• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omg Fox is too good XD (Some Fox Vid)

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
If anything, that video shows that game and watch is too good. He very nearly won after a stupid self death at like nothing.

Anther

Smash Champion
Whoa sorry I didn't know. =P. I guess if yall know better what else should I have been doing. I thought it was a good match XD.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Ehhh...? Anther is a pretty good player and that was pretty good for just being a pick up. But they're partly right that the G&W killed himself and you still barely won.

Not really good at watching matches and giving constructive crticism so bare with me.

1) You did alot of SH single lasers that just fly over his head. Fox can also SHDBL just like falco via same method. And can hit a kirby with it, running then turning to fire 2 lasers is a good way to bait people. But against G&W this shouldn't be used two often cus he can bucket them.

2) I noticed you whole approach was from above G&W via full hops and double jumps. Well i don't know for fun but i think G&W is better in the air, so comming from above may be a bad idea.

The only G&W i've played was in a friendly tourney in college, and well he's a **** scrub... so i don't have much experience fighting a good G&W. My best tip is that if you like fox, play him and welcome to Fox forums... maybe you'll find something that can help your game.

Btw, nice Thunda squirrel xD

Anther

Smash Champion
Thanks FMiC XD. Sometimes when I have a stock lead I don't really play that particular stock out very carefully and NOJ is really good with his broken char XD. I like the Laser tip. I'm gonna add as much as I can to my arsenal so that next time I'll have a more complete fox =].

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Thanks FMiC XD. Sometimes when I have a stock lead I don't really play that particular stock out very carefully and NOJ is really good with his broken char XD. I like the Laser tip. I'm gonna add as much as I can to my arsenal so that next time I'll have a more complete fox =].
Np, theres plenty threads in the fox forums to help you. But im gona self promote a silly thread to start you off.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160293

Also check the advance Tech and the clan forum i believe there is a compiled group of info about fox in there if you can find it in the rather large post.

bobknob

Smash Cadet
i think fox is awesome too. if you save his upsmash's power, you can get an easy KO around 100%ish. really easy to land upsmash on ppl b/c it cash be used out of a dash. if u tap left-right really quick fox runs back like 2 steps then dashes back in the other direction, good way to land upsmash imo. my 2nd favorite way to land it is to pace back and forth w/ the intial dash animation (fox's goes really far), then just run under + smash.

you did cool lasering, but you can use 2 per shorthop by hitting B twice, use at peak of jump so the second laser is close to the ground. i would spam it more against chars who can't spam projectiles like g/w. just dash reverse shorthop dbl laser a bunch.

also, fox's dash attack is decent if you want to mix up your approach. you can sail thru them and then do uptilts from behind.

short-hop FF nair is good too imo (so you don't overuse drill), and can lead to follow up attacks at lower %s, like dsmash/utilt

and finally, since his f-smash goes a nice distance, you can speedwalk away and hit ppl with it who are trying to pursue

anyway, yea, sweet char

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Glad to see you tried out Fox Anther, he really is extremely underrated (I see people speculate him being in low tier or the bottom of mid tier all the time). I might come up to one of Rofa's biweeklies sometime. I'd be interesting in playing your pikachu and seeing how much it differs from Pika Pika's playstyle. Anyway, Fox does fairly well against G&W, one of G&W's main advantages that's often cited is his ability to live to high percents despite his light weight thanks to his dair and excellent recovery. Fox completely eliminates this advantage since he can kill G&W at 80% on most stages with upsmash (the majority of stages in this game have the same ceiling height). As said earlier, you need to work on your lasers more as the ones you used were useless. Also, it's good to try and approach g&w instead of letting him approach you, his bair will win every time. However, you need to be careful when approaching him from above due to his up-air, he seemed to set you up with it a few times, avoid that. You need to constantly pressure G&W with lots of variety to actually stand a chance, which you did a good job of with jabs and shines mixed up in your game. You neglected to use f-air enough, it's very helpful on g&w. Also, downsmash and forward smash aren't that useful against g&w except for racking in damage. Don't use them much (you didn't use them too much, I'm just throwing this out there). They don't set-up for anything good against g&w. However they both are actually useful against Snake and some others. Haha. Also down-b is a great way to avoid punishment from g&w's upair & up-b set-ups, it's actually insanely helpful in all matches, haha. Also, although the situation almost never arose, Illusion Canceling at the edge (not Illusion fake-out, actually using the edge to cancel your illusion, there's a thread on it on this board) is a very easy thing to learn and helpful as an added option to recover and is very safe. If you have any questions about match-ups send me a PM, I have actual tourney experience with Fox unlike others.

