• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not overly enthusiastic about any of them either, but they have potential in a moveset, olimar's down B does about nothing so I think that the others are good.

Pokemon is the 2nd best nintendo franchise going by selling odds, it loses only to mario, so I think it's safe to say it's a giant franchise!!!
His Down be recalls Pikmin and makes relatively useful Super Armor if timed right. It's an integral part of the series, so it should stay in some form.

I know that Pokemon is the next best selling, I was just using your "time frame" logic against you.

Also, even if you may not like the Pikmin games, that is no reason for their character to get cut...

jigglover

Smash Lord
His Down be recalls Pikmin and makes relatively useful Super Armor if timed right. It's an integral part of the series, so it should stay in some form.

I know that Pokemon is the next best selling, I was just using your "time frame" logic against you.

Also, even if you may not like the Pikmin games, that is no reason for their character to get cut...
I'm just saying that Pikmin isn't a massive franchise like plenty of the other series'. When you said that I don't like the Pikmin games, that is entirely untrue, I've only actually played the original pikmin, and I found it incredible, I commented on a neutral perspective, and the fact that I'm the only one of my friends that actually likes pikmin.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm just saying that Pikmin isn't a massive franchise like plenty of the other series'. When you said that I don't like the Pikmin games, that is entirely untrue, I've only actually played the original pikmin, and I found it incredible, I commented on a neutral perspective, and the fact that I'm the only one of my friends that actually likes pikmin.
Ah, I misunderstood what you meant by "I wasn't incredibly enthusiastic." I see what you meant now. It just seemed as though you were calling it unworthy. My apologies, haha.

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
Olimar is an under utilize character that didn't get a chance to evolve to his full potential in the Brawl meta game. I hope he stays about the same, in terms of grab range, power, and use of certain pikmin in certain situations.

My question is what are the chances he doesn't end up in the new Smash? It wouldn't make sense not to have him in this game after Pikmin 3, right? I also saw that Olimar might not even be playable in Pikmin 3, any truth to this?

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, according to an interview about the game, there's a reason for Olimar's absence, being a secret plot point, I assume. I doubt he'll be removed, though, as he's the face of the series. Plus, it could be like the President in Pikmin 2, where you can play as the President after a certain point, but with Olimar. Just my opinion.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, according to an interview about the game, there's a reason for Olimar's absence, being a secret plot point, I assume. I doubt he'll be removed, though, as he's the face of the series. Plus, it could be like the President in Pikmin 2, where you can play as the President after a certain point, but with Olimar. Just my opinion.
Maybe Olimar is the new Hocotate President! O_o

Well, he WAS the only employee of any merit at the company.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That would actually be pretty cool, no doubt. I wonder how much time has past between 2 and 3. I mean, 2 came immediately after 1, but so far there is no indication of when 3 takes place.

That could be really interesting to know, actually.

cloud9

Smash Cadet
I think Olimar should have his up special changed to a geyser. Basically, one of the geysers that blasts you out of caves in Pikmin 2 appears underneath him and shoots him upwards. Not only would it be stronger than that piece of crap Pikmin Chain, but it's something he actually does.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not to mention, he actually does that in the Pikmin games. I'm all for a change to his Up B. Whether it be a geyser or the Pink Pikmin from Pikmin 3, I just don't think the tether was a good choice.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Maybe Olimar will stay ( I DON"T WANT HIM TO BE CUT!), and he will only use the five basic pikmin types

AND there will be a new Pikmin 3 character that can use only the 3 originals plus the rock and pink flying pikmins.

THE FUTURE?

The cyan haired guy as an "A" under him, so we can call him Captain A until his full name is revealed.

Also, there are mushroom pikmins, bulbmins and there is a rumor that Pikmin 3 will still reveal more new species.

D

Deleted member

Well, Pikmin 3 DOES incorporate a new Swarm skill.
It wouldn't be farfetched if a new Pikmin character used such an attack where he/she sends out ALL available Pikmin to attack all at once.
However, I have doubts about a new Pikmin character in general unless there is plenty of differences between the main player of 3 in terms of what he/she can do.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I would love it if Olimar used flying Pikmin specifically for a better recovery regardless if they are in his party ore not.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Olimar confirmed to be in Pikmin 3 in some form or fashion.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
I could realistically see two Pikmin characters.

Olimar bringing back all his old Pikmin (if he's playable at all), and one of the new Pikmin protagonists bringing in Rock and Flying Pikmin (but no purples or whites).

D

Deleted member

Olimar in multiplayer mode as P2 with Alph as P1?

