• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Multiplayer or Local Mutliplayer?

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=3156]Online Multiplayer or Local Mutliplayer?[/drupal]

So in today's gaming world of FPS' and a surprising amount of western RPGs, Online mulitplayer rules the land. But what about local multiplayer? A frightening number of games seem to have omitted offline multiplayer. This is a problem that I feel needs to be addressed.

I'm personally on the indifferent side when it comes to online gaming, while yes that are games that I enjoy playing online for the most part it just doesn't appeal to me like it does to most people these days. With that said, it makes me sad that online multiplayer has pretty much overtook the multiplayer scene. The feeling of being huddled around a TV with three of your best buds playing a game that all of you love is just something that cannot be replicated with online gaming. Although there are some things you can only do with online multiplayer, like sixteen players all in one game. And there are some games that would just be awkward in split screen (Boardlands is a good example). But there is a way that this can be solved, console gaming should take a page out of PC gaming's book and try LAN support (another one of the nice features that the Game Cube had that everyone ignored). Think about it, this way we can have the advantage of having numerous people all in one game while still retaining the fun of local mutliplayer. Sure, it would be a pain in the *** to set up but I honestly think that if it was implemented well then it would be a great way to have the best of both worlds.

While online multiplayer may be overtaking local mutliplayer, I honestly hope we do find a way to bridge the gap. And if not I hope that local mutliplayer doesn't get lost in the shuffle when the next generation rolls around.

Pleather

Smash Cadet
I know what you mean, in fact, I'm currently at a friend's house where we just take turns playing CoD online, and that's fun, but I really wish there was an easy way for us to play offline on separate screens, LAN-style. I don't even know if the PS3 has LAN support, but I'd assume so, but even then we'd need another system and game or two. Splitscreen offline just doesn't cut it, which is really unfortunate. Luckily Brawl is played on one screen, so it doesn't suffer from the same problems these FPS's and RPG's suffer from.

I'm also always disappointed when a game is lacking Co-Op, and I mean Co-Op campaign modes as well as Co-Op online play (Halo). You still have to deal with a splitscreen when you're playing offline, but at least screen cheating isn't an issue when it's Co-Op.

I've never even experienced a LAN... party? haha. But I can imagine how fun it would be: much better than fighting against a person almost completely masked by the internet.

I hope online play doesn't overtake offline play entirely, but I can certainly imagine a future when cameras and microphones and what-not bypass the online barrier, maybe not completely, but enough to sufficiently simulate offline play.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I agree. In fact, I strongly agree.

It was a massive disappointment when I found that my two Call of Duty games don't have offline multiplayer. Wi-fi and high-speed internet don't exist out here where I live. It's as though game developers don't give the time of day to people like me.

I suppose a world where games have only online multiplayer could also, with enough twisting, could reinforce the concept of antisocial pimple-faced nerds being the majority / entirety of gamers. >_>

That aside, it can't hurt to include offline multiplayer in any case.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I still prefer Halo 1's LAN parties over Halo's latest Live ventures.

I prefer in person to online multiplayer because you can hurl abuse and crack jokes at people right next to you.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
well local multiplayer and online multiplayer both have their advantages and disadvantages. i still prefer local multiplayer too.

local multi, you get to hang around with your bed budds, share good times playing a game.

online, you get to verse people when your by yourself and can have up to 16 people playing.

but onlines no local though

D

Deleted member

While I do prefer online multiplayer nowadays, no way should local multiplayer should be a thing of the past. I had tons of fond memories of playing on local mulitplayer with Nintendo 64 games, which I consider to be the last pure video game console that was actually good that I played (Not including handheld. The Nintendo Gamecube was okay, but it didn't really hold my interest for long, despite the excellent Super Smash Bros. Melee).

However, the local multiplayer genre thrives on the Nintendo Wii, which is a good thing because it shows that Nintendo at least cares about local multiplayer in games suited for it. I was really disappointed when The Conduit didn't support it.

Top Bottom