Oh yeah, wall of text.

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Im not a fox mainer anymore, i've found more characters to be more "effective"
Fox is good n all, but if you play a person who can perfect shield well, then its basicly useless, because his range is so short.

ƒox

Smash Cadet
I'm sure you know how to grab, even though I never saw you grab once, but like at 0:39, could've done a few more damage or tried to shinespike them after throwing them off the stage.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Im not a fox mainer anymore, i've found more characters to be more "effective"
Fox is good n all, but if you play a person who can perfect shield well, then its basicly useless, because his range is so short.
Yeah... fox's approach screams, "UP-B ME" by most characters. My partner mains Bowser, i eat a Up-B everytime i Dair, or Nair or any air =.=

That and if he aint usen bowser, then he can Perfect shield the follow up of Dair and that leads to ****.

Which of course then you start following Dair n Nair with grab to counter this, which he figuures out you're doing then jabs/grabs first.

That or you gotta find another approach... fox games turn out to be one big ****ing game of cat n mouse. Fun but some times back fires.

clowsui

Smash Legend
fox is so difficult to play only because it's a game of caution
he has next to 0 priority
his setups are easily punished and can be seen from a mile away
his ko moves are either: easily shielded (usmash, fsmash), easily dodged (uair), miss a lot (bair/uair), or diminish reaaaallly quickly (dsmash).
but what he does have is speed and a certain amount of pressure (% pressure with lasers, a fast grab + decent grabs, shine). not only that but he's able to maneuver very easily around stages
the key to fox is most likely keeping your opponent moving from the center of the stage to the edge, back and forth in a defensive fashion so that you can keep them in your zone and in an area open to a strong offense from fox. but it's kind of hard to maintain this, given fox's bad priority ^^;

SCOTU

Smash Hero
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nDoJ9sHphvA
How freaking fun is that guy??
Criticize me some.

I'm just picking him up and I'm shocked so many peeps actually yelled nerf at this exciting lil squirrel.

Thrz, wtf was that? who almost loses to Joel? lol
That was a pretty good match imo.

How freaking fun is that guy??: significantly less fun than he was in melee/64.

Criticizm: dair is too much lose on teh prioritiez, so you've gotts to use teh fairs/nairs for approaches more. dat dair don't outprizoritize anything below, so better just to shine and fall on them in a sec w/ one.

also, you neeedz moar they land>you run>usmash combos.

Anther

Smash Champion
lol thanks for all the posts. I haven't had internet to reply lately but here I am :D.
I've actually implemented a lot of the criticisms into my gameplay, thanks for the wall of text Xiivi... T.T. jk it was very informative though and gave me some more to think about. I might be using fox in the future, but 2 other pokemon still have my heart. <3.

You're so right Scotu. The most obvious best combos that seem so simple yet I miss them everytime >=[.

xcapablancax

Smash Cadet
that vid was hard to watch. you spammed down air and you full hopped or double hopped into it practically the entire time. if i didnt know that you were a great pika main, id think you were a smash noob. take this advice. short hop 90 % of the time for fox's down A air or neutral air. also use his neutral air more! it is a great approach, has a long duration, decent priority and sets up for other attacks. ive noticed fox mains are usually down air happy , give the sh neutral air a chance!

Top Bottom