• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Open Source and Independent Games - New Games Added - 10.04.2010

Darkslash

Smash Master
Bootfighter Windom Xp: If it wasn't obvious with the Windom name, Windom XP is a Gundam vs Gundam clone. It has all your Real Robot Genre elements. Giant Robots killing each other with Beam Sabers,Beam Rifles, Giant Anti Mobile Suit swords and my personal favorite, the Macross Missile Massacre. The only thing that could make it better is online play right? Ohh it has that too, but I never figured it out XD.

http://mirrormoon.org/projects/windom
There is a retail version which is more of the traditional Gundam vs Gundam game's with unlockable's ,items and new mechs, but it cost 2700 yen.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/alexholth/ukwindomxp/

Yea I also had a Macross P.C game in mind, but I lost the website for the installer. D:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Since this topic is growing quickly, would anyone want to actually make something out of it? I mean there are 30+ free games listed here. I think if we each take a few games, play them review them, and rate them, we could have a viable topic that would be pretty useful.

Thoughts?

Darkslash

Smash Master
Since this topic is growing quickly, would anyone want to actually make something out of it? I mean there are 30+ free games listed here. I think if we each take a few games, play them review them, and rate them, we could have a viable topic that would be pretty useful.

Thoughts?
Well I always wanted to review Maplestory....but at the rate it's going that may be hard, but I'm sure there are some people up for the challenge.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I would love to review games. I'd be totally up for this.

But yeah, if I can, I want Cave Story.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Hmm I would love to review games That I used to put in 2 hours a day.

also here another game at you

Air Rivals/Ace Online: Maybe some of you may of heard this game under Space Cowboy Online. Now split into two regions, Air Rivals(Euro) and Ace Online(U.S). Basically the same game, with different communities. In AR/AO you are a mercenary pilot. You have a choice of 4 craft or Gears. The I Gear is your infantry unit and done right the most deadliest. The B gear is your bomber and is a heavy hitter. The M Gear is the Helicoptor/Gunship/Medic, being the only gear to travel backwards, and having tons of healing skills. The A gear is a hover anti aircraft tank, with it having the highest DPS(damage per second) in the game. The main story of AR/AO is that 2 nations are pitted against each other. One end you have your typical Freedom fighter fraction named the AN(Arlington National Influence). On the other side of the conflict, you have the "evil" government fraction named the BCU(Bygeniu(sp?) City United). Its often been described as a mix between World of WarCraft and Ace Combat.

There are no IP restriction's as I can play Air Rivals.

Air Rivals
Ace Online

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I would be interested in helping out with some reviews. To start out with, I can take Eversion.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Air Rivals, eh. Badly coded [it bugs hard on Vista], doesn't make use of the Graphics Card too much so it's hard to get a good FPS, leaks from what I hear, and all the grinding that has to be done to level up. 2 days of griding just to level up at the upper middle levels.

I see my brother play it a lot.

Anyone else though of building their own games? Let's get some discussion going.
Yeah, it's what I'm doing now. As far as enjoying it, I don't seem to like designing games too much, but I love making the engine. As far as games themselves I prefer to play them, but hte underlying engine can be fun if I poke at it bit by bit.

I made a rendering engine to make the drawing easier, and now I'm working on the game engine. Decided to stick with C# since I don't have money for C++ books.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Now you're a hero, you've managed to beat the whole **** ga-ame!

We're happy you made it, but how are you gonna spend the rest of this day?

Maybe watch a video, maybe press refresh and start again.

YHTBTR is easily one of my top 10 flash games.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Score! I was added as Lead Writer to an indie game that is in the same vein as Bioshock and Fallout 3. It's a small project that is in pre-production, but they are really serious about the work, which I appreciate it. I am assuming it will either fizzle out or something, but I'm pretty excited to finally get some experience. They pitched the story, and I tweaked it to something SO much better.

Overload

Smash Lord
I used to be addicted to an mmo called Cronous. I would play for about 6 hours a day.

33. Cronous - http://cronous.neofun.com/
The game is free to play but you can purchase various things with money. This game bears some resemblance to Diablo 2. The only thing that really bugs me about this game is when you get to the later levels it's extremely hard to level up. Mages are one of the hardest classes to level up and I started having trouble around 83. Valkyries are probably the easiest class to level up. Once you're at level 90 or above, it's practically impossible to train by yourself and you will need to form a party with someone.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Since I got Ubuntu Linux up and running, I decided to get into Open Source games. Here is the best I could find:

Spring RTS - http://www.springrts.com/ - Spring came about thanks to the amazing game, Total Annihilation. For the deprived, TA was the end-all-be-all of RTS games. The game is actually just the engine, so you will have to download mods. Read their site for information.

