• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Playing Guide

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
For those who have the game but arent sure how to play Online, this is the guide for you.

First you go to Wi-Fi on the Game Select Menu. Hit yes to the left and the Connection screen will come up. After a few seconds it will take you to the Wi-Fi Menu.

In the Wi-Fi Menu you have the choice of playing Friends (upper right icon) or Anyone (upper left icon). And there is an Options icon below those two. If you click on the Options icon it will bring up two different icons. The top one allows you to give permission for your matches to be replayed for Spectator Mode and such. If you click on it the top is Yes, the bottom is No. The lower icon in the Option Menu asks if you want to recieve Brawl info that will be sent to your inbox. Top is Yes, bottom is No.

Also see here from the Dojo Site for Choosing Anyone Mode and Friend Mode
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi04.html

Anyone Mode

If you choose Anyone in the Wi-Fi Menu, it will bring up the Anyone Menu. The icon in upper left is Spectator Mode. The one in the upper right is basic Brawl, and the one on the bottom is Team Battle. Click on Basic Brawl and you will go to the Character Select Screen. You can choose your character and color there. Also in the upper right is the Item Switch which you can adjust to your liking. You can also go back to the Anyone Menu from here by selecting the icon in the upper left corner.

Once the character is selected you go to the Stage Select Screen. You can choose stages from Brawl and Melee here. But no Stage Builder stages.

With a stage selected you will go to the loading screen where you can beat on the Sandbag. In the upper left time counts down until your match. The match never begins until the time counts down completely, even if you have 4 players ready to go. Also if no one else joins in the system will boot you after about 5 minutes

The matches are always 2 min timed. After the match it shows the match results then you return to the Character Select Screen again.

Friend Mode

For Friend Mode, you select the upper left icon in the Wi-Fi Menu. It will take you to the Friend Menu. Then you can enter friend codes with the Friend List icon in the upper right. In the Friend List Menu choose a grey slot and put in the 12 digit Brawl Code, and enter a name for that person.

When the Brawl Code is in you can click on it and three options come up. The top one is to go back to the Friend Menu. The middle is to join a friends room. Its not selectable if this friend does not have a room open. The bottom option is to erase that persons Brawl Code.

Also on this screen if you go to the top you can click on your tab and change you own character icon and name. This is also where you enter in your taunts. Enter each taunt in the box with the corresponding arrow. There are four spaces for four taunts. Each taunt can be up to 20 characters long.

Also See here from the Dojo Site for adding to your Friend List and entering Taunts
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi03.html

If you go back to the Friend Menu you can open up your own room. You have three choices for the three modes. The upper left is Basic Brawl. Click on this and the top icon is Create a Room. Or you can toggle down in your friend list below and join in on their rooms if they have one created. If you click on Create a Room it will bring up the Character Select screen. Here you can choose your character and color. In the upper left is the Rules Switch. You can set everything to your liking. You also have the option of setting CP players here.

With your character selected it continues to the Stage Select Screen. You can choose a Brawl or Melee stage.

Then is the Loading Screen. If a friend joins in the match starts up quickly, considerably more so than in Anyone Mode. The player icon will light up when a friend joins. You have to click on yes (left) to allow a them to join. Otherwise they cant enter your Room. You can exit the Loading Screen and return to the Wi-Fi Menu by pressing start and then left - right - A - start buttons. Otherwise the match will begin given that another friend has joined. After the match it shows the match results then you return to the Character Select Screen again.

Back in the Friend Menu at the bottom you can also choose Multi-man Brawl on the lower left, or Home Run Contest on the lower right. This will take you to Character Select screen, then the Loading Screen. Again you have to approve a friend who joins in here.

Note: Too get all the Online Friend Mode Icons, you need to unlock them by getting all 35 characters.

Note: When choosing the Item setting and Stage in Anyone Mode the system will randonly select from the players choices. The system selects them independently so you could get your chosen Stage and not your Item settings, vice-versa, both or neither.

Note: The person who hosts the room in Friend Mode decides the Rules for the match. However the Item setting and Stage is selected randomly from the players choices.

