• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Just announced are the 3DS remakes for Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire set to hit this November.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGSON9tNq0

The next batch of CoroCoro information has been posted to Japanese forums and this batch showcases more information about the upcoming games. This reveals Mega Sceptile, Swampert and Diancie. Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon-type while the others maintain their type. Mega Diancie's ability is currently listed as ??? while Mega Sceptile has Lightning Rod and Mega Swampert has the ability Swift Swim. Groudon & Kyogre's new "Mega Evolutions" are known as Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval Groudon & Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval Kyogre and are said to be a regression called Ancient Devolution. Steven Stone returns and also appears to have a Mega Charizard X and is after the secret for Mega Evolution

Both the Mach and Acro Bike make a return in this game and Team Aqua & Team Magma both return as well. Team Magma is lead once again by Maxie, and his Admins: Tabitha & Courtney. Team Aqua is lead by Archie and his admins Matt and Shelley, all of whom have been redesigned. Like the originals the team you face varies depending upon the game The Mega Evolution activating item in this game is the Mega Bangle.

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Mega Sceptile, Grass / Dragon with Tough Claws ability, please. I'm of the few that currently run Sceptile (being one of my favorite Pokémon), so I'm looking forward to seeing his Mega Evolution.

We all knew this was bound to happen, but it's good to finally get the announcement and release window. I for one am excited for this, and it's probably fair to assume that we'll be receiving our information on game play and what-have-you (new Mega Evolution's, maybe new story elements, etc.) this coming E3, if not in a specified Nintendo Direct in the near-future.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Sceptile and Marshtomp will totally have mega evolutions. Groudon and Kyogre look like they will too.

Maybe Sceptile will be playable on Smash for this game. :p

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It says explore a new world, so is it just a remake or a new game with Groudon and Kyogre? Also, their art looks interesting, so I'm wondering if they get new forms...Kyogre is OP enough that I don't think it needs a new form.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
My only hope is a Mega-Metagross with levitate. Metagross is among my favorite designs and I think we're likely to see Mega forms for all the pseudo legendaries at some point.

I wouldn't hold your hopes for a Grass/Dragon Sceptile. While no doubt it makes a little more sense than Electric/Dragon Mega Amph, all of the starter megas thus far have only reinforced their existing identity, not drastically changed it. Sceptile exist as a Reluctant Samurai. I think a Protean Sceptile is where I would place my money, though due to a weak movepool, pretty much the only advantage Sceptile would have would be picked for would be its Sword Dance set. That set however works best as a surprise, and if that's its only outstanding feature then the set loses its advantage of potentially getting a free turn to setup.

I'm notably stumped in what to do with Swampert. There's certainly precedent for tanky Mega pokemon, as we've seen from Mega-Venasaur, so this could potentially work out really well, but I just can't think of any blowout ideas. At his height he was one of my favorite pokemon to play, so I'd love to see him enter back into the realm of playablity. Sadly where he could be buffed the most (HP due to slack off) we know that mega evolutions do not touch. Water Absorb would be nice but not exactly killer. Lightning Rod would be good for doubles certainly, but if I'm being selfish I want him useful for formats I'm interested in.

As for the legendaries, I would find Hydration Kyogre absolutely hilarious. The ideal situation for Kyogre was always to sweep a team with a proper setup prior, and though that's more difficult to do now, imaging the hillarity for Hydration on a pokemon who also causes Rain on entrance is absolutely hilarious to me. It's honestly probably not even that good as the boost to its water attacks provided by damp is what so often let it sweep several pokemon, I can't help but laugh at the potential.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It says explore a new world, so is it just a remake or a new game with Groudon and Kyogre? Also, their art looks interesting, so I'm wondering if they get new forms...Kyogre is OP enough that I don't think it needs a new form.
I think it's a whole new world because many of the new fans probably never played Ruby and Sapphire so it'd be new to them.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
What skaaaa said. Also because "new" is a much more catchy term for advertising than "that world we created a decade ago."

I was expecting this, but I'm still excited that there's finally confirmation. Gen III was my favorite as far as the world, the Pokemon, the music, and all of that; but gen VI has some fantastic mechanics and graphics, so I'm excited to see the two collide in one.

I'm wondering how they came up with the titles though. It seems like it would make more sense to have Alpha Ruby and Omega Sapphire, but maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We don't have any clue on the usage of mega evolutions for those games, so I wouldn't count on seeing any new mega evolutions right now.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The coverart shows clearly distinctive versions of the two signature legendaries. Though Groudon could be excused as just visual flair, Kyogre has entirely new markings covering its body. While it is possible that these could just be forms ala Shaymin, I think given the nature of the game that preceeded them, mega evolutions are entirely reasonable to speculate.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Mega Evolutions are what Gen 6 is all about... There's no question we'll be getting new Megas.

Regardless I'm REALLY looking forward to this. Gen 3 had the best region by far, so I can't wait to see how beautiful it looks in 3D.

Also can't wait to hear the remixed version of my favorite E4 theme:

I need to finish my Sapphire Nuzlocke now! :)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
In regards to the changes on Kyogre and Groudon, I notice an Omega on Groudon's arm. Is there an Alpha on Kyogre?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, that's one out of two games I've been waiting for announced, now there's only a new Metroid left.

Really excited for this, I hope they can fix a lot of the problems I had with Hoenn to begin with, like its clunky flow and progression. 3rd Gen has my favorite arsenal of Pokémon, so it has the potential to be my favorite Pokémon game if it really tries.

Other than that Mega Groudon and Mega Kyogre (at least that's what I presume they are) look great. They don't change the designs very much, which is exactly the right thing to do with massive beasts like these, otherwise they'll end up looking too clunky. Really hoping for Mega Sceptile (Smash pls Sakurai, at least as DLC), Swampert, Flygon, Claydol, Crawdaunt and Camerupt.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
In regards to the changes on Kyogre and Groudon, I notice an Omega on Groudon's arm. Is there an Alpha on Kyogre?
The lit-up piece on its wings sort of look like an alpha.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Is it also safe to assume we're supposed to get Latiosite and Latiasite from these remakes, and they aren't event items? Are those possibly a replacement for Soul Dew as well?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Is it also safe to assume we're supposed to get Latiosite and Latiasite from these remakes, and they aren't event items? Are those possibly a replacement for Soul Dew as well?
It may be that they're events from OR/AS, too. But yes, I would at least guess they're going to come along in some way through these games, event or not.

It's also worth noting -- though I can't find another source backing it up, so take it with a grain of salt -- that this page lists a bunch of trademarked megas, including the ones we have, plus Minun, Plusle, Sceptile, Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza. Jynx is also on that list and I don't see why that would happen with these games, but the rest of them all seem like they could viably be introduced here, which gives credit to the theory that we will get new Megas. If we do, though, I suppose they won't be compatible with X/Y, since the only extra mega data that was dug up in them was Lati@s.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald have always been my favorite games in the series, so I'm hyped.

Kinda surprised we're getting new games so soon, but oh well. Don't know why they announced them now without gameplay footage when E3 is in a month.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Its important to note that 3DS hacking is not as developed as DS hacking ended up during the time of B/W. It's very possible there is data we just didn't find. We also live in the day of patches. If new megas aren't compatible with X/Y, then wifi battles between the two won't be possible, or linked for that matter. Incredibly doubtful gamefreak would make that kind of mistake of not having games of the same generation being able to battle with each other.

You two answered your own question. Games are often announced at the cusp of E3 to build excitement for the conference. Anticipation is just as important as grand surprises.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
As someone stated in another thread these games might actually be sequels instead of remakes.

Sequels would make much more sense since it gives Game Freak a chance to introduce Mega Evolutions into the Hoenn region without lazily tacking them on. This would also explain the "dramatic new world" and "new adventure." Maybe Mega Groudon/Kyogre go ape **** and drastically change up the geography of the Hoenn region?

So many possibilities.... CANT FRIGGIN WAITTTTTT.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Its important to note that 3DS hacking is not as developed as DS hacking ended up during the time of B/W. It's very possible there is data we just didn't find. We also live in the day of patches. If new megas aren't compatible with X/Y, then wifi battles between the two won't be possible, or linked for that matter. Incredibly doubtful gamefreak would make that kind of mistake of not having games of the same generation being able to battle with each other.
That's true, I know as it is it took a decent amount of time to find the event legends and Mega Lati@s. I also keep forgetting that patches exist since Nintendo has hardly ever made use of them until the 3DS came around, but you're right, that's completely possible as well.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I just want a Mega Wailord.
Why? It's majestic. And a Mega Evolution would make it even more majestic.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Sceptile needs to be considered for Smash. It's a wasted opportunity if not. And a fire-water-grass triangle in Smash would be super cool considering that's something anyone who's played Pokemon knows about. And since they're all starters, they're all well known.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Sceptile needs to be considered for Smash. It's a wasted opportunity if not. And a fire-water-grass triangle in Smash would be super cool considering that's something anyone who's played Pokemon knows about. And since they're all starters, they're all well known.
Come to think of it, Sceptile (nor it's pre-evolutions) were spotted in the Greninja/Charizard direct trailer, neither was Blaziken.

I'm happy though that the games I grew up and enjoyed with the most is finally getting the long awaiting remakes.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Oh my gawd. I just found out about this and the hype is killing me. I can't wait to play it!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think I'm gonna explode. HOW CAN SOMETHING MANAGE TO BE MORE AWESOME THAN GRENINJA'S REVEAL? THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Love the new avatar.

