• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar is n00b...Face it!

Zamato

Smash Rookie
For god sakes, Olimar is such a n00b character! Now before you mods shoot the ban arrow, allow me to explain myself here:

Argument #1: Smash Attacks
When facing Olimar it's near impossible to get close to him because of his overly powerful, overly ranged, and overly prioritized side, up and down A attacks. I find it amusing how people come in this section and discuss "Advanced Olimar" tactics. Honestly, if you want to win, just sit in one spot and point the C stick where your opponent is. That is all you need to do. The Smash attacks are also way to fast considering their range. He throws the ****ing pikman way tooo far! Not only that, but a player can keep the pikmen circulating as a ridiculous speed. These two items combined, and the result is your opponent having a really really hard ****ing time even getting in attack range of you!

Argument #2: Priority
Almost all of Olimar's attacks are full priority. So their overly fast, overly powerful, and overly long range, and on top of it, they are full priority. Out of all my complaints with olimar, the priority is by far the biggest! If the priority was toned down a little, then the character might be fair. But of course not! His down aerial A thing, is possibly the cheapest **** ever. Full priority, instant kill if opponent is above 70%.

Argument #3: Damage
Olimar does sooo much ****ing damage almost to an unfair level. Well, then again, not almost, it is unfair. I dished out a mean *** 7 hit combo is CF, and delt around 50%. Olimar manages to hit me with 3 hits, and ties the game! WTF is that? These aren't even good hits, these are stupid pickmen throws. It's all BS, way to much damage!

Argument #4: K.O.ing
Is it just me, or is Olimar really hard to K.O. He plays like this light but powerful as hell character, but has air physics of a heavy character. Olimar can only be killed if hes up in the 120%-170% damage range, other then that, hes going to recover every time. You see i know your thinking: "Why don't you just spike him?" Well once again, his Arial attacks are way to high priority, and way to powerful. It's really god**** unsettling to jump out their knowing Olimar has these instant KO power moves!

Most of you Olimar nuts will disagree with me, but at the end of the day, Olimar is so cheap. If your opponent is lucky to even get to you, then he has to deal with a overly powered character. No skill, seriously no skill. Just admit it, hes a cool character, new, fresh, innovative, but poorly executed and poorly balanced.

keeper

Smash Champion
Olimar has massive down-sides too.

Olimar is easily gimped, the only character more easily gimped is Ivysaur. When you are knocked off the stage, you have to be really patient and scramble to get an approaching strategy. Seriously.

When using Olimar and fighting someone that is actually good, you must consider your options and approaches as well as try to stop THEIR approach.

Olimar does have good smashes, but seriously, it's not that great compared to many things. What makes them great is how quickly they execute.

Olimar does not have that high of priority, just a disjointed hit-box on every aerial attack that isn't his neutral air which helps with range. His Utilt is probably really his highest priority.

NNID
MasterHavik
Umm...I never saw olimar as a noob character,but from what your saying it show how broken he is.Well,I agree with look you at Ike,MK,Wolf,Pit,and some other character I can't think of.This is wha ti have to deal with noob user saying Sonic sucks,with no protiry or power to back it up.Sometime these boards have noobs going to overpowered characters.Now,i know why tier are for queers,becasue it only show how easy it is to use a character.Than the characters that take real skills to like Gdof,Cf,Sonic,Boswer,and many other after that.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
For god sakes, Olimar is such a n00b character! Now before you mods shoot the ban arrow, allow me to explain myself here:

Argument #1: Smash Attacks
When facing Olimar it's near impossible to get close to him because of his overly powerful, overly ranged, and overly prioritized side, up and down A attacks. I find it amusing how people come in this section and discuss "Advanced Olimar" tactics. Honestly, if you want to win, just sit in one spot and point the C stick where your opponent is. That is all you need to do. The Smash attacks are also way to fast considering their range. He throws the ****ing pikman way tooo far! Not only that, but a player can keep the pikmen circulating as a ridiculous speed. These two items combined, and the result is your opponent having a really really hard ****ing time even getting in attack range of you!

Almost all of Olimar's attacks are full priority. So their overly fast, overly powerful, and overly long range, and on top of it, they are full priority. Out of all my complaints with olimar, the priority is by far the biggest! If the priority was toned down a little, then the character might be fair. But of course not! His down aerial A thing, is possibly the cheapest **** ever. Full priority, instant kill if opponent is above 70%.

Argument #3: Damage
Olimar does sooo much ****ing damage almost to an unfair level. Well, then again, not almost, it is unfair. I dished out a mean *** 7 hit combo is CF, and delt around 50%. Olimar manages to hit me with 3 hits, and ties the game! WTF is that? These aren't even good hits, these are stupid pickmen throws. It's all BS, way to much damage!

