• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
If I run P4A, can you guys help provide setups? Honestly, I've never run a traditional 2d fighter tourney....not sure how this goes :/

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
quick, let's hide in this barrel, like the wily fish

i could potentially be in norman saturday but i dunno. as for tonight i don't have a ride. there's a birthday party tonight that i think i'll even skip because i feel like balls. outlaw and co got to see hazy beast half a bottle of vodka straight, i looked trashed but only because i was so tired - i felt fine. but then i woke up today and fuuuuu not a full hangover but my head. my head. my head hurts. halp plz.

ohaidare lurking OOSers!

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
edit: Brian, SF4 is kinda clean cut like Smash64 (which i think you'd like), who did you use?
Just Ryu -- I really want to learn the fundamentals right now, but I want to continue learning. It is really clean-cut, which is something that I actually like.

If I had a car, I would drive us to Edmond to Smash.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
When we have a venue actually reserved. Nothing is guaranteed until that is done. I'd like to get that OU discount, but I am not a student, so I need a current student to help me there. If I can't do that, then I'll just go ahead and reserve the room myself come Monday.

How does everyone feel about a $5 venue, $10 per tournament pricing? Payouts would be a 70-20-10 setup. Current standard rules, unless the people want something different.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
this is going to be at least the 5th time i say this but:

OU students can reserve specific rooms in the union for free. Others, they can reserve for a discount. All prices can be found on the official website of the OU student union.

start communicating. everyone that goes to ou, if you want to see this tournament happen - pm brandon about reserving a room, and start working it out. this way the tournament can have a cheaper venue cost, perhaps none.

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
Well look ill try and see if we can do the venue I had in mind.... By Sunday. Itd be a nice place. It's big too. So ill see what I can do

:phone:

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Is anything going down in Norman tonight? Because I'm thinking about coming down... Can work out some ideas for this tourney while I'm there as well as punch some people in the face.

Gotta kick it with my boy Yawara as well ;)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
How does everyone feel about a $5 venue, $10 per tournament pricing? Payouts would be a 70-20-10 setup. Current standard rules, unless the people want something different.
60-30-10 is standard nowadays...70-20 kinda shafts second place.

If I run P4A, can you guys help provide setups? Honestly, I've never run a traditional 2d fighter tourney....not sure how this goes :/
Its pretty simple. P4A (and most traditional fighters in general) are built to be competitive, so there aren't any special rulesets or anything you need. Standard smash style 2/3 double elim brackets with 3/5 finals is pretty much all there is to it. Only real thing worth consideration is whether to run it on 360 or PS3.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so Yawara and Kuni showed up because they thought people were coming, and then left because they didn't think anyone was going to show up (pretty soon before I woke up and went out expecting to greet them). Shortly after, Chris, Pablo, and Po showed up because they thought people were going to be here, but it was only Cactuarz and I, and then they just left back to OKC. All the meanwhile, Cactuarz and I (and probably Andy and Karl, too, but they were at work anyway), the residents of the meeting place in question, were not aware that people were actually coming over.

I'm not angry, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but we all (the OK Melee scene) need to practice better communication when meeting up. Every time something like this has happened, it's been because there wasn't enough communication. At the very least, there should have been a post here indicating definite plans for meeting at our place, but really I should also have been notified directly (e.g., by phone/text) at some point (you can pretty much always count on a response from me).

Now, I can imagine what all the loose wires were that led to this communication breakdown (e.g., people not knowing that people didn't know), but we can avoid situations like this in the future if everyone individually make sure that the communication lines are established between all parties (even if we know this leads to some information redundancy -- in fact, all the better). Definite plans should be posted in this thread. If heading to my (and Andy, Karl, and Cactuarz's) place, send Andy, Karl, Cactuarz, and I texts letting us know (or just to me, and I'll make sure everyone else in the house knows).

The OKC crew indicated to me that they're coming back here tomorrow. We're going to try this again, and we need to get it right this time. One of the most important steps, me knowing, is complete (albeit as the result of a failure), but just for good practice I want everyone who reads this and intends to show up tomorrow to post on here when you're going to show up and send me a text when you start heading over.

