• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
fun times last night. tekken is fun as ****, <3 andy, grant, and KP. i hope we can get more people into it (brett, play tekken 5 with me again!) sicne it's hella fun. and double props to my homeboy KP for showing *****es how it's done at the monthly.

chris, we'll play sometime this week. hopefully brett is free sometime, too, and we can party hardy. we haven't hung out in like a month, so changing that will be dag nasty! :o

thanks to bryan for the games. i played to win at first, but halfway through the marth games i just messed around. thankfully then bryan didn't just wail on me all night with marth but did randoms (aka mario) for like 3 hours with me, lol. that shiz was fun, and i kind of realized i can't play competitive brawl because playing for fun is about 5x better. besides trading chaingrabs for falcon punches, melee for fun and competitive play are about the same thing, so my heart's still into that. so yeah...no brawl tournies for me in the future, but i'll still play friendlies with GaW like usual and lose...
except to daniel, i'll keep 2-stocking you with my zamus :D kthxbye

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Man I feel like **** right now.

And having class (a term which I use somewhat loosely) on my birthday tomorrow is going to be a first. Probably a good thing, though; otherwise I might sleep all day.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Guess what else kuni has been doing besides answering phonecalls?

Also notice: barefoot, shoes and socks, socks. The new boyband trend.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Everytime I think I've run out of Kuni material, he answers my prayers and always meets my expectations.

God Bless you, Kuni. You just keep on delivering to us all.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
I...I don't know what to say.

EDIT: I wait for the day that we discover Kuni is some sort of super-troll.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
bit late, but i think FK is coming to norman today. anybody available call me

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
XD that or like the lucky star theme
anyone up for something tomorrow???
i dont have work and definitely require some practice

Keroku

Smash Apprentice
OMG! I <b>just</b> seen the O.H.S.N.A.P. 5 thing! Definitely need to try and go to that. there's a good chance I'll make it.. but I might not.

Oh yeah~! headin' up to OU this semester, so I needs to find out who's all up there that plays smash.

Shade_

Smash Ace
lol, sorry I haven't said anything in a while. I was at camp guys and just came back from visiting family in Texas, but I'm back now. What has been happening.

And Keroku, there are a handful of players at OU, we usually get together over Fridays/weekends through out the year, so your in luck.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Im not trying to stir up any hidden embers but what is the GENERAL vote on banning metaknight here in Oklahoma?

2 cities in tx ban him, New mexico bans him, Louisiana is like 1% away from banning him. It would be cool if you guys joined the cause.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Most of Oklahoma (as far as I remember) is indifferent towards Metaknight, if you ban him, great, if you don't, we will let Sars deal with him.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
Im not trying to stir up any hidden embers but what is the GENERAL vote on banning metaknight here in Oklahoma?

2 cities in tx ban him, New mexico bans him, Louisiana is like 1% away from banning him. It would be cool if you guys joined the cause.
I'd be interested to see what other people think. Looking at the top tier it seems it would be more balanced (w/o MK), but I don't really care much. I have harder matchups than MK.

I think that may be what you'll find up here: apathy. We've never banned him for any events that I know of.

I'm reluctant to speak on behalf of the community but I think most of us don't have a strong opinion on the issue.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Even though I main Meta Knight, I'm pretty much indifferent on the issue. If he gets banned, then I'll just play Marth. The MK-banned meta game could be interesting as well. On the flip side, if Meta Knight doesn't get banned, then I'm just fine with the way things are now.

However, I don't think Meta Knight is ban-worthy right now. Even though he clearly is the best character, when I look at results of major tournaments he doesn't really dominate the top spots. I mean, even M2K has been beaten by a Snake and now a Wario, and from what I understand Dojo is getting beat now as well so the character, while certainly advantaged over the rest of the cast, is not unstoppable. If you ask me, Meta Knight actually seems to be dying down right now, so I don't know why a ban against him would be pressed for now of all times. It's Wario who seems to be in the spotlight right now (not that I'm suggesting that he should be banned, because that would be silly).

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I beat Meta with Peach =] (which doesn't make any sense at all =\). If Meta is banned, thats fine. If hes not, I couldn't care less. Ban D3's standing infinite!

Shade_

Smash Ace
I personally don't do very well against him with any of my characters, and if your asking for my preference, I'd rather he be banned, if that helps feed your fire Xyro. lol.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't do very well against him with any of my characters, and if your asking for my preference, I'd rather he be banned, if that helps feed your fire Xyro. lol.
Try Falco against him. He has a lot going for him in the match-up. Just gotta learn it for a bit.

