• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On a scale of 1-10...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
How much deprived?

That is, if you don't mind me asking that...
Hmm...I'll give you a general idea of how deprived I am of competitive brawl. I took this out from a post I did before on complaining about how Wi-Fi is my only source of competitive (lol) matches. Here it is:

Take me for example. I live in Mackay AKA The Desert Wasteland. In Mackay, there is practically NO ONE who plays Brawl. Actually, it's more like NOBODY even owns a Wii! Therefore, the competitive Brawl commmunity or let alone, the Nintendo gaming community in Mackay is like dead. What's that? Go to a tourney you say? Oh I'd love to! Oh wait, I can't drive yet! That's too bad! What? Get my parents to take me there? Oh they don't care about me playing Brawl well at all. Hmmm what's left I wonder? HMMM... I WONDER...Well, I guess that the only option I have left is WI-Fi sadly. Random fights are the only thing I have when it comes to fighting actual real people and they are not even close to good.
Generally to sum it up in a way, the only option I have to challenging real people is by going online and having random fights. That's how deprived I am. The only thing that has made THIS good at brawl is my dedication I suppose because I normally play brawl for hours on end. Technically, now I'm untouchable on Wi-Fi with ANY character I use. (Well, random fight wise.) Also, there's only like a 5% chance of me finding an actual good player online. If I weren't this much of a hardcore player, my skills would probably be nothing like it is now. You Americans/other people who are able to go to tournaments are lucky...

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
EDIT : Wow necropost much
Yeah...

wow, haven't been on the Ike boards in a long time.
Well because I'm much more realistic now I might as well change mine, let's go with 2-3. Just an overall lack of experience, don't think I deserved the 5 I gave myself before.

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
I'd have to say a 6/10. I've learned a few unique strategies and am generally good with spacing, but I don't have too much experience offline, and I sometimes mistime my Jab Cancels.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
if you don't have tournament experience your Ike is a 1/10. Just an FYI since in this thread people severly overrate them selfs, even in the beginning all these noobs who didn't know what jab canceling was came in saying 8/10.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
if you don't have tournament experience your Ike is a 1/10. Just an FYI since in this thread people severly overrate them selfs, even in the beginning all these noobs who didn't know what jab canceling was came in saying 8/10.
Pffft! I'm so NOT a 1/10! Sheesh, give me an initial rating a little bit better than that! >_> HELL NO that I'm a noob either! I've had a few Wi-Fi matches against a good (IMO) person from here using Ike and I can thrash some of his characters that are capable of destroying Ike. Also, I don't lie/overrate myself because I'm not an arrogant **** like you think I am. Obviously from what I can tell, you don't care about people who are good from playing Wi-Fi. Fine then, that's your problem. But I'm telling you that your rating is WAAAAY far off from accurate. I would put up a video to show you how good I am, but I don't know how to because I suck at using computers.

Lately, I've being wanting to get critiqued by people here on how well I use Ike in battle. If you could see how well my Ike performs in battle, you will literally be eating what you said in your last post as well as that rating because of HOW wrong you are.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
It matters because you can't prove how good you are if you lack tournament results in general. You never really know how good or bad you are until you've given it your all at a tournament.

If you have, then that post does not apply to you. If you have not... consider doing so before seriously rating your abilities.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
It matters because you can't prove how good you are if you lack tournament results in general. You never really know how good or bad you are until you've given it your all at a tournament.

If you have, then that post does not apply to you. If you have not... consider doing so before seriously rating your abilities.
I would go to a tournament IF I WAS ABLE TO. Seriously, the nearest tournament to me is like, over 1000km away from my house so I can't get there unless if I learn how to drive. I'm that confident about my Ike and I am crazy enough to want use Ike in a tournament just from playing Wi-Fi.

I don't need anyone suddenly telling me out of the blue that "Oh your Ike is a 1/10 because you haven't been to any tournaments yet lolz!" because that just irritated me SO much that it hurt. I'm not a noob to the smash bros. series because I have been playing it since the N64 days. I play smash bros. for hours on end, I am a hardcore video game player and I do take my game seriously so I'm definitely NOT a 1/10 with my skill level.

