• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only 5 Playable Stages... (explained)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
With the patience of a saint I have now read all pages and boy, was it a good laugh.

Everyone who doesn't understand, after several attempts of explanation, the difference between old/new FD, the importance of how walk of edges affect game play, and other various random effects, such as lava or cannonballs: LEAVE THIS THREAD, better yet, leave these boards.
Dude, don't be a ****er. You're the worst sort of extremist... the elitist kind. Kindly show some respect. Yes, Lava, cannonballs and walk-off edges affect play. So do small stages with no platforms. I think there's some evidence that Lucario can stall forever on FD, in fact. You can't ban everything.
Furthermore I wish for a button that immediately and without exception mutes all players who haven't even played Brawl yet, but speak in a position as if they have. If this is too much to be asking for, at least give me the option to quickly see in each user's signature or avatar, if he has the game or not. That way I know which posts I can effectively ignore.
Well, at least this is an intelligent thing to say. I agree with you there.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Fun fact.

Tourney levels are chosen for their functionality and their ability to keep things level for each player. Very minimum interactions are involved to keep the focus on the players combat and not having to worry to much on the level wanting to get a lick in.

Basic level schematics of choice are the three platform and large base platform design, or just simply the base platform. Basically, Straight line, or Straight line with smaller platforms. These two simple designed maps are perfect for keeping everything nice and tidy.

Tourney players pick a level for it's functionality, not for it's visual appeal. Truthfully, it could be restricted to 3 maps, those being FD, BF, and SV, and there would honestly be no difference.

You are in it to win it, so you will be focusing on your player, not the level.

If you find yourself concerned over the level's flashiness during tourney play, then you obviously aren't focusing on the match, and are not in it to win it.

3-5 levels are perfect for tourney play. At least if there is money involved. Public tournaments are different; do what you want. However, if you are so concerned over levels in a high stake tourney match, then you probably shouldn't be worried too much of playing the match to begin with.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Dude, don't be a ****er. You're the worst sort of extremist... the elitist kind. Kindly show some respect. Yes, Lava, cannonballs and walk-off edges affect play. So do small stages with no platforms. I think there's some evidence that Lucario can stall forever on FD, in fact. You can't ban everything.
Telling people to **** off because they can't read the explanations in said topic makes me an elitist? Then you need to look the word up in a dictionary or something.

True Fool

Smash Ace
This is all way too early to talk about. There are a few definite banned stages at this point, but condemning so many so fast doesn't seem wise. A lot of the stages you listed should do just fine as counter-pick stages.

3-5 makes perfect sense for neutral stages, but counter-picks are here to stay.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
This is all way too early to talk about. There are a few definite banned stages at this point, but condemning so many so fast doesn't seem wise. A lot of the stages you listed should do just fine as counter-pick stages.

3-5 makes perfect sense for neutral stages, but counter-picks are here to stay.
Isn't this what I said? :urg:

MetalGearLink

Smash Apprentice
people like topic starter ar the ones that give tourney players a bad name.

you are a noob and get stuck ounder final destination, or can't evoid the easy to avoid hands and bomb in final destination stop being a noob

you are the kind of people who wanted rainbow cruice and poke floats baned even if they are fair tourney legal, I can't belive you are still a noob afther all these years

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Other than lava, isn't it the player's fault if they get themselves killed by most hazards? Since they are avoidable and you can know ahead of time where they are/how they happen...

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
0K, I'm just gonna skip about 15 pages and give my two cents.

TC is correct, in tourney play the only playable stages are battlefield, final destination, smashville, lylat cruise and yoshis story. Tourney play should be about skill, not luck and alot of other stages have luck components (walk off stages are a bit of a grey area.)

However, i do disagree that luigis mansion is unplayable. The only thing about it are the breakable pillars and there hardly a huge problem.

Pokemon stadium 1 is also playable.

I'm not even a pro, but in tourney play, damage should only be dished out by the players themselves, not the surroundings they battle on.

darkhamsterlord

Smash Apprentice
That's gotta be the most stuck-up, snobby tourneyfaq statement I've ever heard on these forums.
You sir, should be ashamed.
Play the game as it's meant to be played: in its entirety.
Firstly, if the game was meant to only be played in it's entirety ALL the time (Not NEVER! Just not ALL THE TIME), then items wouldn't be possible to turn off, and if you play a stage too many times without playing the others, it wouldn't let you pick it until you've played the other stages some.

Also, WHY THE MERF DO YOU CARE!? Are they FORCING you to play by thier rules? Are they pointing a gun at your head, screaming "TURN ITEMS OFF AND PLAY ON THESE PRE-SELECTED STAGES OR I SHOOT YOU"? NO THEY'RE NOT.

You sir, are ignorant.

Oh, also, this thread fails. You can't determine this sort of thing in a little over a week, it takes time! Atleast wait until the game's been out in america for a few months.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Once again, only about half the people on this thread seem to know why Melee stages were selected the way they were. The other half only ACTS like they know.

And to those whining about tournament rules...NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO GO TO THEM. You can always HOST a tournament yourself with your OWN ruleset. Put every stage on! Put all items on! If you can run a successful tournament, then props to you. However, once everyone starts picking Hyrule and New Pork City and the tournament results start becoming inconsistent, you'll start seeing why the rules are done they way they are.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Im so confused as to why people join a tournament/pro centered board, where the main focus is high level play, then proceed to bash all aspects of this type of play.

Ive qouted this before and I'll qoute it again. Sakarai wants us to play it how we want. So play how you want and dont worry about how we play.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iwata Asks Interview With Brawl Creator Sakarai
Sakurai

Right. The more effort you invest, the bigger the payoff in terms of fun. This is true of exchanging Snapshots too; players come up with forms of game play that we would never think of on our own. In this way, our resources are limited only by the number of our players, and it would be a waste not to let players enjoy the ideas of other players.

Iwata

I agree. Nowadays, just looking at the Check Mii Out Channel shows how the ideas of our players outpace our own.

Sakurai

Right.

Iwata

I’m truly impressed by Wii players. They come up with ways to play and use the Wii that would never occur to us.

superorange

Smash Rookie
I thought we had established that walk-off edges were perfectly fine in Brawl, seeing as how Fox can no longer wave-shine?

Particularly in stages like Isle Delfino, where they go away after a bit.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Falco has the laser infinite that would lead to a definite KO. Though I think we cant really claim what stages will be banned until tournaments are established. Considering its only out in japan, talk about what is and isn't allowed in future tournaments is merely speculation.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Honestly, 5 or 6 stages ON RANDOM isn't that bad. That's the same amount we had in melee. Some of the other stages could easily be counter picks though.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
We already have a stage debate thread in uh, yeah, STAGE DISCUSSION. So we really don't need one here has well, especially one that is very short-sighted on what potential competitive Brawl may have when it comes to stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom