• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimars jab lock

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
While I was brawling with ness and pulled off a jab lock I thought, maybe oli could have one too... I knew this hasn't been found UNTILL NOW.

at first I tryd the normal jabs and tilts but ofcourse they didnt work, then I remebered watching a vid of peach's bair trap lock. As an oli main I knew dair had 2 hitboxes to so I tryd it.

hitting with the 2nd hitbox is quite hard to do on a opponent on the floor while actually keeping good speed and precision, but it really IS possible! if you dont seem to get the second lock you just need to be a tiny bit faster, I've done it once (training mode ofcourse).

also due to different pikmin the hitbox changes and im not sure if the lock will continue with all different sorts of pikmin....

not very likely that you will pull this of if you look at how many times a normal jab lock accures..but still wanted to share with you people. (its almost impossible xD)

I'll maybe post a vid but not anywere soon.

EDIT: because you probably wont do this lock ever there is a use to the second bair hit. when you're fast enough you can hit the opponent on the floor with that hit and combo in a f smash, down smash, fair etc. (real combo ofcourse)...but I guess you'll just go for the smash instead of doing this...is is quite useful and easy though once you get the timing. when you fair somebody around 32% the will faal to the ground and you can follow up with the 2nd bair hit if they dont tech. all this crap for a not really interesting move but I can't help myself :')

Cook

Smash Master
Recently I had a jab lock on Wario... when I wasn't facing him. The hitbox behind Olimar on the second jab kept him locked for like 40% damage or something. Was hilarious.

Ha2On

Smash Apprentice
olimar gets insane through a tech, that happens once in 1000 matches^^

but still good to know

Ha2On

Smash Apprentice
but in a game, you can't decide how many pikmins you have, it just happens^^

you have to be able to pull it off with an random amount of pikmins

xoxokev

Smash Lord
but in a game, you can't decide how many pikmins you have, it just happens^^

you have to be able to pull it off with an random amount of pikmins
but you CAN choose to throw your pikmin away... i think.

another way you can choose how many pikmin you have out is by only plucking a certain amount when you respawn.

also, i've heard of people that actually prefer to use less pikmin

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
what he's saying is that opportunities for jab locks dont come whenever you want them to. You cant throw away all but one pikmin and afterwards have a really good chance at pulling a lock off. More than likely it'll mess up, and all you'll have accomplished is throwing your pikmin off stage.

Ha2On

Smash Apprentice
what he's saying is that opportunities for jab locks dont come whenever you want them to. You cant throw away all but one pikmin and afterwards have a really good chance at pulling a lock off. More than likely it'll mess up, and all you'll have accomplished is throwing your pikmin off stage.
thats exactly exactly what i was trying to say

Snail

Smash Lord
Yeah this is a bit gimmicky. It might have some use if it works with all kinds of pikmin but purples are likely to mess it up, and there's probably a % limit to this as well?

I haven't managed to pull it off consistently yet... and I don't know if it's really worth the trouble xD

Snail

Smash Lord
you can have one pikmin just throw the others away and for a certain pikmin just blow the whistle to get off the pikmin you want then you finally get to the pikmin you want and all the other pikmin are gone
Yeah and you're going to do all that while the other guy is lying there on the ground waiting for you to get that one pikmin you need to do the lock? ><

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
you can have one pikmin just throw the others away and for a certain pikmin just blow the whistle to get off the pikmin you want then you finally get to the pikmin you want and all the other pikmin are gone
I lol'd.

This barely makes any sense.
The point is that having only one pikmin is a BAD idea, and there's no reason you'd want to be in this situation, jab lock or not.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Purposely having a small number of pikmin is almost always a bad idea, now included. This is pretty cool, but it's completely situational, especially since it's rare that oli will have the opponent on the ground for it. Also....
Ha2On, your sig makes no sense rofl. "not because he is to good, but i don't like high tiers^^" Marth is currently A tier (high/top) and oli is B (high). Just sayin :p

IcyLight

Smash Lord
rainbow cruise is my counterpick now because of jab locking, it has been known just very situational.

on the first part while on teh ship in RC, you can bthrow into the ships hull(that small corner there) and jab lock to 70 and end with a usmash. also works on any other flat walls, like in delinfo, any bthrow but purple at low % will put them in the wall. it's amazing. =]

Excellence

Smash Champion
I lol'd.

This barely makes any sense.
The point is that having only one pikmin is a BAD idea, and there's no reason you'd want to be in this situation, jab lock or not.
I disagree with you. I actually do a few match-ups a lot better with just two Pikmin. Peach vs Olimar, I use two Purple Pikmin and nothing else until I get to about 70%.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
EDIT: because you probably wont do this lock ever there is a use to the second bair hit. when you're fast enough you can hit the opponent on the floor with that hit and combo in a f smash, down smash, fair etc. (real combo ofcourse)...but I guess you'll just go for the smash instead of doing this...is is quite useful and easy though once you get the timing. when you fair somebody around 32% the will faal to the ground and you can follow up with the 2nd bair hit if they dont tech. all this crap for a not really interesting move but I can't help myself :')
Lol, AndyG laughed at me like 6 months ago for proposing dair->dtilt. I've been using the weak (NOT second hit. It's... a sex kick I suppose. >_>) hit of the dair for months to combo into other attacks. It's great. I didn't know about the locking properties though. I'll have to experiment with it some.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
people, suggesting to throw your pikmin away aint a real smart idea :p you wont pull this **** of alot :p
what you will pull of way more is a one hit jab lock to another attack like f smash, full hit dair etc. (like quoted above)

just wanted you guys to know it existed.

DanGR, what did you mean with the weak hit but not the second hit?

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
so you mean the hit that still spikes but is weaker ? in that case I understand.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
so you mean the hit that still spikes but is weaker ? in that case I understand.
Olimar's dair has one hitbox that gets weaker the longer it's out. If you hit your opponent with the correct part of the dair the instant the hitbox comes out, it'll spike. If you use it too late, the weaker portion of the dair will hit, the opponent won't be spiked, and will instead just get knocked slightly forward as if you didn't hit them with the spiking part. That's the part that has locking properties. In short, it's not another hitbox. It's just the weaker portion of the dair that has locking properties- as do a lot of other attacks.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
I've been using the weak (NOT second hit. It's... a sex kick I suppose. >_>) hit of the dair for months to combo into other attacks.

how can you use the weak hit wich IS the second hit (with second hit I meant the "weaker" one but I called it the second hit because it has a different hibox than the normal dair and can only hit after the first hitbox but you know that).

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
I've been using the weak (NOT second hit. It's... a sex kick I suppose. >_>) hit of the dair for months to combo into other attacks.

how can you use the weak hit which IS the second hit (with second hit I meant the "weaker" one but I called it the second hit because it has a different hitbox than the normal dair and can only hit after the first hitbox but you know that).
There is only one hitbox, dair has a longlasting(and disjointed) hitbox which power(damage and knockback) decreases after its initiated. It is the same hitbox, time just diminishes its effect once the move is used.

It has both sweet-spotting and sour-spotting properties in a way, the time its used and how close your opponent is to you effects the outcome of the move.

By the way, why isn't this thread called "Olimar's dair lock"?

Top Bottom