Well, you guys can think that I'm a 1/10 with Ike, but you are all wrong. I'd show you the proof if I knew how to do so.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
First of all, skill is not directly proportional to how long you've been playing. I've been playing since the days of 64 and I'm still getting 3-stocked by Sonics on my level when I touch Ike. "but lolz ive been playing 4eva"

Second, if you can't get to a tournament, that is understandable. However, that is not a pardon for you to use. You need proof that you're a good Ike before you can really make the claim that you are. You just may well be a good Ike player, but you can't really prove that you are without tournament proof. Ok, sure, so maybe not every Ike without tourney experience is a 1/10, but until you've proven otherwise, you can't really shut anyone up...

•Col•

Smash Champion
you aren't good and you have nothing to prove me wrong.
I agree with Arturito.

Since you've never gone to a tournament and you don't have anyone to play against, you most likely aren't that good. WiFi really doesn't mean anything, I'm sorry, but it just doesn't.

It sound like you're just trying to enlarge your e***** or something. If you can't go to tournaments or play against other people, then wtf does it matter if people online think you're good or not? >_> Especially when the vast majority of us live in North America and Europe...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
you aren't good and you have nothing to prove me wrong.
First of all, skill is not directly proportional to how long you've been playing. I've been playing since the days of 64 and I'm still getting 3-stocked by Sonics on my level when I touch Ike. "but lolz ive been playing 4eva"

Second, if you can't get to a tournament, that is understandable. However, that is not a pardon for you to use. You need proof that you're a good Ike before you can really make the claim that you are. You just may well be a good Ike player, but you can't really prove that you are without tournament proof. Ok, sure, so maybe not every Ike without tourney experience is a 1/10, but until you've proven otherwise, you can't really shut anyone up...
(Exaggerates) Ehhh...If the both of you are going to gain up on me like this I might as well give it up and leave. I find hopeless to convince the both of you that I'm fairly good. I'm suffocating trying to talk to the both of you at once. I'm just saying that I'm good, not GREAT like what the both of you ARE thinking that I'm trying to make myself sound like. I think I get your point already... >_>

I agree with Arturito.

Since you've never gone to a tournament and you don't have anyone to play against, you most likely aren't that good. WiFi really doesn't mean anything, I'm sorry, but it just doesn't.

It sound like you're just trying to enlarge your e***** or something. If you can't go to tournaments or play against other people, then wtf does it matter if people online think you're good or not? >_> Especially when the vast majority of us live in North America and Europe...
I'm not saying that I am a God online. I don't care what those random people online think about me because I know that they are bad. I'm just saying that I'm fairly good both online and offline, but no one seems to care so I gave up on trying to convince everyone that I am good. Also just because I live in Australia, it doesn't mean that you can completely shut me off just because we don't have a large community of smashers. This goes for other people too who may live in other countries apart from Australia who also have a small smash community. If other people including me don't live in Europe or in America, it doesn't mean that you can completely disregard our abilities. >_<

Also, I don't need you to pitch in. I think I already get the d*** blasted point! Those two have already managed to get their point across to me and I don't need you to stab a bigger hole in my heart! I already feel stupid enough as it is. >_>

Kaito0921

Smash Rookie
Well, umm... I dont know... maybe I would give my Ike 5... maybe 4.
I must say in Germany I could be imba. But if I would fight against Renegade or Rykoshet
or Kirk... yeah, u know what I mean.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
well seriously I think I would rate my self a 5 or 6 since people tell me my Ike is like the 1st to beat there (insert random character here) but I know I still have room to improve.
Pretty much this, but I'm leaning more towards a 5.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that I am a God online. I don't care what those random people online think about me because I know that they are bad.
Eh? Arturito is probably one of the better Ike's out there. I wouldn't call him one of the best, but yeah... He's not really bad... >_>

I'm just saying that I'm fairly good both online and offline, but no one seems to care so I gave up on trying to convince everyone that I am good.
Whenever someone thinks they're good, but have never gone to a tournament before, usually are thrashed whenever they first go to one. The only people that don't get ***** are usually the ones who play against other people that have already been to tournaments anyway.

Also just because I live in Australia, it doesn't mean that you can completely shut me off just because we don't have a large community of smashers. This goes for other people too who may live in other countries apart from Australia who also have a small smash community. If other people including me don't live in Europe or in America, it doesn't mean that you can completely disregard our abilities. >_<
I wasn't saying Australia smashers are bad. I was saying that you are most likely bad because you have no one to play against, and have 0 tournament experience.

