• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online and Brawl: Your Opinions

TSA

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

I'm writing a feature article and after chatting with some Smash players through IM over the past few weeks, I was told by nearly all of them to just post a thread here and get as many people's opinions on this.

Basically, I'm trying to get opinions and input from the more "hardcore" Smash crowd - those who play competitively for ranking, prize money or bragging rights (or all three) - about the possibility of online play in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

The goal of the piece is to contrast your opinions with those of a more casual crowd and try to let readers draw their own conclusions on what would be best by presenting as many sides to the argument.

So, in particular, I would like, if you guys have time, to give responses to as many of the following questions:

1) How important is it for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to have online play in terms of facilitating competitive Smash?

2) What are the biggest concerns as a competitive player that you have about an online mode?

3) In order to rectify those fears, would it be acceptable in your opinion for Nintendo to "cut out" features found in the offline mode to make the online mode work? For example, Mario Mart DS cut out some courses and items from its online mode. Would say, cutting out certain levels, characters, items or even moves be acceptable?

4) Would you like to see Nintendo running official tournaments through their online service, as well as online rankings?

5) What concerns, if any, do you have about the Wii Friend Code system being applied to online matchups, or do you think the current setup used in previous games will work fine with Brawl?

6) What about the possibilty of Nintendo "patching" Brawl over time to accomodate for "broken" characters/moves - is this something that would, in your opinion, be good or bad for the game?

7) What about downloadable content such as new characters and arenas?

8) If possible - Nintendo has shown they can record DS matches over their online service - what would you think if Nintendo would allow the ability to record online Brawl matches and showing off some of the best on their site?

9) In general, how important is it to you that Brawl has online gameplay in any shape or form.

Thank you very much - I'll keep checking back and I'll let you guys know when I put up the feature. It probably won't be up till later this month/early May.

fluffy

Smash Champion
TSA = The Smash Affiliates

or something?

i hate the idea of the downloadable stuff

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
In regards to online matchups, it's possible that friend codes won't be mandatory in deciding matchups. it was mentioned in one of the new IGN podcasts that online games (I think it was in reference to the new pokemon game, but i'm not sure) that you could use the friend codes to set up matches with people you know, or challenge someone in your skill level randomly.

D/loadable content probably won't happen. Even if it was possible to download extras, it's very possible that the new content might bug up the game.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
1) I know that online play will never replace the feeling of going to a tournament surrounded by fellow Smash advocates (ok, I've never been to one but I know it's like that), but it gives people like me the chance to play others and make new friends. And if some people can't make it to the tournament, they could always join in online. As well as having online tournaments to let people like me play against others who want to flex their Smash muscles (so to speak) against people besides their friends who just can't keep up.
2) Like I've stated, I'm not a competitive player, but I can understand some of the concerns they may have. Some players might realize that playing online is a much more viable option than driving hours to the closest tournament. But most of the hardcore tourney scene will probably stay at tournaments or might even stick to Melee.
3) I think some withdrawals will have to be made for online to run better. The last time we received info about how online was going was months ago, but Sakurai said they were having trouble with lag with more than two players. I hope that Brawl will support over 2 players (that announcement was a couple months ago after all), but maybe some items will be removed (too many Unknown could lag it). I'd rather items removed (or just in an unranked mode). Characters should not be removed no matter what. I would hate to practice with Pit for months only to find out I can't use him online.
4) Yes I would love to see Nintendo involved in the Smash scene much more than before. Possibly awards could be given (free Wii points anyone?) for winning their tournaments. Online rankings as in leader boards aren't as important to me as being able to track my own stats like amount of KOs or SDs and wins/losses.
5) It should work fine for just finding any random match and having fun (hopefully) with some random people. Friend matches should be handled like Metroid Prime Hunters where the host can choose any set of options he chooses (like offline) and their friends can chat through headset or keyboard.
6) The only reason I could see patches as bad is for people who have no access to online. Would they be stuck with broken characters, or would they have to buy some cheap disk at the store to patch it? But I don't see Nintendo patching the game unless they are serious about this game being a "hardcore online experience".
7) It's basically the same argument as my last question. The patch and content could be offered as a disk instead of a download. I see no reason why not to add in more content into the game as long as it's as good as the original content in the game.
8) I would love for this to happen but I don't think it will. Halo 2 has extensive stat tracking on the Bungie website but they didn't offer it (I know that Halo 3 has it, but that's not my point) if a game like Halo 2 didn't offer the feature, I doubt that a Nintendo game that at the current time isn't even going to offer stat tracking will allow you to save games, but I really hope Sora surprises us.
9) Very important. It will never replace the ability to have a social experience with your friends, but I've found my self playing with bots more often than people, and that's not a good thing for a multiplayer focused game like Smash. If nothing else, it gives you more practice than fighting a lifeless practice dummy.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
1) Melee is competetive w/out online. online would help a lot though

2) Random matches setting me up with a noob, or having to use the friend codes, because thats why I want online, noone in my area takes smash that seriously.