Note: When playing people overseas expect considerable lag. For example a Friend Mode match between America and Japan runs at about 75% normal speed.

Note: For people playing on-line outside of Japan your chances of playing Anyone Mode are close to zero because no one is in your local network. think about it, the game has not been released outside of Japan yet. Thus if you try Anyone mode, you will get to the Load Screen wait around and get kicked out with an Error Code: 85010. Your best bet is to get Brawl Codes through SWF and play on Friend Mode. If friends dont join your room you will get the 85010 Error Message here too.

I hope this is useful for some people out there.

Also here is my Unlockables Guide, with English translations of the Japanese cues in Challenges Mode and other Unlockables info.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3827850#post3827850

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
would u be able to PLEASE (or someone) post a guide on training mode and item setup, just the translations at least. Because training mode in japanese = so hard to understand, especially when picking items.

Are all items listed in Japanese, since the character names arent.

NotEz

Smash Journeyman
wait...you said

Random Mode:
Click on VS Mode and you will go to the Character Select Screen. You can choose your character and color there. Also in the upper right is the items switch which you can adjust to your liking.
what happens if you pick different items then the person you end up fighting against?:dizzy:

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
there is a Song Select option in the Options Menu. It has all your songs there arranged by the Stages you can play them on. Each stage can have up to 8 playable songs though not all of them do.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
so how are the songs chosen when playing anyone/friend? does it just randomly choose somebody's list? or are they already there online?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
So I think my Wifi is set up, but everytime I get to the sandbag screen (waiting for match) I get what appears to be an error message and it goes back to the WiFi screen. Any suggestions?

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
So I think my Wifi is set up, but everytime I get to the sandbag screen (waiting for match) I get what appears to be an error message and it goes back to the WiFi screen. Any suggestions?

Is it in Anyone Mode? If the icons stay grey it means no one has joined in and the system will boot you after a while. Ive been having that problem because not many people are playing onlone right now. I think it would be even worse if you are playing from outsid of Japan. I think your chances of playing someone in Anyone Mode are close to zero.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I see. well it's good news to see the whole soundtrack at least being available online in any format.

I'm still curious to know if lag is possible between two great connections in the farthest points of the nation; like Maine to SoCal or Florida to Washington.

Lawke

Smash Cadet
Could you please post a small tutorial on setting up Wi-Fi on a Japanese Wii?

I just received mine and I am able to do it on my own American Wii with my wireless router, however I'm having issues with naviagation through the Japanese Wii.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
i think you can change the wii consoles language, but i might be wrong.
yet look on the internet search in google.com 'wii language' or something.

but thats only the console not the game.
its pretty easy just click new connection, yet i dont have my Wii infront of me and i dont know if JP is different

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Is there a 1 on 1 option, or are all the brawls free-for-all or team 2 on 2? If there is no option, does the game still sometimes go 1 on 1 if there are 2 people waiting together for a long time with no one joining?

EDIT: oops, to clarify, I'm talking about with anyone.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
In Anyone mode you cant decide how many people play. Its determined by the system and how many other people are on line. Right now it seems there arent many people in Anyone Mode. Its hard to get a match going.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
@ original poster:

Player A wants to create an online match and invite players B and C to it. Player B is a friend with A. Player C is a friend with A. However, player's B and C are not friends. Will this work?

Why is this important? If a host is running matches for a tournament, it's easier to have everyone add the hosts(judges) instead of having to worry about which opponents they need to add next or altogether.

Pumpkins

Smash Rookie
@ original poster:

Player A wants to create an online match and invite players B and C to it. Player B is a friend with A. Player C is a friend with A. However, player's B and C are not friends. Will this work?

Why is this important? If a host is running matches for a tournament, it's easier to have everyone add the hosts(judges) instead of having to worry about which opponents they need to add next or altogether.
This is my question as well.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
This is my question as well.
Only people who have added you as a friend can join your room. Thus any person who wants to join needs to get your Brawl Code first. Thats the only way Im afraid. However two other people who join your room dont necessarily have to have eachothers Code so long as they have yours.

Top Bottom