Also, I don't need you to pitch in. I think I already get the d*** blasted point! Those two have already managed to get their point across to me and I don't need you to stab a bigger hole in my heart! I already feel stupid enough as it is. >_>
...... Settle down, man... o-o This is an online forum, and Brawl is only a game...

metroid1117

Smash Master
In my opinion, you don't necessarily have to go to an offline tournament to prove yourself; if you money-match tournament-caliber players offline (people that win or place high, money-match so it's not just a friendly) that should give you a good idea of how you would do. However, if you have not gone to a tournament, I don't think you should consider yourself a 1/10; just "undetermined" would be the best answer.

But yeah, a lot of people have overrated themselves :laugh:.

@Atria: Try and find some tournament-caliber players, if you can't go to tournaments. If you can't well... that just sucks for you :urg:. I understand your situation; my friends have stuck to Melee, my parents don't let me go out to tournaments often, and the only good player I have access to easily is my brother (but even then the mindgames are screwed up since we play each other so often... and I beat him 90% of the time). What sucks is that Kirk lives about 15 min away... and I'm not allowed to go out and play him :(.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
(Exaggerates) Ehhh...If the both of you are going to gain up on me like this I might as well give it up and leave. I find hopeless to convince the both of you that I'm fairly good. I'm suffocating trying to talk to the both of you at once. I'm just saying that I'm good, not GREAT like what the both of you ARE thinking that I'm trying to make myself sound like. I think I get your point already... >_>
You don't really know *what* I'm thinking about your playing skill. A hint: I don't KNOW your playing skill. Innocent until proven guilty does not apply here because this is a testament to your skill, something I have not *seen.*

If you truly understood my point, you wouldn't feel pressured. I'm not insulting your abilities or anything (because I do not even know them), but you have to realize that (at least in my case) accepting your word when you don't have any kind of proof isn't really a good proposition for us to me.

Timmyftw

Smash Rookie
I'm no where near any tournies but have high level players to fight against all the time.
Wifi skill will only make you worse in an actual tournament. <.<

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm no where near any tournies but have high level players to fight against all the time.
Wifi skill will only make you worse in an actual tournament. <.<
Not necessarily; I used to play Wi-fi exclusively and placed 3rd out of 24 at my first Brawl tournament going all Ike. Ally placed high, if not first, in all of his first Brawl tournaments after playing Wi-fi exclusively. Wi-fi is good for learning how to read people, but of course it is no-where near as good practice as offline play.

Sito Sama

Smash Cadet
7/10

Why? Because uhhh well I seem do well against pros around here in MD/VA. Good competition here equals good practice ^^

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
i put myself 5.5
once i can consistently ledgehop QD just like Silven (so far 2 successful tries), remember to fast fall aerials 'all the time' rather than 'sometimes', and know the gap Ike can fall before he absolutely MUST Aether to make it back to the stage (sweetspotting the edge with Ike's aether's PEAK), i upgrade myself to 7 or 7.5

but then again is there a way to rate your self based on lvl 9 CPU's? i hear lvl. 9 Luigi is the hardest, so could that be a standard? like no items, handicap 0, 7 stock and less than 2 deaths count as 6/10?

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
5/10

I know his moves inside and out, can actually land his D-tilt spike once every few matches and can make him play a fast game, which is always good for heavy and powerful characters....but I get stupidly cocky and jump of the stage and suicide. I have no idea why =( I can recovery 10x better with Yoshi! That's why I don't main Ike =)

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
What would you rate your Ike? Why?
10 Because for those of us who've played Fire Emblem, we understand that Ike is just a big piece of awesomeness. He shows leadership when there is no one to lead, he stands up against injustice when everyone stands down, he’s a brilliant strategist and is really really good at saving princesses. Just look at him.

Ike = Man

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I would probably rate my Ike 7.5-8/10. Some matchups I have pretty high difficulty with and can become super predictable against (DDD). I play fairly decently most of the time.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
10 Because for those of us who've played Fire Emblem, we understand that Ike is just a big piece of awesomeness. He shows leadership when there is no one to lead, he stands up against injustice when everyone stands down, he’s a brilliant strategist and is really really good at saving princesses. Just look at him.

Ike = Man
So much truth in this post.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I would probably rate my Ike 7.5-8/10. Some matchups I have pretty high difficulty with and can become super predictable against (DDD). I play fairly decently most of the time.
I'd give you a .5 more seeing as you've already placed higher with decent people than me. I'm probably around a 7.5-8

6 or 7 cuz im not very good with him im a fast and weak kind of guy so id actually go with a 4 or 5
wtf? you think your 6 or 7 because you suck with him? but then you say your good at running and scrony so now your a 4 or a 5?

I think your a 1 too, or undertermined since metriod put it into better words.

Top Bottom