I'm wondering: will these be the mega versions?
The only thing that's different about them is the pattern in their bodies and their tails, so I doubt it. But who knows. I guess it would be pretty strange to have 4 mega evolved Hoenn legendaries. (Mega Latios & Mega Latias are confirmed).

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo needs to stop making me hype for video games when I am trying to write papers and study for finals! First Smash, then Mario Kart, and now the 3DS remake of the game that got me into Pokemon in the first place!

Gen 3 wasn't my favorite, but Hoenn is my favorite region by far. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will give Game Freak the chance to fix some disappointments from the original games:

1. Physical/Special Attack split and Day/Night cycle are a given
2. A better story. Team Aqua and Magma had a very interesting plan to expand their resource of interest, but their justification for doing so fell flat. It also didn't seem like people from Hoenn paid much attention to their antics unless they were direct victims. The game should take some notes on the Pokemon Adventure manga's take on the story. In the manga, the Aqua/Magma conflict actually gained the attention of the gym leaders, and they even formed factions along the team lines among themselves.
3. A better surfing experience. Well, at least we know that using repels has been made easier recently. I wouldn't mind seeing some Good Rod and Super Rod pokemon appearing in the vast ocean from time to time. Sharpedo, Crawdaunt, Staryu, and Corsola would make fine additions.
4. Better rivals. You don't fight May/Brendan after Lilycove, and at that point, their starter is not even fully evolved. Even if it may be too much to ask for your opposite gender counterpart to be brimming with personality (Just look at Serena/Calem), at least give them a good team! Also, it wouldn't hurt for Wally to be more integrated into the story.

And now for some hopes:

1. Mega Evolutions are part of the plot.

Steven Stone is a stone collector, but he doesn't share much of his knowledge about stones in RSE. You'd think he would give you a stone, but he doesn't. Well, as it turns out, Mega stones are stones (SHOCK!), and they are a pretty big deal. Maybe he will give you a mega ring and a mega stone for your starter. Also, if the pokemon we see on the covers are indeed Mega Evolutions of Groudon and Kyogre as opposed to alternate forms, that would be really cool. Mega Kyogre and Mega Groudon should have Drizzle + and Drought + abilities that create permanent weather because there's no way these two should be subject to the weather nerf thematically.

2. There will be new Mega Evolutions.

Mega Swampert: The first pokemon I ever used needs a mega evolution. It would be cool if did have Sap Sipper as an ability so that it doesn't have any weaknesses, but maybe Regeneration is more fitting for a bulky water based on a weird Salamander with an ability to regenerate entire lost limbs in a matter of months.

Mega Sceptile: Grass/Dragon and additional Attack please. It would do wonders for the guy.

3. Pokemon amie is used for the returning Contests.

There's got to be a more fun and/or convenient way to increase Contest stats than pressing a at the right time or mixing dough. Maybe Pokemon amid can step in and allow you to do the same stuff it does in X and Y, as well as give you the ability to earn/make Pokeblocks that can de directly fed to your pokemon. Contests should also have worthwhile rewards this time around. There are a lot of TMs I would obtain by doing contests earlier in the game rather than buying through Battle Points in the post-game.

4. Return of the Secret Bases.

I like what people are saying about Secret Bases being potentially used for Streetpass. That's a great idea. Maybe play coins can be used to buy cool furniture in the base as well. Also, maybe when discovering a secret base, you have a chance of finding a Pokemon with a hidden ability such as the grottos in B2W2.

5. Emerald's Battle Frontier is in the game.

I never played Emerald, so I'd like to see its Battle Frontier exist in the post-game.

6. Another Looker side quest.

If these games are not actually remakes, I'd want a story where Looker is more involved in the plot. If they are remakes, Looker is a fine addition to any post-game. Just look at how X and Y handled him. That side quest was actually more enjoyable than the main game's Team Flare antics IMHO.

Ok, I've done my part. I can now do my homework in peace.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
so wait, which magazine did we get these scans from?

I'm kind-of curious by all three being one mega form...
Not sure. It's a scan I picked up elsewhere. It just seemed fitting since I hadn't seen it 'til today. Corocoro, probably.

As for all three being one Mega Form, it's probably the same case as Kyurem and the DNA Splicer, or whatever.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
That magazine picture is fake. The Japanese logos do not resemble what that magazine has. Here's the real Omega Ruby logo:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
That magazine picture is fake. The Japanese logos do not resemble what that magazine has. Here's the real Omega Ruby logo:
Oh well. Was simply passing off what I'd found. :3

Having said that, they seem functionally similar. There's just some subtle differences. Still, I can see the scan being fake. Which is a shame.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Whether the scan is real or not we all know that Sceptile and Swampert are getting Megas that much is obvious.

Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza all fusing into one being is weird though... Glad that's not real.

Top Bottom