• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online SSBM

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
You know how you can go online with the original super smash bros using emulators? Well how long do you all think it will be until this is possible for melee. I can't help but prefer melee to brawl, but I need someone to play against. I'm still playing brawl and trying to make the best of it. I do like it, and I will play it. I just want to play melee online too.

Anyone know anything?

*UPDATED INFORMATION*
There are 2 kinds of people who want to make this happen.

-There are people like me, who only found out about melee's depth too late, hoped brawl would bring my chance to get into the competitive scene, then found brawl is so different it might as well be a different series. I was simply too young to have been involved anyway. Basically, these are the 'late comers'.

-The old pros or great players who love melee and don't like brawl as much.

Currently attension is swinging to brawl, the newer, prettier game, but we have to unite and make melee played. I doubt MLG is going to be hosting any new melee tournaments. With melee supporters fewer and harder to find than before the best way to unite is using online play. With online play, someone 3 hours (or more) away can be played regularly, hopefully with little lag.

The question is: how do we make this happen?
Dolphin is the best option. However I suggest dolphin is altered (with permission and credit to original makers) to make a "Super Smash Bros Melee exclusive edition." Whether or not dolphin could be made to better fit a single game to make it faster, I'm not sure. I do know however that it could be made to support online play. Ease of use is important, because this will encourage more people to play online. If it can be made to make melee run faster, that would be awesome too. However, the most important thing we need is a few melee-lovers (maybe just one?) to work on this, and we as the community would need to support him/them in the project. It is important not to beg "WHY AREN'T YOU DONE!! RELEASE ALREADY!! YOU DON'T WORK ENOUGH!!!" We need help, and we can't accomplish this without a skilled programmer.

So right now searching for a willing programmer is probably the first step. If you are reading this and can do something... please help!

Information on Dolphin:
http://www.dolphin-emu.com/

With the newest "Dolphin 1.03.2 x64", a good computer, and a 64 bit operating system, it should be possible to do what Chaoscode claims on the front page: "SSBM is 100% playable with 100% speed on my crappy computer." I doubt his computer is actually that "crappy". This is the goal, with computers constantly increasing in processing power, before long even someone with a below average computer should be able to play. It is probably possible for this to happen right now if you want to go out and buy a nice computer.

Now for my personal experience with Dolphin:
my comp specs are:
3.00 Ghz CPU
1.00 Gb of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache (graphics card)
Windows XP, not a 64 bit OP, so I can't use "Dolphin 1.03.2 x64"
anything important I'm missing?

Using Dolphin v1.02
10fps on Target Test (faster because there is only one character, no CPU's to worry about)
7fps on vs match (typically freezes before too long)

obviously these aren't acceptable, but at least the game runs...
I've gotten other versions and extra applications that work with dolphin to work and work better, but I'm having trouble with them right now. I'll edit when I see what they can do again.

Zodiac

Smash Master
There already is a way to play melee online but its not completly done yet and so far it only works with version 1 of the game.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
landmaster
What is this all about? ...ok

Well what else do you all know about online melee? All I could find anything about is the thing where you can play online with the gamecube using the built in lan adapter (apparently though its laggy and my gamecube can't read discs anymore)
do you think you can point me in the direction of how its possible, or at least maybe who is working on it or something?
Also I got Melee to work on my computer (3.00ghz, 1gb ram, decent grahics card) up to about 5 fps during actual gameplay. Its not really playable, but its a start. Target Test/Homerun Contest both work really great because theres only one person, and no computer needs to be controlled. Normal gameplay freezes pretty easily though.
I hope this works out soon...

