• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
didnt you stay in tulsa and than head to KS that saturday? if you didnt sleep that's your faul.t

FK1

Smash Journeyman
didnt you stay in tulsa and than head to KS that saturday? if you didnt sleep that's your faul.t
I'm not sure if you're being rude or just yourself, but no, I went to Tulsa on Thursday night and stayed there until saturday.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if you're being rude or just yourself, but no, I went to Tulsa on Thursday night and stayed there until saturday.
Dont know who you stayed with, but my carpool went to KS on friday and slept fine. maybe inferno had a bigger house, i dont know. btw, tell any of the tulsa players who play pokemon to bring their DS. feel i need to wreck some raichu.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dannng, liquor store too good. Easy money to be made. Just high risk I guess.

But dude, you should totally hit up lil will and play with him same with shoes. The three of y'all + Brandon/Marc/Chris/Pablo could be the new OKC-Edmond crew.

Meanwhile Norman would be the Bassem/typ-FlingKheart/zinth/shade_/me/Keroku/etc crew.

bassem6

Smash Lord
We should have a crew battle the next time a lot of us are at a smashfest. It doesnt even have to be norman vs okc. We can just have 2 captains and they pick playground style until theres nobody left then we have at it. I think that would be quite fun. (I call first captain hehe)

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
We used to do this a lot actually lol Just people stopped for whatever reason.

In fact, there's a vid of my pit beating bryan's MK during crews. Me + Daniel + Alex = only god**** people that you need on a crew.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord

In fact, there's a vid of my pit beating bryan's MK during crews. Me + Daniel + Alex = only god**** people that you need on a crew.
noone yells "crew battle" quite like hanson did.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord

holy ****, dude, we pwned.

bassem watch this and follow related to part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkcJcfR-n_M&feature=related

and yes, we will do more stuff like this hopefully. draft crews are always fun as hell. also holy crap that video is 10 months old. time flies.

edit: what i meant was watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTHXCFtiaw lol.

bassem6

Smash Lord
I just got done watching milk with my gf like an hour ago! Did you like it yawara?

Edit: I quite liked that draft crew battle xD

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
ya but I thought that was the point of the character is to represent a facet of life that detracted completely from Milk's political life to such a ridiculous degree. And I thought the direction was fine, I don't know what you had against it.

All the correct theatrical modes were there, the shots were all nicely done, the cinematography made sense. The greatest strength of the movie is that it reels you in, it keeps you guessing as to what happened, all with an air of like this is important stuff.

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
I think it was less the shots that were done and more of the pacing and structuring of the movie. Some of the shots were very nicely done, but starting the movie with Harvey narrating his life just seems like a cliched foreshadowing technique that detracts from the effect of when he actually dies. Actually, now that I think about it, the movie starts out with just blatantly stating that he has been killed. I was still engaged throughout the movie but there were parts were I felt that the narrative stuttered a bit. This movie seemed more designed to display the acting prowess of Penn more than make any kind of statement about gay activism.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I don't think the movie was political, just politically themed. If it was purely political then Harvey Milk's life would have been spun crazily to not include his love interests. I mean, he ditched one, a guy he dragged to SF, just to ignore him even though he loved him throughout the movie. And instead, he settled with a needy, unstable boytoy whose relationship was absent of love but was just purely sexual.

He admits to his true love that the other guy was just a handsome guy who was great in the sack, and you saw just how much of Milk's life was controlled by his politics and, to an extent, his ego because he so blatantly ignored the circumstances of his death--a lesson he should've learned long ago. And in all honesty, those circumstances didn't make Milk look that different from the abusive parents/anti-gay activists that he was rallying against. Plus the guy he loved most ended up dying of aids.

So like in that sense, I think the movie wasn't supposed to champion civil rights or gay activism. It seemd more like a drama that lauded but didn't rally around gay civil rights <_<

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Okay, Ebert and the-other-guy-who-will-never-replace-Gene-Siskel, let's all agree that Milk was a great film and that Sean Penn is a badass actor, and focus on these important facts:

Po Pimpus is amazing.

Marc is trash.

Young Deezy is really young.

Will is gay.

Daniel is a racist.

Bryan is a pimp.

Tom/Paul/Haley/Anthony have a cool Smashfesty house.

I miss GMo and Kpeezy.

Hanson is still good

Chris is great too, but not as great as Po.