This invite also of course applies to any Brawl players who are interested in coming over tomorrow -- this isn't a Melee-player-only house. We have a ton of TVs, but some extra Wiis may not hurt, if it's convenient to bring them. Anyone who is interested should let me know, and I'll get you the address. I'll play some Brawl, but I know that some of you are also interested in some 2D fighters, which will also definitely be going down. We also have Project: M, which should be appealing to anyone who plays any version of Smash. Also, if the Edmond crew can make it down here tomorrow, it would be an optimal time to do so (I'll be sure to get the Norman crew to visit you all again sometime).

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dude, i posted this on the thread, and I also told Karl lol

Both factors satisfied.

Also, you forgot that I don't really have a phone that I can use to do that.

Anyway, I don't know if I can meet tomorrow also

DualCats

Smash Ace
you have been excommunicated. To become recommunicated I'll need a copy of your driver's license, your SSN, your credit card number, a vial of your blood, your car keys, a 30 pack of Keystone and a bag of ice, new socks and a 50 dollar copay.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Dude, i posted this on the thread, and I also told Karl lol

Both factors satisfied.

Also, you forgot that I don't really have a phone that I can use to do that.

Anyway, I don't know if I can meet tomorrow also
You posted
Anyone down to play tomorrow at Andy's at 7:30 ish? Alex? Chris?
yesterday, but that to me didn't read so much as a "this is definitely happening" as it did an "anyone want to do something then?" I was actually expecting you to probably show up around that time, though. Also, I do remember that you don't have a phone, which was just kind of one those unfortunate things that couldn't be helped.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I remember now that Karl told me last night that you were coming today, so that's probably why I was expecting you to show up. I should have just gotten up when my 7:30 alarm went off -- I think I definitely would have if I had remembered that Karl told me that. So, I should probably make reminders on my phone when someone tells me something like that.

I do wish you all had called someone or something before leaving, though. I think you all left like right before I got up. Then again, I don't know if any of you had anyone from OKC's number. I was really surprised when I went out and you all were gone, though :confused:

Likewise, all I heard from OKC on here was
Is anything going down in Norman tonight? Because I'm thinking about coming down... Can work out some ideas for this tourney while I'm there as well as punch some people in the face.

Gotta kick it with my boy Yawara as well ;)
which also didn't really tell me anything definite. I really had no idea you all were coming :(

Idk, I guess a lot of it was a collective series of unfortunate coincidences. Who knows, it might have worked out if I hadn't been sleeping, so maybe it's just my fault.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Well, whatever, **** happens, gatherings were never formal anyway since everyone's basically friends, and houses are pretty much an open door policy unless otherwise specified.

I don't think I can play tomorrow cause I wanna get in all my readings for next week done during the weekend. Plus I wanna play with Kitty and Amie.

DualCats

Smash Ace
I work tomorrow night from 8pm - 2am. If people want to start showing up in the afternoon (or earlier) I'll be here. Anyone who plans to show up should notify someone living here beforehand. Anyone who doesn't have my number should get it.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
I'm so tempted to make a database/website for norman G&W house (our place) and have it on our network/hosted from here. Whenever any of us 4 go to sleep we press sleep, and it says on the site what time we passed out, same for wake up/leave/back and have our work schedules on it. Too much work though x.x

on the other hand. my phone: 541 497 3542 work days: wed-saturday 10pm-7am. If you want to make sure i'm up text me the day before hand so i set my alarm clock if it's on a work day ^^

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
P4A trials are pretty fun, and there's a ton of them too. Should keep me busy for a while lol

Not sure I really understand some characters though . . .

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so looking at http://union.ou.edu/content/view/88/ , a student organization should be able to rent the Sooner Room for free. I don't know if "university rate" means the rate at which a university employee can reserve the room, but I'm a university employee, so hopefully that's what it means.

