• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online tourney's unfair and poorly monitored

Are Online Tournaments fair?

• Total voters

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
I participated in an online tournament for 3DS that I signed up for on Challonge. I was about to go against someone and ready to add their FC but he already submitted that he won before we could even fight thus sending me to the loser's bracket. They just aren't as real as actually being there so was wondering if y'all feel the same

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
This is the tournament OP is talking about. http://challonge.com/iSmash3DStwo

I'm the guy OP is talking about. I haven't ever used Challonge before.

I thought you were a no-show because on your first fight you won 0/0, something the TO was doing to randomly settle no-shows.

I was also talking with the guy before me that you were supposed to fight, and you counted as a win against him even though he was ready. So you did the same thing to that guy, and I didn't know if you were actually playing or just reporting wins without playing.

The first two fights that I did were already no-shows too, so I was expecting more of it.

It would have been easily settled if we were able to reset the matches, but they were locked on the first report every time.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I say wait for the online tournament option to come out for the wii u

o wait.........

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Online tournaments simply do not matter. Do them for fun if you like and don't lose sleep over any issues that come up.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Online tournaments simply do not matter. Do them for fun if you like and don't lose sleep over any issues that come up.
What about that online tournament for 500 dollars? And the other one thats going to hosted at the start of next year for 1000 dollars?

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
As cool as online tournaments are they shouldn't affect your ranking in anyway for your local scene or even nationwide. Don't complain about a nice free way to practice against people who are competitive that only takes up your time.

If someone says they won against you and you haven't even played yet then you just have to deal with it. You obviously hadn't taken the time to contact that person or that person didn't take the time to contact you. So if you didn't reach out to play, then it's possible that you didn't take this tournament seriously. Same case goes for the opponent.

Either or, you should've talked to the TO about it and they can help settle it. If there is no TO, which i doubt, then it's a lost cause.

I mean I understand the salt, but there is nothing to cry about. Unless money was on the line, I wouldn't care too much about it.

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
Double Posting Warning Received
was there nothing in place to let you dispute the win?
No, because once the match decision has been entered then you cannot reverse it

This is the tournament OP is talking about. http://challonge.com/iSmash3DStwo

I'm the guy OP is talking about. I haven't ever used Challonge before.

I thought you were a no-show because on your first fight you won 0/0, something the TO was doing to randomly settle no-shows.

I was also talking with the guy before me that you were supposed to fight, and you counted as a win against him even though he was ready. So you did the same thing to that guy, and I didn't know if you were actually playing or just reporting wins without playing.

The first two fights that I did were already no-shows too, so I was expecting more of it.

It would have been easily settled if we were able to reset the matches, but they were locked on the first report every time.
I realize this but I didn't really have a choice because my next match was up, but I should have been more considerate

As cool as online tournaments are they shouldn't affect your ranking in anyway for your local scene or even nationwide. Don't complain about a nice free way to practice against people who are competitive that only takes up your time.

If someone says they won against you and you haven't even played yet then you just have to deal with it. You obviously hadn't taken the time to contact that person or that person didn't take the time to contact you. So if you didn't reach out to play, then it's possible that you didn't take this tournament seriously. Same case goes for the opponent.

Either or, you should've talked to the TO about it and they can help settle it. If there is no TO, which i doubt, then it's a lost cause.

I mean I understand the salt, but there is nothing to cry about. Unless money was on the line, I wouldn't care too much about it.
Gotcha, I'm not upset about it, I just needed some opinions

Last edited by a moderator:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I voted unfair, but not for the reason you think. Submitting false scores isn't all that common in the 10+ online tournaments I've been in. The larger the online tournament the greater chances of questions/request being ignored or left unanswered by the TO, that's a good reason to get extra staff with bigger events. iSmash3dsTwo didn't have a clean run, but that's also due to players being ignorant of reading the extensive rules set out and perhaps even being new to challonge. (Hence you guys mentioned your unfamiliarity with challonge.)

The reason I voted that they're unfair is input lag changes every opponent you verse. If someone has a bad connection (or you both have a terrible connection to each other) then they are used to that input lag and may even be spamming projectiles at your "Get back to you in a sec" Character. Your next match can be a local duel with the following match being the typical online experience. But it sucks to make it deep in tournament only to lose to 1 second delay Spamus, MetalBladeCrashBomberman, or any character really. You're not on equal turf with your opponent unless you have a clean solid connection, anything else is favorable to delay experience and/or a character in that delay.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@ Victor Marczyk Victor Marczyk , please do not double post. Double posting is to make consecutive posts one after another without any sort of breaks/other users posts. You made 3 posts within a very short span. If you make a p@ost but wish to add something else, you can click the "Edit" button to go to the "Post Editor" to include what you want added. If you would like to reply to someone but you already posted, here is an easy way to do that.

1. Go to the post you wish to quote and hit reply. This copies and pastes it into your post message box on the bottom of the page. You can reply to more than one post by going to various posts you which to reply too, hit "Reply". They will be pasted down in the post message box.
  2. Select the entirety of the message and copy it. Go to your previously posted message and click "Edit". This takes you to the editor.
  3. Go into the editor and paste it after your previously written message. Viola. You avoided double posting and you have learned how to edit your posts and include previous replies.
Please keep this in mind the next time as Double Post is against the Smashboards ToA and Global Rules and will result in penalties to your account. PM me if you have further questions.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Hey! I was on that tournament and tied in 9th place! What place did you win?

Last edited:
Top Bottom