Oklahoma has the best Smash community there is.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
roper sucks. siskel sucked, too. he was such a butthole.

ebert is mad cool, though. one time, an LA Times film reviewer wrote an article about how Deuce Biggalo 2 was essentially the worst film he had seen in the 21st century, a B movie at best, and a typical show of trying to use a sequel to make money, even though the first movie wasn't even impressive enough to con another film out of. It was brutal, and Rob Shneider wrote a letter to him saying he had no idea what he was talking about, and that when he earned a Pulitzer Prize to come back and review his movie. the next week, Roger Ebert wrote the LA Times regarding Rob Shneider and was like, "well...I DO have a Pulitzer Prize and your movie sucked." so badass.

keep an eye on my youtube, i'll start posting HxC vids in an hour after i finish editing and converting the rest of teams i haven't done yet.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
It's not just his like snarky-ness that makes Ebert such an apt reviewer. It's really hard to understand technical film and also get the humanist elements that directors are trying to portray well, just because a lot of like film critics are either a) unqualified or b) too pedantic. The really good ones are the ones who are pedantic but can still enjoy the stoner movie for instance. And I think it's Ebert's ability to relay all of that which makes him a really good reviewer.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Brandon next smashfest or tourney thats coming up expect my Pikachu to wreck that Luigi of yours.

Don't be mad when you lose be mad at Yawara for making me love this wonderfully versatile character. :bee:

po pimpus

Smash Ace
*Spits out his water trying to contain his laughter*

PIKACHU?!? That's the best you can come up with?

Really?

Son, I've told you (and so many others before you) the character doesn't make the man (unless it's Meta Knight or Snake, but that's just borderline cheating anyway) it's the character of the man.

Until you realize that, you will never even come close to understanding how to counteract the Shadow Pimp Style of the Ninja God of Rock.

As for you, Young Deezy, your math is flawed. Skill is never even a factor for me!

STAY OFF MY LAWN!

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Lol you and Marc make me laugh so much with your trash talk. :laugh: I swear I wouldn't be so out going if it wasn't for you two and Hanson seriously.

And woohoo my advice was put up on one of the Wolf boards match-up disscussions!!!

PrettyBoy=Marc

Smash Rookie
Brandon next smashfest or tourney thats coming up expect my Pikachu to wreck that Luigi of yours.

Don't be mad when you lose be mad at Yawara for making me love this wonderfully versatile character. :bee:
First of all Will, you a *****. What are you going to do with that pikachu of yours, spot dodge to down smash! Dude your an eboy, mew2king fanboy. Let me guess, you went to some pikachu learning thread and beat up on that WEAK crew of yours in Edmond? Man GET THE **** OUTTA HERE!

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the movie was political, just politically themed. If it was purely political then Harvey Milk's life would have been spun crazily to not include his love interests. I mean, he ditched one, a guy he dragged to SF, just to ignore him even though he loved him throughout the movie. And instead, he settled with a needy, unstable boytoy whose relationship was absent of love but was just purely sexual.

He admits to his true love that the other guy was just a handsome guy who was great in the sack, and you saw just how much of Milk's life was controlled by his politics and, to an extent, his ego because he so blatantly ignored the circumstances of his death--a lesson he should've learned long ago. And in all honesty, those circumstances didn't make Milk look that different from the abusive parents/anti-gay activists that he was rallying against. Plus the guy he loved most ended up dying of aids.

So like in that sense, I think the movie wasn't supposed to champion civil rights or gay activism. It seemd more like a drama that lauded but didn't rally around gay civil rights <_<
I think gay activism was one of the themes that the movie addresses. It is true that the major point of the movie was to paint the life of Milk, but I think that was better portrayed through Penn's acting than any storytelling in the movie. You are correct in that Milk's life was consumed by politics (thats why his first lover left him) but I think the movie was trying to make him a martyr for the gay/lesbian cause. He didn't ignore the circumstances of his second lover's death, he felt that his movement, them movement for his people took greater precedence. He even says in the movie there was no time to mourn but that he had to keep going forward. The movie wanted to champion gay rights using through the life of Milk. It wanted to portray his life so that when he became a martyr it had more meaning. The fact that you don't see it this way supports my argument that the movie didn't do a good job in expressing this theme.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
First of all Will, you a *****. What are you going to do with that pikachu of yours, spot dodge to down smash! Dude your an eboy, mew2king fanboy. Let me guess, you went to some pikachu learning thread and beat up on that WEAK crew of yours in Edmond? Man GET THE **** OUTTA HERE!

Lol at me being a M2K fanboy I think everyone knows that my favorite brawl player of all time is __________. Spotdode > Downsmash? LOL how bout Spotdodge > Utilt > Utilt > Retreating Uair > QAC Nair,Fair,Utilt,Uair,or Thunder (if you air dodge. Lol Marc I didn't my Shiek almost beat you? I can use probably the whole roster on you without losing a single stock this time man you can't get on my level including you Brandon since my Mewtwo had a great time with your Luigi :bee: Ya'll funny though you guys gave me a good laugh. :bee:

Gimme some time and the Edmond crew will be wrecking you OKC chumps all day shoot all we need to do is get KPeezy and you know his edgeguarding game is raw he'll wipe you guys out!

Lol was that good?

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Nah, Chris is too busy throwing away easy tournament wins (HxC son, never forget). Marc or myself would be better choices--When I choose to be, I can be quite hard to win against for anyone who doesn't depend on S-Tier bull**** to bail them out when I start laying on the pressure.

Hell, we could send in Pablo... they'd be so confused, they won't even realize he's not trying to win.

Top Bottom