3) No characters misssing . only pain in the @$$ stages. Items, only if no online is the other alternative

4) tournaments, probably. Rankings, it depends.

5) if I need friend codes to play online, thats a big problem. Because I know only 1 person with a wii, and he's a noob.

6) It would be good if a character is truly "broken." It probably won't happen because I don't think the Wii has enough internal memory.

7) Characters and stages should be in at the start, but again, the internal memory?

8) AWESOME!!!!!!!!

9) I want full online matches, or else, so I can fight some real, non-noob people, and rise above the skill level of semi-noob.

darkshy

Smash Ace
So, in particular, I would like, if you guys have time, to give responses to as many of the following questions:

1) How important is it for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to have online play in terms of facilitating competitive Smash?
A) It is very important especially with competitivness> I think it will have a halo online effect. You go against better player which makes you better yourself.

2) What are the biggest concerns as a competitive player that you have about an online mode?
A) Friend codes and lag

3) In order to rectify those fears, would it be acceptable in your opinion for Nintendo to "cut out" features found in the offline mode to make the online mode work? For example, Mario Mart DS cut out some courses and items from its online mode. Would say, cutting out certain levels, characters, items or even moves be acceptable?
A) mabey a few item, but definatley not characters. Levels as well.

4) Would you like to see Nintendo running official tournaments through their online service, as well as online rankings?
A) yes but no. I mean if it was localized in a way where you don't get a bunch of disconnectors and such then fine.

5) What concerns, if any, do you have about the Wii Friend Code system being applied to online matchups, or do you think the current setup used in previous games will work fine with Brawl?
A)I hear the there are no universal friend codes so I find that to be a problem.

6) What about the possibilty of Nintendo "patching" Brawl over time to accomodate for "broken" characters/moves - is this something that would, in your opinion, be good or bad for the game?
A) It depends. For instance wavedashing. Taking that would affect a few peoples gameplay.

A) yes most definatley

8) If possible - Nintendo has shown they can record DS matches over their online service - what would you think if Nintendo would allow the ability to record online Brawl matches and showing off some of the best on their site?
A) That would be great! Letting player see how other players are doing would be awesome!

9) In general, how important is it to you that Brawl has online gameplay in any shape or form.
A) read answer #1

Thank you very much - I'll keep checking back and I'll let you guys know when I put up the feature. It probably won't be up till later this month/early May.

No prob :]

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I really out wall of text'd everyone so far. And it also seems that everyone has pretty much the same ideas.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman

Facilitating competitive smash? That’s a little vague. Rest assured that there will be tournaments no matter what the online situation is, and a competitive community will begin developing as soon as the game releases. However, in terms of accelerating the growth of the competitive community, my answer is absolutely. Online provides a way for players to practice/play/have fun/whatever, whenever they want. I’m not saying it will replace playing in person, but it certainly will add to that.

My biggest concern is how Sakurai’s team plans to deal with the issue of lag. Slow the game down a little online? Widen the windows for techs by a few frames? Anyone who’s played on Kaillera knows how different Smash can be online and offline. Having said that, if Brawl online works as well as Kaillera + smash 64, then I’m not too worried at all.

Removing characters and moves are the most unacceptable. I would keep all the levels in too, although if 1 or 2 were removed it wouldn’t be a dealbreaker. Items…I understand why people might want items online, but personally I wouldn’t mind if they were taken out for the sake of better online (if those two are connected in any way, which I don’t pretend to know).

That’s very idealistic. I don’t expect Nintendo to do anything regarding tournaments and rankings, aside from a win to loss ratio or something small like that. I could see tournaments being held at, say, the Nintendo World store in NY. However, the Melee tourney at Nintendo World was not very well run. If I remember correctly, it was 2 stock, weird stage selects…and no chairs. If Gauntlet continues into Brawl, I think I’ll be at those much more often than “official” Nintendo tournaments. But we’ll see.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman

It’s a great irritation, but there are ways to work around it. People at smashboards have already discussed having a section on the forums for exchanging friend codes and finding a suitable opponent. Chances are, however, that we’ll be doing most of the work ourselves if we want to be able to play people we don’t know in person.