Methinks Olimar and Alph as a semi-clone seems reasonable.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I think the idea of adding a new Pikmin rep sounds plausible as a semi-clone, to introduce the new rock and flying Pikmin. But besides that they need different movesets in that case.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I was talking to some people in the General Discussion Thread about the 3DS limitations and how characters like PT, Zelda, Olimar and IC in particular can be tweaked for optimal performance.

The issue with Olimar is that he currently has the ability to pluck 6 AI characters (Pikmin) from the ground, put 4 Olimar players on the field and things can become a bit hectic.

One thing I suggested was that Olimar could receive a moveset overhaul, and do away with the Pikmin party gimmick. He would instead just resort to swinging Pikmin out of thin air for his aerials and smashed

Here is what I got so far Olimar possible new specials:

If his recovery move were to be replaced with something else, I would suggest him being picked up by 2 Flying Pikmin by his shoulders; it would function similarly to how R.O.B's recovery does in Brawl

I think his forward special could be a Pikmin Chain Whip like his recovery initially was in brawl, but it would be used like Shiek's forward B.

His down special or neutral special could be him dousing his Pikmin with the Spicy Spray to power up his Pikmin for a short amount of time It would be like Hakan from Street Fighter, how he constantly has to oil/lube up to be dangerous on the field:
It wouldn't be constant spraying of course, he would have a cool down timer and his little light antenna on his suit would begin to blink when the spray is ready for use again. That way Kirby's Special would be using the spray to temporarily boost up (not as much as Olimar can of course); instead of being some weird mix of his neutral special and side special [/quote]

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
@ Monkey
I'd be fine with that if it was limited to just the 3DS version, and Olimar has all his former glory in the Wii U one. I'd be disappointed if one of the most unique smash characters was dumbed down just because the 3DS held it back.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
@ Monkey
I'd be fine with that if it was limited to just the 3DS version, and Olimar has all his former glory in the Wii U one. I'd be disappointed if one of the most unique smash characters was dumbed down just because the 3DS held it back.
I would prefer that too, but unfortunately Sakurai has stated that he wanted both games to play nearly identical to each other; and if he is to make olimar work, he is going to have to change up olimar to some degree for both versions to be "nearly" identical.

Speculator

Smash Ace
5:58.
Player 1 is Alph. Player 2 is Olimar.
Ah, quite right. I saw blue and immediately thought of Louie.

I had a thought regarding Rock Pikmin, by the way - what if they were single-use? Perhaps they have shield-breaking properties, but die when the shield explodes?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Considering Sakurai mentioned the limitation of the 3DS, is it possible that Olimar might be "degimmicked" as a charater? As in, getting rid the 'pikmin following behind him' trait and instead just having him pull pikmin out of his pocket when he attacks or throws them. If anything it could at least lead to a better recovery

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Alph is the blue-haired one, Brittany is the pink-haired one and Charlie is the one with the badge. My guess is the tall character will have a name that starts with the letter D. I theorize that Alph, since he is player 1 in Bingo Battle, will be considered the main character of Pikmin 3 and will either replace Olimar on the roster or appear alongside him as a semi-clone, but I personally hope that Pikmin will only get one character rep. It's one of my favorite Nintendo franchises but it's not as deserving as others, like Metroid and F-Zero. Those two in particular needed a new character long ago.

I've noticed that a lot of people want Olimar's recovery to change. If they did that, other aspects of Olimar's moveset would have to be nerfed in order to make up for the improvement. His poor recovery is part of what makes Olimar balanced and allows him to have other ridiculous things, like his long-range grab. Olimar's recovery should stay his weakness.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Like said above I wish to keep Olimar as he is in Brawl, he was perfect. It seems Alph is the main character of Pikmin 3 and I think that Olimar is too iconic of the Pikmin franchise so I do not think they will replace him with Alph. I would support Pikmin getting Alph as another rep using the Rock and Flying Pikmin instead of the traditional five. They could just cut back on the number of Pikmin for the 3DS version, maybe to 3 Pikmin on the screen at once.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So it looks like he's basically the same as in Brawl.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/pikmin.html

Which is super awesome.

Though there's no 3DS screenshots yet which makes me think that we're looking at Olimar still being built for the 3DS version. Which is expected due to programming Pikmin AI.

He keeps all five Pikmin types he previously had. Nothing is seen of Rock or Flying Pikmin.

Hopefully more reveals soon.

D

Deleted member

I just go on the website and am greeted with a picture of Olimar. I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS.

Pretty pleasant surprise, I had loads of fun with him in brawl, wonder how he's been changed in Smash 4. That (supposed) Pikmin stage looks absolutely Beautiful too.

I apparently also need to edit every post I make 5 times because I can't stand grammar mistakes.

Top Bottom