• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
ya i was thinkin with those rules i might just use shiek or the ice climbers...seeing as how those are the ones i use on a normal basis anyways...

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
ZOMG ownage right here
From SmashWiki on Sonic:
"Can edgeguard very well because the falling Spring of his Up B can spike."
zomlolzorz
I'm gonna have so much fun mastering this.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
haha. i don't know which characters will be beastly and which won't be. i'd actually be more glad if there were more balance, which as of right now only exists because no one knows how to play it well yet. i hope within a year though top tier is like half the cast.

i'm still going pit/sheik/cfalc
plus they all have awesome final smashes. cfalc's is a freaking cinematic. amazing.
i get into OKC friday at like 9:30, meaning i will be in norman at like 10:30. if anyone wants to hang out with me late night then, tell me on AIM or here. if you wanna hang out next week or the weekend of the 15th lemme know too. hopefully we can do something on the 15th...again, if i can host something i will.

i miss OK too much.

plasman

Smash Apprentice
Hey doods. I took a break from here after that last delay but now that we're closing in on the release date I figured I'd just re-introduce myself since I've been gone long enough from the OK scene to be declared a newcomer. I live in OKC and I've smashed with most of you before even if it was for a short while. So yeeeeah... I guess I'll see you cats after Brawl is released.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I still plan to beast the tournament on Saturday, so I can have a shot at the national tournament (if I win state and regionals, too, that is :dizzy:).

And yeah, Alex, I too hope that Brawl ends up being more balanced.

5 days. It's drawing near!

Shade_

Smash Ace
Thanks guys. I hope we all win at our local game stops so in round two we will all already know each other lol. But I hope chris doesnt go to my game stop I at least want to win once haha.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm done uploading the Andy vs Yawara sets.

Now I'll upload the singles between Andy, Kuni, Chris, and myself and then teams.

But I might have to edit some of the sound . . .

>_> Some of it's really, really wrong. Especially in teams.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKphh_WPM0

after round 1 you actually get to PLAY the game to practice, lol. anyway yeah, after the above clip i don't even argue with people who say brawl can't be competitive. now i just laugh at them. also, items look cool and i'd be willing to play with them competitively. not all, obviously, just a few more balanced one. but smash ball looks balanced, so do a few others.

aaanyway. can't wait to be home. and record matches with OK players :]

edit: in the sars/gravity matches, i couldn't stop laughing. gg, silly men.

Crackboom

Smash Apprentice
... also, items look cool and i'd be willing to play with them competitively. not all, obviously, just a few more balanced one. but smash ball looks balanced, so do a few others.
not all final smashes are created equally, obviously, but as you demonstrated in the Lucas v Shiek video, they make for some very intense moments. Once competitive Brawl gets underway, perhaps tournament rules will allow items or smashballs but allocate more stock per match to make up for the (sometimes) easy kill. Or something. I can't wait!

editing in a funny yawara vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=04IylH3mI90

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
@ Alex and Brett:

Dude, maybe it's a better idea if y'all two go to Crossroads mall . . .

I heard a rumor that you might actually get to own a copy of brawl if you get past the first round of the tournament (plus you get to play it after the first round for practice or something). If that's true, and since we've all got a good final smash strategy down, we should probably spread out our wins so we don't get in the same pools.

I mean, think about it. It takes forever to kill in Brawl anyways, right? So there is literally only one strategy--final smash. especially in one minute.

Each of us have to make sure we play a character that does that efficiently, I'm thinking Zelda/Sheik's the best. Or Pikachu (kills at like 50). And since all of us have such a solid grasp on spacing and such, it's a better idea for us to spread out our victories.

Just a thought cause i have like 7 guys going to the gamestop not at crossroads. With y'all two there, I think our chances of bringing home copies of smash would only be diminished since we'll just end up killing each other in our own pools.

Sounds good?

And can someone post a list of the neutral characters? We need to use a character that doesn't die early (we all have better DI than the rest of them, let's face it) and we need a solid final smash since htat's teh only way to kill at 50%.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
not all final smashes are created equally, obviously, but as you demonstrated in the Lucas v Shiek video, they make for some very intense moments. Once competitive Brawl gets underway, perhaps tournament rules will allow items or smashballs but allocate more stock per match to make up for the (sometimes) easy kill. Or something. I can't wait!
haha, true dat. we'll see how things go down. obviously we'll be some of the first competitive players and as a state we'll try to come up with some ballin' smash rules on what is most fair. after all, west coast and east coast didn't agree on melee rules until a couple of years after it came out.

@ Alex and Brett:

Dude, maybe it's a better idea if y'all two go to Crossroads mall . . .

I heard a rumor that you might actually get to own a copy of brawl if you get past the first round of the tournament (plus you get to play it after the first round for practice or something). If that's true, and since we've all got a good final smash strategy down, we should probably spread out our wins so we don't get in the same pools.

I mean, think about it. It takes forever to kill in Brawl anyways, right? So there is literally only one strategy--final smash. especially in one minute.

Each of us have to make sure we play a character that does that efficiently, I'm thinking Zelda/Sheik's the best. Or Pikachu (kills at like 50). And since all of us have such a solid grasp on spacing and such, it's a better idea for us to spread out our victories.

Just a thought cause i have like 7 guys going to the gamestop not at crossroads. With y'all two there, I think our chances of bringing home copies of smash would only be diminished since we'll just end up killing each other in our own pools.

Sounds good?

And can someone post a list of the neutral characters? We need to use a character that doesn't die early (we all have better DI than the rest of them, let's face it) and we need a solid final smash since htat's teh only way to kill at 50%.
i guess we could go to crossroads. even if irishguy goes and wins, i'd be happy. as long as smashboards prevails over noobcore. either way i'm pretty sure the winner gets jack ****.

also, starting roster:
Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Diddy, Zelda/Sheik, Pit, Metaknight, Trainer, Ike, Peach, Yoshi, ICs, Dedede, Bowser, Wario, Olimar, Lucas

i'd go with: mario, link (final smash), pikachu, sheik, metaknight, dedede, or lucas. i want to go pit but i'll most likely use sheik due to the similar moveset.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
ya i have to agree with alex. i think i might not use the IC's jsut cuz its a 1min round. link and shiek are pretty basic and i can play both well. they both have a great final smash...i still think link has the best looking one...its a cointoss i think...link's is obviously more accurate than the light arrow though...

as for tourny rules... i think smash balls should be on and thats it....partly because the assist trophies dont count as an attack...they can be just as random and probl - o - matic as regualr items...and 4-5 lives sounds good as well....just a thought...

o and soonermall is open now cuz im just gonna stay in moore for the tournament

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Yawara, that would be a sound idea IF Crossroads was doing the tourney! I called, and those beeyotches said they're not doing the midnight release, tournament, or otherwise... So, I don't know. Guess I'll have to go a Gamestop that actually CARES about gamers...(LOL, I know)

Also, I LOVE the commentary in the vid Craig posted. Po for President? I think it could work...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Oops, not crossroads, I mean sooner mall or whatever the other one is in norman. <_< The gamestop in the mall.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I'd be fine going to sooner mall with lex lex. I just want to be surrounded by love. I'm not really for sure who I will use yet.....:-/ obviously someone with a good final smash, but yeaaaaaaaa.
Do I get bathroom privileges?

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
bathroom priviledges to everyone!

btw i was looking more into sonic(who i am looking forward too maining) and his assist trophy?
Shadow

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
In theory, taking the Brawl tourneys should be a piece of cake. Cause I mean, think about casual players... they're not gonna have any more idea of what they're doing than we are, and we're actually going to have some idea of what we're doing.

Anyway, I was pretty set on using Dedede, but now I'm not sure, cause he might be rather slow to get the Smash ball, and his final Smash isn't that great. He's still a totally viable choice, though, but I'm still juggling my options. To use Meta Knight was my initial reaction, but he has trouble killing, but items are on which might help with that. Ahhh, if only it was more than one minute, that's just ridiculous.

