• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni talks about the #OneUnit Illusion

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
With GimR's VGBootCamp no longer supporting Project M, Super Smash Bros. 4 having problems at APEX 2015, and some unpleasant exchanges between fans of Melee and Smash 4, it seems the community can never catch a break.

In efforts to help unite the community during EVO 2013, the hashtag #OneUnit was created as a symbol of uniting fans of all Smash games. SmashBoards Moderator, Writer/Editor, and GIFMaster Omni has made a video summarizing why it's an illusion and what can be done.

"Once upon a time in a far away place three communities lived peacefully in a land called OneUnit"

While he does keep it short, the video itself still provides a powerful message. The big message left home for anyone watching is even to those not part of the problem, don't point fingers, and while many aren't part of the problem, they can be part of the solution.

Check out the video below for more details on Omni's thoughts with a side dish of humor

The #OneUnit Illusion

If you liked this, subscribe to Omni's YouTube channel for more.

With a rapidly growing community, will you be part of the solution? Has this video helped you make a stand? Let us know in the comments below; we love to hear!

TheThirdKoopa is a very busy person. One often still wonders how he's still alive, but he has a love for Video Games (particularly Smash), Computers, Music, and Writing. He also wants people to talk with about the Persona 5 announcement since he couldn't post anything here about that. Follow him on Twitter at @Thirdkoopa

Last edited by a moderator:

Coastward

Smash Lord
whoever wrote this doesn't even know how #oneunit came to be

because it definitely wasnt made last weekend.

Joshtrip1

J Dogg
NNID
danielsjw7
3DS FC
2466-4097-7365
Why is everyone bringing up the one unit thing now? we all knew this was never a real thing. Anyone like the way that he said "we can all come together as "Smash Bros" that pun. Perfection.

Last edited:

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
What elitism on the Melee side? I thought we were cool. <_<;;

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
whoever wrote this doesn't even know how #oneunit came to be

because it definitely wasnt made last weekend.
TheThirdKoopa is a very busy person.
and someone clearly didn't read

(I forget the history of this stuff sometimes and heard that it was APEX 2015, but that was a mistake on my bad and a misread. It's been fixed as such.)

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Honestly, oneunit is never going to be a reality.
It depends. In what terms are we talking about?

People thinking we're ever going to live in a magical world where we're all going to accept each other's games and everyone's going to like them and every game is going to get 2000+ people are absurd

On the other hand, there's sort of a "United we stand, divided we fall" aspect to it and "If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all" - Both of these have shown up several times in our community across the games, whether in a competitive setting or as a whole during the process of making these games.

We're always going to have trolls. Even if we remove them from the internet, there's always going to be that guy at a tournament. The question is whether you enable it/stay back quiet or actually decide to try to make some difference. Saying that it's never going to be a reality is one thing but it's a weak statement at best; clarify on what you mean. It's always about context. Like this type of context...

Now let's let the discussion be healthy, shall we?

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't know about OneUnit, but let's bring back G-Unit

BoomToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikeydakid
3DS FC
1161-0269-8180
Just because you love one game, it does not mean that you have to hate on another. Once people stop being negative towards what isn't their favorite, there won't be any problems like this.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Smash community is just getting annoying at this point. Just stop talking about it. The only actual problem is Project M and what is going to happen with it, not our feelings and "elitism" or any other sort of pointless bull****.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I was going to note about smash 64 not being included but then I saw the description :drohyou:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
I know it was far from the point of the video, which I did understand

But what he said about PM being stolen intellectual property makes us all sound like thieves

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Now watch as this news thread too devolves into a 'Your Smash game vs. Everyone else' thread.

Don't go down that route.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Smash community is just getting annoying at this point. Just stop talking about it. The only actual problem is Project M and what is going to happen with it, not our feelings and "elitism" or any other sort of pointless bull****.
maybe if we stop talking about it. it'll go away.
APEX2014, APEX2015
I'll await APEX2016
up until APEX 20xx. Fox Rulez.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Just because you love one game, it does not mean that you have to hate on another. Once people stop being negative towards what isn't their favorite, there won't be any problems like this.
This is actually a great thought and should be continued, but tl;dr is it comes down to the specific people. I think more passion as a whole is mostly what we need more than anything.

Though I would like to add that part of it is out of crippling fear of there being room for only one Smash game at tournaments. While we're in a good posistion now, when Brawl came out, Melee and it's tournaments were quiet for quite some time.

IDK what background you come from but I'll just give my 2c,

In a day and age where it's becoming easier to psychologically bully someone or even a group thanks to social media (and if you don't think so, that's a narrow spectrum to come from), it's very easy for members to feel disliked from the community, which ends up in spiral negativity that goes deeper than "Hey there was this vBrawl guy at a Project M tournament and we kind-of kicked him out"

Let me give an example - When Smash 4 was on VGBC's stream over Melee's top 8, there was a lot of bickering around on social media and whatnot. I don't think it's that hard for more people to go "Maybe this should be on separate streams" rather than bickering.