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Technology's advancing way too fast. If Melee was playable online like Smash 64 is, I'd ****ing die.
It runs at like 3-10 fps, thats hardly playable...
but if you got one of the top of the line computers, I think you could get it to run almost perfectly. Quad Core 3.5 Ghz Cpu, 4 Gb ram? I think that would do the job easily.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Dude playing melee online is illegal
a lot of things are illegal. dont be stupid.

if you guys figure this **** out im so down. im not exactly a computer wiz but once all the specs are figured out ill join in this quest.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Dude playing melee online is illegal
Theres nothing illegal about playing melee online in itself, emulators are not illegal either. Possession of games digitally that you don't own is illegal. Thing is, if you don't rip the game from your own disc than it is considered illegal. I really don't see how it is different where you get it from as long as you own it. I own the game, so my concience is clear. Besides, worst case scenario is that if you somehow got caught for possession of the game on your computer (which you've already paid $50 for, and is now 6 years old) you may get a warning and be told to remove it from your computer, or you may have a few hours of community service.

Of course cops are too busy worrying about murders and robbers to be worried that you downloaded a game that you own on the computer.
*cops break into my house, check all my files, and send me to death row*

protokid

Smash Cadet
If ssbm became online i`d be totally owned by the pro`s...

I don`t know why but, I like to see the expression of the other players when they get pwned!

javitr91

Smash Rookie
I seriously hope that this idea happens soon...

And how do you play N64 games online, Project 64?

javitr91

Smash Rookie
Well the main reason I was going to get a Wii was for brawl and because it was online.

After playing at my friend's house I would GLADLY trade in my Wii + PS3 for melee online.

That would kick some serious @$$

protokid

Smash Cadet
That would really be great!
But that`ll take some more time I guess...

Edit: Oops posted in here before, now this post doesn`t make any sense... SORRY!

Zodiac

Smash Master

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Melee online would be epic. But only if there was zero lag. What makes melee so amazing for competition is that it requires incredibly precise skill. Any lag at all would pretty much screw it over. Brawl works alright online because a little bit of lag doesn't affect the game that much.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I cant beleive no one has mentioned this yet, theres even been matches with this program

http://www.geocities.com/the_psychotic_worm/ssbmonlinetutorial.htm

its called gcars and it was developed by phsycotic worm. go there learn, be happy and buy pso.

http://www.geocities.com/the_psychotic_worm/ssbmonlinevideos.htm

these are videos of melee online play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lgancKccYQ this one is aftermath(Oregon/Samus) vs Glook(Missouri/Falcon)
I actually found this already, but from what I could tell its pretty laggy, it requires alot of things I don't own, and I don't think I'm ever gonna find anyone else to play with. Besides, my gamecube is broken and I have to play melee on my wii (or on an emulator)

Melee online would be epic. But only if there was zero lag. What makes melee so amazing for competition is that it requires incredibly precise skill. Any lag at all would pretty much screw it over. Brawl works alright online because a little bit of lag doesn't affect the game that much.
Definately, little lag is of utmost importance, but lag on computers is generally less than on consoles (especially wii) so hopefully if this comes around it will be lag-less. It definately ruins the game if its laggy...

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i say we get all the real players, not those new brawl scrubs who think their pro because they spam wolfs fsmash. lmao

anyway we get all of us as a community and work for a non laggy regeional melee online.

hell i woudlnt care if the 6 years spent making brawl would of just added the final d song and online for melee. is that too much to ask? T_______T anyway id kill for melee online. i say we work to make this come true s finally ditch brawl

protokid

Smash Cadet
true, true

If you already own a copy of the game, it isnt illegal....i think i heard that somewhere...
That`s true.
Some rom sites show a user agreement (wich most poeple never read) before you can enter the roms section.
It's only illegal if you don`t own a original copy. :bee:

IrArby

Smash Ace
Smashboards is an amazing thing. I was wishfully thinking of something like this yesterday. Today I get on BAM! it was already there! If its possible I'm more than down. I spent 250$ and a hunk of gas money to get a Wii almost exclusively for Brawl. I don't even have a Laptop anymore but I'd get one for Online Melee!

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see alot of interest in this idea! Thing is WE have to make it happen, maybe I'll update the first post with more instead of saying what I need to say here...

Top Bottom