Argument #4: K.O.ing
Is it just me, or is Olimar really hard to K.O. He plays like this light but powerful as hell character, but has air physics of a heavy character. Olimar can only be killed if hes up in the 120%-170% damage range, other then that, hes going to recover every time. You see i know your thinking: "Why don't you just spike him?" Well once again, his Arial attacks are way to high priority, and way to powerful. It's really god**** unsettling to jump out their knowing Olimar has these instant KO power moves!

Most of you Olimar nuts will disagree with me, but at the end of the day, Olimar is so cheap. If your opponent is lucky to even get to you, then he has to deal with a overly powered character. No skill, seriously no skill. Just admit it, hes a cool character, new, fresh, innovative, but poorly executed and poorly balanced.
awwww, poor you, did someone get beat by a bad olly - I hate to break it to you, but you could make this type of argument for soooo many characters in brawl - this is just the nature of the game...and if you really can't beat an olly that stands still - then you sir need some practice.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i could sit here and bat down all of your arguments.... however i am too lazy........ u obviously got demolished by an olimar and now feel he's cheap....... my response is......... yea olimar is a noob and very cheap player that is broken.......... then why r there so little olimar players? and whens the last time you have heard him mentioned as a top tier?
enough said :)

if u really want me to go into detail about how he isn't cheap........ answer my uestion and then i'll answer yours.

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
ZOMG OLIMAR IS TOOOOOOOOO GOOOD! That's why he's top tier....

He's not noob, he's a noob-killer. Players who dont know how to edgeguard, approach, DI, avoid projectiles, or space properly get owned.

But if you still want to think that your friend isn't actually better than you, and that its that OLIMAR is the overpowerd, n00b character...go ahead and keep thinking that.

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
Olimar actually pisses me off even though i main him. I hate how i get horizontally smashed and then get edgehogged. Quite frankly the arguements for high priority are just dumb. Theres many instances where i tried to cancel out anothers smash with pikmin. Not good results

keeper

Smash Champion
As an Olimar user, I never want to fight another Olimar unless I know specifically that I can beat their Olimar.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Lol, too late to bother with this post seriously, but gotta say <3 keeper shrink and pyronic =P let this thread die along with the other similar ones started by those who aren't intelligent enough to overcome olimar on their own, this is their only comfort =)

-True

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Olimar has massive down-sides too.

Olimar is easily gimped, the only character more easily gimped is Ivysaur. When you are knocked off the stage, you have to be really patient and scramble to get an approaching strategy. Seriously.

When using Olimar and fighting someone that is actually good, you must consider your options and approaches as well as try to stop THEIR approach.

Olimar does have good smashes, but seriously, it's not that great compared to many things. What makes them great is how quickly they execute.

Olimar does not have that high of priority, just a disjointed hit-box on every aerial attack that isn't his neutral air which helps with range. His Utilt is probably really his highest priority.
Very true. Plus, Olimar is lightweight and has a very steep learning curve: Arranging Pikmin on the go isn't an easy thing.

gammonwalker

Smash Cadet
Very true. Plus, Olimar is lightweight and has a very steep learning curve: Arranging Pikmin on the go isn't an easy thing.
Who arranges Pikmin??? Not tryina' be an ***, but this isn't Trading Spaces. What a waste of time when you could be: edge hogging, tech chasing, defending, or attacking. All the Pikmin do the same thing; they hurt. What is to say you would even connect with the Pikmin you selected anyways? Not very reliable.

Originally Posted by Zamato said:
Almost all of Olimar's attacks are full priority. So their overly fast, overly powerful, and overly long range, and on top of it, they are full priority. Out of all my complaints with olimar, the priority is by far the biggest!
As a Rob player I can say he can cut through most of Olimar's attacks with his nair. The same for other characters with floating hit boxes on their attack. Not to say Olimar's smashes aren't incredible, but they can be out prioritized.

Olimar's greatest feature I believe is his throw. Its insanely fast, far reaching, and very ambiguous as to weither it's an attack or not. His up throw can kill at 160% guaranteed, which is pretty nice, since you should be landing 30 throws a match anyways.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
GRAWR!!! WHY IS EVERYONE SAYING SNAKE IS UNKILLABLE!!! sorry. just practice you dodges and you should be totally fine.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Lol, too late to bother with this post seriously, but gotta say <3 keeper shrink and pyronic =P let this thread die along with the other similar ones started by those who aren't intelligent enough to overcome olimar on their own, this is their only comfort =)

-True
I <3 you too True ;)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Every character is a noob character, in the wrong hands. :p

Olimar is one of the tougher characters to be amazing with though. And if you can't beat a bad Olimar, I don't know what to say to you....

