh **** pokemon Dreamworld is open!
Its like a facebook pokemon world. Conceptually this is pretty cool. Its kinda tedious right now but I like the online integration concepts.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I never like Metroid so my opinion's skewed on two of the above. I also didn't like Ninja Gaiden so there :/

BTW, I can't get timing down in SSFIV at all. I have no idea when **** cancels outside of specials, supers, and ultras. Also, I can't FADC.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I can't get the timing down in SSFIV. My 3DS copy is for sale for like $5 off if you want it Yawara, no matter how much I play it I find it mechanically limited, graphically uneventful, and otherwise boring. I've also not had a very good experience trying to mesh with related communities. The timing on the links is super strict, and you have to work your *** off to get it for a less than spectacular result. The training mode should have flashes on the command bar at the right frames, because nothing ****ing cancels there needs to be more description on how to play the damn game. Just drop this assfest and play Arcana Heart 3 with us next week!

Retro Studios is great! I really dislike Ninja Gaiden as an action game (much better than anything from Ninja Theory mind you) but I haven't played Other M much so I can't make a sound judgement on their current state. I know Itageki is gone, but he sucked anyway and is busy making a brand new suckfest.

Valve, well they are valve, and while CS and HL are okay, Portal is their better title, still I never feel in awe or particularly immersed when playing their games.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dude, first time Half-Life 2 came out, the style of presentation that was introduced had me ****ing dying in amazement. I agree that Portal is the most interesting of their games.

Also, cheers of Atlus?

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Retro Studios did an excellent job with the MP trilogy. IMO the best Metroid games. People who like the older sidescrollers better are entitled to their opinion.
Team Ninja did a great job with Other M, although I think they could have used a slightly less green shade of yellow on Samus. Ninja Gaiden was neat too.
I like Valve for their concepts and fun gameplay. Team Fortress is hella fun (on the console, mind you), Portal is the coolest thing I've ever played, and Half Life is really cool too. I like their attention to detail and all of the little unimportant things they put into games.

I'm also the guy who's gonna come in here and be like "lolmg Bungie"

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I'm not a fan of the old Metroid games either. The only Metroid I liked was Fusion, and even then, I might re-consider my feelings as ambivalent.

I just don't wanna keep dungeon crawling for so-and-so weapon and constantly back tracking to get keys for door X,Y,Z. Also, I don't find Samus that interesting as a character nor the world she inhabits to be interesting. :/

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Metroid Prime is a particularly influential and rarely matched first person adventure. Have you played that? Its part of a long line of successful and influential 3D transitions of Nintendo games (Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, etc.) I don't think i've seen another first person game with as much variety in play control or as much structure as Metroid Prime.

I can see how the "find a weapon in a dungeon" structure could be unappealing to some, but its much more interesting and thoughtful than "shoot stuff, get to point B, shoot more stuff). There are puzzles, and side puzzles that provide upgrades and tangible rewards that allow you to have more freedom in combat situations to play as you would like as well as explore new areas and lore. The upgrades don't just making combat easier, as it might in say, Call of Duty where you simply get a bigger gun. Missile capacity upgrades don't just give you more missiles, they provide freedom to play the game as you wish. For instance if you like the plasma beam then you can use the super plasma beam more, or if you like freezing enemies and running through the room with navigational precision and speed you can do that too, or bait enemies into supermorphball bombs. I think the studio is talented, I think the DKC returns level design was pretty good, I would go so far as to say that Retro did a much better job with the property than Rare did back in 1995. I'm not saying that everyone has to like the game, what I am saying is the studio has given us quality titles and shown they have even versatility moving from Quake III development, to a new and innovative modern first person adventure, to classic platformer, more so than most popular studios these days.

What I really want to see is Nintendo to put Retro Studios on a new Zelda title, get it out of Nintendo EAD and Eiji Aonuma before it gets too stale. Skyward Sword is probably as far as they can carry the Windwaker inspiration line. Somewhere in a dream Nintendo gave Zelda to Platinum Games for an unofficial Okami 2 called Zelda

ALEX arent you coming to play with us tonight or something?