EDIT: There are also other rooms that student organizations can rent for free.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
you have been excommunicated. To become recommunicated I'll need a copy of your driver's license, your SSN, your credit card number, a vial of your blood, your car keys, a 30 pack of Keystone and a bag of ice, new socks and a 50 dollar copay.
im not buying Keystone. i dont want the ****s. everything else tho is understandable

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
Is anyone at Karl/Andy/Bryan's right now? I need to pick up my phone, hopefully on my lunch break.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so looking at http://union.ou.edu/content/view/88/ , a student organization should be able to rent the Sooner Room for free. I don't know if "university rate" means the rate at which a university employee can reserve the room, but I'm a university employee, so hopefully that's what it means.

EDIT: There are also other rooms that student organizations can rent for free.
Do you know which room(s) was the one that OHSNAP3 took place? And is that the same room Kuni reserved for that brawl tournament? We're interested in that one the most right now.

Edit: btw we're aiming for a 1 day tournament, so I'm sure Po will want to try to round up some key players here who could help run the brackets smoothly for Brawl and Melee.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
ohsnap 1 was sooner room
ohsnap 2 was heritage room
ohsnap 3 was in okc, babac chose that location
ohsnap 4 was the entire mezzanine, including the heritage room
ohsnap 5 was 3rd floor (forgot which room), half of what the intimikill rooms were.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I think the rooms Kuni reserved for that Brawl tournament (which are, iirc, the Heritage room, etc., on the second floor) are rooms that a student organization can rent for free. I think it would be a good idea to co-host a tournament with the OU Animation Society (JAMS, as it seems to be called again) -- it would be a way around the rental fees, it would draw in competitors for various games, and it would be a way to continue Forest's legacy in the club.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I've been busy with school guys, sorry for the delay. Bryan, thank you for your help thus far, it is much appreciated. Since we kinda got started off on a bad foot, I want to try to get everyone together tomorrow evening(which is Wednesday, August 29, 2012).
Would Bryan/Karl/Andy/Eriq mind if we used their house as a staging area again? I want as many currently active(and some former) players in the OK Smash community there as possible. Tom, would you be willing to meet up there and we can go over details for the Brawl side of things? I'd appreciate any input you might like to share.

Look, I'm going to be blunt: After the last few failed attempts at reviving the scene, I have doubts about pulling this off... BUT, I still believe we can do this and make it a successful event. However, I cannot do it alone. I'm just one guy with an idea. But a community needs more than an idea man, it needs EVERYONE to play a part in its success...

This isn't Brandon's Tournament, it's Bryan/Pablo/Tom/Yawara/Andy/KPeezy/Pay$/Young Deezy/etc's Tournament. I'm not doing this because I stand to gain anything. *If anything, I'm giving myself a lot of unnecessary hard work and headaches*
I'm doing this because Oklahoma used to be a great group of gamers with a strong competitive spirit. I hate watching potential be wasted...

Remember when we all went to San Antonio, and while we didn't win, I watched a bunch of guys who used to have trouble L-cancelling consistently give top players like Forward and Dope a lot of trouble.
I got to see a kid who epic failed at eating pancakes and could barely type a coherent sentence put on one of the most impressive displays of technical ability I've ever witnessed, then snagged a cute azn girl's digits. I saw the two most horrible teams players ever work together and form a surprisingly competent duo. I got everyone lost on the way to the hotel and almost killed all the black people on the way home(shut up, Marc).
I saw a community of once-strangers bond together over a video game and through friendly competition, become so much more. I saw a scene... no, a community, better yet still, a FAMILY come together and get better.

If this is going to happen, we all need to sit down and work together... Help me do this guys... or don't, its up to you, no, its up to US.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
I'm fine with you coming over wednesday. I'll be gone from 9pm till 8 am though with work. Andy should have the day off, don't know about karl, i just tried asking bryan if he'll be here but he seems super zoned out on school work. I'll get him to post later but he should be around, he's at least aware that you guys are coming ^^

Top Bottom