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Zamato is n00b... Face it!

Just had to say it. And why didn't you mention his epic lulz recovery? <_<

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
then why r there so little olimar players? and whens the last time you have heard him mentioned as a top tier?
enough said :)

Y'know... to be honest, I hear him mentioned as top tier ALOT.

And judging from the favorite character/main poll, he's not unpopular, and there are really lots of Olimars.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
It's amazing the different views people take- most of my Brawl-playing friends insist Olimar is a terrible character.

By the way, as I'm sure many of these Olimar players will agree, Marth and Ike are our death. Their swords take out Pikmin easily, and they have great range. Try using a swordsman next time you face an Olimar.

P. S.: Does giving him tips make me a traitor? Sorry...

Zamato

Smash Rookie
awwww, poor you, did someone get beat by a bad olly - I hate to break it to you, but you could make this type of argument for soooo many characters in brawl - this is just the nature of the game...and if you really can't beat an olly that stands still - then you sir need some practice.
I never said, i cant beat a Olly that stands still, i said, thats the best way to use him. Also, no i did not get beat by him, i was the one beating. I realized how cheap he is though my own usage of the Char.

Final point, once again no, you can't argue that any character is cheap. When a n00b comes along and puts up a solid performance against a pro, only using the C-stick, then their is obviously something wrong.

He's top tier, no doubt about it.

Zamato

Smash Rookie
It's amazing the different views people take- most of my Brawl-playing friends insist Olimar is a terrible character.

By the way, as I'm sure many of these Olimar players will agree, Marth and Ike are our death. Their swords take out Pikmin easily, and they have great range. Try using a swordsman next time you face an Olimar.

P. S.: Does giving him tips make me a traitor? Sorry...
The Pikmen are nearly invincible. Let's say you were lucky enough to kill a pikmen. All Olly has to do is instantly pull on out of the ground. BUT, that gives you a second for an attack. Usually a dash attack is the only option, thats one free attack, then the process starts all over again.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Olly is cheap

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
Not invincible- Purple and blue both can take around 15 dmg before they die, red and yellow take 9, and whites are killed with a measly 4 dmg. Once I was throwing Pikmin at Ness; he pulls out his bat and kills 5 with one blow.

Also, Olimars entire invincibility period after being KOed has to be used plucking Pikmin.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
@gannondorf4ever
i hear very few people say he is, but if thats the case then i guess i was wrong? do u want me now to actually not be lazy and disprove the argument?

@Zamato
this does not make him cheap........ no offense... it shows a lack of skill on your part. we all know people that c-stick, and most call them noobs.... but quite frankly they are easy to beat if you are experienced, their patterns are dam near set in stone and when you counter it they are done. you know exactly what they are going to do, i sometimes tell people what a "c-sticker" will do before they know what they will do before is so ridiculously predictable. maybe you should sit back and actually think of a counter to what i am assuming our obvous tactics since you are saying the player is such a noob.

@Odlanier
marth may be a nightmare haha, so gay.......... but ike.. he's so easy its sad, the only thing he has to really worry about is his jab, but since oli has range ike litterally has no real advantage, oli is fast, ike is slow, and ike's f-b is gimpable with a pikmin.

but i really should not be fueling this thread, so i'm going to stop, if someone has a true thread about olimar opposed to "he is a noob character face it" please make it and i will gladly reply to it, or pm me with a question because i really do not wanna help a thread that is someone ranting on about an olimar they can not defeat

still mad i actually posted again, i'm done, last post no matter what, if anyone wants a response from me (for what ever reason it may be) pm me, because i am refusing to post on this particular thread

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Who arranges Pikmin??? Not tryina' be an ***, but this isn't Trading Spaces. What a waste of time when you could be: edge hogging, tech chasing, defending, or attacking. All the Pikmin do the same thing; they hurt. What is to say you would even connect with the Pikmin you selected anyways? Not very reliable.
ROFL... umm how about any good Olimar player?

If you dont arrange your pikmin you might be using a white for an aerial which really sucks if you could have used a red or yellow... arranging them makes it easier to plan out your approach.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Pikmin not only hurt, they have different abilities and strengths of varying degrees. My point was that I intend to get a yellow Pikmin in my U-Air after a D-Throw grab. Yellow's n my opinion, are the best combo-makers. In order for me to get a yellow, I have to arrange my Pikmin, but very quickly. It's not going to hurt arranging Pikmin for a couple of seconds.

(P.S. I see your point though gammonwalker, so its a fair point)

totaKK

Smash Apprentice
please, your arguments are so fraillll

the only situation of Olimar being mistaken of being a noob char. is how well he fares against computers, you can win any computer match with Olimar by simply walking and flicking the C stick(try if you want^ ^)
how does this happen? cpus can't really learn to a full competetive capacity to fit a player's style
this can be said about some smash players as well *cough cough*
are you saying you can't amount to a computer?

personally, I enjoy playing Olimars, and the challenges he poses. if I have a problem with a character, I'd work out strategies instead of just labling it *unbeatable* and *noob* and wine about it on the boards

frankly..its annoying

???????

Smash Journeyman
Isn't this the same guy who said Mario was terrible? Olimar is good and has a lot of potential but the terms “cheap” and "noob" are foolish to be thrown about so casually.

*It actually takes quite a bit of skill and patience to play well as Olimar*

GenG

Smash Lord
Olimar lasting up to 170%? You haven't played Snake or Metaknight yet. I usually die around 90% but I still win nonetheless.

Zamato

Smash Rookie
please, your arguments are so fraillll

the only situation of Olimar being mistaken of being a noob char. is how well he fares against computers, you can win any computer match with Olimar by simply walking and flicking the C stick(try if you want^ ^)
how does this happen? cpus can't really learn to a full competetive capacity to fit a player's style
this can be said about some smash players as well *cough cough*
are you saying you can't amount to a computer?

personally, I enjoy playing Olimars, and the challenges he poses. if I have a problem with a character, I'd work out strategies instead of just labling it *unbeatable* and *noob* and wine about it on the boards

frankly..its annoying
I see your not being honest in your second paragraph! Your first one, i don't understand, i can **** computers Lv. 9 no problem, i was facing a human with Olimar (And a rather good one) ***** every single one of his Chars. using these ridiculous n00b "tactics." I could beat this guy, and the next. All good players getting owned by a cheap *** character. I'm being honest with myself, I'm willing to admit (Along with a few honest individual on this thread) that Olimar is cheap and clearly overpowered.

Are you familiar with COD4 by any chance? If you are then you are surely aquanted with the M16 AKA the n00b gun. The gun is clearly unbalanced, and it clearly ruins the game! Olimar is like the M16 of SSMB! People over time will begin to realize it, take my word!

What makes a good game is BALANCE! Yes, any good player can adapt to unbalanced situations, but thats not what any game should be about! It's about a fair honorable battle, skill verse skill. When a unbalanced character is introduced into the game, all the other players are at an automatic handicap.

I'm not whining or being a baby, as many people have implied on this thread. I am simply, stating my complaints with an unbalanced character. I feel i backed my my point up with valid arguments. Agree or disagree, thats all i care about, so wille everyone cut the "whinny" BS.

Much Appreciated

Zamato

Smash Rookie
Zamato REPLY

Isn't this the same guy who said Mario was terrible? Olimar is good and has a lot of potential but the terms “cheap” and "noob" are foolish to be thrown about so casually.

*It actually takes quite a bit of skill and patience to play well as Olimar*
No, i have never complained about Mario, even though i should! He was nerfed so bad, i hate that water tank **** on his back. To me, it ruins the authenticity of what mario is about! If Nintendo wanted to make a Super Mario Sunshine Mario, they should have made it a completely different Char. similar to what they did with Dr. Mario in Melee. I loved mario in the original SSM and i liked him in Melee, and im once again pissed that they changed him! I'm an old timer, you have to realize i grew up on these games. I get really disappointed when Nintendo forgets about the old guys, and tries to appeal to the new kids. Kinda like how they ditched Mewtwo for Lucaio! Who the **** is Lucario? WTF Nintendo!

Addressing your point ab:out n00b and cheap being thrown around. Be sure to keep those words in proper context, I am using them to make a point. It may come across a little bit whiny, but please keep in mind my tone is right on the line with exasperation.

"*It actually takes quite a bit of skill and patience to play well as Olimar*"

Apparently where playing different Olimars

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Zamato your arguments actually haven't proven olimar's unbalanced, and by your poor description of balance suggested in your COD4 example your actually just making it more obvious. You are not of very much gaming prestige, nor are you familiar with it. If you were, you wouldn't consider the M16 so imbalanced, and you wouldn't make the argument based on you being able to beat your friends, which have any proof of merit. (nor do you but i'll leave that aside for now) Simply because you can pick up a character your friends are unfamiliar with and win by doing things you feel are cheap states nothing about the character what so ever. No "noob" has csticked his way to a close game with a pro using olimar, nor ever will one. Pikmin are from from invincible, and for starters your target is olimar, not the pikmin, and if you can't find holes in Olimar's defense and lag, then realize that the shortcomings of you and those around you are not grounds for your position on Olimar as a character.