I don't know about you, but as someone who's studied a bit of Marine Sciences, I'd rather kill a problem earlier.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
If we are ever to become one unit, part of us will still fall due to legal issues. What do we do then?

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
After the whole business with VGBC I can't imagine anyone endorsing #oneunit anymore. It just feels ridiculously forced to claim that Smash players from different games with different appeals are supposed to support eachother. Each player is an individual, if they favor one style of gameplay then in Smash that's generally going to equate to not liking another installment. Of course there are exceptions, but not expecting the previous statement to carry weight is gullible, #oneunit isn't possible outside of some magical dream land. That goes double now when one part of the Smash community has been pretty heavyhandedly excluded.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
What elitism on the Melee side? I thought we were cool. <_<;;
I know right? Way to bring Melee back into the picture when they didn't really say much. Hell, they literally gave most of their time for GF for Smash 4, so I would say it's kinda fair for now (because I know someone is going to misread this).

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
The "elitism" thats being spoken of was quite clear in the video, the disgusting display of the audience and stream viewers after Sm4sh's top 8 finished is a palpable example. Even after Melee top 8 ended up taking even longer, people refuse to acknowledge that fact and that many of the scheduling issues at Apex were not in fact Sm4sh's fualt but the obviously lost day.

Everything else spoken of in the video is also quite true, but the elitism is definatley the most animated and real world visible of them.

River Shoetailor

Smash Cadet
I Love Project M the most. I love Melee too and Smash 4 is a very pretty (albeit slower) game (And it's fantastic with friends.). I care for the people who play their respective games far more, however.

What I do not like is how carelessly (Or, maliciously) Nintendo has stepped into the competitive scene so late. I also believe they're going to be leaving very early when they recognize that supplying setups for tournaments is not going to help them sell more videogames. (I really hope they prove me wrong.)

Their actions have split us all up more than we ever have been and if their actions were to remove Project M from the scene, or build animosity for passionate Melee players they've done a spectacular job.

Think about the players of the games you don't like as much, not the title they prefer. Work together to fix the problems we've got.

Keep kicking ass everyone.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Ikr! people Lets get together and have fun!

With shrek,smash melee,wii u and PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

download (3).jpg

Last edited:

FumiQyn

Banned via Warnings
idk about you guys but ever since 3.5 release its been too quiet with PM. i haven't seen people stream it and i hope with the updates its popularity gets bumped back up. i'm not a Nintendo fan anymore but i do have to say this, at least they haven't STOPPED PM from being developed. as far as the hate in the community i just say "deal with it". there's hate in every community, i found that out at EVO and still had a great time :)

to this day, the biggest reason why the community is so divided is simply because of:

1) people who want Tech/Execution in the game-play

2)people who don't want to learn Tech/Execution in the game-play.

disagree with me all you like, troll me all you want. but it all comes down to what options the game(s) gives you and if the developers take those options away or gives us options to work with. you can tell me to "learn to adapt" all you want but i'll leave you with this.

melee (and pm) gave us options to play competitively but the game never stopped people from playing casually. 4 player pichu match's! get hype!

Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
#OneUnit will always be an illusion. As much as I love all the games, not everyone will feel the same. There will always be bouts of superiority of one Smash game. Whether it's Melee, Project M, Sm4sh, or the newest one. Plus, why did Omni not include 64 or Brawl? Granted, Project M and 4 made it sort of irrelevant, it's one of the games where it got killed by the "Smash Civil War."

Edit: Okay, clicked on the video and saw the description about 64. He's right about that.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
You forgot the brawl and smash 64 communities :[

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
honestly I cracked up. A furry who's studied "Marine Sciences" and is sincere about social justice. I'm dying over here, you're killing me.
Nice contribution.

Why do people think that oneunit is impossible to achieve? Like, he's not asking us to play the games. It's literally as simple as "don't disrespect people just because you don't play the same game as them" or "apply the things you were supposed to learn about respect and being a decent human when you were a kid."

All of us loving one another's game is ridiculous. Us preventing things like what happened at Apex from happening and us calling people out that treat other communities like garbage? Totally possible.

Last edited:

Onyxsbayne

Smash Cadet
I like Smash 4. I used to like Melee too, but with the way people treat the game and how some people act about it, I don't like it anymore. I'm not going to say Smash 4 is the best, because all the games have their flaws. I just want everyone to stop acting like their game is best and just play the game. Unfortunately, with how people act on both sides of this war, I don't think it will ever be a reality. Many Melee players are going to be elitists and claim nothing will ever be good as Melee, and Smash 4 players are always going to claim that they're the best because it's new. It's sickening really.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
One Unit can't be a thing due to how different the games are and people can't agree on anything. These videos are starting to feel the same each time.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
One Unit can't be a thing due to how different the games are and people can't agree on anything. These videos are starting to feel the same each time.
I agree the games are really only related in name, I think people, instead of one unit, be pushing unit respect. shout outs to TK

Top Bottom