• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
some videos of me playing olimar at the last tournament we had. I ended up placing 4th out of like 30 people.

TheSlyMoogle (olimar) vs. Ben (Yoshi)

This was the first time I'd ever fought a Yoshi in Brawl, or really Melee too. This is what sent me to Loser's after I won a match that wasn't recorded against a Samus player.

TheSlyMoogle (olimar) vs. Ryan (Bowser)

My first match in Loser's. Obviously a scrub on campus.

TheSlyMoogle (olimar) vs. Jais (Snake)

Like 3rd match in Loser's, had to fight my friend Jais. Snake < Olimar. Thank you red Pikmin.

TheSlyMoogle (Olimar) vs. Andy (Pikachu)

I guess I should have lost that fight, but I eventually figured out how to deal with Pikachu's new and amazing down smash. He messed up in the end, but I still might have won if he made it back to the stage. Also my first fight against a pikachu.

In the 4th place match I used fox against Ice Climbers. I caved in, knowing that Ice Climbers attack my face with their hammers. It was the first time I had played fox in Brawl, and I almost won it. I will not post it though.

Over all I think I did pretty well. Luckily these were recorded so I can fix some of the mistakes I made.

What do you guys think?

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
The fight with Pikachu got really annoying to watch. I don't mean that negatively but I was really waiting for the fight to pick up. I guess what was hard to watch was the fact that Pikachu had the same tactic and you kept falling for it. Just a personal observation - don't be offended.

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
The fight with Pikachu got really annoying to watch. I don't mean that negatively but I was really waiting for the fight to pick up. I guess what was hard to watch was the fact that Pikachu had the same tactic and you kept falling for it. Just a personal observation - don't be offended.
I understand. It's cool. Constructive Criticism. It works with guilty gear.

It's hard in the middle of the match to realize what you're doing wrong and adjust.

Especially since smash isn't something I really ever played seriously.

Like I said I think I did pretty well at the end of the fight though, but in all honesty I should have lost.

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
*If this has already been said just ignore me* ^^
So it seems to me that on the vid against kirby on yoshi's story, the kirby grabs a pikmin at ~5:06 (i think) i'm guessing this is becuase the pikmin was infront of olimar. Could this me a possible way to avoid sheid grabs and turn them to your own benefit? Like nana in the IC but better becuase you can just pull more pikmin. Again sorry if this has already been said.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Here is another vid of the best and most uniqe olimar edgehogger so far imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-BiWdiO74&feature=user
Love that edgehogging.

One of the better Olimar matches I've seen...who knew a Falcon player would take to DDD so well, eh?

TSM[/I}: I can sympathize, it can be irritating playing against people who spam a single strategy rather than actually fighting you. SHL camping, Needle cancel grabbing, dash dance camp Usmashing...seen 'em all in Melee. Also hard to show off your true potential.

I find what works best is to, for one time only, sit back and take the stragegy. If you stop playing the person and just watch (which might cause you to lose a stock) then you're watching and no longer playing, and that can help you figure out how to avoid the strategy the other twenty-million times your opponent is going to spam it.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Smashboards won't let me edit my post. =/

At 0:20 (and 1:02, Olimar does some weird jump after having already used his midair jump. I thought it could be the footstool, but Marth does his upB from the ground almost immediately afterward...so unless Marth (a fast character) has heavy armor, I can't figure out what's going on here. Help would be appreciated, thank you.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Suggestion, perhaps not just yet waiting for a few more vids out, but adding another section of Top Picks or Best Play would be helpful. Pages of specific matchups are awesome, especially if someones interested in a specific character matchup, but to give newcomers a good idea, or to set apart the matches that are being discussed.
Just an idea, I understand its a ton of work and to put one persons opinions of videos will probably spur senseless debate. The current setup is a tad overwhelming, with no guarantee of the level of play. As brawl hits US release theres gonna be a huge flood of more videos, and getting things set up now will prevent things from becoming a HUGE mess to be dealt with later.
Either way, thanks for keeping this up, either way all the video in one thread is better than across many threads =)

-True

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Lol, I keep thinking of TrueEquals whenever I see you sign your name.

Annnywayyy...

what if you organized PaO matches by player, then list each individual match as who s/he's fighting. So like,

Echo

Snake(Knorr)FD
PT(Projectiled)SV
...etc

AmcD

Bokkusu(Link)YS
Foulplay(Marth)BF:2
---

DSF

And so on in that fashion. Any number is the corresponding number in the set for instances such as DSF who switched to MK third or fourth match in the finals. This organization would allow you to easily pick out matchups you wanted, and smashboards goers would know who was and wasn't a decent Olimar. Not to mention, I doubt bad Olimar videos will be suggested in about two months time.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Combo vid got pushed back a day it will be released late on the 25th if not the morning of the 26th due to a local tournament that I hope to get some games recorded at.
Isn't it a bit early to be making a combo video? I don't even have the game yet. :p

But seriously, first REED's bringing the new Revolution and now this...it all seems too rushed. Although it'd make an excelent discussion piece in this thread...<.< Do what you will. But on another note, what program are you using to cut apart and edit together your videos?

