• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
Bryan, when would you be able to hold said breaking in? I'm thinking I'll be in OKC Tuesday, but I have to be in tulsa Thursday night to watch the midnight showing of batman lol. After that I'm free and can do whatever :D

:phone:

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Bryan, when would you be able to hold said breaking in? I'm thinking I'll be in OKC Tuesday, but I have to be in tulsa Thursday night to watch the midnight showing of batman lol. After that I'm free and can do whatever :D

Wednesday (the 18th) would be ideal, because Andy is off work then and we'd have some time to set up and get stuff moved in (Cactuarz, our fourth roommate, arrives on the 17th).

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I believe I still have the one that Tom gave me, Coty. Which by the way, I hung out and partied with Sean while in Vegas for EVO. He said to tell you what's up and that he's taking good care of your Gamecube, lol.
I'll tell you all about it when I see you.

BTW, my brother saw DJ Qualls on an episode of Supernatural and said, "That guy looks like Coty without his glasses."
I laughed...

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I also have a tri-wing screwdriver.

Brandon, I want to see the OKC crew show up to our Norman Smashfest on Wednesday! I'll get you the address, just hit me up somehow.

xXout_lawXx

Smash Cadet
I will try to make it wednesday.

Coty, I can play you in some mvc. I'm not amazing but I am not bad.

So is anyone else pumped for Persona areana?

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking the melee tier list is like:

SS: Really good right now and I think they'll just keep getting better
-peach
-jiggs
-falco

S: just not as devastating as the SS rank
-fox

A: fading away :(
-marth
-sheik

B/C/E:
-everyone else, i'm too lazy to rank them properly, as the top will just expose them all indiscriminately. I know these characters have tools and strats, though you got to be on spot, and that's if you even get the chance to be.

flame away!

edit: I'm crossing my fingers to get a P4A scene here, though that didn't seem to go so well with blazblue...

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I would say that Fox is in SS and that Sheik is in S. It is, however, true that at one of the most recent tournaments, Impulse, Mango had better success with Falco than with Fox, but it could be the case that he is just better with Falco. Fox is just way too good to be anything but SS, though, even if he hasn't been winning national tournaments. Sheik has also been doing fairly well in top-level play, though, but I don't feel that she's quite as good as the SS characters, but still above everything below them. She might also possibly be SS, though. I think I would put Falcon in the A-list with Marth, but maybe not quite.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
I will try to make it wednesday.

Coty, I can play you in some mvc. I'm not amazing but I am not bad.

So is anyone else pumped for Persona areana?
Also, I don't have a stick, I've been borrowing Tai's, as I'm waiting until I can afford a hit-box. I'm hoping somebody has an extra lol

I disagree with Mr. Washed-Up. Sheik and Marth still got it, I think it's more that they've fallen in popularity rather than in metagame. And fox will always be top tier :p

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I also want P4A to do well, but like Pablo said, the chance of Oklahoma having any kind of scene for it is kinda slim.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Oh you guys and your *grumble grumble* over Oklahoma Apathy... I know OK isn't exactly the Avalon of Fighting Games(I've poked fun at this enough times over the years), but even after all the failures, I can't help but feel like there's a lot of untapped potential in this state.

From Smash to Marvel, KOF to SF, Tekken to VF, hell, even those kawaii-neku-desu-chan Anime fighters, I KNOW there are players. We're just all too separate and close-minded to other games. While I've been in a funk over the last several months, I have observed the differing thoughts of each community. There are at least twenty currently active players that I know of in Oklahoma between the various games(not counting Smashers)... Of that twenty, how many of them(or you) actually try other games? I can count them on one hand mostly.

That's not even the real problem. I always hear the same complaints of "there are no events for my game." Bull****. How many of you outside of Tom and Will actually travel to stuff or host events? Even worse, how many of you actually ATTEND anything? I'm talking casual gatherings and such... Outlaw has offered to host stuff on multiple occasions, and no ever goes.(On that note, apologizes, Outlaw, but I haven't been up to it lately.)It seems if it ain't in Norman, no one gives a ****. There's been several OK Gamers events in Tulsa over this year(there's one next week at Tokyo in Tulsa as well, people are willing to go to Anime Cons, but getting better at my game of choice, oh hell no...), and no one ever goes. A 90 minute drive, and no one ever goes... God help if there's an event farther than that...
Whether its for Brawl, Marvel, or whatever, I understand maybe it's not your game, but maybe if you actually branched out, you might be able to make some new friends to game with.

I've gone on long enough, I'm tired of ranting the same thing every few months. But ALL OF YOU have to ask yourselves some questions. The same questions I asked of myself while I was at EVO...

"Why do I play this game?"

"Do I want to be the best, or am I satisfied where I am right now?"

"How hard am I willing to work?"