It’s a possibility…assuming Nintendo knows what is broken and what isn’t. If they pay close attention, like was done with Halo 2, then yes, I may like them to add patches of that nature in the future. However, opinions might differ on what needs to be changed, and that’s where it will begin to trouble me.

As for adding stages and characters…maybe a couple, especially if they didn’t have time to put them in the game. Adding too many characters or stages recklessly might place imbalances in the game, but if this does happen, the offenders will be banned from tourneys, so no worries.

Just the ability to record videos and post them somewhere would be an enormous plus. If Nintendo allowed for a way to post these videos on sites like Youtube, that would be great. People without videocameras could record matches easily, and no amazing tournament matches would be left behind. Taking it one step further, if video editing was allowed, combo videos would be very easy to make…But I don’t expect Nintendo to go that far. Just give me a way to record and post videos somewhere, and I’m happy.

Not important enough that I won’t buy it if it isn’t included. Having said that, extremely important. If it isn’t there, I will have lost some of my faith in Nintendo. Online isn’t an afterthought anymore, it’s expected of a lot of games, and it’s a big disappointment when it isn’t there (Soul Calibur 3, Virtua Fighter 5). Of course, I’m sure online is a big deal for them, so I’m really expecting to see online play. The more they ignore it, the more they’ll seem backward instead of unique.

Sorry for the double post, I thought it might be too big if I did the whole thing in one post.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice

Not very important. We're buying a console game, not a computer game. Online capabilities or lack thereof won't take away from the inherent awesomeness of a super smash game.

Lag. It exists. Smash is inherently a twitch game. Meaning that in order to play with any kind of coherency or technique, you need to be able to make twitch-movements with your hand in response to what is being displayed on your screen. If what is being shown is actually half a second behind to what is happening, well, then we've got a latency problem :-P

It's hard to speculate on this question, given that SSBB is not out yet.

Yeah, that would be pretty sick. I'm sure Nintendo could like, create not only stock tournies but take advantages of other game plays such as timed matches, bonus matches, & coin matches (I've only played one coin match in all the many years I've owned SSBM.)

I'm not a Wii owner so I wouldn't know :-(

Nah, they should get it right the first or give rise to the tiers once again.

HALLEJUAH!!! That would be SOOO awesome you have NO IDEA! omgawd. Even cooler would be the releasing of new characters & stages based on who's winning tournaments/whos on top in the Ladder!

Yeah, that'd be good. It seems the SSBM community already has the handle on this though, and chances are there will be more notable matches to be recorded and uploaded to the internet in non-online play versus than in games (w/ inherent lag) played on-line.

Question numero seven answers this. Just the concept of -NEW- downloadable things for your smash, whether it be characters, arenas, mini-games, adventure modes, I mean the possibilities here are endlessly AWESOME. I think, this is something that really gave Halo 2 players a reason to keep playing, and should definitely be used and abused to keep a solid base of SSB Brawl players, should Nintendo do this!

xfootdoctor

Smash Cadet
I think online brawl capabilities would be awesome.
Instead of bothering my friends to play I can just look up someone online to play.
It'll probably make you a better smasher...you can practice with different kinds of people's ways of playing....you get so used to your friends you know how they play...when your competing in tournaments you don't know their style..and this can help you so you know what to expect
well...I think online play is cool
I don't like the ideo of downloadable stuff

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0

Not real important as competitive Smash is decently big right now, but yet it's not well known to people who don't play Smash this way. Online would probably make it more publically known.

Lag, Lag, Lag, Lag, and oh yes, Laaaaggg. Also, if we have to use items or forced to play 4 player when possible, I will be very dissapointed.

Take out any stage that can cause a bunch of lag, limit it to 2 players (or at least have the option) and take out or set items to low/very low.

Of course, that would be awesome.

I really have no problem with it except you have to find some way to communicate with such as by IM or cell phone so that you both search for each other simultaniously. Having the ability to see who in your friend list is online AND being able to contact them (like a certain sound or emblem in the corner could be sent to them if they're in a match.) Chatting between friends would be benificial as well to setting up matches and stuff.

You would think that it's a good idea, but like another person said before me, it could just result in a bunch of more mistakes and glitches, not to mention how much space it would take up on your Wii's small flash drive.

Same as number 6, but even more so.

heh, why not? I would love to able to save my best moments. Infact, you should have an option to prerecord every match and at the end ask if you want to save it.

I might sound noobish, but online is one of the biggest features about Brawl that I'm looking forward to. Because of this, I'm really hoping that online is easy to work with, but not severely limited.

SkiMaskSkeet

Smash Cadet
Indeed a good questionaire.