IllidR

Smash Champion
Annnywayyy...

what if you organized PaO matches by player, then list each individual match as who s/he's fighting
Let's wait on that for a little bit. We're going to get a massive influx of players with the release in America, so after that we'll be able to distinguish the good, devoted Olimar players from the mediocre or bad ones. We'll revamp the site after that.

MrCheez said:
Just wanted to pop in again to add a new video to the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Vz6eEDKV8

Olimar (MrCheez) vs Toon Link (Lvl 9 CPU) on Great Sea (best stage evar)
Sorry MrCheez, I don't think I'm going to put up player VS CPU videos anymore, unless they're truly amazing. We're getting a lot of great player videos and I'd like to devote this thread more to those.

Isn't it a bit early to be making a combo video? I don't even have the game yet. :p

But seriously, first REED's bringing the new Revolution and now this...it all seems too rushed. Although it'd make an excelent discussion piece in this thread...<.< Do what you will. But on another note, what program are you using to cut apart and edit together your videos?
I think you misunderstood Textbook, Rhyme. He's talking about a video demonstrating the "Textbook" Zero=To=Death Combo. We'd still like to see a good demonstration of it so get it up as soon as you can Textbook Ninja.

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
I didn't read all the pages but, I wanna main Oli+pik and was wondering if anyone had any good strats,moves blah blah(u get it) I could use.. He looks and is a fun character to play with.. nice vids btw

and you guys got your own site? (just read page 15) could some1 post it :D

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Well tell ya what, if you guys want the video just pm me. if I get enough pms Ill just post it for public and then submit it to the forums.

The vid includes in game combos, and of course "Textbook combos" that I managed to do. Rhyme does make a point though, maybe a bit to early. Hence why Ill just say PM me and if I get at least 30 people that want it, Ill just post in in a new thread.

Either way as much as you all want to think Im some guy behind a controller 24/7- sorry to disapoint - I just had to move to a new area for my job, so internet will be down for a bit so dont expect any updates til monday or tuesday on that vid.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Actually, it's not that crazy. If you're good at Smash and can regularly compete and win prize money consistenly, you could easily play Smash for a living.
Mom: So joey, you are now halfway through your junior year of highschool. You have to think about what you want to do for a living

joey: Play smash.

I think my parents would strangle me.

Playing smash for a living sounds fine to me!

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
ROFL...

Ill think about it, 60k annual salary or a salary that is based soley on how fantabulously awesome I am at smash, and sometimes not even winning money but winning other random accessories or systems.

Screw it, Im sacking my major, telling my boss to F'Off and marching out of the office with one arm held high holding a GC controller. The women will flock to me once I step out of the office and Ill lean over and be like... "You wanna... you know... smash?"

And this will innevitably end in me becoming some hardcore famous celebrity like the koreans and starcraft, and you will see me everywhere. McDonalds motto will change from "Im loving it" to "Textbook's loving it" and it will have a picture of me on your coffee cups you see every morning with an explosion in the backround and "SMASH like a pro" in big red and yellow letters.

Throughout my career of "KICKING @$$" I will of course have many babies with many different beautiful women. And an army of my children (oddly who all look like olimar with a bulb head, giant nose, and hair that looks like an antanna) will uprise to destroy me at my own game in the future. Then I will lose my career, ego, and faith in myself.

You will find me kicking cups with my face on them down the alleyways of new york city. And I will randomly stop in to gamestops and beat people at smash for a high.

Then a few months later Ill go to a doctors office and they will take an x-ray and it will show clots in my hands and fingers. Two weeks later I will die from smash cancer.

My tombstone will be shaped like olimar, and on it it will say - "You wanna... you know... smash?" People from around the world will come to put gamecube controllers on my tombstone. And they will weep.

ahem... anyway, I gatta get back to work.

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
*sorry for the wall of text and double post, editting was bieng dumb and wasnt saving the changes*

Rhyme I use Dazzle for capture, Adobe Premiere Pro 7 for editting, and virtual dub for encoding.

6 Pm's so far -at least 14 more til I even think about posting the vid btw.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Hey IllidR i've been working my way through all the oli vids up so far, noting/critiquing certain ones when i have the time. Could you do me a favor and any new vids you put up Star or Date or something so I know? Would be appreciated =) Also what happened to the flow of new videos, all you oli players who have the game seem to be holding out lately, seems like little has been added lately =P

-True

IllidR

Smash Champion
Hey IllidR i've been working my way through all the oli vids up so far, noting/critiquing certain ones when i have the time. Could you do me a favor and any new vids you put up Star or Date or something so I know? Would be appreciated =) Also what happened to the flow of new videos, all you oli players who have the game seem to be holding out lately, seems like little has been added lately =P

-True
Well unfortunately I don't know any of the dates the videos were added so you're out of luck there. But whenever I do update videos they'll most likely, unless of two players that played together before as that same character, be added to the bottom of the list.

Darkpaladin of Chaos said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rov_dbiYE
That disturbs me in SOO many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom