• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Speific Questions

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Are you ever going to go online to just completely destory some inexperienced players?

Will you play online with items? If so, how often?

Do you plan on fighting more random matches or (Friend Code) FC matches?

4-player matches or 1 on 1's, why?

Do you EXPECT (not want) a good ranking system?

Is anyone actually going to try a coin match online?

How much do you expect to play online a day?

How should disconnectors be penalized?

These are just some questions to get the ball running. You don't have to answer them all, just the ones you are interested in. The last online thread got a little off topic, and these questions weren't adressed very much.

lollerskater

Smash Cadet
The only things I ask for when it comes to online is the ability to choose a map and to turn off/on the items. I don't care if you can only play using friend codes... I'd probably only want to play more skilled people on message boards anyway, rather than random people.

Mario Strikers runs great online... but there usually always seems to be a tiny bit of lag when it comes to button inputs. It really doesn't matter much when it comes to the gameplay in Strikers, but if Smash works in a similar way it might be a problem, considering the precision required for high-level play.

I hope that they do what DOA4 does, which is to literally slow down the game when lag occurs. It may be annoying sometimes, but I think its better than having lag in your button inputs.

psicicle

Smash Ace
Are you ever going to go online to just completely destory some inexperienced players?

Not unless it's with noobs

Do you plan on fighting more random matches for FC matches?

What? If I guess what the question is right... I'm guessing FC mathces with people on smashboards, because that will mean less butthole hackers and AR cheaters.

1v1 because I don't really like the chaos of 4p matches, I enjoy having more control over the match.

No, not at all because it would pretty tough and it will lead to random matches being plagued with hackers and AR.

However if those two concerns were addressed, then I would love an online ranking system.

Not me.

Not much, because I can't really.

Well, if there is a ranking system, then with a few points knocked off. Those with a crappy connection would be unfairly penalized but if they really do have a such a crappy connection that craps out all the time, chances are they are going to be too frustrated to keep going online anyway and it's just bad for everyone they play with.

If there isn't, then a 15 minute wait time. For the same reasons as above

I think online should probably not have a completely customizable item switch because that would lead to sparser rooms. I think a few standard sets of items is probably the best way to keep "rooms" (for the different item configs) fuller.

Of course, the all items on and the all items off configs would probably be most populated.

Smash Master
Yes, I'm going to destroy noobs, then try to train them to become better. Disconnectors should be penalized with a loss.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
This thread is a bit pointless considering we know nothing of what online if there is any, will entail.
Online has been confirmed... several times. And even if it wasn't, why be a downer...

I personally can't wait to own some newbs when I'm in a bad mood. It's too bad I can't see them, I love the face when I'm just chainthrwoing the crap out of someone. As far as DCers, 15 min penatly sounds fine to me. And as far as Coin Matches go. No, just no.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I'm kinda hoping for voicechat just to hear the screams of "CHEAP" and "CHEATER" and stuff like that. It's just funny to me to hear stuff like that.

However I really doubt there will be voicechat seeing as there isn't really any headset or anything and I don't think nintendo wants the voicechat clogged with halo-esque stuff.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess I could be considered as an inexperienced player, but I hope i can destroy some of them =P

maybe for fun when I'm bored

Do you plan on fighting more random matches for FC matches?
no idea

well 4 player matches are fun, but 1 on 1s test the real skill =P

there might be, it would be nice

im not a big fan of coin matches =[

as much as i can hehe

auto-win for the other player(s). i guess

=D

Wreked

Smash Lord

Maybe, it's kinda mean, fun, but mean.

95% of the time, I love items!

Almost all of my friends have xbox 360s so no.

50-50. I'll play 1 on 1 once I first get it to get used to a couple characters and find my main. And once i'm good i'll find someone to 4 play with.

Most definitely.

Maybe if they have it.

Once I good at a player, 60% of my playing of Brawl will be online. The rest will be trying to get more stuff.

Their ranking goes down a couple spots.
These are just some questions to get the ball running. You don't have to answer them all, just the ones you are interested in. The last online thread got a little off topic, and these questions weren't adressed very much.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace

No.

Yes, probably 30/70.

Random.

One on One's. For one, lag, for two, I just don't like 4 player.

Not really.

Not me!

A couple hours. I'm sure I'll start out doing it as much as I can a day until the newness runs out.

They shouldn't. If there is a ranking system, it should count as a loss.
10 characters.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
YES!!! If possible I'll try to set up some 3 vs me matches.
Depends on how the tournament scene takes the items debate this time around, in which case, probably not much seeing as how people are dead set against them.
Probably more Friend matchhes, mainly cause the average player won't provide much entertainment.
I never liked 4 on 4 matches, even in my casual days. It promotes a lot of gay play and often times the ****ty players drop in on the one good player. Kinda like a ****ed up feeding frenzy on shark week. I actually perform much better in 3 v 1's than 4 on 4s. At least I know consistently who is out to get me that way :-P.
Nope, and I hope to bajesus there isn't one, or a very simple one. A lot of people abuse these systems and will quit matches and all sorts of crap just to have a little bit higher rank. It also won't prove much, because a lot of the better players won't play enough to have the higher ranks more than likely, and the people who boast their rankings would be considerably lower in skill because of the fact that the good players only care about tournament results.

Sadek

Smash Rookie
I hope that there is a games-in-queue option so you can connect to either games with/without items and choose stages- etc etc. I have a worrying feeling that Nintendo, being pretty inexperienced with true online, that it might just be randomised stages with items on all the time.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Online has been confirmed... several times. And even if it wasn't, why be a downer...

