• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OMFG pokemon trainer

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I don't think anyone though of this. No one. Even those who wanted the standard Pokemon trainer in, couldn't have thought this was going to be what would show up. I'm really loving this. XD

Anyways, its also odd who the choices are. While Charizard could probably get a moveset (he's out as a Pokeball I guess) Squirtle and especially Ivysaur may be lacking. Or at least we're going to have the first quadruped fighter. (Though Ivysaur has been known to stand on two legs, it just wouldn't be right)

But really, this is such a cool update! :D

Rash

Smash Ace
A very surprising character, definitely.

It's not necessarily the Pokemon Trainer in particular that gets me excited for SSBB, though. It's the creativity of the character, and the innovation for Smash that Sakurai is trying to make. Pokemon Trainer is just the beginning; while we may not see similar characters revealed in the future, we'll definitely see ones that are just as creative and varied, which will only add to Brawl's substance as a game and as a representation of Nintendo's characters.

The Pokemon Trainer himself is definitely a cool character. I'm not sure if he's the kind that I'd try to main or anything, but to play around as him once in a while will be pretty neat. I like how the first generation of Pokemon is getting even more representation, and I love how the three Pokemon are in three different stages of evolution. This is actually better, in my mind, than having all three at their highest evolutionary point.

Keep these kind of interesting updates coming, Sakurai.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmm, I have further questions. On a stage like Rumble Falls, what does PM do exactly? Just keep jumping while paying attention to the Pokemon? What about for the Adventure Mode? What if a stage like Big Blue shows up again?

Sariku

Smash Master
This update was great now that I think about it... lets see. You control the pokemon like you would Pikachu, they just don't have a down be except switch them out. I mean, you can't let them fight for themselves, right?

Which means finally, Charizard is a Playable Character!
Ivysaur is a Playable Character!
Squirtle is a Playable Character!

GAGH!!! Anyone ever heard of the "Anti Lucario! PRO SQUIRTLE!" Thread!? Now I hate it even more, since Squirtle made it playable... BEFORE LUCARIO!!! LUCARIO COME ON! I LOVE YOUUUUUU...................

Tanvis

Smash Cadet
I haven't read anything from this post...but I think it just should have been Gary...I don't care if he actually has those pokemon...ITS GARY.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Im actually shocked! If the pokemon trainer made it to brawl this highers the chances for ANY character! Sakurai has mindgame's XP

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Im actually shocked! If the pokemon trainer made it to brawl this highers the chances for ANY character! Sakurai has mindgame's XP
Anyone and anything has a chance now. My grandmother could be in Brawl.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Anyone and anything has a chance now. My grandmother could be in Brawl.
We all know she wouldkick some Uber arse. XD

Now, in my opinion, this is a bit of a gimick, really.
This could be truly awful, but I ADMIT, it has potential to be
really cool. But myself, I think if the poke'mon would be better if...
well, squirtel is knocked out, then, you press...
A
And charizard comes out.
Had you pressed "B" Bulbasure would have emerged.
I think that could add a new stategy element to it all.
But for now, I truly immensly dislike this Red idea...for now.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
WHAT. THE. F*CK. This is what ran through my mind when I saw that. I never,NEVER thought Pokemon Trainer would get in(and neither did anyone else),but with these three pokemon,it truly looks awesome!

Also,between this and the Asssist Trophies my character predictions are now screwed up beyond repair....

NukeA6

Smash Master
At first, I was like, "WHT?!?!?", but then I saw it. Not only did we get the original starters in, we have possible triple tag team character! This has got to be the one of the most unique characters ever!

I doubt this guy is a secret character. Just remember that Snake wasn't shown in any of the screenshots.

burrito

Smash Lord
I remember how many people said that there would never be a Pokemon trainer in brawl. Now is a good time for them to eat their words and realize that they need to be more open minded when it comes to characters. Smash Bros. has always been made of characters that no one has expected.

Three characters in one? That's a lot of work for one character. Sounds like it would be difficult to balance. Maybe this means that there will be a lot of characters in brawl.