Online play is almost a must for a game with such a immense level of hype as this one does, but in terms of competitiveness it is hardly needed as with Melee, people would manage with local tournaments but the concept of an online tournament sounds quite appealing.

One thing that is always a key factor is lag but I doubt it will be a huge problem. My main concern would be the community online and if it would be accepting of all skill levels.

I would rather have it that they take longer to finish the game than to have anything cut out.
It's better to have a longer wait time than to waste 50 dollars on a semi-finished game, right?

Sure

Well, since I don't own a Wii I can't answer that.

It sounds like it has good points and bad points, this is assuming most Wii users connect their Wii online and sometimes this doesn't happen. Logging in one day and finding that character cut out that you wanted in so badly was now in sounds pretty awesome though.

As long as they don't charge for it, shoot.

Fantastic! I love the idea. It would keep me from having to waste tape on some of my own.

Not too important but I would be sad to see it removed.

L5LM_Gtlink

Smash Apprentice
1. Depends on the lag. If it can reflect fighting somne as if you two are in the same room hooked up to the same console, then it would be a godsend.

2. Lag

3. Not really. I don't want to loose other features just to have lackluster online.

4. Hell yes

5. The only real problem that I have with the friend code sytem is it's tedious nature. A different code for each person gets a bit dull after a while.

6. I guess. As long as it doesn't harm the game in any way.

7. Im all for it.

8. That would be great.

9. It would open up all new doors for the smash community.

Id also like to be able to view matches being played by other guys online. That would be awesome as well

TSA

Smash Rookie
Thanks so far for your answers. I'll keep checking back until the end of next week. You guys, if any of you have an issue with being quoted, let me know after this post. I also may PM some of you for a name (first name only) and age (gotta be over 13).

Thanks again.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
1) They said they'd give us online play, so I want it. Take a look at the 360 games, almost EVERY game is online. If Brawl, a MAJOR Nintendo title ISN'T online, then we've got a problem.

2) Noobs/Stuck Ups people mouthing off and lag. Lag is the most important one.

3) Levels + Items yes. Moves and Characters? NO.

4) They better.

5) I dunno...

6) Pathing as in maybe modfying character LOOKS or adding customizations for your character would be nice. Change the characters move set after releasing Brawl then you've changed the soul. It doesn't work, what if someone without the update plays? Sure they could make it mandatory that you get the update, but even at that, it wouldn't be acceptable. DONT TOUCH THE CHARACTERS ONCE YOU RELEASE BRAWL. Nintendo should make sure they're not broken before the release.

7) Would love it. In fact, that BETTER be a feature.

8) Great, makes it easier for us to make videos to post on YouTube - thus people will wtch it, more advertisement Nintendo gets the better.

9) Brawl Gameplays the most important thing. NO LAG. I expect it to be me playing in my home against a few friends. I know I'm asking for a lot, but we have waited for a long time.

So. Nintendo should deliver.

keko_keko

Smash Cadet
Just the ability to record videos and post them somewhere would be an enormous plus. If Nintendo allowed for a way to post these videos on sites like Youtube, that would be great. People without videocameras could record matches easily, and no amazing tournament matches would be left behind. Taking it one step further, if video editing was allowed, combo videos would be very easy to make…But I don’t expect Nintendo to go that far. Just give me a way to record and post videos somewhere, and I’m happy.
Just expanding on that idea, i thought it would be cool if they implemented a replay sorta file as they did in warcraft 3. Since it recorded the actions of the players, rather then actual video footage it was able to record hours of gameplay without even breaking the 1mb boundary. So people could have the option of saving the match after game, in a quite small file, and exchange them over the net, then open up them in the SSBM game and watch without sacrificing any quality.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Just expanding on that idea, i thought it would be cool if they implemented a replay sorta file as they did in warcraft 3. Since it recorded the actions of the players, rather then actual video footage it was able to record hours of gameplay without even breaking the 1mb boundary. So people could have the option of saving the match after game, in a quite small file, and exchange them over the net, then open up them in the SSBM game and watch without sacrificing any quality.
That sounds sort of what some emulators like Visual Boy Advance can do. I love that feature because the sizes are so small. Plus it allows you to move the camera around anywhere and the video continues.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
Besides the new characters, brawl is melee without online play(even though u can play melee online.) thats like the big thing for me and my friends, we want to be able to smash from across the city. If brawl doesnt have online play then its gonna be a huge disappointment.

and if it doesnt have some kind of online then whats the point of brawl not being a release title?????????

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Thanks so far for your answers. I'll keep checking back until the end of next week. You guys, if any of you have an issue with being quoted, let me know after this post. I also may PM some of you for a name (first name only) and age (gotta be over 13).