4 days. Getting ever-closer!

Crackboom

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of matches with no kills. Good thing they aren't deciding the winner by the sudden death mode that follows a tie, at least. If I fight a large character, however, Bowsercide FTW!

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Good thing they aren't deciding the winner by the sudden death mode that follows a tie, at least.
Yeah, that'd be awful.

Anyway, I heard that Ike and Lucas were also good characters to use, because Ike is good at punishing and killing and Lucas's up smash is omg ****. But meh, there really shouldn't be anything to worry about, cause most of the people will probably just spam smashes and b-moves and not have a sensible use of their shield. Cause really, the only way I'd anticipate anyone getting a KO on me is with a well-placed final smash, and my only concern is being able to kill them once within a minute. With rematches instead of sudden death, though, that shouldn't really be an issue.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
But meh, there really shouldn't be anything to worry about, cause most of the people will probably just spam smashes and b-moves and not have a sensible use of their shield. Cause really, the only way I'd anticipate anyone getting a KO on me is with a well-placed final smash, and my only concern is being able to kill them once within a minute. With rematches instead of sudden death, though, that shouldn't really be an issue.
Yeah it'll be a little hard killing in one minute, you'd think the gamestop guys would've thought that through.
"Dude, brawls gonna be soooo hard killing in!"
"lol one minute match kill noobs!"
Yeah I think this was the thinking behind it all
And I forgot about the thing that separates smart players from casuals, the Shield
I never made good use of it till I got better.
I wonder how many mad mothers there'll be at all the Gamestops we'll be covering...
"Mommy he cheated!"
You know stuff like that.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I think you guys are over simplifying this especially since this is a ffa meaning you can easily get ganged up on and have a 3 vs 1.

This isn't going to be a piece of cake imo. I seriously think the best strategy at this instant is go Pikachu and jut FAIR the **** out the smash ball and then kill.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I'll just go Peach and get the smash ball and put them all to sleep. That way other people don't get in my way >___>.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
ya sars its 1V1 till all but one are left... i think im gonna be stickin with shiek...quick combos and all...well crap...link....wtf to do!?!?

TraparFire

Smash Rookie
if i get to show up for it, i might be at the same gamestop as you sars, so keep an eye out. if all the characters are unlocked, my suggestion is for toon link. he controls the closest to the melee couterpart in my opinion, all except for the 'rang. besides, the added spike in the dair is a fancy move. >_<

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I am going to the Gamestop at the Shawnee store strip, meaning the one that is beside the Dollar Tree. Is anyone else in Oklahoma going there?

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
So Shade called his Gamestop and apparently registration begins at 9, and up until 10, which is when the actual tournament begins, there's an hour of practice time. The timeframe might vary from store to store, though. I'm going to call mine tomorrow.

3 days. Just one more school day to sit through!

Shade_

Smash Ace
hey anyone know about the dash attack cancle to smash moves, apparently high level gameplay is getting better, i am not sure if this only works for falco and snake but look at this vid,

snake does some really crazy dash attack canceling to f smash a few times in the match and falco does a dash attack to upsmash at 1 50 seconds. Anyone know how it works? or if it works with anyone else?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ne4WFq7XfpY

xXout_lawXx

Smash Cadet
Sars, I think you should never play Marth for the rest of your life. That Samus vs Samus vid was awesome.

Sars, you look so much slower than when you are playing me.

I really wish I could have been there.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
brett and i will be commensing hugging in approximately 16 hours.
the countdown begins.

i'll probably spend all weekend sleeping/with brett or gwynne, but who wants to hang out or play after this weekend? you have 2 whole weeks to respond. GO!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Ah, I say we need a smashfest/tourney soon.

REALLY soon.