I personally can't wait to own some newbs when I'm in a bad mood. It's too bad I can't see them, I love the face when I'm just chainthrwoing the crap out of someone. As far as DCers, 15 min penatly sounds fine to me. And as far as Coin Matches go. No, just no.
Online has never been confirmed, so don't spread false hope.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Yes. When you play ranked matches, you face noobs and pros, but mostly noobs. If you want to play ranked, you WILL face noobs. However, I wouldn't go into it intending to embarress and upset inexperienced players.

Nope, if I ever wanted to play with items, I'd do it offline. Too much lag.

Way more FC matches, but I'll do both.

1v1, more fun IMO and less lag.

Yes, I honestly do.

No.

At first, probably like 5 hours a day, since it's Christmas vacation, but during school, probably just an hour a day.

A loss, and the person they DC'd on should get a win. (Note, only in ranked matches. )

Knightblade

Smash Cadet
If online is indeed going to happen, i'm probably going to avoid the experience unless i am playing just 1v1's (no items -_-) with my friends, i dont think i would play online with anyone else unless im really bored.

Adi

Smash Lord
Meh whatever, there's nothing you can do about it. One loss is one loss, it's not going to kill you, and no one's going to give a crap since no one will be using online as a standard for recognition

SpiritAshura

Smash Cadet
What if the person DC because of a power outage? that wouldn't be fair?
Yeah because the game is gonna know when it was an intentional disconnect and when it was unintentional from an outside source such as a random power outage or something. Use your head please.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Sure if there's a way to pick who you play. But now that I'm good at Melee, I hate playing inexperienced players. It's just not fun. So once I get good at SSBB, no.

Never. Items IMO should be turned off during online...but they aren't in Mario Strikers Charged, which makes me worry. Hopefully online will be customizable.

Only two of my friends are probably going to buy it, so I'll FC Match them alot when available, but most of my online time will go to random matches.

1v1's because 4 player matches take the skill out of it sometimes. You can get "unintentionally teamed" by 2 or 3 different players. Also, it's way too chaotic for me. I like to be able to see what's happening.

Heck yes.

Never.

2 hours a day. Even on school nights. Weekends = 4-6 hours a day.

Yes they should. They should get a one-hour ban, a loss, and you should get a win or points of some sort.
And that's what I think =].

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!

I find no fun in that... I like giving lessons though

Yes, I think I will mostly play with items. I will play Brawl with items unless the game without items is proved to be superior.

Random

FFAs are always fun. Maybe I'll go for a few 1on1 without items.

DO NOT WANT (4chan style hehe)

psicicle

Smash Ace
Yeah because the game is gonna know when it was an intentional disconnect and when it was unintentional from an outside source such as a random power outage or something. Use your head please.
Go to my post.

If it was a power outage... how long do those last? I'm guessing longer than 15 minutes, which is what I think should be a "not able to play online" penalty for unranked games.

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
you ever going to go online to just completely destory some inexperienced players? YES. OH GOD YES. I NEED SOME MAJOR EGO STROKING BECAUSE ALL MY FRIENDS ARE BETTER THAN ME. And to a Mod's post above me, YES I WOULD LOVE TO OWN CHILDREN 3v1 AGAINST ME BECAUSE MY E-PEEN NEEDS SOME STROKING BECAUSE SSBM IS THE ONLY COMPETITIVE GAME I DON'T SUCK AT

Will you play online with items? If so, how often? No. Never. But I guess I can't play noobs that way, so maybe once in a while.

Do you plan on fighting more random matches or (Friend Code) FC matches? Both, equal amounts of both.

4-player matches or 1 on 1's, why? 1 on 1s mostly, the occasional FFA (to fight noobs, obviously, I have a very delicate ego you know)

Do you EXPECT (not want) a good ranking system? No, no game really has a good ranking system in the first place, and by God I hope they don't do WoWs old honor system.

Is anyone actually going to try a coin match online? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! NO!

How much do you expect to play online a day? All day as long as it's good and not like say... Halo's

How should disconnectors be penalized? The Burger King ***** them in their sleep. But in seriousness, losing the match will be fine by me. I mean some people disconnect by accident or just bad luck so I wouldn't want to treat them like cheaters (I DISCONNECT ALL THE TIME BECAUSE MY ROUTER SUCKS AND THATS WHY I HAVE NO ONLINE GOW ACHIEVEMENTS)

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Are you ever going to go online to just completely destroy some inexperienced players?
Now and then I actually will. I find it fun to ruin some inexperienced people now and then. However if I cannot communicate with the person I might not do it as much because I wouldn't be able to explain to them what they can do to improve. Then I will go easy on them and help them out a bit more.

Yeah. It is fun to use for some games. Overall I am not all about the competitive aspect though I like that the most. I still enjoy some cool explosions and stuff and I am really enjoy using items to help zone better, and to set up traps and such.

Probably will end up doing FC more often since I like playing with people on my level or above so I can learn quicker but I will do random matches now and then and see what the majority of casual smash players are doing.

Both. Smash is about variety. I will probably end up doing 1v1 and 2v2 more than Free for Alls but I will still do the item FFA now and again for fun.

I would like it. But it is not necessary but it would be nice.

You make it and I will join it. How about 2v2 coin? I have had fun with that with my friends.

Hours a day at first, would probably slow down after awhile if the online is too laggy.

They will receive a loss. Or there should be something on there ranking that shows disconnects and effects there ranking negatively.

Top Bottom