So because I try to point out the good if its actually there, I'll point you towards the very last thing you've said, and the only thing you should actually consider when realizing I'm right, "Apparently where playing different Olimars." Now I have to assume you meant were, not where, and under that assumption you actually made a valid point, yes you are playing a different olimar than many here, you are playing a poor repetitive olimar that your mentally challenged friends are never going to overcome. No one has ever pushed any of you competitively to be any good, odds are you've never even really played anyone of note, and as such have an incredibly uninformed and underdeveloped understanding of the characters, the mechanics, the strategy, probably most aspects of the game. Thats not our fault, but please don't bother wasting our time with your trivial comments. Come back when you've actually done something of note, or even understand things of note, and then rather than cause senseless bickering you'll contribute to intelligent discussion.

-True

keeper

Smash Champion
Please go get educated (in anything, if you wish to carry this discussion on, I recommend Smash and Olimar) before arguing anything.

Sounds like you really need some real competition to put you in your place so you stop acting the way you are right now. It's getting annoying and I grow unamused by it.

Zamato

Smash Rookie
Please go get educated (in anything, if you wish to carry this discussion on, I recommend Smash and Olimar) before arguing anything.

Sounds like you really need some real competition to put you in your place so you stop acting the way you are right now. It's getting annoying and I grow unamused by it.

Heres a magical solution! Don't look at the thread!!!! I know, isn't that such a profound suggestion?

Zamato

Smash Rookie
Zamato your arguments actually haven't proven olimar's unbalanced, and by your poor description of balance suggested in your COD4 example your actually just making it more obvious. You are not of very much gaming prestige, nor are you familiar with it. If you were, you wouldn't consider the M16 so imbalanced, and you wouldn't make the argument based on you being able to beat your friends, which have any proof of merit. (nor do you but i'll leave that aside for now) Simply because you can pick up a character your friends are unfamiliar with and win by doing things you feel are cheap states nothing about the character what so ever. No "noob" has csticked his way to a close game with a pro using olimar, nor ever will one. Pikmin are from from invincible, and for starters your target is olimar, not the pikmin, and if you can't find holes in Olimar's defense and lag, then realize that the shortcomings of you and those around you are not grounds for your position on Olimar as a character.

So because I try to point out the good if its actually there, I'll point you towards the very last thing you've said, and the only thing you should actually consider when realizing I'm right, "Apparently where playing different Olimars." Now I have to assume you meant were, not where, and under that assumption you actually made a valid point, yes you are playing a different olimar than many here, you are playing a poor repetitive olimar that your mentally challenged friends are never going to overcome. No one has ever pushed any of you competitively to be any good, odds are you've never even really played anyone of note, and as such have an incredibly uninformed and underdeveloped understanding of the characters, the mechanics, the strategy, probably most aspects of the game. Thats not our fault, but please don't bother wasting our time with your trivial comments. Come back when you've actually done something of note, or even understand things of note, and then rather than cause senseless bickering you'll contribute to intelligent discussion.

-True
I'm a Prestige 10 in COD4, so I'm more then equated with the game, thank your very much. Any person who is honest with them self will admit that the M16 is unbalanced. If you have played the game (Which i doubt you have) then the unbalance would be quickly noticeable.

My friends are familiar with Olimar, and they are of equal skill of me. It doesn't matter what skill me are, we could be n00bs. The thing that makes the SSMB series so great is its learning curve for the newcomers. All the maters is that we are of equal skill. In the first SSMB the games were skill vs. skill because the characters were pretty **** balanced. In Melee, the charaters were not, but for n00bs they were. In Brawl, Olimar is cheap, and he is hard for any beginner to beat. So I'll play along with your sly insult by implying that i suck as well as my friends. It doesn't make a difference, as long as we have equal skill the games should be fair. Olimar is easy to play, hard as hell to beat. That is why he is top tier, and that is why i hate him.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Even if the guy you're playing against is good, your arguments make you sound like a noob.

How about this? If Olimar is so cheap, unbalanced, unfair, why don't you play him? Surely, the reason he's cheap is because you're getting owned, not because you're so good with him that you're winning tournaments. Because if you were winning tournaments, you wouldn't be complaining about how cheap he is and how anyone can do it, and all that other ****....

Olimar is tough to play above a noob level. He has 5 different attacks for every possible move, each with a different spacing and timing. Not to mention, if he's hit off the stage, he's basically ****ed if you know what you're doing. How is this a noob character? Better yet, how is anyone a noob character, other than that noobs could use them to beat other noobs?

Top Bottom