• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

online play teaching us bad habits?

lilblake91

Smash Rookie
I've been playing brawl for awhile, and once you think about it, playing actually human being is the only way you're going to get better. playing against computers will cause you adapt a horrible strategy that only works against predictable computers. playing online doesn't get us better either, because the button delay doesn't allow us to do much besides smash attacks. The only way you can get better is by playing people around you a lot, and you all will gradually get better.

I want to play online, but I feel like it will be teaching me bad habits that I will suffer for when playing against an actual person on the same wii (doing attacks to early, doing too many smash attacks, etc...)

I was just wondering about everyone else's thoughts on the situation, do you feel like you're actually getting better by playing online?

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
the only thing i find myself doing more is spamming dash attacks... but thats only when i play someone with say yellow connection.. which is usaully someone from another state

but with my friends here in my city its lagless... its jsut as if i were palying them next to me so i see no difference other than that

idk

hebrewhammer

Smash Apprentice
From experience of playing online with smash 64, I'd say it doesn't effect your real life play at all. I myself got better 10 fold on 64 from playing online.

SqueakyMetal

Smash Cadet
From experience of playing online with smash 64, I'd say it doesn't effect your real life play at all. I myself got better 10 fold on 64 from playing online.
i agree. i think playing online will make you much better as opposed to getting worse.

i had the exact same concerns while playing my first online match, but i think that playing someone who can do something different, and learn from their mistakes will always get you better at the game. as long as they can adapt quickly.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Online matches excite me, 'cause now I get to play with real people. I've already stopped sucking so much, because formerly I only played CPUs for the most part!

I also haven't have delay that would cause me to hit buttons differently, so it's definitely helping me.

Cheerio

Smash Cadet
If you over think the situation you will only place a placebo effect on yourself. You may think that you are forming bad habits because you are playing online, and in thinking that you will place harsher limits on yourself.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Playing online does actually sort of teach you bad habits. With the lag, precision moves are difficult, so large multi-hitbox attacks can be spammed fairly safely. However, if you don't have anyone to play, its still better to play online rather than against computers. You'll just have to learn fast when you go up against real opponents in person.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Online play is great because it allows you to develop new strategies based on what you see others doing, but playing a lag fiesta isn't that helpful.

Online play = - reflexes and +mindgames.

lilblake91

Smash Rookie
Playing online does actually sort of teach you bad habits. With the lag, precision moves are difficult, so large multi-hitbox attacks can be spammed fairly safely. However, if you don't have anyone to play, its still better to play online rather than against computers. You'll just have to learn fast when you go up against real opponents in person.
that's exactly what I'm talking about, I'm scared I'm gonna adapt to spamming large hit box attacks with bad recovery and then I try doing that when I play someone offline and I'm gonna get whooped. But I guess it is better to play online than to play the computer

Top Bottom