"How far do I want to go?"

"Do I still have fun playing?"

Ask those questions, and be HONEST with yourself. No one's going to shun you if you just like to fart around and do the occasional combo or two. The problem comes in when you claim to be competitive, but don't do anything of the sort. There's a reason all the best players are contemplating moving away from Oklahoma... Maybe people should start upping their effort levels...

Before its too late.

Dove

Smash Cadet
norman has come up to edmond this summer for melee, actually. we're just trying to get the okc scene back into it. *ahem*

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
I would say that Fox is in SS and that Sheik is in S. It is, however, true that at one of the most recent tournaments, Impulse, Mango had better success with Falco than with Fox, but it could be the case that he is just better with Falco. Fox is just way too good to be anything but SS, though, even if he hasn't been winning national tournaments. Sheik has also been doing fairly well in top-level play, though, but I don't feel that she's quite as good as the SS characters, but still above everything below them. She might also possibly be SS, though. I think I would put Falcon in the A-list with Marth, but maybe not quite.
I probably should of done "plus" and "minus" for better ranking. Sheik would be A+.

I had to watch some Impulse matches, didn't know about it. Mango's style is amusing, despite that he doesn't particularly maximizes cutting edge falco technology (which I referenced completely from DrPP's Falco in his dittos). He just gets wins in some seemingly strange roundabout ways...

I'd like to actually analyze competitive gaming, and discover as much tech as I can for anyone that would like me to help them improve... Like if I was some kind of Ash Ketchum of the FGC world, and you all are my Oklah-mons. Though since I am most familiar with Melee, I think that'll be a good start.

I disagree with Mr. Washed-Up. Sheik and Marth still got it, I think it's more that they've fallen in popularity rather than in metagame. And fox will always be top tier :p
Oh, they are still good, though I would definitely feel safer betting on a jiggs/peach/falco to take a major. I think that the way the metagame is shifting lately favors these stage controlling monsters.

Peach is also underrepresented, though that's understandable when you can pick the much more manlier C.Falcon.

I've gone on long enough, I'm tired of ranting the same thing every few months. But ALL OF YOU have to ask yourselves some questions. The same questions I asked of myself while I was at EVO...

1) too many reasons
2) 'Da Bess', in fact, INVINCIBLE. Either way, I'm not opposed to going to tournaments even though I know I'll lose.
3) If you only mean skill in the game rather than community efforts, If I had things my way I'd practice everyday, along with everything else I enjoy.
4) As long as I find the game and community enjoyable, I'll keep going
5) I have fun throughout the process, albeit different kinds of fun. Training mode, the satisfaction of pulling off a mean combo, testing yourself, etc. Though I think it really depends on if you think it's all worth it, because it can be discouraging if you tried real hard but don't meet your goals.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
How did I know Pablo would be the one to answer those questions out loud?

I appreciate your input, playa. You and Chris especially know how strongly I feel about these things. I've been frustrated with my inability to get better due to the "real world" issues I've had over the past few months, but as with every other challenge I've faced, I will ALWAYS get back up to continue the fight. It will not be an excuse for scrubbery.

I've said it before-- I don't play to win, or to achieve any accolades. My personal goal has always been to enjoy myself fully.
For me, that means attempting surpass myself by challenging stronger and better opponents. I know it sounds cliche and almost corny, but I don't think anyone who has gotten good at anything has ever done so simply to win. There has to be some kind of personal stake, some inner challenge to meet that drives them. Winning is a result of that kind of focus, that level of drive.

That's part of why I get so hype over the little things like a well-placed uppercut or a MISFIRE! at just the right time... It's those moments, when I and my character get everything lined up just right and overcome our weaknesses to deliver in that one Crowning Moment of Awesome, that I live for.
Playing at my absolute best against someone at their own best is unlike anything else. To pit our skill against one another in ballet of mental and technical agility is remarkable.

To force the hand of the best player in the world into coming at me full force. To have a world champion acknowledge my ability... To make everyone in the room smile and light up with one word... That's what being competitive is to me. I don't want that to ever change. That is why I react the way I do when I see apathetic postings and people who don't realize how good they have it.

Very few of you know what its like to have no one to play... To have to drive three to four hours just to get your *** kicked because there is NO other option. I bet if you did, you would understand why I am upset at the lay of the land. 18-year old Po would laugh at you all if he were to witness all the wasted potential here. He would laugh, go to Texas, get stomped in tournament, and then talk **** to everyone he lost to about how he would come back and kick their *****.

And he'd do it.
He'd figure out matchups, learn strategies and perfect his execution. He'd get better after every loss, not complain about how outmatched he is and wish he could win. He'd FIND a way to win, no matter what... and everyone here would stay at their current level wondering how he got so good.

