• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omg! Snake's Rapid Punch beats Pikachu's thunderbolt spam!

wonderboykevin

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry if this is old, i didnt really take the time to search the boards, not only that this is pretty much common sense. i have a friend that mains pikachu, and he LOVES to spam that thunderbolt. Sometimes ill miss a spot dodge or mistime my hop to avoid it but every once in a while ill get hit, and all of those mistakes add up which baits me to approach him. but just now, i did this against a lvl 9 cpu pika, and it spammed thunderbolt (lol). so i just stood there and held A. it canceled the thunderbolt everytime. Once again, snake mainers, im sorry if this is old. Once the thunderbolt reaches you, the punch will cancel it, and you have to press A and hold it again, just in time for the next wave.

i have yet to test this with spam happy characters, such as pit or falcos, but ima have to look into it.

this is my first post ever on smashboards, and i hope everyone will welcome me.

I'm not the best player around but i love maining snake, i hope to share some more input with you guys and learn to sharpen my game ;)

totaKK

Smash Apprentice
you don't have to waste time checking the priorities of jabs over moves of other characters my friend, its easily checked on the boards. May I recommend here:http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158037 ?^ ^. As you can see, Snake's jab and basically all his tilts are known for its decent priority(a reason why we use him...) They can cancel most projectiles thrown at you in the game with good timing...actually..Pika's thunderjolt could be canceled with most if not all characters with the right timing.

reading before posting is always recommended, the directors in the forums tries their best to make it very easy and obvious to find topics which you find questionable to prevent overposting of stale information.

With that said. Welcome.

wonderboykevin

Smash Rookie
thanks alot! i was half expecting "that's common sense, get outta here noob" lol.

i have just confirmed that this also works againsts pits arrows GOING STRAIGHT. when its curved in anyway to hit snake's head or feet, it wont cancel. Of course, that's because snake's hitbox is his fist.

I'm almost positive that this will work against many projectiles. I'm not sure if people will agree with me on this but, the purpose of "jabbing at projectiles" is so that you dont have to "risk" a spotdodge or mis time a jump to avoid. not only that, it DOESNT DIMINISH YOUR SHEILD. That being said, if you're not a noob like me, spotdodging and perfect guarding is far more optimal im sure.

plus, if done by the edge, the projectile will push you back alittle which may result in falling off the stage, grabbing the ledge. so yeah, careful of that.

This really gives me an edge against pikachus, cuz as a snake mainer, pikachus can be a pain imo. Pikachus can spam all day until they realize they have no choice but to close in, and that's when snake can take advantage.

wonderboykevin

Smash Rookie
Pikachu's are a pain to pretty much every snake haha
come to think of it, why havent i seen a really good pikachu vs. a really good snake lately? Has PM or Rusty put up any matches of them playin pikachus?

i would definitely like to study from it if anyone has a good video.

wonderboykevin

Smash Rookie
Thunderbolt... is that down b or nuetral b? I don't play pokemon
thunderbolt is the weakest (er, most basic i guess) form of electrical attack known in the series i believe (im actually a vet that goes back to pokemon R,B,Y. i only know up to 151).

so we're talking about the nuetral B here. Down B is just simply called "thunder".

Come on! you dont speak pikachu? "pikat-chu!" (thunderbolt) "pikaaaaaa!" (thunder)

superman969

Smash Journeyman
come to think of it, why havent i seen a really good pikachu vs. a really good snake lately? Has PM or Rusty put up any matches of them playin pikachus?

I think Anther had some new vids, and he's really good too. Idk if any are against Snake, but it'd be a pretty cool match up

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662

I play against a pretty good pika (actually just played him yesterday), he does all the fancy stuff like quick attack cancelling into aerials/thunder etc...dsmashing of course lol...but I haven't the time to make any new vids recently b/c of exams.

In about a week I'll be totally done and likely get new vids up.

P.S. Double stick DI hard left or right to get the heck out of pika's dsmash...well...at least to safety because without DI it will send you straight up and leave you a sitting duck for thunder.

wonderboykevin

Smash Rookie
I play against a pretty good pika (actually just played him yesterday), he does all the fancy stuff like quick attack cancelling into aerials/thunder etc...dsmashing of course lol...but I haven't the time to make any new vids recently b/c of exams.

P.S. Double stick DI hard left or right to get the heck out of pika's dsmash...well...at least to safety because without DI it will send you straight up and leave you a sitting duck for thunder.
whaaa! I-It's abit rusty! a runt snake like me does not deserve advice >_>

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I think Anther had some new vids, and he's really good too. Idk if any are against Snake, but it'd be a pretty cool match up
I play Anther with my Snake quite often. I can finally take some games off of him. It was a tough getting there ^_^''

Its always a close game, but he still wins most of the time :(

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero

yay im a pretty good pika : D

Top Bottom