• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Traps & Set-up (?)

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I'm not quite sure if someone has already posted about this on the forum, but if not I will put it on here.
It would be helpful to the newcomers who are searching more info about Olimar, because I know everyone already know this.
Maybe the title is wrong and there is another name, but I can change it later according to your suggestion.

Pluck + Smash
This "Trap" is very easily to perform and needs no skill to do it, but it wouldn't work too many times in a match because your enemy will catch it easily.

There is only 1 condition, you need to have 0 pikmins in line.

1. Stay or run like you are defenseless and wait for your enemy to approach at Fsmash range.
  2. Pluck and immediately Fsmash.
  3. That's all xD.
My recommendation: Pluck x 2 + Smash
I noticed that if you try to do the first Pluck + Smash twice (I mean, pluck -> smash -> pluck -> smash) the second smash wouldn't work.
So the solution in order to have an extra option for hitting your enemy in case he shield or dodge, is to AFAP (as fast as possible) pluck twice and have 2 smashes available.
Same condition before but more risky because if you aren't fast enough, your enemy will punish.
"Holding" your Landing
This "Trap" is very punishable if you do it unwisely. It would work if you can be unpredictable.

The condition is that your enemy should not be shielding (Not quite sure about this).
When you are landing from the air and falling upwards your enemy, he may try to Usmash, Utilt or any punishment.

1. Use your recovery (Up-B) and wait for the animation of your enemy to end. Don't move from your position.
  2. Punish accordingly to your preference. May be Dair, Nair or Fast Falling and Usmash, Dsmash, etc.
Miss Fsmash -> Fsmash on your face (@ Kon Kon )
This Set-up is fairly simple has two condition: You have to be at a certain distance to your enemy in order to fail the first Fsmash and your enemy needs to approach after the first Fsmash to connect the second one.
  1. Use Fsmash at a distance that you will know it won't hit.
  2. Wait for your enemy to approach.
  3. Fsmash in his face.
Falling Nair -> Punish the decision (@ Kon Kon )
This Trap needs to have good reaction, be focused and precise timing, as well as a cool head.
Whenever you are falling to the platform near your enemy, he may be shielding or just waiting.
Depending on the situation, the Nair is the bait. Shield? Doesn't matter, land behind and react. No Shield? Punish his reckless decision.

The trap indeed take advantage of the frames of dropping shield and/or turning around, when the Fsmash is beeing released (This sentence needs to be proven).
  1. Fall with Nair.
  2. Position your landing according to your enemy's choice.
  • Shield: Fall behind him. This will prevent a Shield-Grab. He will drop-shield, roll or turn around and you will be able to punish as soon as you can. Even if he doesn't drop his shield, you can grab or do a second Fsmash.
  • No shield: Punish according to your choice. If you "are feeling it", an Usmash would be awesome. If you are not, whatever you can is fine.
Ledge recovery -> Short Hop -> Whistle -> <Your wise decision> (I'm not sure if someone did it first, but I saw @Myran doing it first. Correct me if I'm wrong).
When you are hanging on the ledge, this will give you a little window of immunity against a very aggressive enemy and provide you another get up option. Tends to work better on fastest enemy (Falco, Fox, Yoshi, Diddy), immune attacks (Usmash's Mario, Usmash's Mr. G&W) or counter (Marth, Shulk, Peach), etc.
Careful on spamming this because the immunity is short and your enemy can punish if you repeat it too often.
  1. Hanging on the ledge, drop it by pressing down or by pressing against the ledge.
  2. Immediately press jump and approach to the platform, then Down B.
  3. The rest is up to you, like Nair (recommended), Bair, whatever.

So that's all for now, if you guys have more of this moves, traps, set-up, I don't know, please let me know and I will added it here.
Let's build a powerful database of knowledge together :)

Last edited:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
It's also funny that during a match you can use two fsmashes one after the other and many people will try to punish the first fsmash while running at you. However I wouldn't use it often as you otherwise will risk to be punished.

There are even more things. Nair during fastfall can be great as a killsetup. The important thing is: The last hit of the nair shouldn't connect, otherwise it won't work as the ennemy will get hit too far away. Then you can immediately throw out a smashattack(even fastfall nair into fsmash with purple works fine). However I only got this work on the ground and when you're getting too greedy for landing a nair, people will shield the move and punish you(mostly with a shieldgrab). And the more %s, the better it is.

Also I feel like we need some sort of combo-thread for Olimar. I've tried out many things and most of the combos are depending on a specific percentage(like "works only from 0-15%" or stuff like this), but they allow to mix up things. Also most of these things I tried out in training mode therefore they won't necessarily work if your ennemy DIs the right way. Maybe I'll post it later this day.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
It's also funny that during a match you can use two fsmashes one after the other and many people will try to punish the first fsmash while running at you. However I wouldn't use it often as you otherwise will risk to be punished.

There are even more things. Nair during fastfall can be great as a killsetup. The important thing is: The last hit of the nair shouldn't connect, otherwise it won't work as the ennemy will get hit too far away. Then you can immediately throw out a smashattack(even fastfall nair into fsmash with purple works fine). However I only got this work on the ground and when you're getting too greedy for landing a nair, people will shield the move and punish you(mostly with a shieldgrab). And the more %s, the better it is.