That's all I'm trying to get across. If people want to be upset with me for saying what I said, fine. I hope to heaven someone here proves me wrong. However, I'm betting it won't be any of the people that are upset with what I've been saying.

It's a damn shame when you play someone really good, and they ask you where you're from, then you say, "Oklahoma" and they get this blank look. Then they ask you how you got good playing literally no one and all you can do is shrug you shoulders and say, "I really don't know."

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to actually analyze competitive gaming, and discover as much tech as I can for anyone that would like me to help them improve... Like if I was some kind of Ash Ketchum of the FGC world, and you all are my Oklah-mons. Though since I am most familiar with Melee, I think that'll be a good start.
Dude, let's do it. I've been working really hard at improving my game analysis/understanding skills this summer, and I want to collaborate with anyone possible on this topic. I actually think that all of OK should collaborate on a project where we pool all of our game understanding and work to push the collective understanding further, or, as one might say, beyond the bounds.

Po, you've made a lot of good points about improvement and stuff, but I also think that a number of us are more active than you are aware. Take me, for example. I've been spending a lot of time and effort this summer working to understand the technical and interplayer mechanics of the game, and I feel that, after 7 years of competitive Smash, I'm finally headed in the right direction for improvement (not that I haven't been improving during that time, but just not as much as I could have been if I had spent my efforts focusing on different things). I've been watching videos at 1/4 speed, taking physical notes about the game, experimenting with things in Action Replay, and I even read Sirlin's book, "Playing to Win" (which can be read for free online at http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/ -- I think it's worth a read for anyone who wants to step up his/her game, at least for someone like me who generally doesn't know a lot about competitive gaming). I've finally started to really branch out in the characters I practice. I feel as though my efforts have become purposeful. Perhaps more important than anything, I've developed the right attitude and maturity about competition and the path of improvement (I love getting 2-stocked!). I also play typically play with Norman and Edmond players at least once a week each (which makes us all active players). Beyond me, Hazy has been training up the rest of us Edmond players, Outlaw has been making constant improvement (and his crew has introduces a number of new players, who are progressing through the initial phases of learning the game competitively), Norman has traveled to Edmond multiple times this summer, and vice-versa.

Now, I want to see the OKC Scene (I'm calling out Pablo, Chris, Babac, Pay$, and, of course, the one and only Po Pimpus) step it up and make a showing at the Smashfest this Wednesday that Andy (who, it turns out, will actually be working that day :(), Karl, and I are hosting at the house in Norman we recently rented! It sounds like Coty is confirmed and Edmond is highly interested. Cactuarz, a player from Oregon, will also be newly moved into OK, so we've got to welcome the OK newcomer and show him how we do things around here. We also need to break in our new place, and what better way to do it? It's time to get big, OKC! You know how big!

The address is 1603 Oakwood Drive, Norman, OK. It will, again, be on Wednesday, July 18 (that's this Wednesday!). People can basically show up whenever.

Also, I watched this whole damn thing today: http://www.twitch.tv/fuzzyness/b/324980290 . It's the recording of the stream for Melee singles at the Smashers Reunion tournament in Europe, which Dr. PeePee attended. The grand finals are insane. I also find European commentary to be a lot more entertaining than American commentary, which I often cannot stand.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
It's a damn shame when you play someone really good, and they ask you where you're from, then you say, "Oklahoma" and they get this blank look. Then they ask you how you got good playing literally no one and all you can do is shrug you shoulders and say, "I really don't know."
LOL @ my EVO experience.

I will be perfectly honest. I stopped playing melee competitively for sometime now, and put my entire focus on 2D fighters. I will still play with you guys for fun, but I have no intention of playing it seriously again.

The only way you MIGHT see me back in the scene...

Is if Namco Bandai put KOS-MOS in the next SSB, because then I'll have no choice but to play it.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i actually enjoy staying in the shadows, but i suppose thats just me. Also its probably worth noting that none of it would have happened if it werent for the determined like hanson.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
The next SSB will be to brawl what brawl was to melee, me thinks.

Also, I am indeed confirmed for Wednesday, but I'm planning on arriving at OKC tomorrow afternoon *cough* attn:Chris *cough *.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman

Best game ever...

Just lemme know when you want to come by Coty. I get off work at noon tomorrow, so feel free to drop by anytime after that.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, I have class Wednesday evening, but if you guys are still playing after 10pm, I may just be able to show up. Bryan, I'm glad to see that there is an active movement to improve again. I was worried that people were getting too complacent. I will make an effort to come out to more stuff. I hope that my words are not taken badly, but I only want to see Oklahoma as a whole reach its full potential.

It's like I always say, "Sometimes, you just gotta punch a ***** in the face." If it makes someone upset, so be it. At least I know you're actually capable of something more than apathy.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Its fun :D

Yeah but not really THE best just one of them. Pretty much I want to be respected for my gameplay

Til the wheels fall off lol

To top baybeh!

Back then in 2010- early 2011 no the game started to look way stale to me everytime I tried to play in a fun interesting way it seemed to be shunned by playing more boring (planking,scrooging,purposesly running out the timer etc.) that even I ended up doing it I would never try at MU's I would just CP you....laaaaame I just decided to be more open minded about the game like you can play this way or that.
I love fighting games but I still don't get 2D fighters for the life of me lol I still play Melty Blood alot though just for fun it brings back memories when I wanted to go to tourneys but didn't know about the scene but I used to look at FAQs on the internet on how to do combos and technical things and just do that alllll day lol.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I will be perfectly honest. I stopped playing melee competitively for sometime now, and put my entire focus on 2D fighters. I will still play with you guys for fun, but I have no intention of playing it seriously again.
That's understandable, bro. Playing 2D fighters will definitely get you more than playing Smash. You've definitely got to hang out with us sometime, though, and we can usually get some people playing whichever games you're into at Smashfests. I'm also interested in learning more about the inter-player dynamics in other fighting games. Competitive games in general are interesting to me, it's just that I have limited time to invest in them because of college and stuff.

The next SSB will be to brawl what brawl was to melee, me thinks.
Lol, **** dude, I hope not; it would be completely unplayable competitively, then! That is certainly a possibility, though, but it's not what I myself predict to happen. I was expecting it before the announcement that Namco-Bandai would be developing it, but reading up on that announcement has improved the outlook for me.

Unfortunately, I have class Wednesday evening, but if you guys are still playing after 10pm, I may just be able to show up. Bryan, I'm glad to see that there is an active movement to improve again. I was worried that people were getting too complacent. I will make an effort to come out to more stuff. I hope that my words are not taken badly, but I only want to see Oklahoma as a whole reach its full potential.
Word, what kind of class(es) are you taking? We'll also definitely still be playing after 10pm. Also, during the summer, we're pretty much always available, so we could definitely coordinate a day when you all can visit.

I'm going to learn Starcraft, mainly to develop the mental multitasking skills required to play it well (so I can put equations in my equations and solve equations while I solve equations), but also because it's an awesome game. Melee still has front seat, though.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I am studying Graphic Design at DeVry, Bryan. Trying to get a decent paying job using these artistic skills of mine.

Smash 4: I'm not holding any expectations whatsoever. I think a lot of peoples' anger and disappointment with Sakurai and Brawl is merely a result of their own unrealistic expectations not being met. That and tripping being the most ******** thing ever, but hey.
Whatever the case, I look forward to see how the competitive Smash community ruins that game as they have with Brawl.

Just a casual glance at some of the wishlists in the Smash 4 forum are a wonderful indicator of the massive amounts of salt and tears that will flow once the game is released. People actually want Bowser Jr. as a playable character?

*Insert Michael Jackson eating popcorn GIF here*

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
But good **** to Po for getting that degree dude, I 100% support that.

With regards to the new smash, I bought a freaking wii because I thought Brawl would be the ****. I was wrong, and I spent money on a wii which was also not that awesome of an investment. All I know is that I'm not even sold on the wiiU yet, so the chances of me even getting the new smash game is in and of itself slim.

Also, I've been playing P4, and it's pretty fun. I won't say it's easy atm, but it felt easy? Even when I played in Osaka it felt easy, but who knows, maybe no one's actually serious at the game so no one's good.

Also, I got watch some of the top SFIV players play at Osaka. Their fingers move like nothing I've seen before, and some of the no names play crazzzzy characters really well like T-hawk and ****.

And Bryan, if you're playing SC2, hit me up. That game is really, really fun. Just frustrating cause the plateaus are harder to overcome than most games. Also, it takes a lot of time to play.

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
I blame myself for this scenedeath. NAA but really I hope my plans for tonight fall through so I can go to Norman. Are there still brawl smashfests? lol, me and gmo moving back to nompton to run this ****.

also I don't think I'll ever see Yawara again. and sc2 is the greatest

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
And Bryan, if you're playing SC2, hit me up. That game is really, really fun. Just frustrating cause the plateaus are harder to overcome than most games. Also, it takes a lot of time to play.
I just ordered the game, so I'm officially going to be playing it. I'll definitely be hitting you, KP, and Grant up about it.

That's cool that you're studying graphic design, Po. This Fall I'm taking a graduate Computer Science course called Computer Graphics which has the following course description: An introduction to computer graphics. Topics include coordinate systems, transformations, rendering in both two and three dimensions, and graphical programming. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm guessing that what you're taking is more of an arts approach and what I'll be taking is more of a technical approach.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dang, didn't really realize it, but I'm coming back home in less than a month. I wanna play some gamezzzzz.

Karl's not invited.

Top Bottom