I'm glad that the Pokemon have stamina, so you will be forced to switch between them. That way it wont be like with zelda, where people only play as Sheik. It'll be neat to see him issuing commands during battle.

GuardianSphinx

Smash Journeyman
Dude, major excitement can't wait to get my grubby hands on brawl now, still just under 4 months until it comes out too, that's alot of updates and surprises. I think predictions are going to be more frequent now.

burrito

Smash Lord
I just had a thought, how is this supposed to work in a moving stage such as Rumble Falls? Will the Pokemon trainer in the background actually follow the stage as it moves?

Blackadder

Smash Master
I just had a thought, how is this supposed to work in a moving stage such as Rumble Falls? Will the Pokemon trainer in the background actually follow the stage as it moves?
lmao!
Genius.

But duh.Everyone knows Red can fly.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I have no clue what they are going to do with Red on levels like Rumble Falls and Bridge of Eldin.

But if he falls his pokemon should commit mass suicide lol

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
this is a VERY good question. my guess is the trainer will not always be visible on moving stages, but you can still switch pokemon the same way-- just the pokeball will fly in from offscreen.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I think he means what will kirby look like when he sucks in a pokemon. Like would he get a PT hat. Or get a pokemon hat and power.
Ah yes.
Of course..

Well...
I think with Bulbasaure, Kirby may get the Pokemons "Seed" on his head like a hat.
That's all I can think of myself...

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
He did it...
He really did it...
Somehow, Sakurai fairly and successfully implented an exciting Pokemon Trainer as a character...
He must have sold his soul to the devil for FLAWLESS game design skills.

One problem, however:

If I have to listen to the Pokemon Trainer in the background shouting a command EVERY time you do ANYTHING, I WILL KILL HIM.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Ah yes.
Of course..

Well...
I think with Bulbasaure, Kirby may get the Pokemons "Seed" on his head like a hat.
That's all I can think of myself...
I think it would be like the Lucario hat in my sig. It would be just the top part of their head. But for Squirtle that would be cool if kirby got a little shell.

He did it...
He really did it...
Somehow, Sakurai fairly and successfully implented an exciting Pokemon Trainer as a character...
He must have sold his soul to the devil for FLAWLESS game design skills.

One problem, however:

If I have to listen to the Pokemon Trainer in the background shouting a command EVERY time you do ANYTHING, I WILL KILL HIM.
Yeah all those commands would get annoying.

Tanea

Smash Ace
holy crap i almost peed my pants i can't wait to see how this character will play out

CLAP,CLAP,CLAP i think that we need to give an hand to sakuria and his team

Blackadder

Smash Master
I think it would be like the Lucario hat in my sig. It would be just the top part of their head. But for Squirtle that would be cool if kirby got a little shell.
That would be cute. XD
Maybe he can't suck up the poke'mon at all, but I doubt it.

I think though, what gets me about this, is we have had two entirly NEW characters in a short period of time.
It seems Sakurai is now more willing to cough up the games inner secrets..

Wreked

Smash Lord
That would be cute. XD
Maybe he can't suck up the poke'mon at all, but I doubt it.

I think though, what gets me about this, is we have had two entirly NEW characters in a short period of time.
It seems Sakurai is now more willing to cough up the games inner secrets..
Yeah i'm glad he is giving us new characters. But i'm suprised he's done two already without showing us Luigi, Jiggs, Ness, Falcon, and Metaknight. I just really hopes he gives us these sometime soon. I wanna see Falcon's new look!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
NO CHARZARD POKEBALL!? AHHHHH! But I love the idea of 2 vs 2= Zelda & Pokemon Trainer vs Pikachu & Kirby=Zelda wins!

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Basically, Red is three characters in one. Each character probably has strengths and weaknesses. Charizard is probably powerful and has great recovery but is slow. Squirtle is fast but he is weak. Ivysaur is probably the middleground. It is possible that all three have separate final smashes. Probably Hydro Pump for squirtle. Solar beam for ivysaur. Maybe Flare Blitz for Charizard.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
This update makes me want more even more than i wanted more before.
Best update yet. Maybe the best character idea.

Top Bottom