His fair/nair beat his glide attack - the first hit clanks and the rest hit MK. It is the greatest thing in the world.

MK doesn't have a lot of air move speed so lasers can mess up his approaches.

And you get a free 50% if you can grab him. If you refuse to CG it probably isn't as close.

Still in MK's favor and all, but it might help. Your Falco is good.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips GMO, I've actually been thinking about messing around with my Falco a bit more lately. That Fair against glide attack is new for me, lol sounds nice though, I'll try it out.

How about Thursday Andy? I probably can't spend the night because of work. But if you pick me up at 2 pm ish, I can stay until midnight or so.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
So then would you guys stand up and flatout ban him at your events? The list of states are growing, please joiN!!!!!

GMo

Smash Apprentice
I thought about it, it doesn't seem like he is so good he warrants a ban. The only reason to do it, for me, is because the top tier w/o MK would be pretty cool.
A lot of top tiers counter others. Snake would probably be pretty dominant, but then D3s would come out. Falco murders D3 so then they'd be played. But Falco gets wrecked by Marth. So more Marths. But they lose to Snake/D3. Throw G&W, ICs, Wario, and Diddy in the mix and you have a fairly interesting metagame.

Honestly, I don't see OK banning MK unless the SBR does.

Young Deezy

Smash Apprentice
I don't think OK would ban him for the simple reason that we don't have any Meta's aside of Bryan and Powastar.

I bet if alot of mks suddenly popped up it would be different, but we just don't have enough to actually ban him here.

Personally I would like for him to be banned, 65-35 on Marth isn't very fun.... Aside from my bad matchup against him it's also pretty bad against nearly the whole cast. #2 Snake and #3 Wario do fairly well against him. And from what I have heard Diddy does decent against him, though I can't see why.

As for the metagame without MK I think ICs would get better as all they would really lose to is Marth and G&W.
Marth would def get better because that eliminates his worst matchup.

When I seen that HOBO actually banned MK I was just thinking "Finally someone stepped forward and actually banned him from a major tournament." And hopefully people will start to follow what they set.

Though I don't see him getting banned, I would definately like for it to happen.

EDIT: Even though my opinion really doesn't matter, I think we could start off like HOBO and ban him from an event or two (like I said earlier we don't really have enough meta's for it to do much) and kinda go from there. >__>

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I thought about it, it doesn't seem like he is so good he warrants a ban. The only reason to do it, for me, is because the top tier w/o MK would be pretty cool.
I agree with this.

Oklahoma really has no reason to ban Meta Knight. I'm the only well-known Meta Knight in the state, and I'd still probably lose to Chris's Peach. If we banned him here, all we would effectively be doing is saying "ha ha Bryan." And really, I don't see why you're banning him in Texas; more recent tournament results from there have shown that Meta Knight is very defeatable. For instance, there was one full-time Meta Knight in the top twelve at FS6, and that was Dojo, who placed second. At LAST3, which was nearby Texas, there were no Meta Knights in the top eight. I mean, I can see why you'd want to ban Meta Knight, but from what I've seen, the data isn't indicating that he's really breaking the game and warranting such action.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Well, guess I'll chime in on this 'Ban Metaknight' dealie--

I PLAY LUIGI

Of course I'd like to see that cheap son-of-a-gun banned, because all you need is three moves and almost little-to-no technique to win... While on the flipside, I have to use every single bit of my knowledge and experience just so I can lose 'respectably', i.e. not get three-stocked.

On the flipside, having that chump around has forced me to get better a lot faster so I didn't get swept under the rug. So, on one hand, having Metaknight as an obstacle has helped me to improve further faster than I would have normally, so there's that to consider.

Not to mention that everyone in Oklahoma is gangsta enough that we actually play characters we ENJOY playing as rather than what's been winning tournaments in wherever-the-**** because M2K used it/lost to it (there is our whole Wario obsession, but we've been doing that for about eight/nine months now ;) )

Also, I don't want to gimp Bryan seeing as how he really likes Metaknight (he's been hyped to play as him since the E3 2007 trailer), and he's my teams partner/he *****, so there.

All in all, I don't like the 'META'-game, but I'll deal with it. Besides, if you HAVE to go Metaknight against me, it means you're too weak/nooby to beat me with a REAL character and you will be mocked and taunted accordingly (and will probably still lose anyway :) )

Top Bottom