• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Optimal controller set up?

AeroHeadVG

Smash Rookie
I'm a fairly new Peach player, and I was wondering how you all set your controls, and how you hold the controller itself (do you claw)? Any input would be helpful.

busken

Smash Ace
It honestly comes down to how you are most comfortable and efficient while playing.

Last edited:

Ei_to_z

Smash Rookie
claw grip is great for peach
So would one have to learn how to shorthop and jump efficiently using the index finger?
I've actually been having some trouble with this since I switched from using the Wii U gamepad to a gamecube controller. I got used to having my thumb on the face buttons for jumps and my index finger to pull on the secondary stick to Dair while floating. Now that I have a c stick down there instead, I have significant trouble floating on the fly, since it implies changing my grip, so that my thumb can reach the c stick.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Set Jump to one of the triggers (L, R or Z, whatever floats your boat). I highly recommed this as it makes floating aerials a million times easier and faster.

Ei_to_z

Smash Rookie
That's actually what I did! Glad to know I'm not crazy for trying it. It's very confusing though, it'll take some getting used to.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Set Jump to one of the triggers (L, R or Z, whatever floats your boat). I highly recommed this as it makes floating aerials a million times easier and faster.
Set Jump to one of the triggers (L, R or Z, whatever floats your boat
whatever floats your boat
huehuehue

I personally finding Clawing very uncomfortable so I stick with normal controller setup. For a Gamecube controller, I position my right thumb so that the joint can press down on X whilst the tip of my thumb is free to press for Floating Aerials.

However, I don't think it's the most optimal set up since you can't do Floating Aerials with the C Stick so setting Jump to something else would probably be more beneficial. I've never managed to master short hops using one of the shoulder buttons...

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
huehuehue

I personally finding Clawing very uncomfortable so I stick with normal controller setup. For a Gamecube controller, I position my right thumb so that the joint can press down on X whilst the tip of my thumb is free to press for Floating Aerials.

However, I don't think it's the most optimal set up since you can't do Floating Aerials with the C Stick so setting Jump to something else would probably be more beneficial. I've never managed to master short hops using one of the shoulder buttons...
LOL I swear that wasn't intentional.

It may take some time getting used too but setting jump to one of the shoulder buttons is the best option imo. I can shorthop consistently with it :p

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
As with any Smash game, I think comfort is of the utmost importance. I know folks who tap jump and live by it. I can't fathom how they do it, especially wavedashing in PM. Regardless, claw is supposedly ideal for Peach's float shenanigans. I myself use default controls in every other game for the sake of coherence when switching back and forth, but I may break that trend. Putting jump on a trigger may be useful for Peach especially if JC Glide Tossing becomes as useful as it seems.

The best advice I can give is to just try everything, or stick with what you're used to. If your hand starts cramping up after playing for 20 minutes, that's no good.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
I keep it default.

I keep my index finger on Z my middle finger on R and my left index on L.

When I wants to float I take the ball of my right index finger on Y for jump, and use the C stick for airs and return to original position on release.

Pretty simple.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Peach isn't my main but I enjoy playing as her.

I find this really easy for floating aerials.

jump using x/y and hold the button down.
At the point you want to float tap down on the control stick (not c-stick)
Continue holding x/y
Now using your finger that is holding down x/y use it to hit A with a direction on the control stick for your aerials.
If you want to stop floating just let go of x/y

Jarb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6167-0433
jump using x/y and hold the button down.
At the point you want to float tap down on the control stick (not c-stick)
Continue holding x/y
Now using your finger that is holding down x/y use it to hit A with a direction on the control stick for your aerials.
If you want to stop floating just let go of x/y
This is how I do it too, but all other jumping, including short hops, is done with tap jump. Probably a bad habit, but eh, I'll switch if I find it causing issues; it's only difficult for me to do a short hop into up air which seems kind of useless anyway. I rarely feel the need to trigger a float partway through a double jump, but I'll simply hold X and hit down at that point to do so. If I'm floating as a recovery, I use the control stick because the float won't be part of the following attack if it even occurs.

Performing vertical tilts on the fly is awkward for me on the 3DS, so I'm thinking about using the c-stick on the Wii U version just for that.

Last edited:

koen_happy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4639-8990-5213
I use the triggers for jump so that I can easily perform aerials

Top Bottom