GOD **** MY ROOMATE LISTENS TO THE GAYEST MUSIC!

thechubbss12

Smash Cadet
i am...the irish dude....i have takin over sidneys house!!!! for i am in moore!!! till tuesday...and im playing brawl tonight...caleb got it early... :)

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Alright, I called my GameStop and it turns out that they're starting at 3 PM, so for everyone who is planning to compete in a tournament, I'd call your store to be sure of the times. The numbers can be found here.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I love you. I am Nicholas Brett Marcott. I am 18 and I like smashbrubbers. Alex...say hello! Andy, don't die. Yawara, don't suicide. Everyone else....stay gold. Too bad I have to write a paper the weekend brawl comes out :(.

Crackboom

Smash Apprentice
I hear that. I have two big programming projects due next week, and I work all weekend :(

sad times. But I'm going to stay up all saturday night with it

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Alright, kids... In a little under 24 hours, I will have Brawl in my hand and hopefully one of those gawd-awful Trophies GameStop hands out to the winners of their tournament.

With that, I now have added my Wii number underneath my avatar, I will be adding those of you who have done the same, so if you cats happen to see the Pimpest online at some point, you know what to do... One small disclaimer, however...

In this initial stage, I do NOT intend on being heavily competitive, so don't be alarmed if I happen to utilize items or other non-standard playing methods. I have spent the last several years dedicated to standard tourney play and am in no rush to duplicate a Melee-like experience with Brawl, at least not for awhile. It's highly likely that my first forays into online Smash will be almost exclusively through the 'With Anyone' option, as that way, I won't be forced to negotiate terms with my would-be opponents.

That, and the fact that the community has lost a lot of the spark it once held. I have been doing this for FAR LONGER than any other OK Smasher, and for all my time spent trying to be the best, I never got as far as I feel I should have. Also, the community has degraded so much since I first began my travels. Where once I saw a community comprised of peers and like-minds, now all I find is arrogance and ***gotry of an inane degree.

I mean not to damper everyone's spirits, because this should be a time of much joy and merriment, but as it stands right now, I can no longer be as hardcore as I once was concerning Smash. I'm getting older, and the time has come where I must realign myself onto the path of greater pursuits. There are a lot of things I need to do in life, and I can't do them if I'm spending all my time on message boards, or playing Smash as much as I used to.

I think the most important reason though, is this: I simply CANNOT keep up with the best like I once could... I mean, even during my worst performances, I never once felt like I was just completely outclassed by my opponents. Even against the legendary SephirothKen, I felt like I could hold my own and managed to make a decent match of it. However, for all my guts and mental fortitude, my lack of a regular practice regime shone through.

If only this were three, heck even two years ago, when I still could make semi-regular tournament appearances, I'd give you all something to talk about... But, this is no longer my time. It belongs to Chris, Bryan, Kuni, Brett, and all you other young upstarts. I've tried to give you my best, so that you may shine against all comers, but now, like Obi-Wan, I must fall to the wayside to allow all you young Skywalkers to ascend to true greatness.

Brawl is an awesome starting point for you all. A fresh, new experience just waiting for some talented Melee latecomers to tear it open and blaze a new trail for the future generation to follow, as I did in Melee. I know it sounds like the end, but really it is not. It's just time for me to accept the fact that I just don't have the luxury of being a 'lazy-*** gamer' all my life. I have to make Smash a hobby again, not a lifestyle. Something to do for a few hours, not a couple of days.

I know this was a long one, and I apologize for it, but this has been stirring in me for quite sometime and it was high time I accepted it. Yet, for all my parting words,I still feel I've got one last, epic tournament performance(or two) in me, and I won't be satisfied until I achieve it. So even though I won't be around as much, I'll still keep in touch with you all. I will leave you this, though:

If ever there is a Smashfest, Tournament, or otherwise get-together where Smash will be played, and it is within my ability, the Legendary One will be there at some point, in some fashion. Wherever there is a douche who thinks his top-tier gayness will guarantee him a win, that is when a random MISFIRE(!) shall blast him back into humility. For that is Po Pimpus, The Pimpest Luigi and The Ninja God of Rock...

Top Bottom