Thanks again.
I don't think I have issues with being quoted, but I'd still like you to run it by me before you do, if you quote me.

shapular

Smash Ace
TSA = The Smash Affiliates

or something?
The Silent Assassin :)

That would be great for me, since I have no one to play with :ohwell: it would make it a lot easier to hold international tournaments (especially for those who don't have enough money to travel to play video games), though I guess travelling is part of the fun, along with seeing the people you're playing against.

Lag, people quitting in the middle of matches, a bunch of other stuff that has been brought up plenty of times

I don't think they should ever cut out characters or moves, but stages and items are fine

Even if they suck, it would be nice to see them try :)

I've never used Friend Codes, no opinion

It kind of depends. If one character is so dominant that almost nobody else can win, nerf it right away. But if it isn't that bad, it would probably be weird getting used to new moves or move properties after being used to them for a long time.

Heck yes

Recording matches would be very nice, but I would rather I have the video than Nintendo. Then maybe you could post it straight from your Wii onto Youtube or something. This would also be great for Stadium players, since it takes a while to get new records, and I definitely don't want to waste batteries recording me messing up over and over again.

VERY important, because I'd like to actually be able to play people, and not just the computer. Especially the people I talk to on AIM who live a few states away.

Sensai

Smash Master
TSA said:
Not very. My reasoning is that online Smash will lag, and if Brawl is anything similar to Melee in it's necessity for precise timing...this will not do.

TSA said:
Lag. But again I stress: it won't be used for tournaments. Maybe some hosted by Nintendo, but not for us serious players.

TSA said:
Levels, fine. Items, even better (no items would be ideal, as that would cut out a LOT of lag). Moves and characters, absolutely not. Moves being the worst thing to take out.

TSA said:
Yes, but not for reasons that one might think. It'd be nice for me to see this solely because it means that they care about the competitive Smash community, and also because it shows that they plan on being dedicated to the consumers this generation around.

TSA said:
If it's anything like Mario Kart DS, I'll be fine. I'm perfectly fine playing with strangers, especially since I know tournaments (our tourneys, mind you) won't be online. If they were, however, then I'd be a little more upset; imagine having to put in friend codes for every single round. Absurd. Nintendo needs to fix that...

TSA said:
It could go either way, honestly. A gun in itself is not evil, nor is patching. The person shooting makes that call. Assume for a moment Melee was online. If they used patching to fix Sheik's Dthrow, then I could understand. Sure, the Sheik's of the community would **** bricks, but for everyone else (EVERYONE ELSE), it'd be fine. If they instead chose to patch wavedashing...that'd be bad; the entire community would be up in arms about it.

TSA said:
Knowing Nintendo, it's going to cost us extra. And knowing Nintendo, it's going to be probably overpriced. And knowing us, we're going to buy it. Over and over and over again. Sure, bring it on.

TSA said:
Absolutely. This is something that I've been wanting ever since the first Smash. Camera Melee or Camera Mode or whatever it's called was the first step in this direction. Bring it on Nintendo, and while you're at it, make it so we can save it to SD cards.

TSA said:
Fairly important. I am frackin' sick and tired of CPUs.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hmmm, I can't think of a good answer on that one.

Like many people, lag and disconnecting players. Also, an online ranking system. Some people would only play for rank thus, try and find cheap ways of winning (or disconnect).

That'd be fine. Afterall, there are plenty of maps on Melee that aren't very suitable for competitive smash. I could aslo understand not adding some items in order to make the matches more fair for everyone (Ex: the Hammer?). But, definitely not characters.

No to online rankings, as I said in response 2. I don't see anything wrong with Nintendo doing tournaments... I don't really see how they'd choose who participated in them but, yeah it'd be fine with me.

Well, so long as you can keep a buddy list it'd be okay I suppose. They'll probably let you play with random people in your region or around the world like they did with Mario Kart DS.

Eh... If they do it right it wouldn't hurt I don't think. They made 3 (I think) different versions of Melee that fixed a few things so, I don't see why they can't do something like that for Brawl with their online service.

That'd be great. I don't expect that happening very often, though. I was thinking they'd have one big download (or update) that added a few characters and stages... maybe some items too or, maybe they did such a thing once a year (if even that).

It'd be neat if they allowed you to save them to the Wii's memory so you could put them on your SD card. But, I'm not expecting that they allow us to record matches.

Should it not have an online mode I'll still buy it and enjoy it just like Melee (assuming it's as good as Melee) but, an online mode would still be nice to have.

Top Bottom