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Goddamnit, I want to register my Pokemon Black with the Pokemon Global Link, but OU's ****** Wifi isn't letting me do so.

I might swing by the Union for a bit later tonight, but I have an exam and a homework due tomorrow so I can't make a committed visit.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
While I understand where you're coming from in your defense of the Prime series, my point is that item collection in and of itself to get from point A to B is a re-hashed mechanic that isn't entertaining and shouldn't be the main tool used to progress the game forward. And I think all of the Metroid games encapsulate that train of thought.

The idea that general freedom in and of itself is a rewarding and interesting game mechanic. Especially today, creating games with the intent of making them expressively linear is boring since there are so many games that allow for such greater environmental exploration from the get go. While other games mask its get X to go to point A style gameplay, the Metroid series seems to relish in its association with it. And that's really what I don't like about the series.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Its a difficult mechanic to shake, most of real life, and indeed most activities require that go to places and you get stuff. Its what you do with the stuff thats exciting I guess. Maybe getting stuff is boring or overdone, but wouldn't it be even gayer if stuff just appeared in your inventory whenever you wanted it? There has to be some kind of goal. Getting stuff, going places, and killing things are the main 3 goals in video games, the story is in the journey.

Obviously metroid has a primary focus on this activity progression, but name a sound actionadventure game with polished environments, level design, combat systems, and enemy designs that doesn't require you to get stuff to go somewhere? Its just the underlying navigational structure, which in the end is a small part of the game. Usually you have to fight a boss to get the real forward moving items. The mechanics are tight. The get X to go to point A isn't something that Retro designed, its something that they added to while working the framework of the series they were developing for. I think Retro shouldn't be judged negatively by the fact they they required you to pick up items to progress in Metroid.

If you have a recommendation to obtain required items without traveling too them or grinding XP/Money for them (an even more mundane mechanic) that'd be great. You need to join me and cats in developing your game concept of muses (I'll be there to make sure we don't forget to make it fun for those that skip the cutscenes and mash X through the text)

And I definitely need to fight your falcon because Ace is too good.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dude, there's a reason why I think Shadow of Colossus resonates with so many people, and it's because it allowed for freedom of movement and usage of its equipment without the unnecessary task of grinding to get them.

Even though that game isn't a true action game (more of a big, monolithic and dynamic puzzle game), that's the kind of adventure game direction that I look forward to seeing. Getting alternate upgrades is one thing, but having to routinely get alternate weapons just to clear one part of your adventure really isn't fun to me.

What I want for adventure games is for it to feel organic and less scientific. Less number crunching on what weapons do more hurting and more about controlling your character's actions to complete whatever task you need to complete. In a backwards way of approaching it, you know how most games feature protagonists that gather items to defeat simplistic antagonists?

I want the protagonist to be equipped with what he's got, the freedom to use those weapons is up to the user to decide. Meanwhile, the antagonists keep getting better equipped or stronger or smarter. It's up to the player to adapt with his limited tools in order to defeat them. I think that sounds better. Even if the upgrade is as simple as chestplate + armor or being faster with magic, I think it's an alternate route that's more fun to approach.

------------

Also does anyone know who the best Dudley player is?

And I'll bounce the ideas for this new idea to you Forest, but the idea of uninhibited combat with absolute freedom of motion bolstered by environmental interaction while adapting to your enemies sounds interesting to me. I wanna build that game as an action game. But the only way that'll work out is if you can create a fighting system that's strategic and visually impressive based on the weapons that are offered. Just strategically getting behind someone and stabbing them isn't nearly as gratifying as hyper acrobatic maneuvers into a cinematic deathblow, right?

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I like Vanillaware... Muramasa is a fantastic, beautiful 2D sidescroller for Wii that has a great style. Retro is cool, and I've enjoyed the Prime series. Team Ninja is full of misogynistic douchebags who think they're cool but aren't. Valve is a good studio, but like most Western developers, their games are fun, but seem to lack charm.

Yes, I'm an annoying old relic who can't let go of his fondness for the 16-bit era. For me, 1993-2003 was the apex of modern gaming. Yes, we've gotten some gems since then, and things are looking up for PS3 at least, but I can't shake this feeling that no one out there (save for the handful of developers I've mentioned) is really trying anymore.

Pokemon Dream World is open?! Shoot, I need to hop on that ish today!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
It's too expensive to stay in the game man, but just wait. There's plenty of ideas out there, but like many genres, the indie subset just has to become popular again, and sooner or later, those will become the breakout smash hits.

OMG PO HAS THE BEST AVATAR

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Yeah Bryan is definitely a Pokemaniac, as well as Forest. I think like 85% of all Smashers are Poke-Nerds. I even rock my Pokewalker at work(since I spend so much time walking to and fro, I get a LOT of watts built up), but I forgot to take it off my belt today and caught a little flak from my lady friend :p

Yo! There's a dude I work with named Andrew who is weird and has red hair... He's also fat, lol. Pablo and I are convinced that if he and Andy were ever in the same place at the same time the universe would implode...

The Apocalypse will be caused by the incidental meeting of two similar gingers with the same name, BET IT.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I love pokemon as well, unfortunately I can't play the new game cause the 3DS won't allow for it T_T

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Indie games are only popular because they are cheap, most of them are ***. Everday Shooter being the first non-*** exception.

Why can't you Dreamworld on 3DS?

I've been really excited about entering teams since Oh Snap v_v,,,

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Trolling Sonic. http://kotaku.com/#!5791923/sonic-really-is-like-a-****ty-hamburger

[collapse=But the truth is:]
[/collapse]

I hope one day I don't have to see one of these for Zelda. So far they keep the mainline releases a good 3 years apart at least, but a couple of years ago we had Tingle making it into multiple games and no adolescent/mature link in sight. Twilight Princess was quite good, but the wolf mechanic kinda sucked. I feel that without new blood after Skyward Sword which looks alright we could see a decline. Aonuma is reaching the age that Miyamota was when he hung it up, time to pass it on (to Platinum games, Naa mean?) Of my top 3 or 4 series, it looks like only one is intentionally pushing new gameplay themes with new staff leaders, thats Metal Gear.

RISING ZOMG 2012 HYPE
Bryan find a tournament you can go to soon I'm getting a car that holds more than 1 person.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I actually enjoyed the Wolf portions except for searching for the light tear things.
However, there were portions where I could tell the game was rushed, and they could have done more. As much as I want Skyward Sword right now, I'm half-glad they're taking their time, and I'm really looking forward to these Wii Motion Plus controls.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I just didn't like how easy TP was. But the wolf parts were fairly uninspired. I was at least expecting faster paced combat, but instead, it was the same fighting style that regular Link would adopt.

I'm just saying that reading Animorphs has taught me that if you had super animal powers, you probably would fight more like an animal, and that's what I was expecting.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
****ing Tobias got stuck as a Hawk man, that **** is sad.

Also Axe was a prince or whatever.

Also Karl, you should learn SSFIV with me and Andy =O

HOLLAAAAAAA

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
>The game does its best not to resemble its ancestor so as to not be seen as a rehash.
>Game makes it easier so as to cater to a broader audience, as the Gamecube was coming to a close, and the Wii's primary objective was to appeal to a loooooot of people.
>Game gets released.
>Game veterans who have played the other 15 Zelda games beforehand, and have such learned the basic controls for a Zelda game, and know what they have to do, throw a conniption when they see it as being too easy.

The reason the game is rated T is because Link resembles a human and his primary weapon is sword. Humanoid presence + weapons almost assures a T under the ESRB guidelines.

Top Bottom