Also I feel like we need some sort of combo-thread for Olimar. I've tried out many things and most of the combos are depending on a specific percentage(like "works only from 0-15%" or stuff like this), but they allow to mix up things. Also most of these things I tried out in training mode therefore they won't necessarily work if your ennemy DIs the right way. Maybe I'll post it later this day.
Yes you should, and if it contains pictures or videos, much better.

But according to the thread: I don't know if the first thing you said it is a trap or set-up. Maybe the second one is a variant of the " 'Cancel' Landing" ?

Last edited:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Well the first one is somewhat a bait. You throw an fsmash that will barely misses the ennemy(because you're standing too far away) and if he runs onto you, you just quickly throw out another fsmash to bait out a grounded punish the ennemy attempted to land.

Well, the Nair autocancels. As you fastfall, you land before your opponent on the ground and have the time(at higher percentage) to land an fsmash, upsmash or downsmash. However most of the time, the fsmash is the better choice as it has better knockback in general. It's like the nair-uptilt combo just with the difference that on higher percents, you can even through out a smash attack that connects. However I'm not sure if it is a 100% true combo. Against characters with no true combobreaker(such as Yoshi's nair and so on), it works perfectly fine. And even if it isn't a true combo, if your opponent isn't ready for this, he will mess up and get hit.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Ok, I get it now about the first one but, it's really a bait or it's more like an underestimation of your enemy? I mean it would be awesome if that kind of stuff would force your enemy to attack you but somehow I don't know, I don't see it coming.
I will add it anyway and wait if someone wants to argue about this.

About the second one I don't see it as a trap, bait or set-up, because you aren't doing anything before in order to force the situation. I mean seems something almost situational, I don't know how to explain. Like and advice or a better way of landing.
Maybe if you expose the conditions? Maybe I'm too slow at this time... I'm sorry T_T.
Does it need to be always successful to consider it as a bait, trap or set-up?

Anyway I have to thank you because you has been the only one who answer jajaja.

Last edited:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I get it now about the first one but, it's really a bait or it's more like an underestimation of your enemy? I mean it would be awesome if that kind of stuff would force your enemy to attack you but somehow I don't know, I don't see it coming.
I will add it anyway and wait if someone wants to argue about this.
Well many want to punish a wiffed fsmash and they need to punish it from the air in many cases so if they chose the wrong option and try to punish from the ground, they'll probably get hit by the second fsmash. It's a bait in the sense you almost throw out a cookie for your ennemy and hope he'll gladly play your game.

About the second one I don't see it as a trap, bait or set-up, because you aren't doing anything before in order to force the situation. I mean seems something almost situational, I don't know how to explain. Like and advice or a better way of landing.
Maybe if you expose the conditions? Maybe I'm too slow at this time... I'm sorry T_T.
Does it need to be always successful to consider it as a bait, trap or set-up?

Anyway I have to thank you because you has been the only one who answer jajaja.
Well you can trick your opponent with the landing of your nair. If you land the nair and your opponent isn't shielding or he's spotdodging, he will most likely get hit and you can than surprise him with a smash attack after the nair. If your opponent shields it, you better land the nair in a way you land behind your opponent even on shield. Then he can't punish you with a shieldgrab and you can punish (a probable) shielddrop with a smashattack.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Well you can trick your opponent with the landing of your nair. If you land the nair and your opponent isn't shielding or he's spotdodging, he will most likely get hit and you can than surprise him with a smash attack after the nair. If your opponent shields it, you better land the nair in a way you land behind your opponent even on shield. Then he can't punish you with a shieldgrab and you can punish (a probable) shielddrop with a smashattack.
Got it. Already added, thanks for your patience ^^.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Got it. Already added, thanks for your patience ^^.
No problem. It was probably because my explanation wasn't clear. Therefore it's more my mistake than yours :)

Btw I want to add to the nair thing: If you fastfall the nair and the last hit doesn't connect(which is important), the ennemy will poorly get thrown into the air(so still very close to the ground) and you have an "almost" guaranteed smash of your choice as a punish. i.e. nair + fsmash(with purple) can get you in such a situation an early kill.
It covers an airdodge because an airdodge would have landing lag at that height as the ennemy will fall to the ground right after the nair and doing nothing too. I'm not sure if you're able to jump out as nobody has yet tried to jump out after the fastfall nair.
Only some characters are able to throw out a nair(Yoshi, Mario and Luigi i.e.) between the fastfall nair of Olimar and Olimars smash attack. No matter which character, if you're able to surprisingly land the fastfall nair, the first time your ennemy won't have the right reflex right away probably.
In my opinion landing the Fsmash at that close distance is better than the Up-Smash.

I think I've even recorded a match where I use this one, so looking for it and perhaps taking the phone camera to share. I'll edit it into this post.

edit: Well I didn't find the match. Seems I didn't record it. However I've made a combo/strings video with combos I tried against a cpu. Maybe it's useful. You also see in the video the issue with the nair + fsmash as you have to predict the position of your ennemy to hit with the fsmash.
Oh and sorry for the bad quality. Had only my phone camera to record the stuff.

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I get so many kills from Miss Fsmash -> Fsmash. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm definitely going to try "holding my landing." I think that has a lot of potential for a great mindgame.

Top Bottom