Spring manages to take everything that was great about TA, and bring it to a new audience. There are some amazing mods, including a cool Star Wars one in the works. For Linux users, the package for it comes with Kernal Panic. Kernal Panic is a wireframe RTS mod where you have a base and you fight wire frames. It's simplistic in graphics, but the depth is still there.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Don't look back made me cry, and its the best game I played in years. I was very happy to see it was included in the list.
Going to go through here for a game that can effect me as emotionally as this one.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
For those interested, there is a great deal on a great game. Check this out. 3 games for $10:

http://frictionalgames.com/site/node/91

The company meant for this to be their finally, but the ended up selling enough to make money and are going to make another game.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Now that I have my epic new hard drive, I'm gonna max out on games. XD

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You cannot call yourself a Linux gamer if you don't have at least most of these games, Buzz: http://live.linux-gamers.net/?s=games

Sauerbraten is supposed to be really good. Also, there is a Warsow game this weekend on the Ubuntu forums if you are interested.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Since I got Ubuntu Linux up and running, I decided to get into Open Source games. Here is the best I could find:

Spring RTS - http://www.springrts.com/ - Spring came about thanks to the amazing game, Total Annihilation. For the deprived, TA was the end-all-be-all of RTS games. The game is actually just the engine, so you will have to download mods. Read their site for information.

Spring manages to take everything that was great about TA, and bring it to a new audience. There are some amazing mods, including a cool Star Wars one in the works. For Linux users, the package for it comes with Kernal Panic. Kernal Panic is a wireframe RTS mod where you have a base and you fight wire frames. It's simplistic in graphics, but the depth is still there.
The spring engine looks nice. IF I ever get a laptop dedicated to Modding games or the stuff, I may play around and make a small Gravity front mod for this.

Is there any pointers on how I should build a Mod/Dev Laptop? P.C may be considered if I can afford a second comp. I feel like I should start as early as possible if I ever want to get into the industry.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Laptops aren't great. Simple as that. They are for utility over power, so you won't get much. For a PC, to mod, you want a decent amount of RAM, processing speed, and video card power on top of hardware space. Finally, it's smart to go with a version of Linux to not only build your Linux/programming chops, but because programming is easier. Spring is open-source so it works on Linux, quite well.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Laptops aren't great. Simple as that. They are for utility over power, so you won't get much. For a PC, to mod, you want a decent amount of RAM, processing speed, and video card power on top of hardware space. Finally, it's smart to go with a version of Linux to not only build your Linux/programming chops, but because programming is easier. Spring is open-source so it works on Linux, quite well.
Ahh thanks for the tips, but I assumed to get a laptop first, because I could do some programing at school as well. I got some free blocks in my schedule this year(most of the time its a 1:15), and I thought I could possibly work on mods during that time.

So any specific specs at all?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The video card is laptops will be pretty horrible, but you can go the same path basically: a lot of ram, a 64-Bit OS (preferably Linux), and a big HDD.

That'll help with modding.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Looking for interest in an open source gaming night.

Currently, I think we should do a really simple game like Wormux or something, but would anyone be interested?

Scott!

Smash Lord
It would depend on the kind of game for me, but I'd be interested. How would it be structured? Would we just all pick a day and an approximate time to play, and discuss it here as we play? That might be fun.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'd make a topic, if there was more than 1 person, or a group or something. Ideally, we need 8 people, and we can do things like L4D and Savage 2.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Hmm,cool thread, thought I might add something to the list
Its called "Blitz Sonic" theres no actual website besides doing their progress solely on youtube.
Theres cool mods there like the 2d engine and the Unleashed engine.
It still lacks alot but has many of the fundamental features of a 3d sonic game.
Most notable developers (?) makers:
-Twilightzoney01 , the active head of the Blitz Sonic project
-Bagjac, mostly makes new functions relating to the core engine and even the character models
-11Supersonic11, a very active member of Sonic Blitz, he comes up with new ideas and
-Damizean, maker of 2d sonic fangame engines, but here, he finally developed the base engine from the ground up

EDIT: Here's the latest test video of Blitz Sonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J9q5LiifyY&feature=channel_page

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I wasn't sure where I should post about this, but this is quite possibly the best flash game ever created. It's called Miami Shark. You play as a shark, and your objective is to kill or destroy as many ducks, people, dolphins, boats, and aircraft as you possibly can. Easily the most fun I've had in months.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
It's been a little while since I posted here last, but guess what! I made a game!

It's a SHMUP, you get to shoot bullets and missiles and blow stuff up, and you have to dodge lots and lots of bullets. If your bored could you try it and tell me what you think>

Well, it's not complete yet though, it only has two levels so far (when it's done it will have 10) and can be beaten it about 8 minutes, if you can beat, I've tried to make it very challenging...

Here's the URL
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/103152

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
openarena -> http://openarena.ws/smfnews.php
it's basically an opensource quake 3 arena, so it's a fast paced first person shooter.
Heavily focused on multiplayer, there are several competitive clans that play. It is more popular in europe, but there is still a solid north american community.

I hope some people can give it a try :)

Top Bottom